Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

carzony wrote: »
    The thought of leaving the house just makes me tired. I'd happily stay here for weeks on end if possible atm..

Luckily I have no real commitments for the next week or so.

That's rough man. Sorry to hear that it's like that there.

Do you have a garden there that you could at least get some fresh out in?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

That's rough man. Sorry to hear that it's like that there.

Do you have a garden there that you could at least get some fresh out in?

I just wanna be in bed most of the time. Might be a good idea to sit out the garden for a while though.

I love sleep, It kinda gets me away from my problems for a while. I was hoping to start a new job soon, Really don't see how i'll cope.

I just wanna be in bed most of the time. Might be a good idea to sit out the garden for a while though.

I love sleep, It kinda gets me away from my problems for a while. I was hoping to start a new job soon, Really don't see how i'll cope.

Try not to worry about that just yet C, easier said than done I know. One thing at a time. But on that subject, I think you will be well able for it. You come across as a smart chap on here and I'm sure that'll definitely go in your favour out in the working world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭freudiangirl

greenfrogs wrote: »
    I know it is not the same thing but there were times where I knew I had to be around other people as I couldn't trust myself in a room on my own. I have never self-harmed so my situation is different. But I knew I would engage in my behaviour which could be obsessively stalking someone online, sending them repeated messages, phonecalls, overthinking everything. It's different from self harm but I felt like I had lost my self control. I was damaging myself emotionally rather than physically. Things will get easier. Sometimes it will feel impossible but the need to do it will reduce. You will learn the skills to know what sets you off and to try other coping mechanisms.

Thing is I have asked to be moved to a shared room rather than my own.... and I can't according to staff. Think I will just stay in tv area for night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

Maybe leave your door open if you stay in your room.

As well as feeling down I have a pounding headache. I have therapy tomorrow. I think I will cry my way through it. I hate being like this. I feel I bring my whole family down with me. But I am ignoring them because I think I will snap at them for the smallest things.

• Advertisement

Try not to worry about that just yet C, easier said than done I know. One thing at a time. But on that subject, I think you will be well able for it. You come across as a smart chap on here and I'm sure that'll definitely go in your favour out in the working world.

I was talking more about my anxiety issues than anything else. The way things are i'm not sure what my attendance would be like in a job. I feel very stressed most of the time as it is.

I'm trying not to let it stop me but it's hard to do.

I was talking more about my anxiety issues than anything else. The way things are i'm not sure what my attendance would be like in a job. I feel very stressed most of the time as it is.

I'm trying not to let it stop me but it's hard to do.

I can relate, I'm anxious as hell all of the time in work. I'm half expecting it all to come crumbling down but I'm trying to fight it as best as I can.

I can relate, I'm anxious as hell all of the time in work. I'm half expecting it all to come crumbling down but I'm trying to fight it as best as I can.

I read that people with extreme anxiety are entitled to recieve sick or disability allowances, even though I feel i'd have a good case and might even be successful i'd hate to let it beat me like that..

I read that people with extreme anxiety are entitled to recieve sick or disability allowances, even though I feel i'd have a good case and might even be successful i'd hate to let it beat me like that..

I tried to get onto the disability a few years back. Got shot down for it unfortunately. It might just have been due to it being during the recession. Perhaps maybe they won't be as strict for people these days.

I tried to get onto the disability a few years back. Got shot down for it unfortunately. It might just have been due to it being during the recession. Perhaps maybe they won't be as strict for people these days.

It's well known that they reject you twice unless you have a very obvious disability.

Apparently the third appeal is usually when they accept you.

• Advertisement

I was on illness benefit for nearly a year. Now I am looking for work. Honestly being signed off work was one of the key things that aided my recovery. My doctor and therapists used tell me that my job was to get better. I mean if you are signed off work then getting better becomes your work. You don't sign off and give up on life.

It's well known that they reject you twice unless you have a very obvious disability.

I didn't bother. I was very disillusioned with the SW. I just signed off illness benefit and returned to work. It was a bit of a disaster to be honest, resulting in me taking a month's leave again after a few months being back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

Surely they have to go by the doctor's opinion on whether you're unfit for work? I mean they're meant to be the medical professional, not the admin guy ticking the boxes in the social welfare offices?

I've no experience with disability benefit, but I've been off work on illness benefit the last couple of months. Never had an issue, once I sent in the certs. Hoping to get back to work within the next couple of weeks.

I had been genuinely unfit for work, in that no matter how hard I tried, I was unable to fulfil my role to the best of my ability (or even to a reasonable standard.) And of course that knocked my confidence even more, until it ended up at rock bottom. My mental health was only on a downward slope as long as I stayed in a job where I was unable to function. It's only now it's starting to build up and gain some momentum in a positive direction again.

Surely they have to go by the doctor's opinion on whether you're unfit for work? I mean they're meant to be the medical professional, not the admin guy ticking the boxes in the social welfare offices?

The doctor I saw gave me literally 3 or 4 minutes attention. Confirmed my name and details, took my blood pressure and heartbeat. That was it pretty much. No asking me how I'm feeling or how I'm coping etc. Horrible I must say.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

The social welfare have a medical referee system, it's a patchy service to say the least. When my appointment came up some years ago i was just after picking up my month's supply from pharmacy, two carrier bags full of pills, patches and cream. I was unable to take my jacket off and couldn't sit fully on the chair. The doc and nurse asked name, date of birth, took temperature (wtaf) blood pressure and heart rate, i attempted to give them my script, thinking it was relevant, however i was pretty much pushed out of the room.. Now i know that was an extreme case but it still shows how standards are all over the shop..

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭alaskayoung

mg1982 wrote: »
    Thats good news AY. So glad you found a doc who listened. Did he reduce the dose of cymbalta as well.

Yeah was on 30mg twice daily and he told me to only take my morning dose. He wanted me off it completely but the withdrawal was already setting in as I had skipped it the night before so just said to try and counteract its effects with Seroquel and Valium. Hate feeling so drugged but it's still better than the crippling anxiety. Will be able to speak to my pdoc tomorrow and get things sorted out properly though so only have to get through tonight really.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Delighted for you Alaska, even getting it together to go to doc is more than I am able for at times. I am very grateful for seroquel, it's really helped stabilise things a lot. How are you now?

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭alaskayoung

Delighted for you Alaska, even getting it together to go to doc is more than I am able for at times. I am very grateful for seroquel, it's really helped stabilise things a lot. How are you now?

Thanks so much Grem, you're so kind. Yes, Seroquel is a lifesaver, even managed to get a few hours sleep a little while ago so feeling more human! I'll be fine now, can think straight again now that the meds have the anxiety under control. It's crazy how much it affects your thinking. Hopefully get some more sleep tonight and I'll be able to talk to my team then in the morning. Work at 6am tomorrow though which I'm dreading now! :rolleyes:

I'm just in work now myself and trying not to give the place bad associations after the trouble that happened with two friends Friday night. I'll get there though.. I'm here all night for chat if not want, via pm either ok?. All everyone here wants is the best for each other.

Work at 6am tomorrow though which I'm dreading now! :rolleyes:

I'm in at the same time, Alaska. After having a week of holidays off, the Sunday night blues are extremely strong here presently. Regardless, I'll try to send you some good vibes tonight through to the morning. :)
    I'm just in work now myself and trying not to give the place bad associations after the trouble that happened with two friends Friday night. I'll get there though.. I'm here all night for chat if not want, via pm either ok?. All everyone here wants is the best for each other.

Nicely said as always Grem. We'd be lost without you! x :)

Hope things go ok there for you tonight.

• Advertisement

Gosh I wouldn't consider myself too well spoken Hugo but thanks.. All I really want is to keep us all going.

Gosh I wouldn't consider myself too well spoken Hugo but thanks.. All I really want is to keep us all going.

No back talking me, Grem! :mad: :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

I think in my head I've made a bit of progress and I kind of don't care if they let me go and I kind of feel like I'm hoping they do, it might be a bit of relief.

I don't hate the place, and I was starting to like it but I feel a bit like my position is a little untenable now. Will see what happens. One of the other jobs I turned down has been filled, unsurprisingly.

I've made my mind up that I'm not travelling as they want me to so its up to them how they want to handle it. It was their mistake, not mine.

Well done on making a decision. I find that is the hardest part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭scrimshanker

Good weekend, mood gone to nothing. Not even down, just nothing. Concentration gone. Stink from spending the day doing physical activity but can't quite get to the shower. Gross.

Weekend was good, what's happening right now is temporary, it will pass and if you need to talk I'll be here..

At least you got some exercise. Go you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭freudiangirl

Sick to death of it all.
    My arm still throbbing no sign of sleep kicking in.

Just do not want to go into my room tonight as no matter how hard I try I can't stop until I see blood.

I am so fed up of it all. I have to start all over again with regards to everything and don't think I can.

Even with my room open, I still manage to hurt myself.
    I don't even think there is any point in talking as people are just dismissing it.

I used to never talk and now I am and no one will help me no matter how much I try.

I don't why it is such a big deal for me to talk when no one is listening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭scrimshanker

Fg, can you bring your blanket to a couch and try sleep there?

• Advertisement

Oh Freudiangirl, what a rough place to be mentally, I do hope the morning will be kind to you. I'm here for the night for company even if it's just online..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement