Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

I don't know if I want to go to therapy any more. I think he's putting ideas in my head. Very worried about it.
    What do you mean by putting ideas in your head scrim?

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭NicoleW85

I don't know if I want to go to therapy any more. I think he's putting ideas in my head. Very worried about it.

I totally get that. My eating disorder therapist unintentionally put an idea in my head that I'm still trying to get rid of, but you have to think of the bigger picture. You should tell him openly how it's making you feel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭timecurve12

I think you should go with your gut instinct on this... sometimes it just doesn't work out and you and your therapist just don't click for whatever reason. It's no big deal. Or he might actually be doing something improper. Would you like to explain your worries some more?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

I was also fired for poor work performance, it was mainly due to being nervous/anxious around people, making mistakes due to it too. I'm actually fairly clever so I just feel frustrated I can't even do menial jobs. My confidence was knocked severely too. I never really recovered it either, I think because I didn't get the help I needed (didn't understand what was wrong with me either). I don't really know how to salvage the employment situation, people in my family just think of me as lazy or whatever now, and society too. To be honest,a year off work is very understandable and not that unusual either, as you had a genuine reason.

I could have written that myself there friend. It is very frustrating. Would love to find work where i could work alone so i wouldnt be a ball of anxiety all the time. It really holds you back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

What makes you say that Scrim?

• Advertisement

mg1982 wrote: »
    I could have written that myself there friend. It is very frustrating. Would love to find work where i could work alone so i wouldnt be a ball of anxiety all the time. It really holds you back.

My own gig has me constantly interacting with coworkers, often negatively at my expense. It can be draining.

My own gig has me constantly interacting with coworkers, often negatively at my expense. It can be draining.

It feels like you have to wear a mask when around people and put on a front. Yes it is very mentally draining.

mg1982 wrote: »
    It feels like you have to wear a mask when around people and put on a front. Yes it is very mentally draining.

Well said as always MG,

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭teadrinker96

has anyone been on anti-depressants and if so , have they helped you in anyway ? There doesn't really seem to be another option for me at this stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭heyday30

has anyone been on anti-depressants and if so , have they helped you in anyway ? There doesn't really seem to be another option for me at this stage

Hi there. sorry to hear you're going through a rough time.
    I think most of us here have or are on anti d's.

There's a lot of them on the market. Talk to your GP.
    For me personally, I'd dread to think what I'd be like if I wasn't on them.

• Advertisement

Yes I'm on them and know that I can't function properly without them. I know some people who are too embarrassed to ask for help but I truly believe that if you need them, take them. Done be embarrassed.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭teadrinker96

this sounds really bad but can you drink when you're on them ?It's just at my age (almost 19) there's obviously a lot of pressure on nights out and stuff to drink . I wouldn't mind though as I would do about anything to get rid of the way I'm feeling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭heyday30

this sounds really bad but can you drink when you're on them ?It's just at my age (almost 19) there's obviously a lot of pressure on nights out and stuff to drink . I wouldn't mind though as I would do about anything to get rid of the way I'm feeling

It would be something to ask your doctor teadrinker. Generally speaking probably a good idea to avoid alcohol for a while, specially if you're starting anti-d's.

I know plenty of people on them who still have a sociable few drinks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

I've no plans today but it's difficult to breath and i've an awful feeling of panic/doom (only word i can describe it as)

Good morning everyone........................

Good morning carzony, I'm sorry to hear you're feeling this way. Why don't you go for a quick walk and see if that clears your head a bit? A bit of fresh air & the exercise could maybe make you feel a bit less anxious and settle you a bit. I hope you feel better soon :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭scrimshanker

What do you mean by putting ideas in your head scrim?

It's very hard to explain without going into specifics. I plan on a career, call it Plan A, it's something I worked hard for and have already invested a good bit of effort into... He reckons that deep down I don't want plan A and that this is making me anxious and I'm unconsciously resisting anything that would bring me closer to completing plan A. Anyway, a few sessions on I'm now thinking "no, I don't want plan A, I really don't want this". But then last night I was thinking "wtf? I worked hard at this, I'm good at it". Like there's a possibility he's right, but also I wonder if I'm just so worn out and depressed and anxious that I don't want anything at the moment and that if I can get over this, Plan A would be perfect and I'd be good at it...

It's very hard to explain without going into specifics. I plan on a career, call it Plan A, it's something I worked hard for and have already invested a good bit of effort into... He reckons that deep down I don't want plan A and that this is making me anxious and I'm unconsciously resisting anything that would bring me closer to completing plan A. Anyway, a few sessions on I'm now thinking "no, I don't want plan A, I really don't want this". But then last night I was thinking "wtf? I worked hard at this, I'm good at it". Like there's a possibility he's right, but also I wonder if I'm just so worn out and depressed and anxious that I don't want anything at the moment and that if I can get over this, Plan A would be perfect and I'd be good at it...

That seems a bit out of left field from your therapist scrim. The only one that can answer that question is you but it sounds like Plan A is something you want to pursue. Maybe discuss it with him next time?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Emmychi

Hello!
    New to this forum, recently been diagnosed with Bipolar and don't really have anywhere to go to talk about it.

Just wondering is anyone on here on Seroquel and if so what side effects they have found on them?

Hi Emmychi, welcome to the thread. Many of us here suffer from various forms of anxiety and depression so hopefully there will be a few who can relate to what you're going through. If not, you can talk openly here. We don't judge, we just try to help each other :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,238 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Hi Emmy I'm on that med. Took a while to find a level where I could function without being too sedated but still on it now and find it helpful. Welcome to the thread I hope you find us useful and know that you'll always have company here..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

He can't possibility know what you are feeling deep down. It's just a theory of his. He may be right but there's every possibility he's wrong. I found when I was in psychotherapy that my therapist used give me reasons why I did this or that. And I clung on to them because they were explanations for my actions. It's not an exact science. Do you think if you gave up on plan A that everything would go back to 'normal'.

greenfrogs wrote: »
    He can't possibility know what you are feeling deep down. It's just a theory of his. He may be right but there's every possibility he's wrong. I found when I was in psychotherapy that my therapist used give me reasons why I did this or that. And I clung on to them because they were explanations for my actions. It's not an exact science. Do you think if you gave up on plan A that everything would go back to 'normal'.

I'm just so confused about it. I think if I gave up on it I'd be adrift completely, but that isn't in itself a good idea to continue with it iykwim...

So depressed today. Haven't even showered.. I never skip my shower. Just don't have the motivation :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭drugstore cowboy

I'm just so confused about it. I think if I gave up on it I'd be adrift completely, but that isn't in itself a good idea to continue with it iykwim...

So depressed today. Haven't even showered.. I never skip my shower. Just don't have the motivation :(

Have one and it will give you a lift. Baby steps are important

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,238 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Scrim, perhaps hitting 'pause' on plan A for a while is no harm?. Give yourself space to just be for a little bit.

Scrim, perhaps hitting 'pause' on plan A for a while is no harm?. Give yourself space to just be for a little bit.

I agree with this. I know it must be difficult with job worries over you head but for now you are more important than any job.

I'm a bit afraid I'll crawl into a hole that I'll never come out of.

I'm a bit afraid I'll crawl into a hole that I'll never come out of.

If you could make plan A and stick to it, perhaps do the same for treatment? Just a suggestion..

I'm working away, however there was an option for further treatment that would have definitely interfered with work, or vice versa. Going for that treatment would have been a step back in a way, but it would have also been a step forward. It's rather confusing.

Due to an occasion, people are suggesting to me to have some drinks with friends soon to celebrate it. I haven't the heart to tell them that I haven't a friend in the world. I know lots of people, but they're just acquaintances.

There are pros and cons to working. For me I can't have a 9 to 5 job due to having therapy sessions. I could have postponed this therapy but what would be the point. I think I would be putting off the envitable. I want to get better asap. I still have vivid memories of being in work and feeling so bad every single minute every single day. I'm looking for part time or flexible work now. I'm still very nervous about working. I want a very low entry job but I think employers may think I'm overqualified for that. I just need to build up my confidence. And I need to have therapy alongside that for a few months. It's very disheartening being unemployed.

• Advertisement

Guess who got another rejection email this morning without being called for an interview? My self-esteem is slowly making its way down the drain :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement