Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭GeneralC

I'm not actually. I booked it off during the week.

How about you GC?

Any plans for your week off? No, I was in today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

GeneralC wrote: »
    Any plans for your week off? No, I was in today.

Not the whole week off, just Monday unfortunately! I get to delay the Sunday night blues for another few hours though. LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭scrimshanker

I swung by my old primary school. Can't believe how sad and upset it made me. I wasn't in the best of moods to begin with, but I just felt so very sad that I didn't protect the little kid I was who was so happy and had so much potential.

I swung by my old primary school. Can't believe how sad and upset it made me. I wasn't in the best of moods to begin with, but I just felt so very sad that I didn't protect the little kid I was who was so happy and had so much potential.

*hugs* Sorry to hear it made you feel so upset Scrim. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

You still have so much potential and a long, happy life to work towards. There comes a time when you have to forget the past. I have thought the same re my life. I never thought my life would be like this. I was in a relationship for a number of years that was very controlling and suffocating. I look back now and see how lucky I was to escape. I'm not comparing my situation to yours in any way. For me, I forgave myself for my past because I was young and also suffered from mental health issues back then.

You come across here as a lovely, intelligent person. Use those qualities to build a new life for yourself.

• Advertisement

Thanks guys.

Strange as it sounds, I think it might be progress of some sort. I've always gone along thinking I was grand, that my past hadn't affected me. Now I feel like I let that little kid die and even the whole time the SOB was grooming me he kept reminding me I was not an adult, I was just a kid. He knew what he was doing. He knew it would damage me. And now I'm so incredibly sad that it happened. It's like I'm actually feeling it for the first time. You know how people talk about the stages of grief? It's like I've finally come out of the shock stage and can start to grieve for the child I lost and move on from it properly. I hope so anyway.

I parked for a while in an empty area and just cried. I was only intending to mope a little but it turned into 15 minutes of hysterical sobbing. Feel a bit better though. Not half as agitated as earlier. Sorry for the spiel.

No need to apologise Scrim. We're all here to listen to each other.

Thanks guys.

Strange as it sounds, I think it might be progress of some sort. I've always gone along thinking I was grand, that my past hadn't affected me. Now I feel like I let that little kid die and even the whole time the SOB was grooming me he kept reminding me I was not an adult, I was just a kid. He knew what he was doing. He knew it would damage me. And now I'm so incredibly sad that it happened. It's like I'm actually feeling it for the first time. You know how people talk about the stages of grief? It's like I've finally come out of the shock stage and can start to grieve for the child I lost and move on from it properly. I hope so anyway.

I parked for a while in an empty area and just cried. I was only intending to mope a little but it turned into 15 minutes of hysterical sobbing. Feel a bit better though. Not half as agitated as earlier. Sorry for the spiel.

I actually know exactly how you feel. There is one thing in my life that I wish never happened. It changed me as a person. For years I blocked it out but, then something happened that made me have to deal with. Some things leave a lot of emotional pain. I couldn't accept that it had happened to me. I block it out mostly these days because I've grieved for what could of been. I spent months crying. It's what started this depressive episode in my opinion.

I hope you move on from it. Like you said, grief is an important stage in order to move forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

Sorry to hear that J.

When does it happen to you? Like is it only in certain situations?

Mostly certain situations. Letting stress of work get to me then pilling personal issues on top of that I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

greenfrogs wrote: »
    I'm hoping this week will bring some good news. The having no job situation is getting me quite down. After some research I think I might be eligible for the CE scheme. It offers part time jobs which would suit me as I can't work some days due to therapy. And hopefully I would get some experience which will be really good. It sounds like something that would suit me after a tough year.

I'm not sure wether a job would make things better or worse for me personally. last week i done nothing and it's the most calm i've been in a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭runningbuddy

Sorry to hear that greenfrogs....how are you feeling today?

I took a sleeping tablet last nights so I slept and feel okay....bitch of anxiety but have a busy day ahead with the kids....and feel 10 times better when I sleep. Going to clinic tomorrow.....going to ask if there is any meds I can take along with the Effexor to help with sleep....something long term...not just sleepers....it's my insomnia that is the crux of the problem to be honest:mad:

Jhcx wrote: »
    Mostly certain situations. Letting stress of work get to me then pilling personal issues on top of that I guess.

Same here friend. It can be a very nasty cycle, can't it.

Same here friend. It can be a very nasty cycle, can't it.

Really is. like today im not so bad. but last night just got the better of me. its just a weird thing and doesnt help when i cant control it or have an understanding of what it is :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,239 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Welcome to the thread Jhcx, seems like you've found the right place.

To you guys that helped me out last night, thank you all so much, it's all come good despite my drama. I fcukin love the people on this thread..

To you guys that helped me out last night, thank you all so much, it's all come good despite my drama. I fcukin love the people on this thread..

We're all mad about you too in here Grem! x :)

You've always helped us out in here.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭NicoleW85

Hi peeps, I'm back! Had a lovely time in Wicklow & Dublin, job hunting and chilling out - it was invaluable. I badly needed it. Now that I'm back in Donegal I KNOW I need to move. This is not home and I will never settle here. But in the meantime I will do my best to 'grin and bear it'
    How are you all today? X

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,239 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Aww shucks Hugo, thanks..

Hi Nicole, glad you got some clarity on things, you can at least begin to plan now.

NicoleW85 wrote: »
    Hi peeps, I'm back! Had a lovely time in Wicklow & Dublin, job hunting and chilling out - it was invaluable. I badly needed it. Now that I'm back in Donegal I KNOW I need to move. This is not home and I will never settle here. But in the meantime I will do my best to 'grin and bear it'
    How are you all today? X

Glad to have you back Nicole! :)

Welcome to the thread Jhcx, seems like you've found the right place.

Thanks for the welcome. I'm gonna be popping in and out till I find my feet. Although at the rate growing up is going don't think I ever Will but sure once the anxiety is gone I'm Happy.

I've been here a few years, drop in and out as you feel like it we're all easy going enough and have a decent support network going on..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭heyday30

Welcome Jhcx.
    This thread is here as are the people in it for you.
    The support is great. Even if you just need to vent off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

Hey there everyone.

Sounds like a few of us have been going through a tough time these past few days. I'm stuck in a cycle of staying in bed all day. I want to stop doing that so much, it's such a waste of a day and it always makes me feel like ****.

Carzony, you said you got an appointment card in the post to see a mental health doctor? That is probably your appointment to see the psychiatrist.

carzony wrote: »
    I'm not sure wether a job would make things better or worse for me personally. last week i done nothing and it's the most calm i've been in a long time.

That's great about last week. There have been some days that I have relished not having a job. Sometimes even getting up and dressed was a struggle. I don't know, sometimes life can be so depressing. I went out with a friend earlier. I actually don't really enjoy spending time with her anymore. All she talks about is her work and we have very little in common. It gets boring to listen to. I came home in a cranky mood. Then I'm thinking is the problem me. But, I don't enjoy spending time with her.

That's great about last week. There have been some days that I have relished not having a job. Sometimes even getting up and dressed was a struggle. I don't know, sometimes life can be so depressing. I went out with a friend earlier. I actually don't really enjoy spending time with her anymore. All she talks about is her work and we have very little in common. It gets boring to listen to. I came home in a cranky mood. Then I'm thinking is the problem me. But, I don't enjoy spending time with her.

Do you think you could suggest you both take something up? Try something like surfing or indoor rock climbing or a cooking class together. It might give you something different to talk about and help you reconnect. If all she talks about is work then she could probably do with something fun to try. I know normally the advice is to not bother if you don't enjoy their company, but friends can be hard to make and if you became friends then it might be easier and better for you both to try make the friendship better?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

i've a friend like that. All he talks about is the volunteering he does and how he works with the hse, gardai and army. Drives me mad and i have very little contact with him over it.

I'm seriously thinking of taking up swimming or something. it may help with my breathing plus i'd be fitter in no time.

I spoke to the counsellor today, He reckons my family and lifestyle could either be depressed or mimic depression.. He also think my family enviornment could be where my problems are. Very intresting and makes a lot of sense..

My anxiety has gone for now lads and I even feel positive. I doubt it'll last but i'm enjoying it for now:D:D.

Oh enjoy that feeling Carzony, I'm learning to stay with good feelings instead of worrying what it'll be like when it's over.. My negative feelings manifest as muscular pain at times and I've found staying with content or happy feelings keeps that at bay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭heyday30

Glad to hear your feeling well carzony.
    It's a great feeling when anxiety lifts :)

When I get overly stressed and anxious it tends to flair up in my belly (ibd). I think it totally manifests itself in the body grem.

carzony wrote: »
    i've a friend like that. All he talks about is the volunteering he does and how he works with the hse, gardai and army. Drives me mad and i have very little contact with him over it.

I'm seriously thinking of taking up swimming or something. it may help with my breathing plus i'd be fitter in no time.

I spoke to the counsellor today, He reckons my family and lifestyle could either be depressed or mimic depression.. He also think my family enviornment could be where my problems are. Very intresting and makes a lot of sense..

My anxiety has gone for now lads and I even feel positive. I doubt it'll last but i'm enjoying it for now:D:D.

It is annoying. I like your ideas Scrim but I don't think that will happen. I've suggested cooking before and she doesn't like heights. Every single thing is beginning to annoy me at this stage. I think it's gone too far. I don't want to be a nasty person but even seeing her every few weeks is annoying me. I actually dread it. She may be moving away soon so hopefully we won't have much contact after that.

Great that the anxiety is gone. Swimming sounds like a fab idea. Very good exercise.

I wish I could go swimming however, I will never wear a swimsuit or bikini so that's out. I may be going surfing soon. I can't wait. I'll be wearing a wetsuit so no body issue problems.

Frogs, sometimes a friendship just runs it's course.. I don't think we ever stop changing as we grow so sometimes that leads to a diverging of ways.. By the sounds of this situation it'll probably peter out in time.. Don't feel bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭runningbuddy

Eimear..I'm sorry to hear that but is sounds like it's just a break. Do you take anything for your anxiety or counselling? Hope you are not dealing with it alone....hope you okay today x

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement