Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

For me, I think it's because I had nothing else to say. Now I have more self-confidence, hobbies and a social life so I find conversation a bit easier. Also, I refrain from speaking rubbish if there is a gap in conversation. That was my downfall before, I felt pressure to continue a conversation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭GeneralC

Not bothered with studying or anything in general since I got the news of having my third open surgery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭scrimshanker

GeneralC wrote: »
    Not bothered with studying or anything in general since I got the news of having my third open surgery

I can't imagine how tough what you're going through is. It sucks, and it's really unfair. No wonder you can't study - open heart surgery weighing on your mind would make that impossible.

I've heard of psychology services being made available to cancer patients to help them cope with their diagnosis and treatment. Maybe you could ask your doctor if anything similar could be made available for you? Do you have a heart support group you can attend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭GeneralC

I can't imagine how tough what you're going through is. It sucks, and it's really unfair. No wonder you can't study - open heart surgery weighing on your mind would make that impossible.

I've heard of psychology services being made available to cancer patients to help them cope with their diagnosis and treatment. Maybe you could ask your doctor if anything similar could be made available for you? Do you have a heart support group you can attend?

I don't think there is such a thing tbh.

I feel I am older than I am, 27 already

I'm hoping this week will bring some good news. The having no job situation is getting me quite down. After some research I think I might be eligible for the CE scheme. It offers part time jobs which would suit me as I can't work some days due to therapy. And hopefully I would get some experience which will be really good. It sounds like something that would suit me after a tough year.

• Advertisement

GeneralC wrote: »
    I don't think there is such a thing tbh.

I feel I am older than I am, 27 already

That's actually quite strange. I thought hospitals were meant to encourage psychological care and support during major surgeries/illnesses. Or maybe, it's one of the things they encourage yet, provide no resources for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Carzony, that sounds like a confusing place to be.. Try not to analyse the lack of anxiety too much.. Focus more on getting yourself back into some sort of routine. When I'm bedbound I try my damndest to impose an opposite action.. I get up and stay up for a while. Maybe a shower as self care is the first thing I lose when depressed, eating, sleeping and just showering feel too huge to consider but I try bargaining with myself a little and it's slowly breaking old habits.. Also as I often say - doctor google is NOT your friend..

I feel i tick all the boxes of a person suffering with depression staying in bed, not wanting to get dressed, low energy, negative attitude, very little enjoyment in most activities and don't like social outings/interactions ect ect..

For some reason I just don't believe i'm depressed, Ironicially Maybe my lack of belief is depression or anxiety coming into play ??

carzony wrote: »
    I feel i tick all the boxes of a person suffering with depression staying in bed, not wanting to get dressed, low energy, negative attitude, very little enjoyment in most activities and don't like social outings/interactions ect ect..

For some reason I just don't believe i'm depressed, Ironicially Maybe my lack of belief is depression or anxiety coming into play ??

Have you ever been diagnosed with depression by a doctor?

greenfrogs wrote: »
    Have you ever been diagnosed with depression by a doctor?

I have never officially been diagnosed with anything even though I have regular panic attacks.. The Gp Has sent me to a councellor I see every week and given me medication but never actually diagnosed...

I asked her a few monhs ago would it be possible or any point to getting a diagnosis and she said no..

Can that doctor not diagnose you? My gp diagnosed me. I was referred to the mental health services where that was backed up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,239 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Counsellor probably can't diagnose at all. Same as they can't prescribe medication, either your gp or get your gp to refer you to nearest mental health nurse/team or whatever is available.

She told me i'd have to go to a psychiatrist which would take months. She also said the psychiatrists are very choosy on who they assess considering the waiting lists. So I left it at that..

My councellor made me fill in an assessment form but that was it so far..

Actually funny enough, monday i got a very strange appointment card to see a mental health service doctor so maybe that could be it..

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭alaskayoung

I went I had to as it was with my son.
    Stressed to the max all day. Feel as if my anxiety is through the roof.
    Is it wrong to want to go back to st pats tomorrow? This weekend has just been too much ... I have so many urges right now which would help relieve my pain a bit but trying not to act on them.

I can totally relate to what you're saying. I was in hospital for a few weeks back in February and found overnight leave very difficult too. After being in such a quiet and controlled environment the outside world can seem really daunting. There are people in hospital watching and taking care of you all the time so I found being responsible for myself on leave pretty hard to cope with. I also felt the same about how overwhelming people and noise were. They made me feel on the verge of panic. I just wanted to run and hide under my covers, especially when having conversation with people who are excited to have you out :P It's difficult to explain to them how you feel too because everyone expects you to be desperate to get out of there but for me it was definitely not the case.
    I know it's really hard to go home for a day or two sometimes and it can be tempting to stay instead but I'd really really advise you to stick with it because eventually when you are discharged it can be a major shock to you if you haven't been in and out a little before that. Also despite how it feels you do adjust after a few days to the noise and fast pace of life again. It's not an easy time at all, you're doing really well. Take your time and be gentle with yourself x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Haven't posted here in a while as I have been fairly OK. But in the past 2 weeks my depression has came back in full force again. Some days I just won't to roll my self into a ball and stay in a corner for the day while others I am grand and jumping around the place.

Thursday night was quite a bad night for me. As I wasn't felling well at all and something happened in work and it put me into a rurt and I just wonted to go home. I was lucky I had another girl who's fantasic at her job working with me so I was able to go a bit easyer.

I think it's just the stress up doing endless interviews to get a job with my degree has started to take its tole on me as I won't for a interview there this week and it was said it was a IT job but turned out to be a business job and right away for the 4 hour interview I was completely out of my depth. When I had to sit down for the group thing we had to do I had a panic attack on the spot and I wonted to get up and get fresh air but I couldn't and didn't won't to seem like I wasn't able for it. The panic attack was brought on by how this wasn't a job for me and I just wasn't able for the interview compare to the one I done the week before I was fantasic at it. Was able to Ans every quastion that I was faced with and was able to do the database they wonted me to draw out and give the basic code to no problem.

But then as well you have so called friends who for no reason what so ever stop talking to you completely once you try and do something with your life and try push yourself as much as passable. Then you confurt them over there problem and they just give you a childish ans completely over it and Shockley it dosint make me up set. Just a bit pissed that you done Notting what so ever and they just be a smart ass when you say something.

At the moment I am just a bit burned out with things and need some just to chil out and relax a's I have been on the go none stop for months and I hope my holiday at the start of next month will help me get my mind of things and just relax.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭runningbuddy

Another **** night her too......my main symptom is and has always been insomnia now it's off the chart. Started Effexor 75mg 4 days ago and it's worse than every. I take sleeping tablets but have been taking them on and off for months now...I'm terrified of becoming too dependent. I can't even nap when I get the chance.....the anxiety kicks in straight away. I would love to know how to break this cycle of insomnia....have been off work for 2 weeks but need to get back soon and no way can I if sleep,isn't sorted

Oh dear, not off to a good start here either, very very agitated today

Did something set it off schrimshaker?? With me, I think it's exhaustion....but have always felt positive but now I feel I will never get better....I have 3 children and feel they deserve better than this incapable asshole:mad:

Did something set it off schrimshaker?? With me, I think it's exhaustion....but have always felt positive but now I feel I will never get better....I have 3 children and feel they deserve better than this incapable asshole:mad:

No Idea what set it off. Sorry to hear things are seeming so bleak today. The thing with kids is that above all else, they just need to be loved. That you're concerned about them and worry about the job you're doing shows that you love them. You're already giving them all they need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

On a bit of a downer here today after my fun day out yesterday.

We are all in the horrors together do....christ if I could get some sleep

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,239 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I feel all groggy and very off. Like i'm on a tight rope or something.

I feel all groggy and very off. Like i'm on a tight rope or something.

What's happening there Grem?

Not a whole pile just don't feel like i'm connected at all today.

Not a whole pile just don't feel like i'm connected at all today.

Sorry to hear that G. :(

Getting up and doing something is just not happening for me.. Trying not to beat myself up about it..

Don't beat yourself up Gremlin....can you chill out? Watch a bit of Tv?

Trying that, i'm just feeling guilty about wasting the day. Can't take my own advice..

Trying that, i'm just feeling guilty about wasting the day. Can't take my own advice..

I get the whole guilt about wasting the day too. It's a hard one. Like motivation is difficult to summon up when we feel like this.

Gremlin...did you mention that you work nights? You deserve this day....if you can read/chill out/ watch TV..it's not a waste of a day pal x

• Advertisement

Gremlin...did you mention that you work nights? You deserve this day....if you can read/chill out/ watch TV..it's not a waste of a day pal x

Well said there Buddy

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement