Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

I had an interview today. I arrived early for once and decided to leave without doing the interview. But, then I turned round and came back to do the interview. I'm glad I did it. Anxiety is such a killer. I was so close to not doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

First day in the new job over. It went ok but I had an awful dose of panic before getting the train to work and had to take something for it.

The place seems fine and the people seem ok but I've no idea yet if I'm going to like it or not. I didn't hate it, I didn't love it, I kind of just nothinged it.

Doesn't help that I keep thinking of another job I got offered and turned down as I had already accepted this one. The other one is much closer to home and I had a feeling I'd have had less anxiety starting there today instead of the job I did start.

Anyway, will give it a while and see how it goes.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Well done on overcoming the fear Veganrun, was thinking about you this morning hoping you would manage.. In your sector there's always a few options, give this one a whirl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭scrimshanker

Bout of the anxious blues this evening. I know what's brought it on but nothing I can do about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

Well done on overcoming the fear Veganrun, was thinking about you this morning hoping you would manage.. In your sector there's always a few options, give this one a whirl.

Thanks.

I barely slept last night. Woke at 2am, feeling a bit anxious, took something to help relax me and let me get some sleep. It kind of worked but then around 6am I felt like I was losing my mind and going to have some sort of breakdown. I was sitting here going "No, can't do it, can't do it, can't do it". Somehow shook it off eventually and went on my way, but needed something to calm me down before I got the train.

After that, the rest of the day was ok.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Hugs Scrim. Some people think knowing the root cause takes the anxiety out of it a bit. I don't agree in a lot a cases.

Vegan, first days in new places are daunting for a huge amount of people.. You got through, that's already a good day's work done..

I'm thinking of quitting meds. Might give me the courage to either get better or end it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Foggy.nelson

Hope everyone is doing well.. New job location(I work construction so move alot) seems to have given me a new confidence things that were on my mind not bringing me down as much. The only fear is that negative thoughts will creep back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

I'm thinking of quitting meds. Might give me the courage to either get better or end it.

Whats bringing you to that conclusion scrim. Is it that the you feel the meds arent helping you?

mg1982 wrote: »
    Whats bringing you to that conclusion scrim. Is it that the you feel the meds arent helping you?

Yeah basically. No better off taking them. Already screwed my life up so what the hell. Why do things by half measures, do it properly if you're going to do it at all...

• Advertisement

Yeah basically. No better off taking them. Already screwed my life up so what the hell. Why do things by half measures, do it properly if you're going to do it at all...

Scrim, don't make any decisions tonight. You always need to sit with any major decision for 24 hours or so before you can be in anyway sure.. Especially when it's coming to meds and things.. Some can be potentially quite harmful to stop cold turkey.. Please speak to a doc, even not your own if needs be.. I'm not trying to pressure I just hope for no sudden decisions is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Scrim, don't make any decisions tonight. You always need to sit with any major decision for 24 hours or so before you can be in anyway sure.. Especially when it's coming to meds and things.. Some can be potentially quite harmful to stop cold turkey.. Please speak to a doc, even not your own if needs be.. I'm not trying to pressure I just hope for no sudden decisions is all.

+1 on Grem's advice there Scrim.

Maybe talk out here with us why you're thinking that.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭alaskayoung

Thanks guys for the advice and encouragement last night. Ended up just curling up in a ball in my duvet with a cup of tea feeling sorry for myself and watched some youtube until I could go to sleep :rolleyes: Kinda proud of myself that I resisted the selfharm urges because a few weeks ago that definitely wouldn't have happened. I guess even though it was a bad day, that's still a little bit of progress.

I'm sorry you're having a bad night Scrim. Don't give up hope now. Like you said to me, you too are a strong person and you can get through this. The fact that you've made it this far proves it. If the meds aren't harming you in any way I'd just stay on them and see what happens but it's completely your decision. Maybe just try to get through tonight and see how you feel in the morning. Thinking of you.

Thanks guys for the advice and encouragement last night. Ended up just curling up in a ball in my duvet with a cup of tea feeling sorry for myself and watched some youtube until I could go to sleep :rolleyes: Kinda proud of myself that I resisted the selfharm urges because a few weeks ago that definitely wouldn't have happened. I guess even though it was a bad day, that's still a little bit of progress.

Well done on not self-harming, Alaska. It definitely is something to be proud of. I'm sure it took a lot of determination.

Hope everyone is doing well.. New job location(I work construction so move alot) seems to have given me a new confidence things that were on my mind not bringing me down as much. The only fear is that negative thoughts will creep back

Good to hear your doing well there mate. The change of scene seems to have helped and hopefully it stays that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭freudiangirl

Struggling a lot. Totally overwhelmed.Meant to be going home on Wednesday for week but worry that I will harm myself if I do.
    Am thinking of changing my consultant as he seems to be triggering behaviour in me like self harm and an awful loss of appetite.
    I honestly cannot see the the point of being on this earth if I am in this much emotional pain.

I feel so low right. I cannot tolerate noise people smells etc.....

Existing is a exhausting process.

Struggling a lot. Totally overwhelmed.Meant to be going home on Wednesday for week but worry that I will harm myself if I do.
    Am thinking of changing my consultant as he seems to be triggering behaviour in me like self harm and an awful loss of appetite.
    I honestly cannot see the the point of being on this earth if I am in this much emotional pain.

*hugs* Sorry to hear that you're low there, FreudianGirl. Has anything happened lately that has made you feel like this?

Unfortunately there is no one size fits all when dealing with mental health. It took me from July last year to March this year to feel like I was getting better. Our lives aren't screwed up. Just because our past and present are complicated doesn't mean our future won't be good. There is a future for us all. We will get through this. We will be stronger and wiser for it as well.

greenfrogs wrote: »
    Unfortunately there is no one size fits all when dealing with mental health. It took me from July last year to March this year to feel like I was getting better. Our lives aren't screwed up. Just because our past and present are complicated doesn't mean our future won't be good. There is a future for us all. We will get through this. We will be stronger and wiser for it as well.

Fingers crossed for us all.

Fingers crossed for us all.

+1

I hope this gets better

• Advertisement

+1

I hope this gets better

It will. It might take some time and self-discovery though. I'm sure that it is a challenge that we can all face up to and complete.

+1

I hope this gets better

Where there is hope, there is life.

I love this saying because I've have been down so many times in my life and, the only thing that kept me going was the hope that things would improve. It has taken 10 years for my life to show signs of improvement. I still can't believe the amount of time that has been taken from my life. Now things aren't perfect. They never will be. Things are more manageable. I see a future and I see a place for me in the world.

greenfrogs wrote: »
    Where there is hope, there is life.

I love this saying because I've have been down so many times in my life and, the only thing that kept me going was the hope that things would improve. It has taken 10 years for my life to show signs of improvement. I still can't believe the amount of time that has been taken from my life. Now things aren't perfect. They never will be. Things are more manageable. I see a future and I see a place for me in the world.

To be able to see light at the end of the tunnel is an important thing and is something to strive for. At this moment though im not seeing it too well but hopefully its still there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Foggy.nelson

Hope you feel better today. I know it's hard and exhausting. Maybe a change of consultant or talking about how you feel with current consultant will help

Going to be one of those days I'd say...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭freudiangirl

Hope you feel better today. I know it's hard and exhausting. Maybe a change of consultant or talking about how you feel with current consultant will help

It will take 2 weeks or more to change consultant so why bother.
    I honestly think I won't make it back to hospital when I go home.
    Feeling so hopeless.

I honestly cannot see a way out of this.
    It's not worth it.

It will take 2 weeks or more to change consultant so why bother.
    I honestly think I won't make it back to hospital when I go home.
    Feeling so hopeless.

I honestly cannot see a way out of this.
    It's not worth it.

Im very sorry to hear your feeling like this. Just keep posting on here cos even talking about how your feeling sometimes help.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭NicoleW85

I'm struggling with binge eating again. I thought I had it under control up until about 4 months ago, then I fell off the wagon big time. I know this is an accumulation of things - mainly boredom due to my business failing and tiredness due to my pernicious Anaemia. I have zero motivation to do what I know I need to do and its frustrating the life out of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

New poster to this thread but Ive had bad anxiety for a year now and last Monday I had a huge anxiety attack at 2 in the morning, it was the final straw, my job provide a good service run by VHI and ill be meeting a Therapist within 2 weeks to sort it out, so hope to keep you all updated in the meantime and try help out with others if I can :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭NicoleW85

Welcome! Best of luck with the therapist and hopefully you get the proper help you need to cope with your anxiety. Loads of support here too :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement