Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

Got my LC results, devastated is not even the word. Have slim to no chance of going to college and my depression is at the lowest low. I don't know what to do. All my friends are out celebrating but I've achieved nothing so I'm at home.
    Why do I even try?

I remember clearly getting my results when I finished secondary school, they were awful, all D's and E's. I was in tears. I was convinced my life was over and I would never get a decent job.

Since then I've had very good jobs with well known companies so its far from the end of the world. I went on to study computers in a vocational place, followed by doing a 2 year course at a college and got my first job after that.

Tbh, my education record has never been even mentioned and to a certain extent its irrelevant when I apply for work. Companies simply don't care (I work in IT).

I know it seems bad now, but eventually you will see it is just a minor blip.

In the meantime, focus on your health. It's something I need to do myself. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

My leaving cert results were pretty mediocre as well. I passed everything but i did do foundation level maths and irish. Its by no means the be all and end all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

All you need your LC for is getting into college. But there are many back doors. I didn't do great kinda regret it Now not putting the effort in. But I got into my course luckily. But Now I'm waiting to go back as a mature student to study a course I think I Will like far more this time and once that's completed that's all that Will matter. So don't worry you might just have to use a back door to go to college or get into a certain sector but it's upto you to choose and stay out of working in Mc Donald's. Don't let your results bring you down and affect your health. one my friends did worse than me but is now half way to qualifying as a Nurse again going back to college as a mature student. The lc is over Now is the part were you actually get to live your life and choose where you want to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭alaskayoung

Got my LC results, devastated is not even the word. Have slim to no chance of going to college and my depression is at the lowest low. I don't know what to do. All my friends are out celebrating but I've achieved nothing so I'm at home.
    Why do I even try?

I'm so sorry you're disappointed with your results, my heart goes out to you. Do you have a career guidance counselor you can speak to about your options? There are so many more ways than one to get into any course, don't lose hope. Like others have said, would you consider taking a year out to focus on yourself and take some time to think about what you would like to do? I was really upset last year too when I got my results and ended up taking the year out to focus on getting better. This year out is probably one of the best things that's ever happened to me and I'm actually so happy I didn't get my course because I would have gone in in the completely wrong frame of mind. It turned out to be a blessing in disguise. I never would have been able to see this at the time, the system has us all convinced there's only one perfect route to do something but everyone has their own unique journey. Even if you don't go to college this year, there are still so many other things that you can do with your time that are just as if not more valuable. After being in school your whole life, the freedom is amazing and you can become your own person and do the things you've wanted to do but never had time. It's okay to be disappointed but try to keep it in perspective for your own sake. When you think about it too, I know about a third of my year ended up dropping out of their college courses because they didn't like it, so you're actually already in a better situation then them because you have all this time to dedicate to something important to you. Again, I'm so sorry you're upset, I know how heartbreaking it is after the huge build up but I promise things aren't nearly as bad as they seem.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

if i were handing out advice to young people who have just done their leaving, it would be take a year out or even two and find yourself. so many are shoehorned into going to college because everyone else is going. as such they pick courses they think they will enjoy both in college and career wise. as youths we have this dream life planned, when reality is anything but.

one has to really self analyse and find out what they want to do in life. i would suggest going around to businesses and looking at how they work day to day and asking yourself whether you would enjoy that kind of work or not.

it must be said that school and college dont prepare you for the real world. in college you work alone either studying or doing projects. in the real world you are working with people for most jobs and one has to be able to handle that. some can, but some cant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

Sorry to hear you're disappointed ismisespartacus, but try and take heed of the advice people have given here. The LC is pretty much just a massive memory test in a lot of ways, and that type of assessment doesn't suit everyone. There's lots of different ways to get into the field you would like to work in the future - going straight into college is not the only way. There's lots of different PLC courses that can be used as stepping stones to college, or as a qualification in their own right. I know you're probably in bits right now, but everything will work itself out.

And regardless of your results, you fecking sat the leaving cert while struggling with your mental health. That is such a great achievement!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭freudiangirl

Sorry to hear you aren't happy with your L.C. results. Spartacus.

I got into university by doing a fetac course so there are other routes.

I am seriously struggling. I am needing to hurt more and more to get relief. It's tough. Yet again I hurt my hurt. Am dreading my shower in morning it will be agony.
    I hate that I need to do this to myself.
    I will have to ask nurses to dress my arm again tomorrow as I hurts for it to tip off anything.
    I hate this.
    I am not going home this weekend as my moods are all over place so need a bit of security.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭scrimshanker

Having thought I was cured yesterday, my anxiety is back to hell levels tonight. Yay. :(

Been trying to do an exercise from a cbt book I have for the last couple of days. You identify your personal risk factors, your environmental and social risk factors, and the things that maintain your anxiety. Seeing it all written out really shows that anyone who even had the environmental factors would be struggling, add in the personal risk factors and no wonder I have a problem. Kinda reassuring that actually my reaction isn't coming from nowhere. I, life and circumstances have basically set me up to fail. There are some things I can change over time, so I guess it doesn't have to be permanent.

• Advertisement

Been trying to do an exercise from a cbt book I have for the last couple of days. You identify your personal risk factors, your environmental and social risk factors, and the things that maintain your anxiety. Seeing it all written out really shows that anyone who even had the environmental factors would be struggling, add in the personal risk factors and no wonder I have a problem. Kinda reassuring that actually my reaction isn't coming from nowhere. I, life and circumstances have basically set me up to fail. There are some things I can change over time, so I guess it doesn't have to be permanent.

What's the book called

Thats actually a very good strategy scrim. Its something i might try myself. Im sure i will have loads to consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭is mise spartacus

Thanks for all the messages guys. It's just a massive blow to fail the one subject you worked so much on. It's like it was all for nothing. I'm so numb

What's the book called

Overcoming anxiety

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Things are a bit better for me but there are still lots of restrictions. I still struggle to go far from home, find walking very stressful and the thoughts of being in any new enviornment is frightening..

Still though, monday i couldnt leave the house so at least that's improved......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

Well things have improved. I talked to my manager and told him I was having some health concerns but didn't specify that it was anxiety / depressive issues. He was very understanding and said the travel is not a problem and asked if there was anything the company can do to help.

Its a massive relief and I'm a bit happier now. Although as luck would have it, another job I enquired about in another company has come up, it was a place that made me an offer recently.

I kind of wish I didn't do things in a panic but when my anxiety hits, I cant control things and I spiral quickly and badly.

Not sure what to do now. I'm much happier now that I don't need to travel and feel like I should stay here, but the other place is much closer to home and most likely more money.

How do I get myself in these situations? By panicking. Stupid anxiety!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,664 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

veganrun wrote: »
    Well things have improved. I talked to my manager and told him I was having some health concerns but didn't specify that it was anxiety / depressive issues. He was very understanding and said the travel is not a problem and asked if there was anything the company can do to help.
    QUOTE]

Well done on discussing it

veganrun wrote: »

Its a massive relief and I'm a bit happier now. Although as luck would have it, another job I enquired about in another company has come up, it was a place that made me an offer recently.

I kind of wish I didn't do things in a panic but when my anxiety hits, I cant control things and I spiral quickly and badly.

Not sure what to do now. I'm much happier now that I don't need to travel and feel like I should stay here, but the other place is much closer to home and most likely more money.

How do I get myself in these situations? By panicking. Stupid anxiety!

Its pretty much impossible to think straight when your in the grips of anxiety and reason and logic goes out the window. So i wouldnt be too hard on yourself. Glad things worked out with the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭alaskayoung

Tomorrow will be my first time going to my new DBT group, pretty nervous but interested to see what it's like :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Tomorrow will be my first time going to my new DBT group, pretty nervous but interested to see what it's like :)

It's nervous a bit, but it's so worth it if you commit and have a decent group around you.

• Advertisement

Hey all.

Only 3 sessions of dbt left.

Being discharged on 26/27th of august... still not out of crisis mode and returning to same situation with even less support than I had prior to coming in due to break up.
    Still feeling like all I want to do is self harm. I have been asked not to do it today but don't think I will last.

Feeling so lost and low.... Life is not getting any better so feel I am destined to constantly feel like this.

I thought being admitted would help. This was my last chance. I'm officially beyond help.
    I have to accept I am what I am.

Hey all.

Only 3 sessions of dbt left.

Being discharged on 26/27th of august... still not out of crisis mode and returning to same situation with even less support than I had prior to coming in due to break up.
    Still feeling like all I want to do is self harm. I have been asked not to do it today but don't think I will last.

Feeling so lost and low.... Life is not getting any better so feel I am destined to constantly feel like this.

I thought being admitted would help. This was my last chance. I'm officially beyond help.
    I have to accept I am what I am.

fg, my heart's going out to you. You've been trying so hard.

Right now there's a little over 3 hours left in the day. What can you do during that time that might get you over the line into tomorrow?

You say you're still in crisis mode. Can you think of anything other than self harming that would ground you a bit?

Feeling very disconnected from things the last while. Its like im just going through the motions. Everything feels kind of robotic. Im like a body without a soul right now just drifting aimlessly along.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Freudian, has your care after you leave been discussed, is there a definite strategy and a community nurse or someone similar?

Freudian, has your care after you leave been discussed, is there a definite strategy and a community nurse or someone similar?

No have to go back to my old psychiatric team in Cork but have no faith in her so refusing to go under her. I tried to change but was refused.

Going back to nothing.
    It's ridiculous.
    I haven't eaten since Sunday. Just feeling rotten and even the thought of food is making me feel ill. I now have an uncomfortable pain in stomach .kinda cramps.

I want to just give up and just not be anymore.

fg, my heart's going out to you. You've been trying so hard.

Right now there's a little over 3 hours left in the day. What can you do during that time that might get you over the line into tomorrow?

You say you're still in crisis mode. Can you think of anything other than self harming that would ground you a bit?

I have to put on my mask and talk to my son.
    Take meds ..hope they don't take 3 hours to kick in and sleep with the hope I never wake up.

I just can't do it anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

roquentin, I have deleted your post. You have been told before not to suggest a diagnosis here. You are not qualified to do so and it is not safe for the poster to whom you are making the suggestion. Infracted.

Well schizoid personality traits did come up in tests done by my psychologist. And i have discussed it with roquentin before as we both have similiar types of diagnosis. So no harm done.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭NicoleW85

Hi guys, I've been catching up on a few pages of posts that I've missed over the past while. My heart goes out to every single one of you who's been having a sh***y old time of it lately. Especially Freudiangirl... You're going through hell and it seems like the mental health system is failing you big time. Please hang in there. You are loved; your son needs his mammy. X
    I've been getting my eating disorder sorted out. It's not easy but I'm taking it one meal at a time. I've noticed my depression isn't as bad when I have my eating in order. Today I've been a moany cow but that's damn hormones!
    I wish there was something I could say to help you all x

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

mg1982 wrote: »
    Well schizoid personality traits did come up in tests done by my psychologist. And i have discussed it with roquentin before as we both have similiar types of diagnosis. So no harm done.

you might think 'no harm done'. But your symptoms may be reflective of what's happened/bedn disgnosed to date, or they may reflect something new, we don't know. And what about the next poster who reads the thread, identifies with the symptoms you posted, sees the "diagnosis" and assumes that's what they have, and perhaps avoid further investigation/treatment- the reality is that what you described could be attributable to many conditions, and to confidently state only one such condition is unhelpful and dangerous. There's a very strict 'no medical advice' rule on this site for a very good reason.

Anyway, end of discussion on this matter on-thread.
    Back on topic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement