Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

Thanks G - I appreciate it!

It's such a burden that has been lifted off me. I'm no longer living in fear, and it seems that the only possible way is up from here. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

That's why I had to reply. It's the most encouraging post I've seen in a while. If I knew you I'd be hugging you! I'm delighted for you. Here's to the journey forward. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

That is such good news This little piggy. It's amazing how focused and positive you are. You are doing the best for you and your son.

Sometimes the fear of a person leaving our lives can be overwhelming. However, when it happens it is actually a relief.

Ya my consultant insists on weeks out when you are in a certain length of time.
    I just talked to a nurse there, she wants me to speak to my team tomorrow but I honestly do not have the mental energy to do this on top of my course and having to travel back to cork. I find my course triggering enough without stress of travelling and having to face the public when you are already shaky.

I wrote my letter to Prof.lucey about changing consultant so will deliver it in the morning and see what happens.
    It's just pure stress anxiety urges etc right now. I am.not able

Considering every person is different, I think it's silly to insist on home periods. Especially when you have a long distance to go. Will that nurse be on duty tomorrow. Perhaps she could be there when you talk to the consultant. She could provide some moral support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭freudiangirl

greenfrogs wrote: »
    Considering every person is different, I think it's silly to insist on home periods. Especially when you have a long distance to go. Will that nurse be on duty tomorrow. Perhaps she could be there when you talk to the consultant. She could provide some moral support.

Thanks again everybody.
    It's great that you are being so positive Mocha.
    Keep texting me if you need to.
    The nurse unfortunately won't be on as she is on nights.
    Waiting to see doctor now.
    I have given my request to change consultants to the medical director of St pats so will see what he comes back with.
    Here's hoping am expecting the worst to be totally honest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭scrimshanker

Thanks again everybody.
    It's great that you are being so positive Mocha.
    Keep texting me if you need to.
    The nurse unfortunately won't be on as she is on nights.
    Waiting to see doctor now.
    I have given my request to change consultants to the medical director of St pats so will see what he comes back with.
    Here's hoping am expecting the worst to be totally honest.

Good luck fg, I think if you tell them directly that you are a risk to yourself if you go home it'd be a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Welcome to the thread, ISDP.

We have the the same VHI service. I've been meaning to get in contact for a couple of months now but I've been putting it off. I must do it soon though.

Glad to hear that you did get in contact though. Hopefully it'll help you out. :)

I'm the same Alaska. I view food feasts as a reward and, even worse, a pick me up when times aren't going well. That's far from a healthy habit.

1st session is Friday morning ill let you know how it goes, having a really good week anxiety wise so hopefully last weeks bad turn was the start of the end :)

I saw doctors they think I shouldn't go.
    But maybe next week. I was asked would I be ready next week.
    I then explained the traits of my diagnosis to them regarding severe emotional instability and impulsivity.
    I asked them did they know how they would feel in the morning now.

I was probably being cheeky but I needed to get point across

You know yourself best freudiangirl. I don't think you were being cheeky, you were just trying to get them to understand things from your point of view. Well done on talking to the doctors. That can be quite intimidating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭scrimshanker

Well done fg, strong of you and well done on looking out for your health and wellbeing. A very difficult thing to do at times, sometimes it's much easier to give up and go with the flow. It takes real strength to stand up and say that you can't go along with something.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Well done Freudiangirl, delighted you managed to communicate that to them.. Just finished dbt so I'm a little rattled but said I'd check in.. Off to stare at a pint now catch you all later.

It always amazes me Grem how hard you work at improving your life whilst holding down a job. It's very admirable. Enjoy your pint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

greenfrogs wrote: »
    It always amazes me Grem how hard you work at improving your life whilst holding down a job. It's very admirable. Enjoy your pint.

+1 Grem. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

Well done Freudiangirl, delighted you managed to communicate that to them.. Just finished dbt so I'm a little rattled but said I'd check in.. Off to stare at a pint now catch you all later.

So you worked a night shift and then did the dbt course. If that was me you would be scraping me off the floor.

Enjoy the pint.
    Am at my dbt now too.
    I'm exhausted from the homework and still have skills session to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Foggy.nelson

I then explained the traits of my diagnosis to them regarding severe emotional instability and impulsivity.

Well done, glad it went well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

I've had to use that line on people myself in the past. It's not cheeky if it's true! It's ridiculous how some people, especially if they're professionals who work with vulnerable people, can be so shortsighted.

I really think you can read all you like about an illness but you can never truly understand it until you experience it. I do agree that it was short sighted to insist on people leaving the hospital for a break. Every person is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭teadrinker96

hey so does anyone know which is more beneficial for depression and anxiety -psychotherapy or just seeing a psychologist, or are they the same things? My doctor didn't really explain the difference haha he just basically said that the anti-ds weren't going to be enough and I should get help with a local psychologist or psychotherapist ,even though I though you were meant to see a psychiatrist about this sort of thing

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭alaskayoung

Feel like crap after meeting my psychiatric nurse today. Spent most of the time grilling me on my weight loss and just speaking to me about it in such a condescending manner. I'm trying really hard. I don't need to listen to her lecture me about food. She says the most triggering things to me as well. I know she means well but I'm well aware of what's going on and making me feel like an incompetent little child is so unhelpful. I really get nothing out of meeting her every week.

I miss my psychologist so much. Between my holidays and hers it's been almost a month since I've seen her and I'm used to seeing her every week. I constantly worry over how attached to her I feel. The idea of losing her scares the life out of me and I feel like that's wrong. I find myself panicking sometimes over what would happen if she left her job or transferred me or died and it puts me on the verge of tears. I feel like if I ever got to the point where she was considering discharge I'd be so tempted to sabotage myself just so she wouldn't leave me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭NicoleW85

Does anyone know If you can admit yourself into a psychiatric hospital if your binge eating is spiralling out of control yet again? Serious self destruct mode and it's scaring me - I know I must be doing a load of damage internally (there's more to it than just the binge eating)

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭alaskayoung

NicoleW85 wrote: »
    Does anyone know If you can admit yourself into a psychiatric hospital if your binge eating is spiralling out of control yet again? Serious self destruct mode and it's scaring me - I know I must be doing a load of damage internally (there's more to it than just the binge eating)

I know St. Pats have an inpatient eating disorder programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭NicoleW85

Ah you're a gem. Thanks so much. I have my next appt with my psych next week and will ask for advice on this. It's make or break time...

NicoleW85 wrote: »
    Ah you're a gem. Thanks so much. I have my next appt with my psych next week and will ask for advice on this. It's make or break time...

St pats have an eating disorder programme or edp as it's known here.

Thanks for all your replies.
    I have to see consultant tomorrow and.dreadimg it.
    I have been straight up with him regarding my request for change of consultant.
    But he is a smarmy git at the best of times tbh.

Took meds early tonight. Wrecked from emotion of everything tbh. Might head I to town early as need a few.bits clothes wise...its so awkward depending on the laundry service here.

Still fairly anxious chest hurts like he'll.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

I kinda knew from Monday this was going to be a bad week. Definitely a depression week. Work or more so Co workers are getting to me the most. Half contemplated on going back to counsellor and to the doc get a sick letter take a few days off go to donegal or something and just relax for four days no laptop little TV just the phone and car drive around abit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Jhcx wrote: »
    I kinda knew from Monday this was going to be a bad week. Definitely a depression week. Work or more so Co workers are getting to me the most. Half contemplated on going back to counsellor and to the doc get a sick letter take a few days off go to donegal or something and just relax for four days no laptop little TV just the phone and car drive around abit.

Sorry to hear that Jhcx. What's going on in work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

Took some diazepam tonight. The last few weeks the anxiety has been building and building and i can barely function now with it. Might call my community mental health nurse to discuss what are my options. I have Lyrica in mind as it worked well before.

Feel like crap after meeting my psychiatric nurse today. Spent most of the time grilling me on my weight loss and just speaking to me about it in such a condescending manner. I'm trying really hard. I don't need to listen to her lecture me about food. She says the most triggering things to me as well. I know she means well but I'm well aware of what's going on and making me feel like an incompetent little child is so unhelpful. I really get nothing out of meeting her every week.

I miss my psychologist so much. Between my holidays and hers it's been almost a month since I've seen her and I'm used to seeing her every week. I constantly worry over how attached to her I feel. The idea of losing her scares the life out of me and I feel like that's wrong. I find myself panicking sometimes over what would happen if she left her job or transferred me or died and it puts me on the verge of tears. I feel like if I ever got to the point where she was considering discharge I'd be so tempted to sabotage myself just so she wouldn't leave me.

That's a shame that the psychiatric nurse is making you feel worse. Some people are not very good at their jobs. When will you see the psychologist again?

My therapist told me last week about winding up my cbt. I had an interview on Monday. At the back of mind, I was thinking that if I didn't go to this interview then the therapist wouldn't discharge me. In the end I did go because I knew it was in my best interests. However there were times when I was very worried in case my doctor would change practise and I would be left with a different doctor. It's a legitimate concern. I do consider myself quite attached to my therapist but, as I get better I have found I am less dependent on her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

mg1982 wrote: »
    You have to find someone that does it and they are rare enough. Theres nothing really online where it teaches you.

You can't learn TM from online. Only from a qualified trained TM teacher. There are a number of them around Ireland.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement