Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

NicoleW85 wrote: »
    Haha best part about it is, I'm from Antrim & he's from Cork, but Wicklow is where we wanna be :D Thanks - if it's meant to be it'll happen

Oh right! :o It appears my cyber-stalking/sleuthing abilities are declining! :D

Draw a line from Cork to Antrim and settle somewhere half way! :D

Don't worry N, it'll happen eventually! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭whats newxt

I've lost hope, nothing excites me anymore, i don't look forward to anything feel my life is like the myth of sisyphus, life is absurd.

I've lost hope, nothing excites me anymore, i don't look forward to anything feel my life is like the myth of sisyphus, life is absurd.

Hey there WN.

Welcome to the thread here.

A lot of us feel exactly like you described there. How long has it been like that for you?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

“If I convince myself that this life has no other aspect than that of the absurd, if I feel that its whole equilibrium depends on that perpetual opposition between my conscious revolt and the darkness in which it struggles, if I admit that my freedom has no meaning except in relation to its limited fate, then I must say that what counts is not the best living but the most living.

― Albert Camus, The Myth of Sisyphus and Other Essays

Hey there WN.

Welcome to the thread here.

A lot of us feel exactly like you described there. How long has it been like that for you?

about 4 years now, on and off, been seeing doctors and they are giving me medication that sort of works but they don't make happy if you know what i mean. I was hospitalized twice in the last year(those places nearly put more stress on you).

• Advertisement

Roquentin wrote: »
    “If I convince myself that this life has no other aspect than that of the absurd, if I feel that its whole equilibrium depends on that perpetual opposition between my conscious revolt and the darkness in which it struggles, if I admit that my freedom has no meaning except in relation to its limited fate, then I must say that what counts is not the best living but the most living.

― Albert Camus, The Myth of Sisyphus and Other Essays

Yes and he basically killed himself on a motorbike i take that as a refutation of "one must imagine sisyphus happy" crap.

about 4 years now, on and off, been seeing doctors and they are giving me medication that sort of works but they don't make happy if you know what i mean. I was hospitalized twice in the last year(those places nearly put more stress on you).

I know exactly what you mean there, yeah.

I have heard that being in hospital can be a truly horrible experience at times.

Maybe you will find some comfort in the thread here. There's a lot of experience between us all and it can be a great source of advice. Also, it's a place to rant and also to have some friendly banter too with like-minded people. :)

Yes and he basically killed himself on a motorbike i take that as a refutation of "one must imagine sisyphus happy" crap.

he was killed in a car crash

Roquentin wrote: »
    he was killed in a car crash

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6zaM5-Cnnc

well, this video suggests he was killed in a motorbike accident. so cant say.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6zaM5-Cnnc

well, this video suggests he was killed in a motorbike accident. so cant say.

it was a car crash. his publisher was driving it. rumours that soviet spies caused it, but i doubt. just travelling too fast. sad really because he was arguably the greatest writer of the 20th century. certainly one of my favorites

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭NicoleW85

My only real experience is in mental illness. I don't have a degree, just life experience. I'd love to know what percentage of care/support workers have depression - it's the one sector i loved working in the most and felt I 'belonged'. I wonder if there's a connection?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭timecurve12

Does anyone have any tips for having social anxiety and employment? I don't think anyone understands...I have tried to work before but got fired for being too nervous, which compounds my anxiety about working now. I feel really stuck with this one, as people just seem to tell me, well you just need to try. I would if I could! I really feel like no one understands this terrible fear I have.

Does anyone have any tips for having social anxiety and employment? I don't think anyone understands...I have tried to work before but got fired for being too nervous, which compounds my anxiety about working now. I feel really stuck with this one, as people just seem to tell me, well you just need to try. I would if I could! I really feel like no one understands this terrible fear I have.

So sorry to hear that TC. Very much a crap reason for firing someone. :mad:

Thanks Hugo. I know I have qualities that would make a good employee too, just my anxiety gets in the way :( I feel really stuck around the whole situation. I wish someone would see my potential and give me a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

Have you tried any therapy to help with the social anxiety timecurve? I know greenfrogs who posts here says that she has found CBT useful for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭cannotcope

Does anyone live alone feel awful lonely parents dead no family. and the girl is with someone else

Thanks EI, still on the waiting list for therapy. I just don't know about it really, like I'm assuming the therapist will try and get me out applying for jobs and such, but the actual anxiety I show, what can be done about that? I think the one thing I need is an employer or manager who understands social anxiety and genuinely likes me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

Thanks EI, still on the waiting list for therapy. I just don't know about it really, like I'm assuming the therapist will try and get me out applying for jobs and such, but the actual anxiety I show, what can be done about that? I think the one thing I need is an employer or manager who understands social anxiety and genuinely likes me.

I am doing cbt for social anxiety. The first thing was I had to do was fill out a questionnaire rating my anxiety in a number of different situations. My score at that time was in the very severe category. Then we slowly went through situations where I am anxious. One of the first ones was asking a question in college in front of the group. I hadn't done that in years. The therapist and I went through my fears and my predictions about this scenario. And together we came up with a plan to achieve it. I did it. It was really eye opening.

I've done a few different social situations and my fears and predictions never turn out to be true. At my last session I did the same questionnaire that I did at the start and my anxiety was in the normal category.

greenfrogs wrote: »
    I am doing cbt for social anxiety. The first thing was I had to do was fill out a questionnaire rating my anxiety in a number of different situations. My score at that time was in the very severe category. Then we slowly went through situations where I am anxious. One of the first ones was asking a question in college in front of the group. I hadn't done that in years. The therapist and I went through my fears and my predictions about this scenario. And together we came up with a plan to achieve it. I did it. It was really eye opening.

I've done a few different social situations and my fears and predictions never turn out to be true. At my last session I did the same questionnaire that I did at the start and my anxiety was in the normal category.

That sounds really helpful, I'm glad it worked so well for you. Did you ever come across as nervous/anxious in certain situations? That's one of my biggest fears, and to be honest it's the way I am a lot of the time so it's not like it's ungrounded. Or are you able to come across as 'normal' (as in a normal/appropriate amount of nervousness or confidence)

That sounds really helpful, I'm glad it worked so well for you. Did you ever come across as nervous/anxious in certain situations? That's one of my biggest fears, and to be honest it's the way I am a lot of the time so it's not like it's ungrounded. Or are you able to come across as 'normal' (as in a normal/appropriate amount of nervousness or confidence)

No I don't think I was coming across as normal. I definitely was incredibly unhappy and felt isolated from other people. It had gotten to an unbearable level.

• Advertisement

I'm glad to hear CBT has worked so well for you greenfrogs - I start next Wednesday, for different reasons, but secretly hoping he can make me 'normal' :)

I'm glad to hear CBT has worked so well for you greenfrogs - I start next Wednesday, for different reasons, but secretly hoping he can make me 'normal' :)

I know what you mean by 'normal'. I think it's all what we aim to achieve. Best of luck with it.

Best of luck with it N!

I have been fired as well. It really knocks your confidence. I was fired for poor work performance. I just didn't have the concentration or energy for it. For nearly a year I was signed off work. I'm looking for jobs again now. It is tough. I mean I had an interview this week but was so nervous, anxious and in a bad mood in the days leading up to it. I had depression as well as anxiety. I didn't even consider that I had social anxiety until my therapist suggested I might have it.

Thanks folks, I'm sure you'll hear all about it Wednesday afternoon ("oh joy", I hear you sigh) haha. For me, it's more about handling stressful situations without blowing a fuse. I grew up with a stress head of a mother who had regular outbursts, so I do worry about genetics there, but I must say, those days are few & far between but I don't trust myself that I can handl

Thanks folks, I'm sure you'll hear all about it Wednesday afternoon ("oh joy", I hear you sigh) haha. For me, it's more about handling stressful situations without blowing a fuse. I grew up with a stress head of a mother who had regular outbursts, so I do worry about genetics there, but I must say, those days are few & far between but I don't trust myself that I can handl

We genuinely look forward to hearing about it! :)

I don't blow my fuse often. I think I let the pressure build up a lot though. I dread to think what'll happen when I do explode! :eek: LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭scrimshanker

I don't know if I want to go to therapy any more. I think he's putting ideas in my head. Very worried about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

I work in the healthcare field but i found working in a hospital incredibly stressfull, i just couldnt hack it at all. Might go back to looking for jobs in the community like home help and stuff.

So apparently I don't trust myself to finish my sentences :D this app does my head in - couldn't see what I was writing as the page doesn't move down as you type! I have done some irrational 'blowing up' and it scares the sheehite out of me. I instantly regret it and wonder how it happened. But thanks to better meds I haven't come close to blowing up in months, thankfully!!

• Advertisement

greenfrogs wrote: »
    I have been fired as well. It really knocks your confidence. I was fired for poor work performance. I just didn't have the concentration or energy for it. For nearly a year I was signed off work. I'm looking for jobs again now. It is tough. I mean I had an interview this week but was so nervous, anxious and in a bad mood in the days leading up to it. I had depression as well as anxiety. I didn't even consider that I had social anxiety until my therapist suggested I might have it.

I was also fired for poor work performance, it was mainly due to being nervous/anxious around people, making mistakes due to it too. I'm actually fairly clever so I just feel frustrated I can't even do menial jobs. My confidence was knocked severely too. I never really recovered it either, I think because I didn't get the help I needed (didn't understand what was wrong with me either). I don't really know how to salvage the employment situation, people in my family just think of me as lazy or whatever now, and society too. To be honest,a year off work is very understandable and not that unusual either, as you had a genuine reason.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement