Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

Good luck with work Grem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

stinkle wrote: »
    The Sunday blues is a pain alright :( Id say the weather hasnt helped much, especially this time of year.

I dunno. My mood seems to be largely independent of the weather thankfully. That being said, it would have been nice to get out for a walk or something here today.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I think there will be a lot of tea tonight somehow. Can't shake this lethargic feeling at all.

I think there will be a lot of tea tonight somehow. Can't shake this lethargic feeling at all.

*hugs* Hope things go ok there Grem.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭alaskayoung

So so anxious today. Feel so tense and just want to claw my skin off. Not even sure exactly what I'm worrying about. Something to do with time. Hours gone, hours left, days, weeks, months, wasting time, wishing it away, dreading it.. Agh.

Started Cymbalta instead of Effexor on Friday and even after a single dose was starting to feel pretty manic. Racing thoughts, so agitated and hyperactive. Horrible feeling. I should really stop, don't want it to escalate further but I'm so tired of switching I just really want it to work out. Don't know what's left? No SSRI's, SNRI's or Tricyclics. Feel so weird. So much energy in all my muscles and it's making me feel kind of panicky.

• Advertisement

So so anxious today. Feel so tense and just want to claw my skin off. Not even sure exactly what I'm worrying about. Something to do with time. Hours gone, hours left, days, weeks, months, wasting time, wishing it away, dreading it.. Agh.

Started Cymbalta instead of Effexor on Friday and even after a single dose was starting to feel pretty manic. Racing thoughts, so agitated and hyperactive. Horrible feeling. I should really stop, don't want it to escalate further but I'm so tired of switching I just really want it to work out. Don't know what's left? No SSRI's, SNRI's or Tricyclics. Feel so weird. So much energy in all my muscles and it's making me feel kind of panicky.

Sorry to hear that Alaska. Is there anything you can do to de-stress there?

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭alaskayoung

Sorry to hear that Alaska. Is there anything you can do to de-stress there?

Thanks Hugo. I don't know, just really want today to be over so I can go to work the next few days. Can't stand being at home for long periods. Would walk my dog but the weather's terrible. Anxiety giving me really bad self harm urges but I've been clean for the longest time in quite awhile, I don't wanna break it. So tempting though because it does help as bad as that sounds. Maybe make a cup of tea and read for awhile...

Thanks Hugo. I don't know, just really want today to be over so I can go to work the next few days. Can't stand being at home for long periods. Would walk my dog but the weather's terrible. Anxiety giving me really bad self harm urges but I've been clean for the longest time in quite awhile, I don't wanna break it. So tempting though because it does help as bad as that sounds. Maybe make a cup of tea and read for awhile...

I'm the opposite: I don't want tomorrow to come! lol

You're doing great with the long bout of resisting the self-harm urges. Try to keep your time score in mind. My heart goes out to you for that, I know you say it helps but it's so destructive to you too though.

Would ordering in some grub help at all? Sorry if that sounds stupid. I do it when I'm low or whatever here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

I found the cymbalta the strongest of all the antidepressants i was on. It should really help with keeping your moods up but hopefully not too much. I just had trouble sleeping with it. I hope those feelings settle down for you AY.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭scrimshanker

Hang in there. I know you can. You're an incredibly strong person, you've achieved a lot already despite being so young and facing really difficult struggles. You can get through tonight.

I got an adult colouring book recently to distract and calm myself when I'm agitated cos I can't get the hang of mindfulness meditation. Is there something like that you could do? Do you like crafts?

There's no harm going out in the rain btw! Sometimes it's cathartic to walk out in the wild

• Advertisement

mg1982 wrote: »
    I found the cymbalta the strongest of all the antidepressants i was on. It should really help with keeping your moods up but hopefully not too much. I just had trouble sleeping with it. I hope those feelings settle down for you AY.

My psychiatrist seems to be running out of what meds to put me on anytime a change is warranted. Just because I was on one about 6 or 7 years ago in different circumstances, it seems that it's then off the table forever. It's frustrating because they're basically just shrugging their shoulders and saying "I dunno!" :mad: Also, they're pussyfooting about lowering doses when I complain about getting confused easily and having a decreased comprehension etc. Public sucks at times.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Medicine wise I found that combinations work better for me than one drug alone which never seems to settle me..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

I should be happy that I'm starting a new job and chapter in my life but I just feel like the new job is a jail sentence with no end in sight and I don't know why.

What is wrong with me?

Medicine wise I found that combinations work better for me than one drug alone which never seems to settle me..

I've been on combinations for a couple years now I think. They've made so many tweaks to them in that time. What bugs me though is that they seem so reluctant to lower doses of some of the meds, or even try one of the ones I was on previously. The whole thing just pisses me off at times. Sorry for ranting.
    veganrun wrote: »
    I should be happy that I'm starting a new job and chapter in my life but I just feel like the new job is a jail sentence with no end in sight and I don't know why.

What is wrong with me?

We all feel like that at times, VR. Do you feel like you're just "settling" with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

We all feel like that at times, VR. Do you feel like you're just "settling" with it?

I don't think so. Guess I will just have to try it out.

veganrun wrote: »
    I don't think so. Guess I will just have to try it out.

It's ok to feel strange when starting a new job. I'd say those feelings will fade when you get in there though. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

I hate having so little energy. I don't even know what causes it.

It's days like these, that I'm so grateful I have a dog. He actually makes my life better in every way. Dogs are far easier to deal with than people.

My dog has been through the most far reaching of the extents of misery and numbness I've been through without judgement. I owe her more than I can repay.

My dog has been through the most far reaching of the extents of misery and numbness I've been through without judgement. I owe her more than I can repay.

That's beautiful.

I'd love a little doggy of my own.

My dog is my best friend. No matter what mood im in shes always by my side. Its called unconditional love i guess.

• Advertisement

A heap of paranoia building here.. Feeling very uncomfortable with it..

A heap of paranoia building here.. Feeling very uncomfortable with it..

Sorry to hear that G. Anything in particular causing it or is it just out of the blue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

greenfrogs wrote: »
    I hate having so little energy. I don't even know what causes it.

It's days like these, that I'm so grateful I have a dog. He actually makes my life better in every way. Dogs are far easier to deal with than people.

I rescued a dog from Charlemont bridge on Wednesday evening around 3am. Got home around 4am but I was still out walking the dog at 8am. Disappointingly(for me), the owner was found and they were re-united that day.

I only had him for about 12 hours max but the house felt a little empty without him.

I'd love to get my own dog but when Im working, im out of the house for 9+ hours and it wouldnt be fair on him or her. Plus business trips where I could be away for a week. The kindest, least selfish thing is for me not to have one.

The kindest, most selfish thing for me to do is get one. I'm going with option 1 for now.

It's just happening Hugo.. Not much to start it that I can think of..

Syklops, I'm very lucky to have a dog and a decent sitter for her too. Not easy though.. Any other pet you'd consider?.

Bit of heightened anxiety about the start of the working week today. :-/

If you get today over you hugo it might get easier. Hope it goes smoothly for you.

Hang in there Hugo.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭NicoleW85

Heya, back from a weekend of camping at a car show in the north. Really enjoyed it despite the weather. Feeling anxious and paranoid today about my 'best' friend - she hasn't spoken to me in a week and when I texted her today I just got "I'm fine, just been busy with the kids" - I just have an uneasy feeling that I have upset her and don't know how...
    I hope you're all getting through today without too much anxiety

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Kaylami

Waiting to see the gp really brings out the anxiety. What if she won't listen?
    What if she dismisses my concerns?

That's tough Nicole. Although there does be some weeks I'm genuinely busy the kids that I would forget to text back. Try not to worry to much ( easier said than done I know )

• Advertisement

NicoleW85 wrote: »
    Heya, back from a weekend of camping at a car show in the north. Really enjoyed it despite the weather. Feeling anxious and paranoid today about my 'best' friend - she hasn't spoken to me in a week and when I texted her today I just got "I'm fine, just been busy with the kids" - I just have an uneasy feeling that I have upset her and don't know how...
    I hope you're all getting through today without too much anxiety

Best thing you can do about your friend is do nothing differently. You've already checked in that she's okay, she said she's fine. Give her a little bit of space for a couple of days and then return to how you'd normally interact.

Had my interview at the social welfare office, was grand. Had myself all worked up over nothing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement