Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Sorry to hear that Eimear. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Knew it was to good to be true. Had a very minor panic episode in the car.. ffs

carzony wrote: »
    Knew it was to good to be true. Had a very minor panic episode in the car.. ffs

That's rough man. Anything set it off?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,239 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Hey Eimear, welcome to the thread.. Sorry to hear about how things are. Anxiety is a very claustrophobic condition indeed.. Have you been to a doctor about it?. For me anxiety has created a rut whereby I've gotten into a routine I feel desperately uncomfortable leaving. I'm now on a dbt course to help rewire myself a bit. It's great. By the sounds of things your boyfriend will be fine just needs a little head space.

Carzony, try not to get too discouraged, as you said, it was minor - breathe and as always rant here..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

Frogs, sometimes a friendship just runs it's course.. I don't think we ever stop changing as we grow so sometimes that leads to a diverging of ways.. By the sounds of this situation it'll probably peter out in time.. Don't feel bad.

Yah true. It has run its course. I'd rather have no friends then a friend who I don't enjoy spending time with. I have suggested events where she can meet other people I know but the answer is always no.

• Advertisement

That's rough man. Anything set it off?

On the way to the pet shop and I was in traffic.. I began doing the usual distraction techniques like grabbing the seat, messing with the gear stick ect... It was quite difficult and I was trying to stay in a position where I could do a u turn if needed:eek:.

carzony wrote: »
    On the way to the pet shop and I was in traffic.. I began doing the usual distraction techniques like grabbing the seat, messing with the gear stick ect... It was quite difficult and I was trying to stay in a position where I could do a u turn if needed:eek:.

Sorry to hear that butty. Traffic can be stressful enough even at the best of times. Did you make it to the pet shop in the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Eimear811

Thanks for the nice comments runningbuddy, hugo and grem. Apologies for whining, my head was in a bad whirly way this morning, no doubt I've more of that to look forward to tomorrow morning. Joys.

Yes I've been everywhere with my anxiety. On antidepressants with years, have done CBT, hypnotherapy, general counselling, nutrition therapy, acupuncture, angel therapy & faith healing (I do not believe in any of that angel/faith craic but my mother was desperate to do anything to help her constantly weeping 16 year old at the time), bioenergy, reflexology, mindfulness etc etc etc

I have found CBT helpful. Have any of ye done anything that you felt made an improvement?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,239 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I'm at dbt, which is very like cbt, it includes a lot of mindfulness - I had that written off as hippy stuff but it works well in tandem with the dbt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭scrimshanker

My new philosophy is to throw stuff out and rearrange furniture

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭runningbuddy

The only thing tHing that ever really helped me was meds and running.....into my first week of Effexor now and struggling big time:mad:But trying my best to stay positive xx

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

it doesnt matter what your philosophy is, as long as you have one

Scrimshanker and Runningbuddy, physical movement and change seems to partner directly with shifting moods. I try to do the same.. I would very much wallow in a depression whereas now if I feel it coming on (and most importantly notice it in the first place) I pretty much force myself to get up and move.. Well done to ye on figuring it out by yourselves!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭heyday30

I do that every few weeks scrim. :/ always moving furniture round.

I love clearing out my place as well. I'm the opposite of a hoarder. I like throwing out things that hold bad memories for me, very therapeutic.

The only thing tHing that ever really helped me was meds and running.....into my first week of Effexor now and struggling big time:mad:But trying my best to stay positive xx

I enjoy a good walk from time to time. It can sometimes change the mood completely.

Hope things turn around there for you soon RB. x

There is order to my chaos. :cool::pac:

I really need to get some black bags out and throw a shape on my place. I've let it go to hell.. Think as a defence against anyone inviting themselves over..

I really need to get some black bags out and throw a shape on my place. I've let it go to hell.. Think as a defence against anyone inviting themselves over..

Do you find that it affects your mood if your place is messy? I dislike chaos. I try to keep on top of it. I think if the place is messy then its usually because I'm down.

My use of the word "chaos" does not mean dirt though, just not all minimalist. Just clarifying is all. :o

• Advertisement

Sometimes I don't notice too much.. But if I'm down I use it against me alright. Like Hugo it's not dirty just stuff piled up all over the place.

Like Hugo it's not dirty just stuff piled up all over the place.

Don't diss the pile, Grem! :pac:

Sometimes I don't notice too much.. But if I'm down I use it against me alright. Like Hugo it's not dirty just stuff piled up all over the place.

I was imagining your place was overrun with mice, cockroaches and dirt :p

I find even dressing my bed in the morning feels good. It's nice to come into a clean and tidy bedroom.

How do you find the group therapy. I'm very nervous in case I will need to share personal information. I know you don't need to tell the whole background but a few details need to be included. I'm worried in case they think I'm the crazy, stalker girl. My past behaviour mortifies me. :(

But, at the same time I need to work on that behaviour. So I need to keep that in mind.

Hey there Frogs, to be perfectly honest I was so nervous I threw up before first group and it took enormous will to make the second one. From there I haven't looked back.. As for personal info, it's broken down to very core blocks of emotion and logic. You'll never have to tell a full or even partial story if you don't want to.. In our group some share specifics and some do not but we all end up doing the same work but on our own issues..

Hey there Frogs, to be perfectly honest I was so nervous I threw up before first group and it took enormous will to make the second one. From there I haven't looked back.. As for personal info, it's broken down to very core blocks of emotion and logic. You'll never have to tell a full or even partial story if you don't want to.. In our group some share specifics and some do not but we all end up doing the same work but on our own issues..

To be perfectly honest I was so nervous I threw up before first group and it took enormous will to make the second one. From there I haven't looked back.. As for personal info, it's broken down to very core blocks of emotion and logic. You'll never have to tell a full or even partial story if you don't want to.. In our group some share specifics and some do not but we all end up doing the same work but on our own issues..

That sounds like a good environment, Grem. I hope it keeps on going from strength to strength for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

My mum is a big hoarder and it really gets to me that most of the house is a mess. I mean some of the rooms you cant get into its that bad. When i lived on my own i had the place tidy and i felt better for it.

Hope all of you are doing ok and sorry i havent being of much help lately.

Sorry to hear that butty. Traffic can be stressful enough even at the best of times. Did you make it to the pet shop in the end?

I did, It's only 5 minutes from my house so that helped.

Mg, don't be sorry at all! We all drift in and out here.. I'll be missing for today and possibly tomorrow I'd guess.

Hi carzony, you're up early.

• Advertisement

Hi carzony, you're up early.

I went to bed at 9.00 last night so i've been up early:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement