Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Hugo, is there somewhere you could chat with other people in your industry?. Perhaps that could help you out. Just a thought.

Not really Grem. These things would be specific to my place.
    I'll just have to ask other on the quiet. It'll be ok I'd say.

How are things there with you G?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,238 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Ok, hibernated yesterday, couldn't face people..Much the same today.

*hugs* Sorry to hear that Grem. Anything on your mind there to cause that?

I sometimes wonder if I'm able for the working environment at all. I've always had these issues, over a decade and three jobs. Just sort of trundling along.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,238 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Nah just my usual cycle of things..

Nah just my usual cycle of things..

The cycles of our kind of issues can be very demoralising. Like you start coming out of it but you know that it will return, and when it does you feel that sinking again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

Some days I'm like that as well. As long as you're not feeling down and it's making you worse then that's fine.

Hugo one of the symptoms of anxiety is trouble concentrating. It sucks and can make work extremely difficult.

greenfrogs wrote: »
    Hugo one of the symptoms of anxiety is trouble concentrating. It sucks and can make work extremely difficult.

Yeah it really can GF.

Did you have similar issues when you were working?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

*hugs* Sorry to hear that Grem. Anything on your mind there to cause that?

I sometimes wonder if I'm able for the working environment at all. I've always had these issues, over a decade and three jobs. Just sort of trundling along.

I have the same issues in every job i had. Just feeling like i dont quite fit in or feeling like a burden on people or not feeling competent in my job. Thats why id love to find more solitary work. Either that or win the lotto.:D

mg1982 wrote: »
    I have the same issues in every job i had. Just feeling like i dont quite fit in or feeling like a burden on people or not feeling competent in my job. Thats why id love to find more solitary work. Either that or win the lotto.:D

Solitary work would be great. A lotto or a EuroMillions win would be fantastic though!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭marcusluck

Hey
    I been on ZOLOFT 4 years now and have been gaining weight even though i work out i cant seem to stop the rot..

I been doing some research i came across zyban its widely used to treat depression in the states here its for coming off the cigarettes .

Can i go on these for depression from my local DR.
    Thanks

• Advertisement

marcusluck wrote: »
    Hey
    I been on ZOLOFT 4 years now and have been gaining weight even though i work out i cant seem to stop the rot..

I been doing some research i came across zyban its widely used to treat depression in the states here its for coming off the cigarettes .

Can i go on these for depression from my local DR.
    Thanks

I have no idea if zyban is prescribed here as it recently got some bad press. I think you should go to your doctor alright, and discuss your current meds and see what options are available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭freudiangirl

Hey all, still in St Pats..seeing consultant tomorrow after his holidays so.hooing he approves the new plan and I get my programme as inpatient here. They had another plan in place but it disintegrated last week so made a new plan with registrar.

Everybody cross your fingers and toes that consultant will go with new plan.

Was really low all weekend ( well since Friday night).
    It was mentioned in meeting with doctors on Friday that the 4th of July is the year anniversary of my first serious incident.
    Thus ,it stuck in my head being played like an old scratched record. It resulted in me having the weirdest dreams and broken sleep last night.

A bit better today but feeling quite disconnected. Finding it a bit of a struggle to be around people at moment,kinda disjointed. I wish things were different tbh. I get a bit sick of feeling like I do.

Hey Freudiangirl, i'll have my fingers crossed for you indeed.. If previous plan went to pieces on you the consultant might want to chat about that to try figure out why, don't get discouraged, the treatment process for anyone with mental illness in this country can be repetitive and tedious, stay the course, we'll be here on thread for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭marcusluck

Thanks for the reply !Alternatives to Zoloft that doesn't cause you to gain weight?
    I have no idea if zyban is prescribed here as it recently got some bad press. I think you should go to your doctor alright, and discuss your current meds and see what options are available.

Thanks for the reply !Alternatives to Zoloft that doesn't cause you to gain weight?

I don't know exactly, plus medical advice not allowed on forum, well site entire actually.. Hence the first advice here usually is to talk to your gp.. Attend a different one if you don't feel comfortable/satisfied with your own. Just always seek professional advice, i hope that you can make appointment soon and see improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 lefty1980

Hi everyone, not sure if I'm even on the right thread here but I'm new to this whole thing but I'm really looking for serious help and advice from anyone. I have been really struggling with a GAD (General Anxiety Order) & depression for 2 months now and can't see anything positive in my head. I'm waiting on my appointment for CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy) from the health board and have been prescribed Xanex 0.5mg to take as needed with my anxiety attacks.
    I have had loads of different symptoms but this burning/acid like sensation on my skin comes over my whole body, it's really scary and very frustrating. Can I please ask 2 questions:

1. Has anyone elseexperienced this kind of burning sensation on their neck, back, legs, face and arms?

2. I'm really terrified about taking the Xanex as I'm not sure how it will make me feel, has anyone on here taken it before?

Feel really stupid asking thsee questions on here but really need to start understanding what's happening to me, thanks in advance!

Hope everything goes well for you Freudiangirl, best of luck!

Hey Lefty, welcome to the thread, sounds like you are in the right place. The burning sensation happens me when i'm feeling panic. Can be like hot flushes for me.. Very weird and often scary sensation.

The xanax dose is low and will just relax you a little, not sedate you or anything strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 lefty1980

Thank you for the quick response Gremlinertia, really appreciate it. I'm making an appointment to go back to my GP tomorrow and get everything sorted...sometimes I just feel so hopeless and lost. I have a young family that I want to get back to enjoying life with and I want to get back to work as soon as possible, thanks again!

Anytime Lefty, well done on tackling this quickly, some of us here took years or haven't yet. Be proud of that.. Feel free to drop in whenever..

Welcome to the thread Lefty! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

Anxiety is back :(. I was on cipramil 10mg and came off it in February. A few weeks later I had a bad episode of anxiety and depression for a few days. Things got better but then some other issues cropped up and caused me a lot of stress and the anxiety came back.

I've since moved home to Northern Ireland and think I need to go back on medication but I'm afraid to go to the GP. The doctor who originally prescribed the cipramil is in Dublin where I lived at the time. I'm afraid my local GP will start wanting to do tests, although he knows I have anxiety problems and suggested putting my dose up but as he wasn't the Dr treating me, he said I needed to get the Dublin Dr to change it.

I'm starting a new job up here in a few weeks and I'm worried my anxiety might derail it.

I know I should go see him but my worries about tests just cause me more anxiety. When I was originally diagnosed in Dublin they did blood tests and I wasn't expecting them to and my anxiety went rocketing (tests were fire).

Ugh. :(

veganrun wrote: »
    Anxiety is back :(. I was on cipramil 10mg and came off it in February. A few weeks later I had a bad episode of anxiety and depression for a few days. Things got better but then some other issues cropped up and caused me a lot of stress and the anxiety came back.

I've since moved home to Northern Ireland and think I need to go back on medication but I'm afraid to go to the GP. The doctor who originally prescribed the cipramil is in Dublin where I lived at the time. I'm afraid my local GP will start wanting to do tests, although he knows I have anxiety problems and suggested putting my dose up but as he wasn't the Dr treating me, he said I needed to get the Dublin Dr to change it.

I'm starting a new job up here in a few weeks and I'm worried my anxiety might derail it.

I know I should go see him but my worries about tests just cause me more anxiety. When I was originally diagnosed in Dublin they did blood tests and I wasn't expecting them to and my anxiety went rocketing (tests were fire).

Ugh. :(

If they did tests that were clear a few months ago, mention it to your doc, you have a history of a type of medication, surely the doc might be willing to consider starting you on it, especially if you have that job coming it could prove beneficial, don't be too worried if they want tests eventually, it's usually to rule out a lack of vitamins or minerals in your system..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

It was 3 years ago they did blood tests. Although I ended up in hospital three times in the last year with kidney stones and all the blood tests done then were fine, most recently in November.

I still have a few weeks supply of cipramil 10mg that I could resume taking but I guess I should go see the Dr as I will need another prescription soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭freudiangirl

Thanks guys...The other plan disintegrated because of lack of support and help from the professionals in Cork.

Was ok for few hours but anxiety back now.
    Mood quite up and down this weekend. Very annoying. I did the social thing with other patients there for a bit but found it overwhelming so left to go back to my room.
    I had to deal with it while ago by unpacking everything almost obsessively going through stuff. I have so much things built up inside, I would be worried I'd act on the self harm urges as I did last week..
    I hate the jittery feeling and don't really want to ask for more meds to deal with it.

Vegan, please do go to your doctor, some aren't great but there are more to choose from.. If you had a broken leg you wouldn't splint it yourself, that's how i try to look at it anyway..

Thanks guys...The other plan disintegrated because of lack of support and help from the professionals in Cork.

Was ok for few hours but anxiety back now.
    Mood quite up and down this weekend. Very annoying. I did the social thing with other patients there for a bit but found it overwhelming so left to go back to my room.
    I had to deal with it while ago by unpacking everything almost obsessively going through stuff. I have so much things built up inside, I would be worried I'd act on the self harm urges as I did last week..
    I hate the jittery feeling and don't really want to ask for more meds to deal with it.

Hopefully this will come up with your consultant in the next few days.. I haven't left the house this weekend. Don't want to talk with people.. I try to give myself a break about it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

I'm on sertraline which I think is the generic name for zoloft. Are you gaining weight due to a bigger appetite or just binge eating. I'm eating a lot but I think it's binge eating rather than being actually hungry. I've been on the meds nearly a year but the weight gain has only been happening since april/may.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭teadrinker96

First time on it I found it grand, few side effects besides a bit of dizziness and a very dry mouth! After about a month on it I had a few drinks and it was all grand!
    Second time going on it, I toke it for three days and it gave me such bad vertigo and panic attacks that I couldn't stand or even sit upright for a week so I had to stop. But it's all different for different people! And apparently different for the same people at other times!

Interesting :o I'm hoping the benefits will outweigh the side-effects :)

Hey Teadrinker (love the name by the way) medications are hit or miss, but with far more hit than miss.. It's just that you are much more likely to see the bad reports because people complain far more quickly than they praise.. All you can do is give it a go, took me a nice few months to strike a level, but it all came good..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭teadrinker96

haha thanks :D xD yeah that's so true , you rarely see people sharing stories of how the meds helped them . Hopefully they'll work for me sooner rather than later :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement