Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

carzony wrote: »
    She told me i'd have to go to a psychiatrist which would take months. She also said the psychiatrists are very choosy on who they assess considering the waiting lists. So I left it at that..

My councellor made me fill in an assessment form but that was it so far..

Actually funny enough, monday i got a very strange appointment card to see a mental health service doctor so maybe that could be it..

So she hasn't diagnosed you nor has she referred you to someone who can. Like Grem said counsellors can't diagnose.

How can you get better when you are not even sure what is going on. Diagnosis is a key step in recovery. I'm actually appalled by your doctor. How can you even get better when you are wondering what exactly is wrong.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,239 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Gremlin...did you mention that you work nights? You deserve this day....if you can read/chill out/ watch TV..it's not a waste of a day pal x

Thanks, I do work nights, I'm chuffed you noted that!. I made it up and showered so walked dog. Not too bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭scrimshanker

greenfrogs wrote: »
    How can you get better when you are not even sure what is going on. Diagnosis is a key step in recovery. I'm actually appalled by your doctor. How can you even get better when you are wondering what exactly is wrong.

I think GPs are reluctant to diagnose... I know I have no diagnosis, although I've been referred to the dean clinics (which seem to take AAAAAAAGES to get an appointment in) with "severe anxiety". Although now my counsellor is talking about PTSD. Fun and games. I'm sure it'll all come out in the wash whenever I get seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

So she hasn't diagnosed you nor has she referred you to someone who can. Like Grem said counsellors can't diagnose.

It's scary how fast they hand out anti-depressants. i've seen 2 doctors and they both handed out medication in less than 2 minutes. :eek::eek:

I would have thought getting a diagnosis would be the first thing to do before even starting councelling sessions..

I've done many of the depression/anxiety tests online and I have gotten a ''seek help'':eek: most of the time lol....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

It's scary how fast they hand out anti-depressants. i've seen 2 doctors and they both handed out medication in less than 2 minutes. :eek::eek:

I would have thought getting a diagnosis would be the first thing to do before even starting councelling sessions..

I've done many of the depression/anxiety tests online and I have gotten a ''seek help'':eek: most of the time lol....

In my own case they actually held off on medication for a good while. Would of actually rathered if they had started with the meds first.

• Advertisement

My gp gave me diazepam on my first visit. However she didn't give me anti depressants until a second appointment a few days later.

That is scary. But, having no diagnosis isn't really on. I don't understand that rationale. It would be different if she had referred you on but, she didn't.

You're in counselling yet, you are still wondering what you have. It's time and energy wasting. Your focus should be on getting better, not on what you have.

It's like being sent for brain surgery yet, not knowing the reason why. Counselling is a treatment. A treatment for what though?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

My gp gave me diazepam on my first visit. However she didn't give me anti depressants until a second appointment a few days later.

That is scary. But, having no diagnosis isn't really on. I don't understand that rationale. It would be different if she had referred you on but, she didn't.

You're in counselling yet, you are still wondering what you have. It's time and energy wasting. Your focus should be on getting better, not on what you have.

It's like being sent for brain surgery yet, not knowing the reason why. Counselling is a treatment. A treatment for what though?

My first visit I was given 10mg of lexapro and referred to the councellor. I have just been going along with the system and just figured this was the normal pattern.

Through counselling I have discovered social anxiety, anxiety disorder, agrophobia and possibly depression but there all just guess work and I have no expert diagnosis as of yet..

I could possibly be on a waiting list but I have never been told that I was referred to a psychiatrist..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭runningbuddy

Thanks, I do work nights, I'm chuffed you noted that!. I made it up and showered so walked dog. Not too bad.

Have a good memory grem....hope you feeling okay now. Have a tonne of books here...wish I could concentrate long enough to read:mad:

My first visit I was given 10mg of lexapro and referred to the councellor. I have just been going along with the system and just figured this was the normal pattern.

Through counselling I have discovered social anxiety, anxiety disorder, agrophobia and possibly depression but there all just guess work and I have no expert diagnosis as of yet..

I could possibly be on a waiting list but I have never been told that I was referred to a psychiatrist..

I would double check to see if you are on a waiting list. I have been diagnosed with depression and bpd traits. I was never diagnosed with social anxiety though my counsellor has treated me for it. I'm not sure if she discussed this with the psych doc. Anyway, although I don't have a formal diagnosis, I definitely do suffer from social anxiety.

Sometimes the treatment is complicated as you may have one or more issues. Therefore you need the best medical team around you. I don't think your doctor is supporting you enough. Maybe other people have had a similar experience to you. I just know my experience and it was very thorough.

Agitated doesn't even begin to cover it. I want this to end.

• Advertisement

Agitated doesn't even begin to cover it. I want this to end.

Do you know when you became agitated and what happened in the hours leading up to it.

Do you know when you became agitated and what happened in the hours leading up to it.

Building all day. Not really sure why. Gone out for a bit to try district myself. Ugh

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,239 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I am feeling pretty idiotic right now despite the fact I know in the back of my mind that I did the right thing. Could scream..

I am feeling pretty idiotic right now despite the fact I know in the back of my mind that I did the right thing. Could scream..

I have felt similar in the past. Sometimes it can take a while to see the benefits of something right. Be proud of yourself for doing the right thing. So many times I have done the wrong thing and have woken up the next day, feeling absolutely disgusted with myself.

It's just weird feeling because now this woman is angry with me and won't see why now and I'm more worried she won't tomorrow.. Sorry for bringing personals here.

It's just weird feeling because now this woman is angry with me and won't see why now and I'm more worried she won't tomorrow.. Sorry for bringing personals here.

Personal is what this place is all about Grem.

You can bring up whatever you want in this thread. People are hard work. You have no power over that woman's thought or actions. You can only control yourself. It's difficult having people angry with you. However, I think it's part of life. Part of this illness is that we overanalyse everything and feel responsible for things that we shouldn't.

Ah I'm just upset because I felt I had to send her home and she's mad at me for it and more angry that I wouldn't stay with her because I wanted back out. So I am a bit of a bitch here..

Ah I'm just upset because I felt I had to send her home and she's mad at me for it and more angry that I wouldn't stay with her because I wanted back out. So I am a bit of a bitch here..

You ain't no bitch, G.

Are you this person's manager?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

How do you deal? Sorry need a new thread to take part in and this seems Right where I am now. This whole anxiety thing is driving me mad. Letting it affect my daily well-being but can't seem to over come it or level it out.

Jhcx wrote: »
    How do you deal? Sorry need a new thread to take part in and this seems Right where I am now. This whole anxiety thing is driving me mad. Letting it affect my daily well-being but can't seem to over come it or level it out.

Sorry to hear that J.

When does it happen to you? Like is it only in certain situations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭GeneralC

How is everyone tonight?

GeneralC wrote: »
    How is everyone tonight?

Pondering stuff GC.

How are you, my friend?

Pondering stuff GC.

How are you, my friend?

What are you pondering Hugo?

I am ok, just in from work. I really am starting to feel the side effects of these heart tabs now :(

What are you pondering Hugo?

I am ok, just in from work. I really am starting to feel the side effects of these heart tabs now :(

Nothing too important really.

I hope it's not too nosy to ask, what kind of side effects?

Nothing too important really.

I hope it's not too nosy to ask, what kind of side effects?

Anything you want to chat about?

Tiredness, heavy legs, feeling very flat, no energy.

Anything you want to chat about?

Tiredness, heavy legs, feeling very flat, no energy.

Sorry to hear that man. I'd imagine that can all mess with your head too.

Ah I'm alright. Just a bit bored is all. The auld mind can wander aimlessly when bored.

Sorry to hear that man. I'd imagine that can all mess with your head too.

Ah I'm alright. Just a bit bored is all. The auld mind can wander aimlessly when bored.

Are you in work tomorrow Hugo?

• Advertisement

Are you in work tomorrow Hugo?

I'm not actually. I booked it off during the week.

How about you GC?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement