Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Thanks... ya I don't mind working hard or long hours as such especially now when I need the money for September but my current situation my down time is stuck in a house in the south of England with no friends or much to do really, gets a bit lonely.

I can relate man. My off time is just me sitting around the house too. It can be a poor situation that can cause one to dwell on the negative things too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

Well done!. Hope this is relief for you. also good to hear the doc wants to see you again soon.. Means they are doing their job in following up with you.

Thanks, it was kind of tough for me to go. I was quite nervous and could feel my voice wobbling at times the more she asked me stuff. I thought about putting the whole thing off altogether but sort of realised if I did that, I'd just be kicking the can down the road.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,238 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

veganrun wrote: »
    Thanks, it was kind of tough for me to go. I was quite nervous and could feel my voice wobbling at times the more she asked me stuff. I thought about putting the whole thing off altogether but sort of realised if I did that, I'd just be kicking the can down the road.

Oh i hear ya, first time i went in, i knew my voice would give in due to the stress and brought a list/letter kinda thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭alaskayoung

Does anyone else really struggle with a total lack of tolerance for free time? On my holidays with my family at the moment and where most people enjoy relaxing and leisure time with no obligations, the idea of empty hours really makes me anxious. I feel like I have to keep busy or have something to do all the time because when I'm still my mind always goes straight to memories I'd rather not think about or to worries about the future. I get myself worked up so easily. Without distractions a fleeting thought escalates into total despair. I really do wonder what other people usually think about because my thoughts almost always return to something mental health related. Maybe I just obsess about it too much, I don't know. I can't remember what I used to think about before all this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭scrimshanker

Last night I dreamed I was pregnant. It wasn't a bad dream, I was actually quite excited. Made me wake up kinda wishing I was. I think I'd like a little baby of my own.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,238 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Does anyone else really struggle with a total lack of tolerance for free time? On my holidays with my family at the moment and where most people enjoy relaxing and leisure time with no obligations, the idea of empty hours really makes me anxious. I feel like I have to keep busy or have something to do all the time because when I'm still my mind always goes straight to memories I'd rather not think about or to worries about the future. I get myself worked up so easily. Without distractions a fleeting thought escalates into total despair. I really do wonder what other people usually think about because my thoughts almost always return to something mental health related. Maybe I just obsess about it too much, I don't know. I can't remember what I used to think about before all this.

Oh yes. I have to work, when at home i have computer and telly running plus playing with dog. Have to constantly multi task or my mind spins back the way. :(

I count down the days until the weekend. When it does come along though, I often don't know what to do with myself. I get bored way too easily and my mind can wonder to thoughts of being lonely, wasting my life, and darker thoughts.

Do you ever find that you always eventually let people know that you're anxious? Like through some harmless comments in order to explain your actions or whatever, but then regret saying them later on? Like that you wouldn't really want them to know or have an inkling of your more serious issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭heyday30

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭freudiangirl

Good news got consultants approval for programme so happy out.
    Still in bit of weird mood feeling disconnected and hyper-vigilant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭timecurve12

My anxiety is pretty much making me suicidal... I really need some therapy or some other direct treatment for it, really soon. I don't even know why I do it (analyse incessantly) it makes no sense, it does no good, it has no purpose, but I still can't stop my brain from going. And seriously some of the people who work in the mental health services can go **** themselves (sorry, just so frustrated).

• Advertisement

Good news Freudiangirl, stay with it and post here..

Timecurve, it is awful easy to get lost in rumination, I'm not going to give you platitudes and crap.. What sort of stage are you at with the psych services?. Scarily it can be a matter of meeting the right one but keep at it.. Stay the course, rant here.. We're behind you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

Last night I dreamed I was pregnant. It wasn't a bad dream, I was actually quite excited. Made me wake up kinda wishing I was. I think I'd like a little baby of my own.

I find spending any bit of time with a baby gets rid of that wanting fairly quickly. So much work, so noisy, so demanding.

I feel a little bit better today. I'm trying to reduce my sugar intake. I'm hoping to see some improvements. I have found myself getting sleepy, low energy and gaining weight recently.

I came across this article.
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/healthandlife/dietandfitness/how-to-beat-sugar-addiction-328077.html
    The nutritionist in it recognises the importance of emotional eating and uses cbt to help her clients overcome this.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Throwaway3754

Luckily for the past 4 months I did well without this thread but tonight has been really hard for me.
    I've been seeing a guy for the past month and as is the usual with my anxiety, I tend to back out of plans which he got frustrated with so I finally told him I have really bad anxiety.
    To say I didn't get the response I hoped for was an understatement, he said I'm hiding behind something that doesn't exist and it's all just in my head.
    So disappointing, he's no loss but he's the first person I've actually said "I have anxiety" to and to hear that back is gut wrenching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

Luckily for the past 4 months I did well without this thread but tonight has been really hard for me.
    I've been seeing a guy for the past month and as is the usual with my anxiety, I tend to back out of plans which he got frustrated with so I finally told him I have really bad anxiety.
    To say I didn't get the response I hoped for was an understatement, he said I'm hiding behind something that doesn't exist and it's all just in my head.
    So disappointing, he's no loss but he's the first person I've actually said "I have anxiety" to and to hear that back is gut wrenching.

That is disappointing and hurtful. From my experience people who haven't experienced severe anxiety can't understand the impact it can have on your life. It infiltrates and changes the way you operate on a day to day basis. Maybe that guy has his own issues going on. I personally couldn't be with someone who refuses to believe that anxiety, which is a recognised health issue doesn't exist.

I believe that everyday it takes strength for people with anxiety and depression to get out of bed and try to maintain a life. Therefore I chose to believe that I am a stronger and more intelligent person than the people who refuse to believe that mental health issues exist.

Just as a side note why was the first person you told a guy who you only know a month. I'm sure there are people in you life who know you better, for longer and care for you. Why not tell these people.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Throwaway3754

Thanks greenfrogs, I am of the same opinion and am shocked that there's still people around who don't believe in something as severe as this.

I told him because we are very comfortable in telling each other stuff and silly of me, I thought he would accept that and move on from it. Anyone else in my life that I want to know, knows but I've never directly said it

Jesus, that's rough Throwaway!

I told a pal about my depression years back and was told it doesn't exist. He then gave me a lecture about the evil of pharmaceutical companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭alaskayoung

I count down the days until the weekend. When it does come along though, I often don't know what to do with myself. I get bored way too easily and my mind can wonder to thoughts of being lonely, wasting my life, and darker thoughts.

Do you ever find that you always eventually let people know that you're anxious? Like through some harmless comments in order to explain your actions or whatever, but then regret saying them later on? Like that you wouldn't really want them to know or have an inkling of your more serious issues.

Yes I'm the same. Counting down the hours until work is over or the days until the weekend and then when I get there just feel empty and bored. I hate feeling like I'm always wishing my life away as well.

I do everything in my power to ensure people don't know if I'm feeling low or anxious, I think because it takes a lot of energy to talk about it or justify how I'm feeling and I already know that there is nothing they can say or do to change it. I think it's also to do with the fact that a majority of people don't "get" it. Most of the time it's not logical or rational and can't be solved by them problem solving for you and if they do try to give me advice I just end up feeling guilty because it doesn't make any difference .The concerned glances and stares also get to me because I really don't like to be the centre of attention but then again sometimes I feel resentful to the people close to me when I'm going through a lot and they "don't even notice" even though I'm hiding it from them as best I can, so I guess there's no winning with me really :P I usually just end up isolating myself and waiting for it to pass..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

greenfrogs wrote: »
    That is disappointing and hurtful. From my experience people who haven't experienced severe anxiety can't understand the impact it can have on your life. It infiltrates and changes the way you operate on a day to day basis. Maybe that guy has his own issues going on. I personally couldn't be with someone who refuses to believe that anxiety, which is a recognised health issue doesn't exist.

I believe that everyday it takes strength for people with anxiety and depression to get out of bed and try to maintain a life. Therefore I chose to believe that I am a stronger and more intelligent person than the people who refuse to believe that mental health issues exist.

This is the first time i've seen someone actually understand what anxiety truly is and what it's like to deal with it. I find most of the gps and even councellors seem to have a very casual attitude to it, from my experience anyway.

I think i was suicidal last night actually, I was thinking of the most painless method to commit suicide and even googled it. i'm not sure wether it was curiosity or somthing deeper though :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

carzony wrote: »
    This is the first time i've seen someone actually understand what anxiety truly is and what it's like to deal with it. I find most of the gps and even councellors seem to have a very casual attitude to it, from my experience anyway.

I think i was suicidal last night actually, I was thinking of the most painless method to commit suicide and even googled it. i'm not sure wether it was curiosity or somthing deeper though :(

its very hard for people to emotionally empathize with others. they look at what they are able to do and expect the same as others. that is why they cannot comprehend how anxiety effects someone, as they are not effected by it.

for example, its very hard for someone that doesnt have cancer to sort of feel the pain of someone who is dying of terminal cancer. you cant feel their pain. just apply that to mental illness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Foggy.nelson

Thanks greenfrogs, I am of the same opinion and am shocked that there's still people around who don't believe in something as severe as this.

I told him because we are very comfortable in telling each other stuff and silly of me, I thought he would accept that and move on from it. Anyone else in my life that I want to know, knows but I've never directly said it

I agree with how hurtful it the response was but I'd give him a chance, he might just not fully understand how bad you are or maybe he's afraid your playing with him, I'm not trying to make little of what he said but as a guy sometimes girls are hard :) maybe a face to face discussion. Really hope I don't come off as insensitive or glossing over what he said, really not my intentions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

sounds to me like he was hurt and felt you were lying just to get rid of him? That would explain why he responded in that way...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭cannotcope

Has anyone tried hypnosis either by a therapist or by cds?

Yes I'm the same. Counting down the hours until work is over or the days until the weekend and then when I get there just feel empty and bored. I hate feeling like I'm always wishing my life away as well.

I do everything in my power to ensure people don't know if I'm feeling low or anxious, I think because it takes a lot of energy to talk about it or justify how I'm feeling and I already know that there is nothing they can say or do to change it. I think it's also to do with the fact that a majority of people don't "get" it. Most of the time it's not logical or rational and can't be solved by them problem solving for you and if they do try to give me advice I just end up feeling guilty because it doesn't make any difference .The concerned glances and stares also get to me because I really don't like to be the centre of attention but then again sometimes I feel resentful to the people close to me when I'm going through a lot and they "don't even notice" even though I'm hiding it from them as best I can, so I guess there's no winning with me really :P I usually just end up isolating myself and waiting for it to pass..

I only ever let really let people I don't know that I'm a nervous person. I don't let them know that I'm full on depressed and anxious. I'm sure some people would somehow try to use that against you.

Do you find that you get hassle from people who say that so it's easy to just get up and get out there instead of wasting the weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Emmychi

Hi everyone!

Just a quick one. I've been recently prescribed Zispin and have found since taking it I have been having pretty bad anxiety and panic attacks. Has anyone else experienced this on this medication?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I had a bit of a "eureka" moment today, I had been feeling really anxious for a couple of weeks, went to the gp and back on meds and that's where everything took a nosedive, spiralling into vertigo and way worse paralysing panic attacks. It's getting better after stopping taking the meds, but I still get dizzy/lightheaded funny spells which almost put me back into an attack.
    Today I was doing a bit of online reading when I came across Labrynthitis. I had forgotten about this - I had it bad a few years back and was hospitalised over it. I read a list of all the symptoms and I have / had every single one of them. It explains why the meds didn't work this time when they worked so well before for anxiety, why antihistamines make me feel better (they control the vestibular symptoms) and here's the kicker - Labrynthitis can precipitate panic disorder and anxiety. It all just clicked in my head today. And now I know it's going to get better in a couple of weeks. It's all going to pass and I'll be back to my normal anxious self without the panic attacks. That's the sort of thing that gives me hope to keep going! I can function with the anxiety but not the panic. I'm going to look into CBT to deal with the symptoms because there is no cure, just coping but now I know when these attacks of feeling so lightheaded that I'm going to black out hit me, I know the exact cause. Yay for breakthroughs!! Even already this realisation has lifted some of the anxiety of thinking there was something seriously wrong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

That sounds awful Throwaway. It's unreal that some people still have that attitude towards mental health in this day and age. I hope you're okay.

How is everyone this evening?

Emmychi wrote: »
    Hi everyone!

Just a quick one. I've been recently prescribed Zispin and have found since taking it I have been having pretty bad anxiety and panic attacks. Has anyone else experienced this on this medication?

Hi there, are you on them long?. Sometimes, as backwards as this seems, some drugs can exacerbate things before they come right.

Has anyone seen Mochaplease around?.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

Emmychi wrote: »
    Hi everyone!

i dont think it would cause anxiety and it wont stop it either. its mainly used to treat bipolar and schizophrenia and works really well in that treatment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Kaylami

Never posted here before but here goes.

Feeling really down this week. Been on lustral since Oct 2014. Dose has been gradually upped and currently on 150 mg.

Was doing great for a while. Went back to work feeling more positive then then past few weeks it's all come crumbling down. They changed my pysciatrist and I only found out on Tuesday. I feel like I've been through so much with the old doctor that I have to start all over again.

Anxiety attacks are back and what I can only describe as compulsive worrying. I pick something and fixate on it even though I have no control over it.

Guess I just need to talk about how I'm feeling with others who might understand.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement