Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

It's horrible man yeah.

Do you find yourself on the verge of tears too?

no, but i really panic. I usually try and focus on getting home or letting the panic dissapear. Very hard when your driving though :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

Jhcx wrote: »
    Being unemployed seems to take a toll on anxiety and so does being employed. Seriously is there any Winning haha.

this is the bind people are in. they want to be around people, but people cause stress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

carzony wrote: »
    no, but i really panic. I usually try and focus on getting home or letting the panic dissapear. Very hard when your driving though :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I can imagine yeah. Especially in and around Dublin of all places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

I got really angry over something so trivial today. Let's just say my routine was interrupted. I have a set way I go about my day and I couldn't handle when it was thrown off course. I was so mad. I thought I might break my tablet because I was squeezing it so hard. I was cursing like a sailor and crying. I really need to remove myself from a situation when I feel myself getting angry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

greenfrogs wrote: »
    I got really angry over something so trivial today. Let's just say my routine was interrupted. I have a set way I go about my day and I couldn't handle when it was thrown off course. I was so mad. I thought I might break my tablet because I was squeezing it so hard. I was cursing like a sailor and crying. I really need to remove myself from a situation when I feel myself getting angry.

Routine during the day is very important to me too GF and when its broken i get very stressed as well. I guess as much as id like to have my day planned out life isnt like that and you will always get curveballs been thrown your way.

• Advertisement

I think it was the fact that it happened during my downtime when I was having lunch and watch TV. During this time I relax and distress. And get ready to do the rest of my 'jobs' for the day. But it didn't happen because someone else decided to sit down for 2 hours watching tv. I just have to manage my stress better. It was actually a bit unnerving. I can't remember acting like that since I started treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭NicoleW85

Just wondering, do any of you have tips for 'creating' structure to your day without it becoming too overwhelming? I've mentioned before I don't do very well with lists, but I manage better with them than with no plans at all. I think because I have no job & no friends around here, I tend to lack any 'get up and go' but I know it needs to change!i want to be a domestic goddess clean freak but my body says nooooo lol

I find lists quite good. I put down go for a walk, tidy up, make dinner. All tasks that need to be done but, sometimes it can be hard to find the motivation. It's nice to be able to tick off each one. It feels as least you have done something that day.

Also some gyms offer reduced rates for the unemployed. If you're interested, maybe have a look around your area. It would be something to do. Gym classes can be good enough for making small talk with others. Sometimes it's nice just have a quick chat with different people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭runningbuddy

Ah lads....the Effexor making me feel worse ....day 8 and feel worse than ever. Last night I had to ring Aware helpline...I was so desperate. About 7pm...it was like a dark cloud hit me and I had a huge panic attack and had to take Xanax. The psych had suggested Zispin the other day....will have to phone tomorrow and I feel that dark cloud coming back now. My husband has to stay at home....I feel I won't get better at this stage:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

Ah lads....the Effexor making me feel worse ....day 8 and feel worse than ever. Last night I had to ring Aware helpline...I was so desperate. About 7pm...it was like a dark cloud hit me and I had a huge panic attack and had to take Xanax. The psych had suggested Zispin the other day....will have to phone tomorrow and I feel that dark cloud coming back now. My husband has to stay at home....I feel I won't get better at this stage:(

zispin @ 45mg might work.

• Advertisement

I think it was the fact that it happened during my downtime when I was having lunch and watch TV. During this time I relax and distress. And get ready to do the rest of my 'jobs' for the day. But it didn't happen because someone else decided to sit down for 2 hours watching tv. I just have to manage my stress better. It was actually a bit unnerving. I can't remember acting like that since I started treatment.

Thats why im glad i only live with one person and i have my own room with a tv so i can go and chill there. But i can see where your coming from, you really need that break during the day so when its disrupted emotions run high.

Thanks roquetin.....anyone know if it's easy just to switch from one to another? Sorry, I appreciate ye not professionals on this site:)

They do say it can take 2-4 weeks for them to work and you can feel a little worse before feeling better. Maybe if you can try and give it the 2 weeks and see how you are then. If you start on the zispin now you will still have to wait till it kicks in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

I agree with mg - keep going with the effexor for the minute and see if it kicks in in the next few weeks. There is definitely a tendency to get worse for a while at first, so make sure you have supports around you to help deal with that. Ringing the aware helpline is good. Do lots of nice things for yourself. Imagine what you would do if you had a broken leg or arm - things need time to start healing, so look after yourself and be gentle with yourself runningbuddy.

Cheers folks....I have been on this before but this is def the worst I have ever been. Literally with each day, I'm getting bloody worse:(

mg1982 wrote: »
    Thats why im glad i only live with one person and i have my own room with a tv so i can go and chill there. But i can see where your coming from, you really need that break during the day so when its disrupted emotions run high.

There is another room with a tv. But, instead of moving I stayed there and got madder and madder. What's worse is that this is a difficult day for my Dad, his father's anniversary, which I had forgotten. And I've been pissy with him for hours. I feel really bad now. :(

RB,

I just realised I was on Effexor years back. Didn't realise at first because I only knew it was Venlafaxine. If I recall correctly, it took ages for it to kick in, like 4 or 5 weeks.

I can imagine yeah. Especially in and around Dublin of all places.

I avoid the likes of Temple bar as best I can, In fact lately i'm avoiding most places :rolleyes:

Anxiety can really make you almost housebound, Anyone else notice that?

I'm feeling very strange tonight. Very hard to breath and feel nervous or somthing. Think i'm on the verge of another panic attack..

Last week I thought they might have gone forever, no such luck lads.... :mad::mad:

There is another room with a tv. But, instead of moving I stayed there and got madder and madder. What's worse is that this is a difficult day for my Dad, his father's anniversary, which I had forgotten. And I've been pissy with him for hours. I feel really bad now. :(

Im sure he will understand and you didnt know it was the anniversary till now. I was in a real pissy mood today myself. Got a big phone bill in the post and the mood spiralled from there.

Im sure he will understand and you didnt know it was the anniversary till now. I was in a real pissy mood today myself. Got a big phone bill in the post and the mood spiralled from there.

That would put me in a terrible mood as well. Money worries suck.

Carzony I remember being out in Temple Bar going for a meal with my family one time. I got really upset and down as there were crowds of people there. I felt really fat and ugly, especially with all the pretty foreigners there. I ended up going back to the hotel without dinner because I was so upset. It definitely ruined the evening for everybody. This illness ruined so many occasions like that throughout my life.

• Advertisement

I avoid the likes of Temple bar as best I can, In fact lately i'm avoiding most places :rolleyes:

I'm feeling very strange tonight. Very hard to breath and feel nervous or somthing. Think i'm on the verge of another panic attack..

Last week I thought they might have gone forever, no such luck lads.... :mad::mad:

I did so much avoiding back in the early days of all this, that I become a recluse effectively. Lost the tiny bit of social life that I had to begin with.

Try to break out of the avoidance if at all possible Carzony. Don't end up like me!

I hope it's not another panic attack looming man. :(

I did so much avoiding back in the early days of all this, that I become a recluse effectively. Lost the tiny bit of social life that I had to begin with.

Try to break out of the avoidance if at all possible Carzony. Don't end up like me!

I hope it's not another panic attack looming man. :(

Breathing difficulty since atleast 7 this evening but a brief feeling of panic/nervous came over me for a while.. :rolleyes:

i've discussed it with the counseller and he agrees my anxiety has gotten a lot worse in the last few weeks. I blamed it on the good weather but sure that's gone now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭heyday30

Yep. I have no friends now obviously bar my family and some lovely online people here. The friends stopped asking me out/calling because I always had excuses not to go out,because of anxiety.

I hate crowds now of any sort.

Try some deep breathing carz.

heyday30 wrote: »
    Yep. I have no friends now obviously bar my family and some lovely online people here. The friends stopped asking me out/calling because I always had excuses not to go out,because of anxiety.

Oh how that sucks, eh?! :(

Oh how that sucks, eh?! :(

Yeah, it does wonder were they even real friends in the first place. :(
    Hope to make a start on meeting new genuine friends in the near future.

Yeah, it does wonder were they even real friends in the first place. :(
    Hope to make a start on meeting new genuine friends in the near future.

Same here. I was a right drifter afterall.

Here's to making some new pals! *raises glass of diet cola*

Breathing difficulty since atleast 7 this evening but a brief feeling of panic/nervous came over me for a while.. :rolleyes:

i've discussed it with the counseller and he agrees my anxiety has gotten a lot worse in the last few weeks. I blamed it on the good weather but sure that's gone now.

At least i know im not the only one the breathing techniques dont work on. Whenever i try to concentrate on my breathing it seems to make it worse. I can never seem to get a proper breath, it always seems forced.

Hope this panic attacks clear up soon.

Same here. I was a right drifter afterall.

Here's to making some new pals! *raises glass of diet cola*

Will drink to that :)

Will drink to that :)

*clinks glass*

• Advertisement

At least i know im not the only one the breathing techniques dont work on. Whenever i try to concentrate on my breathing it seems to make it worse. I can never seem to get a proper breath, it always seems forced.

Hope this panic attacks clear up soon.

Sometimes the breathing techniques are tough alright.

Another one I was told about is to put on a song you like and mouth/sing the words. Singing is all about controlled breath plus your mind is occupied and concentrating.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement