Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

I fear ye are both right, to a degree.

One can give so much just to be at a somewhat functional level, it can be hard to muster up the will to give any more.

fr336 wrote: »
    When people's anxiety is at its worst, do you feel like when one thing finishes another starts? Like your body is just angling to be made anxious. E.g. Hot body turns cold, one noise stops another starts, it's like a constant flurry of head noise across your mind and body? Sorry if I'm describing most experiences of anxiety here.

What's happening there FR?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

What's happening there FR?

Just too weak a person and everythings pissing me off lol

Just too weak a person and everythings pissing me off lol

I hear ya mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

I fear ye are both right, to a degree.

One can give so much just to be at a somewhat functional level, it can be hard to muster up the will to give any more.

If you mean therapy then it is one hour a week. You could even go every second week. You mention that you get bored at weekends. If you had a Saturday apt then you at least are getting out and about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

I went to a counsellor the other day, everything a cliche of such people would tell you. Yawn.....

I went to a counsellor the other day, everything a cliche of such people would tell you. Yawn.....

Plain old psychotheraoy is a pile of ****e. It may work for others but definitely not for me. I wonder if it has helped anyone.

Sorry to hear that.

I got this during the week. http://m.bookdepository.com/Secret-Garden-Johanna-Basford/9781780671062 . So far I'm finding it really good. It's meant to be good for mindfulness. It's a good distraction. Forces you to concentrate on what you are doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

greenfrogs wrote: »
    Plain old psychotheraoy is a pile of ****e. It may work for others but definitely not for me. I wonder if it has helped anyone.
    I've found it very helpful. But I think a lot of it is down to what the therapist is like. Like in every profession, some therapists are crap at their job. I guess I've been lucky in that I've been able to work with two very good ones over the years.

I feel like the fact that I post in here talking about how unwell I am maybe makes it seem like therapy hasn't been useful for me. But I don't think it's that simple really - therapy has really helped with some of my issues, but others (mainly the behaviour/mood stuff) isn't something that can by simply worked on by psychotherapy. So that's where other things like DBT comes in.

I've spent the evening watching clips from my favourite show (Community). It was a nice way to spend an evening :) And I got some life admin stuff done today, which is good.

• Advertisement

I've found it very helpful. But I think a lot of it is down to what the therapist is like. Like in every profession, some therapists are crap at their job. I guess I've been lucky in that I've been able to work with two very good ones over the years.

I feel like the fact that I post in here talking about how unwell I am maybe makes it seem like therapy hasn't been useful for me. But I don't think it's that simple really - therapy has really helped with some of my issues, but others (mainly the behaviour/mood stuff) isn't something that can by simply worked on by psychotherapy. So that's where other things like DBT comes in.

I've spent the evening watching clips from my favourite show (Community). It was a nice way to spend an evening :) And I got some life admin stuff done today, which is good.

That's good that you found it useful. I suppose I've been to 3 different psychotherapists. In the long term none of them were helpful. CBT works for me mainly because I knew my behaviour and thoughts weren't similar to others. The bpd traits have driven me demented. Cbt has reduced the bpd behaviours but not enough that I feel it is under control.

I know what you mean about posting here just when you're down. I mean there are many hours in the day and a negative post here does not mean the whole day was terrible. It's just a reflection about what's going on at that moment.

Right now I hate everything. I'm sick of being sick. I'm very stressed about my job interview next week. It's for a full time position although I can't work full time due to dbt therapy.Beginning to wonder why should I bother going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

I have been to therapy for the last few weeks and while I enjoy it realistically it's not gonna solve my anxiety/depression situation. It has allowed me to see where the problems might be coming from and how to calm myself down at times.

so far, I have discovered that I have linked panic with things like exerise, being far away from home and being stuck in heavy traffic and using motorways for some reason. I have also discovered that pin pointing where it comes from can be impossible and these problems can stem from sleeping patterns, diet, exercise, childhood, sexual abuse, genetics ect...

Sometimes it scares me that noone truly understands depression/anxiety and that there is no answer to my problems.

I really don't believe therapy is worth the heavy price some people pay for it though...

carzony wrote: »
    I have been to therapy for the last few weeks and while I enjoy it realistically it's not gonna solve my anxiety/depression situation. It has allowed me to see where the problems might be coming from and how to calm myself down at times.

so far, I have discovered that I have linked panic with things like exerise, being far away from home and being stuck in heavy traffic and using motorways for some reason. I have also discovered that pin pointing where it comes from can be impossible and these problems can stem from sleeping patterns, diet, exercise, childhood, sexual abuse, genetics ect...

Sometimes it scares me that noone truly understands depression/anxiety and that there is no answer to my problems.

I really don't believe therapy is worth the heavy price some people pay for it though...

It sounds beneficial but with its limitations. It's good that you are identifying triggers and coping skills. It can be good to offload as well.

I'm not sure we will ever pinpoint where our problems come from. Why do I suffer from depression, social anxiety whilst none of my siblings do. One psychotherapist kept insisting my issues stemmed from childhood. I couldn't remember anything that could of triggered it. Yet she was insistent. There is no way she could of known if that was true or not. It's not an exact science.

The price of therapy is ridiculous. I have spent nearly a grand on it. Now I get it through the hse and find it really good. My last psychotherapist was giving out to me for how I spent my money and that I was irresponsible with it. She was charging me 65 euro a session. I was on the dole. I was paying for meds and doctors aptt as well. She actually was questioning me on the cost of each. I had lost my job very unexpectedly a few weeks earlier. I wish I complained about her.

*bro-hugs*

We all feel like that at times C. It doesn't mean that there is no answer though. It might take some time but it will be found.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

It sounds beneficial but with its limitations. It's good that you are identifying triggers and coping skills. It can be good to offload as well.

I'm not sure we will ever pinpoint where our problems come from. Why do I suffer from depression, social anxiety whilst none of my siblings do. One psychotherapist kept insisting my issues stemmed from childhood. I couldn't remember anything that could of triggered it. Yet she was insistent. There is no way she could of known if that was true or not. It's not an exact science.

The price of therapy is ridiculous. I have spent nearly a grand on it. Now I get it through the hse and find it really good. My last psychotherapist was giving out to me for how I spent my money and that I was irresponsible with it. She was charging me 65 euro a session. I was on the dole. I was paying for meds and doctors aptt as well. She actually was questioning me on the cost of each. I had lost my job very unexpectedly a few weeks earlier. I wish I complained about her.

The hse has quite a good system for people seeking councelling. it's a bit short with only 8 sessions available but i'm sure it's not suitable/long enough for people with severe problems though.

I've had the anxiety problems since a child and only realised that during the sessions. I can't see myself getting better anytime soon.

The hse has quite a good system for people seeking councelling. it's a bit short with only 8 sessions available but i'm sure it's not suitable/long enough for people with severe problems though.

I've had the anxiety problems since a child and only realised that during the sessions. I can't see myself getting better anytime soon.

I have been in counselling since September. I will be doing it for another 6 months. Thats with the hse mental health services.

Can totally relate C.

I have been in counselling since September. I will be doing it for another 6 months. Thats with the hse mental health services.

If I may ask, how did you get that counselling?

If I may ask, how did you get that counselling?

The consultant psychiatrist in my local mental health services referred me to it.

The consultant psychiatrist in my local mental health services referred me to it.

Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

TBH i fould a lot of the therapists i went to over the years didnt really understand what i was going through. You can read all the books in the world about depression and mental illness, but if you havent experienced it then you will never understand it.

mg1982 wrote: »
    TBH i fould a lot of the therapists i went to over the years didnt really understand what i was going through. You can read all the books in the world about depression and mental illness, but if you havent experienced it then you will never understand it.

Well said MG.

mg1982 wrote: »

What makes it even harder is how we pick therapists. I just googled them and picked from the top few. The reality is that we have no basis for picking the therapists. For me it was random selection. With the hse I was referred to the therapist that suited me best. Even on here you can't discuss individual therapists however I have seen posters can discuss individual doctors and dentists. In real life people don't discuss it if they are seeing a therapist so how can we chose who is right for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭NicoleW85

My first time posting in this thread. So glad I found it. I'm just over a week off turning 30 and I just had a meltdown this morning because I feel like I'm going round in continuous circles and never really getting anywhere. I was diagnosed with depression 5 years ago and pernicious Anaemia 3 years ago (the 2 are closely linked apparently), and I've had a rough time of it. My poor hubby of 7 years has had to put up with so much, and I'm lucky he's stood by me through the darkest times. I also have binge eating disorder and that's just a bloody nightmare in itself. I've just been referred to CBT SO IM Hoping I can get the help I need. I really want to enjoy my 30's!!!
    Anyway, nice to meet you all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Idonotknow.ie

I'm 42, have a family of two children. I'm out of work on long term sick leave for anxiety, anger, and depression.
    I don't want to take my meds anymore and have skipped some doses, this is my 4th day lying on my bed.
    My marriage is falling apart and my wife and I cannot get on at all. ..I want to leave and be on my own.
    I want to opt out of life, paying bills, doing tasks, even leaving the house.
    I'm lost in my head..i've to many worries...have to move house, can't find one....I want to hide away from it all

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

There are certainly some conditions where it is not a good idea to stop taking your medication.

I am depressed myself often but I like to think I am a natural born fighter. Being a fighter is something that I admire greatly in the human condition.

I don't mean physical fighting ; I mean fighting with the challenges that Life throws at me. I am also a stubborn barsteward which can be a little useful in this situation.

Other than advising you to NOt stop Taking your medication without Medical consultation I am not qualified to advise you.

Except the fighting stuff and the stubborn stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭whats newxt

one must imagine sisyphus happy. Anyway the fact that you would post here indicates that you want help.

I've been trying for 6 years to pretend I'm happy...lately I just can't do it.
    I had a huge fight with my wife...she threw it in my face "why haven't I been locked up" (mental hospital)

I have too many negative situations come one after another, after another....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭whats newxt

I've been trying for 6 years to pretend I'm happy...lately I just can't do it.
    I had a huge fight with my wife...she threw it in my face "why haven't I been locked up" (mental hospital)

Mabye you should go yourself, tell them you want to try different medication and see how that goes. Have you been hospitalized before?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement