Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

Just curious, how would you force yourself into a manic episode? Psychologically?

I wouldn't get into specifics but I am on a really unually combination of medications for bipolar. A bit of tweaking could easily do it. However, one should never, ever change ones medication or dosage without the advice of your medical professional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭handbagmad

Crying buckets of tears out of nowhere.
    Bollix to this

manyoung wrote: »
    Looking for some advice. For the past couple of years I fear that I may have anxiety. However I am also very shy, so am unsure whether I am just bad with people or have anxiety. When a social event comes up that I cannot avoid, I tend to think these irrational thoughts of what might happen and, as a result of watching too many cartoons as a kid, believe that I will be left alone and judged. There are several other things and I tend to avoid going out because I'm afraid of certain things happening. I fear I also have a very mild case of OCD. I got sick in about third year and kept getting colds. I adapted to washing my hands frequently and now have cracked hands.I am now very cautious about washing my hands before I eat anything and can't stop! However it is the ridiculous thoughts that come into my head that bug me. As I have said it is very mild but am looking for advice whether or not to go to the doctor about it. I went a couple of months ago and mentioned it and he suggested I come back during the summer (I had the LC to focus on). However, he mentioned CBT and after rehearsing it weeks ago, it scares me. He also mentioned medication, but would these be more harm to my body than good? I'm starting college soon and suppose am wondering whether this is worth treating? The reason I say this is because I know there are people out there who have severe issues with anxiety and don't want to be making a big thing out of my own potentially small issues. I'm not sure if this big paragraph is in the right thread, but I would appreciate advice. Thanks.

No question about it. Go back to your doctor. CBT can be really helpful and could help you avoid going down the medication route. If it's impacting your day to day life, you need to talk to your doctor before it gets any worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

handbagmad wrote: »
    Crying buckets of tears out of nowhere.
    Bollix to this

*hugs*

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

well anyone staying up late tonight?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Hugs for handbagmad

Roquentin, should be up for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭manyoung

No question about it. Go back to your doctor. CBT can be really helpful and could help you avoid going down the medication route. If it's impacting your day to day life, you need to talk to your doctor before it gets any worse.

Thanks for the reply. That's the thing though, I have gotten so used to behaving in a certain way over the past 4 years that it has just become apart of my daily life, if you jnow what I mean. I don't like the morbid thoughts and the unrealistic predictions that pop in my head but am able to cope okay. BUt as I'm getting older and taking on more responsibilites, I am woried the handwashing or the anxiety may get worse. In general I am a little scared for my mental health but am unsure to pinpoint what exactly is going on. I know you are right about the going to the GP, but am just unsure wether the extent of my own case is really worth treating as I am realatively able to get by daily.

shezer wrote: »
    This used to happen to me. Do you feel better after it?

will let U know when it stops.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Looking for some advice. For the past couple of years I fear that I may have anxiety. However I am also very shy, so am unsure whether I am just bad with people or have anxiety. When a social event comes up that I cannot avoid, I tend to think these irrational thoughts of what might happen and, as a result of watching too many cartoons as a kid, believe that I will be left alone and judged. There are several other things and I tend to avoid going out because I'm afraid of certain things happening. I fear I also have a very mild case of OCD. I got sick in about third year and kept getting colds. I adapted to washing my hands frequently and now have cracked hands.I am now very cautious about washing my hands before I eat anything and can't stop! However it is the ridiculous thoughts that come into my head that bug me. As I have said it is very mild but am looking for advice whether or not to go to the doctor about it. I went a couple of months ago and mentioned it and he suggested I come back during the summer (I had the LC to focus on). However, he mentioned CBT and after rehearsing it weeks ago, it scares me. He also mentioned medication, but would these be more harm to my body than good? I'm starting college soon and suppose am wondering whether this is worth treating? The reason I say this is because I know there are people out there who have severe issues with anxiety and don't want to be making a big thing out of my own potentially small issues. I'm not sure if this big paragraph is in the right thread, but I would appreciate advice. Thanks.
    Great post!

You know the old saying 'A stitch in time saves nine'? It might be very appropriate in your situation. You are aware of your issues; you have already spoken to your doctor about them; and he made some good (imo) suggestions.

Going to college can be very stressful. Remember how you felt starting 1st Year in secondary school (after feeling 'big' in 6th class)? College could be like that, only worse. You may be living away from home for the first time; you may know no-one on your course (or even in college) etc. etc.

If I was in your shoes, I would definitely visit the doctor soon, and follow his advice. CBT is great. The vast majority of medications do much more good than harm (read that again... :) ) imo. Tell him your worries about medication. Listen to his answers. Talk to a pharmacist too - they are often a great source of advice.

Remember that college will have a professional counselling service - use it as soon as you feel the need.

When in college, try to get to lectures on time. Sit near the front. Get to know other students who are obviously interested in the subject and seem clued-in. Keep on top of your assignments. Ask your tutor/lecturer for help/pointers when you need to.

If you drink alcohol, be careful that it does not get in the way of your work. If you don't - do not start now. Do not allow yourself to be pressurised in this regard, by housemates or fellow students.

Back to my original point: 'a stitch in time etc.' and from what you said, you are very aware that you have a couple of tears/rips that need to be repaired, and sooner rather than later...

tl/dr You are clued-in to your issues. Very big changes are coming. Talk to your doctor again, and be open to his advice.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I know you are right about the going to the GP, but am just unsure wether the extent of my own case is really worth treating as I am realatively able to get by daily.
    'Relatively able' which you feel works for you now might well not work very well in college.

'The extent of your own case' is too self-deprecating a statement. You are thinking "I know I have a problem, but is it really serious enough that I need professional help to fix it?".

If your car was making a weird noise/not responding to inputs properly, would you keep driving it while the issue remained/slowly got worse? Especially if it was a safety issue?
    No, you would bring it to the mechanic/garage and have it fixed.

I think that deep-down you obviously know (but may find it hard to admit to yourself) that things need to improve.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Wrote some problems and thoughts out because I heard it's supposed to help. Wrote pages and pages and pages but feel much worse. I just really don't know what to do anymore.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Wrote some problems and thoughts out because I heard it's supposed to help. Wrote pages and pages and pages but feel much worse. I just really don't know what to do anymore.

Perhaps now tear them into tiny little pieces.. Sometimes something symbolic like that can result in some relief..

If not I'm here for talking and listening, pm if you like.. It can be a tough time of night to be awake for some..

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭chinacup

I used to get that too I found I was over writing and it was just another form of rumination. Maybe next time try a more directed approach and try to force yourself in a positive direction or to at least try finish on a sincerely positive note.

So cried myself asleep last night.
    Got up real early made the 20mile journey for appt. Only to find my appt had been cancelled.

Im fuming. Might have yelled a bit at the secretary must ring and apologize

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Actually, as I wake up today I find that writing stuff out did help, just not right away like I was hoping it would!

So cried myself asleep last night.
    Got up real early made the 20mile journey for appt. Only to find my appt had been cancelled.

Im fuming. Might have yelled a bit at the secretary must ring and apologize

That's about the worst case scenario right there. I feel awful for you. Impressed you didn't shut down and made it to here to tell us, not sure I'd be found for a few days.. You got through a hell of an ordeal - be proud of that..

I like to think I'm a logical thinker mostly, definitely am when it comes to work or if somebody comes to me with a problem. Then there's me, proper case of physician heal thyself.

Two more people have left my life, one was becoming a true friend.. I know skype and all that can keep us in contact but it hasn't worked out in other cases. Besides, I do like the the occasional hug, and I'm terrible on the phone. I think i respond better when I can see all the body language.. So another bout of crazy loneliness is on the way. Rant over..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭drugstore cowboy

Feel like I'm cracking up the last few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Had too many negative experiences with doctors to ever say an appointment went well but but it didn't go badly. She said she doesn't think I have bipolar and usury the people who worry they might have it don't. She was more interested in the other things I brought up and wants to see me again in three weeks. She said she thinks with several issues what we need to do at the moment is to have her get to know me. She recommended a counselling service to attend attend as the in practice one has a long waiting list.

Are you ever suspicious or weary of someone being nice to you,
    Im not sure if im just completely paranoid or not used to genuine nice people.
    Or I can't trust.

I got some xanax today, up in a heap after counsellor cancelled my appointment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,365 ✭✭✭Joya

Are you ever suspicious or weary of someone being nice to you,
    Im not sure if im just completely paranoid or not used to genuine nice people.
    Or I can't trust.

I got some xanax today, up in a heap after counsellor cancelled my appointment.

im in this category now.. unfortunately... trust someone till he proves unworthy of trust.. but it can be little things now (before id go a looooong way of trusting in the better side or whatever) .... and something in me just changes.. almost irreparably..

Joya wrote: »
    im in this category now.. unfortunately... trust someone till he proves unworthy of trust.. but it can be little things now (before id go a looooong way of trusting in the better side or whatever) .... and something in me just changes.. almost irreparably..

Ya I always gave a person the benefit of the doubt trust wise.
    Cant do it anymore, been burned too many times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,365 ✭✭✭Joya

Ya I always gave a person the benefit of the doubt trust wise.
    Cant do it anymore, been burned too many times

aww tell me about it brother....

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭chinacup

I might be going a little soft but this cheered be right up:

http://m.wikihow.com/Be-More-Enthusiastic

I especially like part 3 no.1 "Exclaim Things"

"Imagine your friend Ted walks into the room. You two make eye contact, give each other a nod, and you say, "Sup." Not even in question form. Just "sup." He responds with, "Yo." Greeting exchanged. Now imagine Ted walks into the room and you say, "HEY, TED! OHMIGOSH I'M SO HAPPY TO SEE YOU!" and then you run around to room, arms flailing like the T-Rex you've always wanted to be. Who's enthusiastic now, huh?"

Rough kinda week, a mate got good news last week, and there was also a funeral, and between the two i'm drained and down these last few days..

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Newxcitedmom

Hello im25 I have found myself very anxious and short of breath because of it and not sleeping because my mind would b goin a hundread miles an hour I don't like goin out or doin something that's not planned I started taking lustral 50mg today.. Shortly after taking it I felt very quezzy and then diaoera now come the evening I am very tired can't move off the couch is this normal...what are your experiences with this perception drug

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭is mise spartacus

I hate bullies :mad: more things to deal with

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭CZ 453

Are we out and about walking with the good weather peeps? The sun can really pick you up

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭xLisaBx

I hate bullies :mad: more things to deal with

Tell me about it. What cruel tactics are they using? They arent worth the energy to even consider getting upset over :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭is mise spartacus

xLisaBx wrote: »
    Tell me about it. What cruel tactics are they using? They arent worth the energy to even consider getting upset over :)

Teasing, name calling and throwing things at me
    I'm trying to focus them to the back of my mind and focus on myself getting better...
    or at least try to

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement