Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭runningbuddy

Honestly....the Xanax great for anxiety and in my experience doesn't interfere with anti d's. When did you start meds?xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

lefty1980 wrote: »
    Hi everyone, was just wondering if anyone has any experience of Sertraline (SSRI) for anxiety/depression. I have been prescribed this and Xanex (short term) and I'm terrified of taking both, cheers in advance!

I'm on sertraline. I find it good. I did suffer from a few side effects, namely low appetite, shaking hands and nausea when I first started. However, they quickly disappeared for me.

I've never taken xanex but I have taken diazepam which is similar. I found them really good. They really calm me down.

Anyone on Effexor 75mg?? Just started 3 days ago...feel like I'm losing my mind!! Seem to have every bloody side effect listed:mad:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,239 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Anyone on Effexor 75mg?? Just started 3 days ago...feel like I'm losing my mind!! Seem to have every bloody side effect listed:mad:

Runningbuddy, the thing with anti depressant medication is it takes a while to settle in the system, and the innate anxiety with taking the medication tends to exacerbate things.. Deep breaths, it will pass..

Thanks gremlin....I have been down this road before but just paranoid as hell that the Effexor won't work this time:mad:.....thank god for this thread!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,239 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Thanks gremlin....I have been down this road before but just paranoid as hell that the Effexor won't work this time:mad:.....thank god for this thread!!

Anytime, and yes, best thread ever.. I'm on nightshift so if you're having a hard night i'll be here.. Pm too if you wish.. I know when i was trying to find my balance on meds that sometimes suicidal ideation became stronger for a day or two and if i can be there for anyone suffering that, i will be..

Thanks gremlin....How are you doing now? Did you get the balance right? It's a ****er of an illness.....meds are making me swear a lot too lol!!

Yeah found it after a while of trying a few things then adjusting dosages, now on a dbt course to help me 'cope' with everyday life better.. And yes it's a proper cnut of a thing.

Glad you are well gremlin...sounds like it was a long road.....Yep a cnt of a thing....well said!!x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Survived Dublin anyway. Needed a lot of handholding though.

• Advertisement

Well done Hugo.. Doubt I'd attempt the place at the weekend. do something nice for yourself now.

Well done Hugo...as Gremlin said...do something nice for yourself:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

I refuse to look at anything other than the common side effects listing. Doctor Google just leads to panic the fecker.. Struggling with tiredness today. Cannot wait to get home to bed.

I've almost constantly been in bed since wednesday:( been sleeping 8 hours a night, waking up at about 8 am and going back asleep until 6 in the evening...

carzony wrote: »
    I've almost constantly been in bed since wednesday:( been sleeping 8 hours a night, waking up at about 8 am and going back asleep until 6 in the evening...

What do you think it's down to?. Is it a combination? Sometimes I get like that, and I get scared to move in case I make things worse. It doesn't make sense but then again very little about this sh1tty illness does..

• Registered Users Posts: 5 lefty1980

I was prescribed the Xanex and Sertraline 2 weeks ago, walking around with them in my pocket, I did the Google thing and now I'm terrified of taking them both. I feel like s**t most of the time but still can't even bring myself to take the Xanex to calm me down...it's really frustrating!

Oh doctor Google has been the ruination of more than one of us here.. It always brings the worst case scenario to the fore.. Truth of it is people will make the effort to complain but if something is working for them they won't come back to report that so the info you get is very skewed.. If you can't take the medication you can always go to a local pharmacy and they can explain the drug in a non-biased way that might help relieve you. Thing is, a doctor is not going to put you on something that will harm you. If by some reason you do get a side effect you don't like or can't handle go to a hospital maybe.

Lefty...have you been taking the anti depressant? Maybe try half a dose of Xanax and see how you go. They are addictive though.....I'm going to have a job on my hands when this Effexor kicks in becausthe Xanax the only thing keeping me going

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

lefty1980 wrote: »
    I was prescribed the Xanex and Sertraline 2 weeks ago, walking around with them in my pocket, I did the Google thing and now I'm terrified of taking them both. I feel like s**t most of the time but still can't even bring myself to take the Xanex to calm me down...it's really frustrating!

I think the worst the xanax will do is make you feel wiped out and tired so you may end up stretched out on the bed or the couch like i did lol. Its effect only lasts for 4 to 6 hours so it will soon pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭freudiangirl

Hi Hugo, hope you're doing ok..

Freudiangirl, make the decision to go or not closer to the time.. It's ok to say no if you have to..

I went I had to as it was with my son.
    Stressed to the max all day. Feel as if my anxiety is through the roof.
    Is it wrong to want to go back to st pats tomorrow? This weekend has just been too much ... I have so many urges right now which would help relieve my pain a bit but trying not to act on them.

If i am being honest I did act a bit on them today but nothing major. I am now in bed as my partner told me he is exhausted and I was very hard work all weekend. I know it's not easy to live with me at moment but I have tried my best to be the normal/ well Freudi to put on my mask and sometimes I can't. It slips and the noise gets too much people get too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Well done Hugo.. Doubt I'd attempt the place at the weekend. do something nice for yourself now.
    Well done Hugo...as Gremlin said...do something nice for yourself:)

Thanks lads. The city itself was fairly mental indeed. That being said, I went there to see some lovely pals rather than the city itself. It was a very good day. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭scrimshanker

Thanks lads. The city itself was fairly mental indeed. That being said, I went there to see some lovely pals rather than the city itself. It was a very good day. :)

Well done Hugo. Town's always mad on a Saturday, personally I avoid where possible and I'm a city native! Glad you had a good day.

I keep getting asked by family about my exams. Doesn't feel good to lie to them but equally I don't see the need to tell them what actually happened. Hum.

Freudiangirl, you can't always stop or control feelings.. It's learning the tools to cope with them that's the thing. It will come in time.. You're among friends here..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

What do you think it's down to?. Is it a combination? Sometimes I get like that, and I get scared to move in case I make things worse. It doesn't make sense but then again very little about this sh1tty illness does..

I really don't know and i've been driving myself crazy trying to figure out why my anxiety has disappeared this week. I'm constantly over analysing and googling about depression/anxiety...

I'm off medication the last few months so can't really blame it on that. As a previous poster said I feel numb but i'm not sure it's in a depressive way..

So confused..............

Carzony, that sounds like a confusing place to be.. Try not to analyse the lack of anxiety too much.. Focus more on getting yourself back into some sort of routine. When I'm bedbound I try my damndest to impose an opposite action.. I get up and stay up for a while. Maybe a shower as self care is the first thing I lose when depressed, eating, sleeping and just showering feel too huge to consider but I try bargaining with myself a little and it's slowly breaking old habits.. Also as I often say - doctor google is NOT your friend..

How are you today, Gremlinertia?

How are you today, Gremlinertia?

Rough therapy appointment yesterday still has me ruminating a bit. Tackling it as I notice it but it's tiring.. How are you keeping?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

Well done Hugo. Town's always mad on a Saturday, personally I avoid where possible and I'm a city native! Glad you had a good day.

I keep getting asked by family about my exams. Doesn't feel good to lie to them but equally I don't see the need to tell them what actually happened. Hum.

I dislike crowds as well. I tend to avoid them in general. Before I used get really anxious and feel people were looking at me. Now I just find people annoying and, I get quite irritated easily.

Before I used feel an obligation to over share with some people. Now I understand that I don't have to tell anybody anything. If I don't like the direction a conversation is going, then I switch it. I may ask the person a question about themselves.

At times a person may upset me especially if they ask question re my job situation. One time I could feel the tears actually rising, I quickly made an escape at the first opportunity. People usually aren't being intentionally rude. They are just basing their opinion on what little information they know. My extended family don't know I was on illness benefit for nearly a year and suffer from depression. I can tell they don't understand why I don't have a new job. At the end of the day it's none of their business.

Rough therapy appointment yesterday still has me ruminating a bit. Tackling it as I notice it but it's tiring.. How are you keeping?

Anything in particular on your mind you want to talk about?

I'm alright, anxiety not as bad as it has been, but still not exactly functioning normally. Been avoiding a lot of things that really need my attention sort of urgently.

Nah I think I'm ok.. Just sometimes after a tougher appointment it takes a while for the dust to settle, so to speak.

Frogs, only my mam knows I'm on medication and at she doesn't know the extent.. It's just easier that way for me I think. A good few people I know here are aware of my dbt group, mainly because I'm trying to be open in case anyone else feels they might want to ask me about it.. As you said you don't really owe anyone information about your personal circumstances.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

greenfrogs wrote: »
    I dislike crowds as well. I tend to avoid them in general. Before I used get really anxious and feel people were looking at me. Now I just find people annoying and, I get quite irritated easily.

Before I used feel an obligation to over share with some people. Now I understand that I don't have to tell anybody anything. If I don't like the direction a conversation is going, then I switch it. I may ask the person a question about themselves.

At times a person may upset me especially if they ask question re my job situation. One time I could feel the tears actually rising, I quickly made an escape at the first opportunity. People usually aren't being intentionally rude. They are just basing their opinion on what little information they know. My extended family don't know I was on illness benefit for nearly a year and suffer from depression. I can tell they don't understand why I don't have a new job. At the end of the day it's none of their business.

Good post GF. What you said about oversharing with people is something i tend to do a lot. I dont know why it is but i feel i could tell my life story to a complete stranger. Its just when im talking to people i seem to lack control over what comes out of my mouth. It gets me into trouble sometimes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement