Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

Chocolate is one of the true essentials to life! :D

Chocolate ciggies and coffee be lost without them lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭norwegianwood

I feel like my life is going nowhere. I spent four years in college and got a first class honours degree that I can't do anything with, there are no jobs in what I'm qualified in, I need to do a postgrad but mentally I can't handle that. I'm working in a crappy job that I could have gotten without a degree and I have no idea what's going to happen next, or when it's going to get better. I feel trapped and I ddont know what to do. It's like this despair that's clutching me and won't let go, there's no hope left in me, what the hell was the point in anything I've done in my life?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

I feel like my life is going nowhere. I spent four years in college and got a first class honours degree that I can't do anything with, there are no jobs in what I'm qualified in, I need to do a postgrad but mentally I can't handle that. I'm working in a crappy job that I could have gotten without a degree and I have no idea what's going to happen next, or when it's going to get better. I feel trapped and I ddont know what to do. It's like this despair that's clutching me and won't let go, there's no hope left in me, what the hell was the point in anything I've done in my life?

A lot of us here feel the same NW.

Is hitting the road an option for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭norwegianwood

A lot of us here feel the same NW.

Is hitting the road an option for you?

Not without savings unfortunately, I'm stuck for at least a year. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

life is ultimately meaningless. existentialists often say the goal is to love, not another, but your own self, your own existence

• Advertisement

Not as bad as last night. not great though, in a funk again. Again. *sigh*
    Not without savings unfortunately, I'm stuck for at least a year. :(

Hugs to ye both there.

everything.png

Society and the media makes us believe if we dont go to college and get a degree, a good job a nice house and car, get married and have a family then we have failed. Expectations are too high on people these days.

mg1982 wrote: »
    Society and the media makes us believe if we dont go to college and get a degree, a good job a nice house and car, get married and have a family then we have failed. Expectations are too high on people these days.

That's what is expected of you. Not easy to achieve though. Hell, even some of those who achieve it are not happy in the slightest.

mg1982 wrote: »

Quotation-Oscar-Wilde-living-life-moments-world-existence-Meetville-Quotes-127577.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

I'm having a good enough week so far. I have some plans to look forward to next month so I'm concentrating on those. My meds have been reduced in half for 2 days now. I haven't noticed any side effects yet so hoping that continues. I think I have to keep working on my social anxiety. I've taken a step back from social activities for reasons that I'm not sure of. I suppose I'm worried that it will come back again.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Does anyone else here go through devastating lows or "come downs" after feelings of massive "highs"? I remember I felt the same after a Rihanna concert a few years back thinking that it was actually quite normal to experience a come down after a great night. But, after the Taylor Swift concert on Wednesday I was on a horrible come down on Thursday, and I'm still not right even now.

I went with a friend who seemed genuinely surprised at this (I had to come clean to him as it was fairly noticeable!), which is probably the first time that I really had any indication that it wasn't as normal as I first assumed.

Wilberto wrote: »
    Does anyone else here go through devastating lows or "come downs" after feelings of massive "highs"? I remember I felt the same after a Rihanna concert a few years back thinking that it was actually quite normal to experience a come down after a great night. But, after the Taylor Swift concert on Wednesday I was on a horrible come down on Thursday, and I'm still not right even now.

I went with a friend who seemed genuinely surprised at this (I had to come clean to him as it was fairly noticeable!), which is probably the first time that I really had any indication that it wasn't as normal as I first assumed.

Yep. I rarely get nights out, but when I do and return home, I find my mood plummets and I get a sinking feeling emotionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭NicoleW85

Me too. I had my inlaws stay with us for a full week about a month ago (who im extremely close to), then friends from America stayed last week. I was on top form during that time and it's just been since the friends left that I've gone on a huge downer! I think I need constant company! Ahhh!

NicoleW85 wrote: »
    Me too. I had my inlaws stay with us for a full week about a month ago (who im extremely close to), then friends from America stayed last week. I was on top form during that time and it's just been since the friends left that I've gone on a huge downer! I think I need constant company! Ahhh!

Constant company, as long as it is the right company, is heavenly.

See I would hate constant company. I enjoy spending time with others but not too much time. I love time on my own. Just watching TV and hanging out at home.

greenfrogs wrote: »
    See I would hate constant company. I enjoy spending time with others but not too much time. I love time on my own. Just watching TV and hanging out at home.

Me time is great too GF. Just too much of it can be rough.

Ok maybe not constant - I do enjoy my own time but too much of my own time is damaging. I guess what I'm looking for is a healthier balance

Me time is great too GF. Just too much of it can be rough.

Yes a mixture of the two suits me. I just dislike constant company. I need a breather from people at times.

Ok maybe not constant - I do enjoy my own time but too much of my own time is damaging. I guess what I'm looking for is a healthier balance

I agree with that. I like having regular contact with company. It makes me feel happier and satisfied. To me a perfect weekend is having a night out and having a night in. However my weekends are usually just me in which gets boring.

• Advertisement

Yeah I'd be out every weekend (1 night) if I could, but we just can't afford that. The closest I've had to a night out lately was a trip to the xtravision express machine in supervalu last weekend :p

I don't get company too much these days alas. It's a hard boat to climb back onto when one has fallen overboard.

I couldnt cope with someone with me all the time. I really need my alone time.

Yeah I'd be out every weekend (1 night) if I could, but we just can't afford that. The closest I've had to a night out lately was a trip to the xtravision express machine in supervalu last weekend :p

I suppose for 2 it can be expensive. I usually would just go to the cinema or head to a pub or club. I don't drink so it makes things cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

Wilberto wrote: »

I am so jealous. Love TSwift!!! I get like that too. For me, I often find it happens after something I've been looking forward to for a long time, or something that I've put a lot of work into. I can end up getting in a rut for a good while.

Me too Nicole. I'm quite a social person so I find spending a lot of time by myself difficult and depressing. I do love having time to myself, but my ideal would be to spend all day around people and then have a few hours in the evening to chill out by myself, or the other way around. There was times last year when I would barely got a minute by myself for weeks and weeks. It was draining, but I loved it at the same time.

Has anyone here ever seen someone recover from a totally shattered social life?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,238 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Yup. Seen it a few times and it's amazing. Just amazing, it's something that keeps me going sometimes, seeing a person pull off an overhaul like that.. When I don't have hope I have that..

Yup. Seen it a few times and it's amazing. Just amazing, it's something that keeps me going sometimes, seeing a person pull off an overhaul like that.. When I don't have hope I have that..

Any idea how they did it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

I have actually, a few times. I don't really know how they did it, apart from seeming like they were trusting and believing in themselves a bit more maybe (that's just from my onlooker's perspective).

I have no doubt that it can be done. I think it takes a lot of work, but sometimes we need to put on our big-person pants and step up and do that (saying that for my own benefit tbh. I defo need to put on my big girl pants and stop avoiding everything).

• Advertisement

I have actually, a few times. I don't really know how they did it, apart from seeming like they were trusting and believing in themselves a bit more maybe (that's just from my onlooker's perspective).

I have no doubt that it can be done. I think it takes a lot of work, but sometimes we need to put on our big-person pants and step up and do that (saying that for my own benefit tbh. I defo need to put on my big girl pants and stop avoiding everything).

Stepping up is hard though! Can't they come to me?! LOL :D:o

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement