Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭freudiangirl

Thanks.
    I would only be worried about upsetting people.
    I could do with having people I could text when I am in a state so need to work on that.
    I found this thread extremely helpful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭scrimshanker

Please dont' leave fg,

you're as welcome as anyone else in this thread.

You're welcome to text/message me if you're in a crisis, whtever help I can be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Stay FG!

You're very welcome here, and you add good points to the discussions too.

All viewpoints are welcome here, and accommodations can be made to keep everyone together.

Please come back fg :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

alaskayoung, if you have a problem with a post please report it rather than trying to deal with it on-thread.

Frueudian girl, please be aware that you are under no pressure to leave
    Everyone else, back on topic please.

• Advertisement

I can't unwind. Tonight could be sleepless. Debating the merits of half a xanax.. Big dose of oh no no no no no no here.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,242 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I'm at work and feel unconsolably sad for some strange reason.. Bizarre. Anyway I'm here for a chat if you need Scrim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

Hope the night goes ok for you there grem. Nights are hard on body and mind so your great to be able to do it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,242 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Thanks Mg, it's just an odd feeling because it's like grief which I'm finding bizarre.

Off to group this morning and still feeling pretty down so this will be fun. Tired too which makes me somewhat vulnerable.. Looking forward to bed already. Hope you guys do ok today I'll check in later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭NicoleW85

Oh I hope to god fg comes back! The last thing she needs right now is to feel isolated and unwanted! I know some of her posts were graphic, but that was her way of dealing with the situation! What I would like to suggest, in order for people like fg to feel like they can open up to us without fear of triggering others, is that if you are going to write a lot of details just write TRIGGER WARNING at the start of your post. That way, anyone who wants to skip it can.
    I hope you come back fg :)

Bloody rough today. Refused to participate a bit. Ahem..

Bloody rough today. Refused to participate a bit. Ahem..

Sorry to hear that, Grem. The tough night get to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭alaskayoung

I never asked anyone to leave. No idea why my post would be interpreted as that. I wasn't blaming anyone either, no need for an apology, just saying in general that certain comments can be triggering to people. Whatever.
    Sorry if people found that offensive.

Totally feel like everyone thinks I'm a bxtch now even though I never criticized anyone and said it in the nicest possible way. Today has already been terrible, this whole thing on top of it is making me cry. I don't need posts from mods addressing me and feel like I'm being ganged up on so I'm the one with the problem obviously, I'll just leave. Don't need any other stresses in my life it's tough enough as it is.. Thanks for all the support in the past everyone.

I never asked anyone to leave. No idea why my post would be interpreted as that. I wasn't blaming anyone either, no need for an apology, just saying in general that certain comments can be triggering to people. Whatever.
    Sorry if people found that offensive.
    Totally feel like everyone thinks I'm a bxtch now even though I never criticized anyone and said it in the nicest possible way. Today has already been terrible, this whole thing on top of it is making me cry. I don't need posts from mods addressing me and feel like I'm being ganged up on so I'm the one with the problem obviously, I'll just leave. Don't need any other stresses in my life it's tough enough as it is.. Thanks for all the support in the past everyone.

Hey Alaska,

I don't think that you should leave either. You're a part of our little community here, and you would be missed.

What happened was just one of those things that can happen from time to time on Boards, not just on this thread either. We can all learn for these events and keep on moving forward.

I don't think anyone here thinks that you're a bitch.

So, please stay.

Nobody on here thinks your a bitch AY. Dont feel you have to leave over this. Its just a misunderstanding as can easily happen on forums like this. Sorry to hear you had a bad day.

AY nobody wants you to leave. I don't want anyone to leave. I'm sorry if I've made anyone feel bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭timecurve12

AY I don't think you came across as horrible in your post, you were just being honest and I could tell you were trying to be sensitive. So I don't think anyone is upset with you or wants you to leave. Take care!

Guys I'm so sorry I've ruined the thread on everyone :( I think I'm gonna take a break from it for a while cos clearly I destroy everything I come into contact with. Please all come back.

So sorry everyone.

• Advertisement

Guys I'm so sorry I've ruined the thread on everyone :( I think I'm gonna take a break from it for a while cos clearly I destroy everything I come into contact with. Please all come back.

So sorry everyone.

You didn't ruin the thread at all. You also DO NOT destroy everything you come into contact with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

Okay guys, it looks like it's been a tough day or so in here. And that's okay. Conflict is a regular occurance in everyday life, and sometimes it's necessary. Everyone who posts and reads here brings something important to the thread - your kindness, a listening ear, and that bit of support that can make all the difference in our day.

Everything we write here brings up thoughts and feelings for everyone reading. Sometimes these might be good thoughts, and sometimes they can be bad. But we can't control how anyone else takes what we say. Sometimes things on here can be triggering for me, maybe because I'm having a bad day or haven't eaten or slept. But then I could read that post the next day and it doesn't affect me the same way, because on that day I could have done more self-care and generally felt better.

Freudiangirl, alaskayoung, scrimshanker and everyone else that posts here- you're all great and by posting here you are literally making a difference in someone else's life. If you need to take a break from here, that's cool, but we will be here if you need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭NicoleW85

Mods have jumped in twice in the past fortnight and threw a spanner in the works. I'm not sure if they suffer from any form of anxiety or depression themselves but targeting members on-thread is unfair. PM if you have an issue with them, but don't highlight said issues publicly
    Sometimes a little compassion is required

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭freudiangirl

Posts won't be deleted but I won't be posting any ore. It's not a place I can be sure of not upsetting people so am deting my user name.
    I just mess up without realising it.

Posts won't be deleted but I won't be posting any ore. It's not a place I can be sure of not upsetting people so am deting my user name.

Freudiangirl, I'm really sorry if what I said upset you in any way or made you feel like your posts aren't welcome here, that really wasn't my intention. I was just referring to the talk of self harm but even then they are just my own issues not your fault. Don't worry about deleting old posts they're no big deal. I really hope you change your mind about leaving, we all want you here. You're a great person and we all need eachother here. x x x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

ok folks, there's been a lot of tension and concern in the last 24 hours. Everybody involved take a step back!

To clarify some things:

All posters are welcome to post on-thread (within the site and forum rules, obviously).

If anyone finds anyone else's posts difficult or upsetting, they can use the ignore feature if they wish

If anyone thinks a post breaches the rules or warrants mod attention, they should report the post, not address the issue on-thread (this is a site-wide rule)

With reference to posts that are about self-harm, while I appreciate that the topic is upsetting for some, nonetheless it's a topic that others may need to post about and should be able to do so here. It's not an off-limits topic.

NicoleW85 wrote: »
    Mods have jumped in twice in the past fortnight and threw a spanner in the works. I'm not sure if they suffer from any form of anxiety or depression themselves but targeting members on-thread is unfair. PM if you have an issue with them, but don't highlight said issues publicly
    Sometimes a little compassion is required

Nicole, there's a couple of issues with your post.
    Firstly, yes, I've modded on-thread a few times in the last few weeks- these interventions have been for very good reason, which I'm not going to go over again now but suffice to say that I generally only intervene when there's been a clear charter breach and/or I see something potentially dangerous going on. FWIW, my recent mod-actions have all followed reported posts and PMs from multiple posters who expressed concerns.

There is no 'targeting' of posters. Modding is done on-thread for a number of reasons- so posters know issues have been dealt with and so people realise what is/isn't appropriate etc. it's a site wide practice. It's also site policy that after a mod-action anyone who has an issue with the mod-action should then take it to PM rather than cluttering the thread with comments/complaints about it, so if in future you have an issue with something I've done, please PM me about it.

Ok, please let's all get back on track. This is a great thread which is of benefit to lots of posters and I don't want to see it derailed any further.

Theres no need for anyone to leave. Its a nice little online community for people to come on and get things off there chest and support each other. People will always be welcome to come here.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I frequent a support group regularly, couple times a week. After years of counselling, anti depressants, sleeping tablets, zanex and other therapys, I found an alternative solution. Life is not easy nor perfect but it's so much more better then it was when I was stuck in the pain and anxiety of my head. Dreading the future and lamenting the past was usually the first and last things of each day. The rest of the day was just about getting to the evening that I was dreading for another sleepless night.

One thing I learned in my support group was that the things I say will not make people self harm. If a person self harms because of something I say, that's on them, not me. I am speaking purely from the perspective of me sharing my pain in a constructive manner, to help me, but somebody else using what I say as a reason why they choose to react negatively to my sharing.

Part of my pain was that I have such sensitive feelings to the world and the people around me. I am like a walking talking emotional raw nerve and life feels like it's coming at me and I have no filter.

I have learned some tools to cope but some days I feel detached from life and that there is a complete absence of joy or drive to do anything.

I read through the last few pages of this thread and I can only imagine that you are a sensitive person like myself to feel so strongly about what you wrote. I don't believe you have written anything unhelpful (let alone anything dangerous) and reading other people's responses I believe most people are desperate to continue to read your thoughts.

Another great lesson I have learned is that how I feel inside or how I feel about certain things that happen in myife, are not necessarily an accurate reflection of what is going on. You may feel that people are angry/upset/disapointed with what you posted but as an objective observer I can confidently tell you that this most definitely is not the case.

I frequent support groups primarily because I need support. I don't always offer advice and may not always say the right things but that's because I need the support of others and I am not perfect. The last suggestion I might make ithay I learned is that you try and show yourself the empathy and love on this one that you would like to feel you would show another person in your circumstances. It may not sound easy but you can start right now. The road to my wellbeing started on these forums and it's only over time have I been able to appreciate how much the support of these forums really helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Had my first positive outing in weeks tonight, I was even able to manage a very difficult motorway trip. First time in weeks i've went far away without an actual panic attack..

On a sad note my councelling has come to an end this week. I'll miss it :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

carzony wrote: »
    Had my first positive outing in weeks tonight, I was even able to manage a very difficult motorway trip. First time in weeks i've went far away without an actual panic attack..

On a sad note my councelling has come to an end this week. I'll miss it :(

Good for you carzony - that is a great achievement!

Would you like to continue with counselling? Maybe the counsellor you are currently seeing could recommend someone else. There's lots of low-cost options out there (I know it can be so expensive, which is such a barrier to accessing it).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement