Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

carzony wrote: »
    I did, It's only 5 minutes from my house so that helped.

Glad you got there man. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

Hey there Frogs, to be perfectly honest I was so nervous I threw up before first group and it took enormous will to make the second one. From there I haven't looked back.. As for personal info, it's broken down to very core blocks of emotion and logic. You'll never have to tell a full or even partial story if you don't want to.. In our group some share specifics and some do not but we all end up doing the same work but on our own issues..

Fair play for going when you were extremely nervous.

Woke up really anxious this morning. It hasn't shifted at all. Am early for work so am just outside trying to do some deep breathing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Woke up really anxious this morning. It hasn't shifted at all. Am early for work so am just outside trying to do some deep breathing.

I usually find being early for things like that help me. It gives me the chance to calm down:)..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭heyday30

Hope it improves for you there Hugo.

• Advertisement

I usually find being early for things like that help me. It gives me the chance to calm down:)..

Yeah totally. I could never rush, would be too stressful.

How ta today C?

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭NicoleW85

I've just gone 2 days without data on my phone and we still have no broadband sorted! I was going mad without the worldwide web!!! :p
    Hope you're all ok today - hope the anxiety has shifted Hugo, and Eimear - the break could be just what you both need to make sense of things. My husband doesn't 100% 'get' depression- so there are times he needs to take himself off for some down time. It's healthier in the long run :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

Hope the day went smooth for you there man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭runningbuddy

Day from bloody hell...was at clinic yesterday...told to stick with Effexor 75mg...I'm only one week one. Was told to cut out my sleeping tablets too...last night was hell.....but weirdly enough, I cried for the first time today. I have bent been able to cry since I started on Effexor...not sure if that's a good thing or not!! Doc told me to stick with Effexor for another 2 weeks and if no luck, try Zispin. Supposed to be back in work next week....don't see how I can manage that...thanks for listening folks xx

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

Day from bloody hell...was at clinic yesterday...told to stick with Effexor 75mg...I'm only one week one. Was told to cut out my sleeping tablets too...last night was hell.....but weirdly enough, I cried for the first time today. I have bent been able to cry since I started on Effexor...not sure if that's a good thing or not!! Doc told me to stick with Effexor for another 2 weeks and if no luck, try Zispin. Supposed to be back in work next week....don't see how I can manage that...thanks for listening folks xx

zispin is an anti-depressnat does it work for anxiety? no IMO. definitly not as powerful as xanax or rivotril

edit: sorry im wrong. zispin is an antidepressant. i was confusing it with olanzapine. zispin in high doses may get alleviate the symptoms of anxiety but the max dossage is 45mg because above that it could make you high. i still wouldnt consider it as effective as xanax. but it is not addictive. in order for it to really negate anxiety it would have to be a higher dose, which they would only prescribe in extreme short term situtaions

• Advertisement

I think zispin is an anti depressant but it has sedative qualities so it does help with getting you off to sleep. I was on the generic version which is Mirtazapine for about 4 months. It worked pretty well but only problem was i ate around me. When you find yourself in a supermarket aisle drooling at sugary snacks all the time you know theres something wrong. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭runningbuddy

Heard that about Zispin and food alright mg!! Have taken Effexor in the past and is was great....just wish it would bloody kick in. Took Trazadone for sleep and did nothing for me. Psych said Effexor the best for anxiety....his opinion though...they all different x

Heard that about Zispin and food alright mg!! Have taken Effexor in the past and is was great....just wish it would bloody kick in. Took Trazadone for sleep and did nothing for me. Psych said Effexor the best for anxiety....his opinion though...they all different x

The good thing about zispin is when you take it at night it will knock you out so should help with sleep issues. The highest dose i was on was 30mg. The funny thing about it is the higher the dose the less sedating it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

I don't know if the effects on anxiety kick in quicker with Effexor, but I have always found that it takes at least a month for any anti-depressant to start making a difference (I've been on various doses of Effexor for the past 5 years). Hopefully it starts to work for you soon runningbuddy.

heyday30 wrote: »
    Hope it improves for you there Hugo.
    mg1982 wrote: »
    Hope the day went smooth for you there man.
    NicoleW85 wrote: »
    Hope the anxiety has shifted Hugo

Thanks guys. :)

It started to fade once I got in there thankfully. I just hope that it doesn't rear its ugly head again this week.

NicoleW85 wrote: »
    I've just gone 2 days without data on my phone and we still have no broadband sorted! I was going mad without the worldwide web!!! :p

No internet? Damn! :(

Hopefully the next two weeks with Effexor will be more fruitful for you RB.

well another serious enough panic attack, ironically outside jamses hospital lol..

dry throat, severe shaking, couldnt breath, pins and needles and my mouth was locked shut..

i was fighting the panic attack for ages until it got the better of me..

feck it anyway.....

well another serious enough panic attack, ironically outside jamses hospital lol..

dry throat, severe shaking, couldnt breath, pins and needles and my mouth was locked shut..

i was fighting the panic attack for ages until it got the better of me..

feck it anyway.....

So sorry to hear that C. Any idea what set this off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭scrimshanker

I hate having really vivid dreams. Two of them from last night were unhappy. Now I don't want to go to sleep despite being tired because as soon as I get sleepy they come to mind. Plus the events of one took place in the supermarket and I was going to go there tomorrow but I might avoid instead just incase

So sorry to hear that C. Any idea what set this off?

no, they just come out of nowhere. It lasted about 5-10 minutes. Believe it or not i'm glad it happened, I've been wondering for weeks where my anxiety has gone and I have felt a little numb or somthing.

i felt a little nervous as soon as i left the house tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭GeneralC

How is everyone doing tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Eimear811

Thanks Nicole, needed to hear that.

Carzony -you said you were trying to fight the panic attack. Have you ever tried not fighting it and accepting the panic? Let all the awful feelings pass through you and accept that it is just nervous arousal and it can't physically harm you. And that it will pass and you will still be there afterwards.

I'm trying to do that at the moment, accepting anxiety instead of fighting it and while I haven't felt any big improvements yet, I do feel a bit less worn out from the constant battling.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 rainbowmoose

I finished up on 16 weeks of therapy yesterday.
    I'm still not sure how I feel about it.. I guess I'm kind of apprehensive/excited by the challenge of going it alone for a little while (follow up appointment in September) but scared of things gradually getting more and more negative and overwhelming without a weekly session to clear out my head.

I finished up on 16 weeks of therapy yesterday.
    I'm still not sure how I feel about it.. I guess I'm kind of apprehensive/excited by the challenge of going it alone for a little while (follow up appointment in September) but scared of things gradually getting more and more negative and overwhelming without a weekly session to clear out my head.

Hopefully things will go well for you there.

You're more than welcome to keep chatting with us here. It might help to get anything off your chest rather than going it alone.

Eimear811 wrote: »

Carzony -you said you were trying to fight the panic attack. Have you ever tried not fighting it and accepting the panic? Let all the awful feelings pass through you and accept that it is just nervous arousal and it can't physically harm you. And that it will pass and you will still be there afterwards.

I'm trying to do that at the moment, accepting anxiety instead of fighting it and while I haven't felt any big improvements yet, I do feel a bit less worn out from the constant battling.

If I accepted the panic i'd spend my life pulled over at the side of the road mate. I tried the breathing techniques but they make things worse.

I've been able to deal with panic attacks much better now, but the thoughts of going on holidays, attending concerts or being particulaly far away from home is not a good idea atm. My agrophobia is getting worse:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

If I accepted the panic i'd spend my life pulled over at the side of the road mate. I tried the breathing techniques but they make things worse.

I've been able to deal with panic attacks much better now, but the thoughts of going on holidays, attending concerts or being particulaly far away from home is not a good idea atm. My agrophobia is getting worse:(

Well maybe focus on small steps. No point going on long journeys away from home if you are certain a panic attack will occur. It's not forever, just for the moment.

I have never had a proper panic attack but it sounds scary and very unpredictable.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭NicoleW85

The joys of being unemployed - I can take myself back to bed in the middle of the day when I feel like it. That's 2 days in a row and I've slept for about 2 hours solid each day. Haven't done this in about 4 years, maybe longer. I really just want to move to Wicklow now - still no sign of job offers and the isolation of living here is killin me :(

greenfrogs wrote: »

I have never had a proper panic attack but it sounds scary and very unpredictable.

It's hard to explain. It's like you lose control and the panic of dying takes over. Then the body starts to react with many different symptoms.. It still amazes me that the body reacts so strongly :eek:

The lack of breathing can be frightening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

Being unemployed seems to take a toll on anxiety and so does being employed. Seriously is there any Winning haha.

• Advertisement

It's hard to explain. It's like you lose control and the panic of dying takes over. Then the body starts to react with many different symptoms.. It still amazes me that the body reacts so strongly :eek:

The lack of breathing can be frightening.

It's horrible man yeah.

Do you find yourself on the verge of tears too?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement