Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

Teasing, name calling and throwing things at me
    I'm trying to focus them to the back of my mind and focus on myself getting better...
    or at least try to

in ten years time when you are qualified at your discipline you can laugh at them. Living well is the sweetest revenge

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭xLisaBx

You only have a year left, stick to your studies. You know the clicheè the bullies will work for you some day? They won't. You won't even hire that caliber of an Individual in your workplace :)
    Almost half of my life has been spent in torment due to bullies, the end result is terrible tbh. But now I'm in university and most of them are queuing for the dole :P
    You're better and stronger than them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭handbagmad

I hate bullies :mad: more things to deal with

bullies are cowards. Beneath the surface of a bully is often someone more f''ked up and messed up than any of us. Putting others down to make them feel better about their own inadequaties.

Rise above them my friend. Hold your head up

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Teasing, name calling and throwing things at me
    I'm trying to focus them to the back of my mind and focus on myself getting better...
    or at least try to

I used to sing this to myself when I was being bullied - it really helped. It is all about keeping control.

A few years later I found myself singing the song; I was really confused as nothing had happened that I recognised as bullying.

I replayed the whole conversation that happened before I started singing the song, and yep, maybe not bullying, but there was definitely some really mean & sharp comments being made that I didn't recognise at the time, but my sub-conscious did :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

This is probably a ridiculous question but which do you guys prefer, anxiety or depression?

I'd personally take the depression I had over the anxiety I have constantly now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Mine seem very much hand in hand most of the time but when the anxiety end is stronger it's the scariest thing. Fear begets more fear so I would prob prefer less of that..

Of course that answer would change when I'm in the blackness and can't see a way out. But generally when I'm that bad I can't post anyway..

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

This is probably a ridiculous question but which do you guys prefer, anxiety or depression?

I'd personally take the depression I had over the anxiety I have constantly now.
    Yeah, but anxiety can easily lead to depression.

To answer your question - Neither.

Anxiety is manageable with help. Depression also.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭triona1

Something i have found out over the years and have seen many times on this thread is most meds people are taking during the day that make them feel sick or tired you can actually take at bedtime.I had to go to my gp and was put on medication for most depression symptoms and i take mine at night.4 meds in total.
    Now im not giving medical advice.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I agree with you there. I can take prozac any time at all, but lyrica and seroquel must be left for sleep time as they both make me quite drowsy sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

hey guys... it's weird, i moved over here to canada about 4 months ago and i may as well still be at home because my way of thinking hasnt changed at all. in fact, my anxiety is really bad since i got here. ive been trying to actively deal with it in that i am educatng myself more and more but its a slow process and im doing sensible things like exercising more, eating healthier and cutting out the drink but its very slow in terms of actively progreesing... this got me thinking: the way i think about things hasnt changed much since a long as i can remember. even today, i was wandering downtown and had a pretty bad bout of social anxiety.. i had one small thing to do and i couldnt get out of the city quick enough once it was done. ive lived in a few cities and smaller areas and never felt comfortable in any of them.. i left limerick to go to college in dublin thinking id meet lots of new friends and live it up and coudnt have been more wrong. i am quite cofortable in my own company a lot of the tie but i must spend 90% of my time alone. i came out here to canada with the attitude of stop makig excuses not to get involved in things and while i did that for a fw weeks, ive now reverted back to type..i have t do something about my anxiety, it has dominated my life for about 15 years.. i had ne bad expereince in a car when i was learning to drive.. it rattled me so much ive never gone back- and i 32 now! i fear this could stay with m my whole life and my way of thinking has effected virtually every asect of my life negatively..

just to touch on the topic of bullies.. as ive gotten older, i have effectively been bullied more and more by some of my closest "friends"... at first they try to play it all as slagging etc but it gets progessively worse and more and more frequent. i did some regrettable thigs when i was younger (nothing too bad, just immature embarrassing things).. some of my "mates" like to throw these things back in my face and pigeon hole me based on thtese events.. i think they think im an easy touch and most of these guys are my closest friends.. they seem to take pleasure in trying to undermine and belittle me.. why ?? one guy in particular was at one point probably my closest friend, but over time he has become the most self righteous judgemental gossipy spiteful petty prick i know.. i dont talk to these people much anymore but it stll really bothers me. i dont like hanging around with this group when im home and theres a fixation with all asects of peoples lives..

anyway i know that wasnt very clear, and a bit rambly.. its late here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭margarite

I agree with you for what it is worth, with depression you can talk here on the boards or with good friends but with anxiety it is harder to talk about as I get more anxious as I talk. Hope this makes some sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭alaskayoung

Hey guys. I am not seeking medical advice here, but my doctor has recommended that I begin taking Lexapro and just wondering if anyone here has had any positive/negative experiences with it? If so, did you experience any side effects? I'm particularly concerned with the possibility of weight gain.. Also, is it expensive? I realize that I can ask my g.p. these questions but she suggested that I do some research and am looking for personal experience with the drug. I'm 18 years old and would be taking it in conjunction with counselling, if that's relevant. Thanks so much :)

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭margarite

margarite wrote: »
    I agree with you for what it is worth, with depression you can talk here on the boards or with good friends but with anxiety it is harder to talk about as I get more anxious as I talk. Hope this makes some sense?
    Can someone help me pse a close relative died nearly a year ago on the 23rd September a year any suggestions how I can get through this time please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I went to pieta house this morning for some help with anxiety since I start college tomorrow, and I honestly thought it was as helpful as a chocolate tea pot. Different person, same script so to speak. Gonna try and see if I can see the person I saw last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭CZ 453

just to touch on the topic of bullies.. as ive gotten older, i have effectively been bullied more and more by some of my closest "friends"... at first they try to play it all as slagging etc but it gets progessively worse and more and more frequent. i did some regrettable thigs when i was younger (nothing too bad, just immature embarrassing things).. some of my "mates" like to throw these things back in my face and pigeon hole me based on thtese events.. i think they think im an easy touch and most of these guys are my closest friends.. they seem to take pleasure in trying to undermine and belittle me.. why ?? one guy in particular was at one point probably my closest friend, but over time he has become the most self righteous judgemental gossipy spiteful petty prick i know.. i dont talk to these people much anymore but it stll really bothers me. i dont like hanging around with this group when im home and theres a fixation with all asects of peoples lives..

Do you ruminate on these?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Dr.Alucard

cloud493 wrote: »
    I went to pieta house this morning for some help with anxiety since I start college tomorrow, and I honestly thought it was as helpful as a chocolate tea pot. Different person, same script so to speak. Gonna try and see if I can see the person I saw last year.

Im in the same boat cloud. I start college tomorrow too after having to leave the Same course two years ago due to social anxiety and depression, two years later after medication and pushing myself to exercise, im going to give it a go again. The want of an education is pushing me to go into public areas and pushing me to get better, the best thing i can say to you cloud is try to exercise its a good anxiety reliver. Good luck tomorrow!!

Dr.Alucard wrote: »
    Im in the same boat cloud. I start college tomorrow too after having to leave the Same course two years ago due to social anxiety and depression, two years later after medication and pushing myself to exercise, im going to give it a go again. The want of an education is pushing me to go into public areas and pushing me to get better, the best thing i can say to you cloud is try to exercise its a good anxiety reliver. Good luck tomorrow!!

If you don't mind me asking. How did it affect your college experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Dr.Alucard

shezer wrote: »
    If you don't mind me asking. How did it affect your college experience?

I went in the first day and couldnt deal with it, i was super anxious and felt like i wasnt normal, i felt like there was something wrong with me, in desperation i went to a chapel and prayed and begged for assistance.. A couple of days later i went to the doctor and he diagnosed me with an anxiety disorder and gave me tablets to try, they didnt agree with me and i had to defer my course, i got a letter from the doctor to state that i was unwell and the college were more then understanding. Deres loads more i would write but im on my phone. Long story short two years later im about to start the course again tomorrow with the help of some medication and am feeling better about going back. I really really want it to work this time!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

the anxiety is terrible is must admit

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Run, stay far away from them. Jeez you had some damn toxic friends (and I use the word 'friends' in the widest possible sense - frienemies might be closer.)

All the stuff you said is manageable - but it takes guts to face your thinking and change it.

EDIT: For some practical help.

Breathe

Ban the words - 'should', 'ought', 'only' from your vocabulary. All these words are negative and put yourself down. It was only.... Own what 'it' is - don't minimise it with 'only'.
    I really should do.... (Either do or don't - if you wanted to do it, it would be done :)
    And finally 'ought' - same as others.

And also banish the word 'sorry' from your vocabulary. The Irish have a terrible habit for this word. Say 'pardon' if you didn't hear something, and 'excuse me' for physical situations. I always found when I said the word 'sorry' - I was nearly apologising for my existence on this earth. If you need to make amends for something - then simply say 'I apologies for x/doing y/whatever....'.

Really become aware of the self-talk, and how you talk to yourself. It is truly possible to drive yourself stark raving mad.

• Advertisement

Thanks :) this is my... 4th PLC attempt. And all times, not to make excuses for myself, anxiety really has been holding me back, and I'd like to try and make it this year.

Thanks :) this is my... 4th PLC attempt. And all times, not to make excuses for myself, anxiety really has been holding me back, and I'd like to try and make it this year.

What sort of anxiety disorder do you have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Have felt rather hopeless all this weekend. I've been alone here for a lot of it so that is probably a part of the reason why. I feel like I've got a million problems, wants, hopes and fears darting about my brain. Life in general could be a bit better, I could probably work on it but I just don't have the courage and strength to face the issues presently. There are also a couple of hard truths that I need to accept but I don't want to.

@Cloud: best of luck with college. I hope it all goes well for you! :)

Do you ruminate on these?

Occasionally i do yes, not as mu has i used to.. But as i said, some of these things are consistently thrown back in my face in what in a teasing manner but more so just an outright nasty and judgemental manner.. I've always ruminated on the most trivial of things and always over analyse and over think.. Find it very hard to just focus on the present.. Mind is pre occupied with the past and always worried about the future.. It's a vicious seemingly never ending cycle.. I also have a negative trait of constantly comparing myself to others in every way which really gets me in a spin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

You need to think more positively about your new life.....forget the past and so called friends. You do not have to see these people again ( if they on facebook, twitter etc DELETE THEM!! )
    Start doing what makes you happy, no one knows you in Canada you can be whoever you want to be.......be happy

Occasionally i do yes, not as mu has i used to.. But as i said, some of these things are consistently thrown back in my face in what in a teasing manner but more so just an outright nasty and judgemental manner.. I've always ruminated on the most trivial of things and always over analyse and over think.. Find it very hard to just focus on the present.. Mind is pre occupied with the past and always worried about the future.. It's a vicious seemingly never ending cycle.. I also have a negative trait of constantly comparing myself to others in every way which really gets me in a spin

Was there alcohol involved with the embarrassing things?

Was there alcohol involved with the embarrassing things?

For a couple yes but for the most part no.. I definitely had an issue with alcohol in he sense I was always just living for the weekend and was a text book binge drinker.. But that's so common in ireland anyway as everyone I knew was at it.. So maybe I'm ire analysing again.. I don't drink that much at all these days as the mental anguish cause by a heavy session is unbearable for a few days not to mention the physical effects

No this is the second time I'm attempting said course though. 3 courses in total.

No this is the second time I'm attempting said course though. 3 courses in total.

Was it the anxiety made you change course?

• Advertisement

Yeah, and the fact I was really struggling with the work.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement