Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭NicoleW85

Ok my bad. Of course now I know more details about the modding processes, the term 'spanner in the works' is inappropriate. My apologies. I'm just 'protective' of everyone on here because I know how sensitive and potentially vulnerable we are, so I just hate to think of anyone feeling worse about themselves because of this site.
    I don't make a habit of arguing with mods, honestly:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,242 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Ok let's leave all that behind us people, I for one love you all and just get into mammy mode a lot with you all. In saying that though, I could really use a hug. My head is fried after group yesterday and I'm in a lot of physical pain today which is not helping mood..

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭murria

Ok let's leave all that behind us people, I for one love you all and just get into mammy mode a lot with you all. In saying that though, I could really use a hug. My head is fried after group yesterday and I'm in a lot of physical pain today which is not helping mood..

Massive hug for you Gremlinertia. I rarely post here these days but I still read the thread, you are always there for everyone and you have a lovely non-judgemental approach. You have come a long way yourself and I think the real you is really coming through lately so you are obviously being there for you too which is the most important thing. It's not often that there is disharmony on this thread, but I guess it's very easy to misinterpret written words especially when you take into account the different ages and backgrounds contributing. It really is a lovely supportive thread and you're a great bunch. Love and healing hugs to you all.

Big hugs Grem (and anyone else in need of a big squishy hug!!)

Just wondering, has anyone developed a problem with swallowing tablets? I've always been grand but in the past month I gag at the thought of taking them and it's a real struggle to get them down!
    Its not good now cos I've skipped too many days and I feel lower than I have in months:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

NicoleW85 wrote: »
    Big hugs Grem (and anyone else in need of a big squishy hug!!)

Just wondering, has anyone developed a problem with swallowing tablets? I've always been grand but in the past month I gag at the thought of taking them and it's a real struggle to get them down!
    Its not good now cos I've skipped too many days and I feel lower than I have in months:(

Hi nicole sorry to hear you feeling low. I actually have the same issue, when i try to swallow a tablet i find it so hard to get it down. Its weird because its like your body is trying to reject it for whatever reason.

• Advertisement

It's such a strange thing to just come on after years of taking tablets! But I need to learn to overcome it!
    I just learned that one of my best friends has been diagnosed as Bi-polar. I know how bad she's felt this past 6 months or so but I didn't see that diagnosis coming. My husband feels I could still be diagnosed as well because of the range of moods i display. I don't know how to feel - part of me agrees and part of me is in complete denial.

It's such a strange thing to just come on after years of taking tablets! But I need to learn to overcome it!
    I just learned that one of my best friends has been diagnosed as Bi-polar. I know how bad she's felt this past 6 months or so but I didn't see that diagnosis coming. My husband feels I could still be diagnosed as well because of the range of moods i display. I don't know how to feel - part of me agrees and part of me is in complete denial.

Its a weird one allright. Sorry to hear about your friend but at least she has a diagnosis and hopefully the proper treatment. Why do you think yourself you might be bipolar?

It's purely the moods. I could go for a few weeks with not a care in the world and then suddenly something trivial will happen and I hit rock bottom, crying my eyes out all the time and not seeing things clearly - woe is me kind of thing. I've always been mega sensitive but when I'm depressed I really do cry a lot. I can't stick to a routine for any length of time and I have to spend money on stuff I don't need at least once a month
    It's this stuff that makes hubby think I have it but I know he's no professional

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

It's purely the moods. I could go for a few weeks with not a care in the world and then suddenly something trivial will happen and I hit rock bottom, crying my eyes out all the time and not seeing things clearly - woe is me kind of thing. I've always been mega sensitive but when I'm depressed I really do cry a lot. I can't stick to a routine for any length of time and I have to spend money on stuff I don't need at least once a month
    It's this stuff that makes hubby think I have it but I know he's no professional

I could have written my post myself, Nicole. :-/ Well, not the bit about having a hubby! LOL :D

Ah each to their own Hugo, each to their own ;):p
    It sucks though, doesn't it?

• Advertisement

The hubby wouldnt be qualified to diagnose allright :D. It could only be done by a psychiatrist. Thing with bipolar is it can take years for it to be diagnosed. Usually you have to have mania for periods of time and then depression.

Ah each to their own Hugo, each to their own ;):p
    It sucks though, doesn't it?

I don't play that way, Nicole! :D

I know what you mean though. I'm way too sensitive for my own good. Seem to be getting worse as I age. In fact, I'd wager that a fair bit of my anxiety in work is due to me not having thick skin.

mg1982 wrote:
    The hubby wouldnt be qualified to diagnose allright . It could only be done by a psychiatrist. Thing with bipolar is it can take years for it to be diagnosed. Usually you have to have mania for periods of time and then depression

I think he thinks he attended medical school in a past life :D
    Hugo I can't seem to stick at jobs for any longer than 2 years or so! When the going gets tough I go running for the hills :(

I don't play that way, Nicole! :D

I know what you mean though. I'm way too sensitive for my own good. Seem to be getting worse as I age. In fact, I'd wager that a fair bit of my anxiety in work is due to me not having thick skin.

Know what you mean Hugo. Its like i cant deal with criticism at all. I take everthing so personal.

Hugo I can't seem to stick at jobs for any longer than 2 years or so! When the going gets tough I go running for the hills :(

I hear ha, N! *hugs* Endless cycle at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭alaskayoung

Heat_Wave wrote: »
    How did you find it?

Ps. Boots was significantly cheaper than McCabes...

I'm so sorry, I just noticed this. Aside from the outrageous price of it, I found the Valdoxan / Agomelatine fine. I've been on a lot of different anti-depressants and this was by far the easiest one for me to start and come off. I've always experienced pretty bad side effects with anti-depressants but I developed absolutely nothing with this one. In terms of efficacy, it's very difficult for me to say because at the time I was taking it alongside another anti-depressant, an anti-psychotic and a mood stabiliser, medications were constantly being chopped and changed so I really don't know what effect it had! I was only put on it as a backup in case they had to take me off the other one. The only thing I can say was it did help with sleep. It didn't exactly have a sedative effect, just helped regulate it a little. I'm sorry that wasn't very helpful but I do have a friend on it who is really finding it good. The lack of side effects (for me at least!) is a huge advantage in my opinion but these can affect everyone differently. It's definitely one of the more unusual anti-depressants but it has a good reputation and if you can afford it, I'd say give it a try :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

I get ya don't mention it anymore
    I know I am the problem. I need back up support alongside the dbt and it's not there.

I probably won't post here anymore
    Freudian, it does sound like you haven't got the support you need, I think that's why I rattle on about getting citizens advice or pieta involved to help in some sort of mediation with the medial staff in Cork..

I have just read these posts. FG I am in Cork and I have a wonderful GP. If you want I can give you her name. I don't know if you are staying in Dublin or coming back to Cork as I haven't been following the thread over the last week so I am a bit out of the loop. I know there is the Endeavour programme in Cork for people with dbt. If you want any more information then pm me or post here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

I'm starting to feel very consumed by my anxiety and panic attacks and it's making life hell for me. I can't go far from home, go on journeys with people in cars, having nervous feeling even leaving the house and i've a group meeting with SW on Tuesday and i'm really wondering how i'll sit through it without panic.

Everytime i'm asked to go somewhere i'm desperately nervous as if i'm going for a job interview or something.

What should I do? I'm off all medications and I've finished my counselling.

Not sure what to do anymore...

Are you seeing the mental health service in your area? IME it is the only way to get proper treatment in this country

greenfrogs wrote: »
    Are you seeing the mental health service in your area? IME it is the only way to get proper treatment in this country

I went to counselling for 8 sessions with the hse. 8 sessions is all that's allowed per person on that scheme.

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCAQFjAAahUKEwjuoevz7rjHAhVFjtsKHREtBEU&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hse.ie%2Feng%2Fservices%2Flist%2F4%2FMental_Health_Services%2Fcounsellingpc%2F&ei=tWnWVa7zEsWc7gaR2pCoBA&usg=AFQjCNFa9ShPRjx0a8lvBTZDtK7xJ7qZTw&sig2=ONi49xJ56rjo8FuEmhGNxQ

• Advertisement

To get access to psychiatrists, more types of therapy, psychologists you need to be referred to the mental health services. The link you showed said for mild to moderate symptoms. If you can't leave the house that is not moderate, that is severe. Here in this link there are the services for a part of Dublin http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/list/1/LHO/DublinSE/Mental_Health_Services/Mental_Health_Services_in_Dublin_South_East.html. I received my treatment in day hospitals and day centres. My GP referred me on my first visit re my mental health. I'm not sure where you are located but I really don't know why you aren't getting more treatments. I have received nearly a year of cbt. And I am now in dbt skills therapy until December. 8 sessions is nothing. Demand a psychiatrist appointment. You don't need a medical card. It is free to everyone. Why should I receive these treatments and you can't..that is not fair.

My case has not been handled very well IMO..

First my gp referred me to the cipc which was great but by my counsellors own admission I had gotten worse from when I started. I am confused and shocked that my counsellor didnt wanna further refer me or even advise me to go back to my GP? The GP was also very reluctant to send me to see a psychiatrist given the huge waiting list.

The counsellor I saw seemed to be delighted that he had given me some ''tools'' to deal with my problems but no real answers or solutions. He also told me that anxiety will be part of my life and i'll just have to learn how to cope with it..

I just don't know what to think..

carzony wrote: »

First my gp referred me to the cipc which was great but by my counsellors own admission I had gotten worse from when I started. I am confused and shocked that my counsellor didnt wanna further refer me or even advise me to go back to my GP? The GP was also very reluctant to send me to see a psychiatrist given the huge waiting list.

The counsellor I saw seemed to be delighted that he had given me some ''tools'' to deal with my problems but no real answers or solutions. He also told me that anxiety will be part of my life and i'll just have to learn how to cope with it..

I know you probably can't change doctor due to medical card restrictions. However if you can then you should. Ask (demand) to be referred to a psychiatrist. Maybe by the time it comes you won't need it but I think you should put your name down. The psychiatrists will take over responsibility for your mental health issues from the GP. Which is good because your GP does not sound too good.

Your counsellor sounds like he isn't up to the job either. I think counsellors are for people who have mild symptoms. However I think both of us require people who have more expertise. That constant high level of anxiety is not part of life.

I think the referral to cipc seems to be part of the procedure to be honest. My brother is having similar anxiety issues and the GP referred him to the identical service..

I explained to the counsellor many times my anxiety problems and it would have been apparent they are severe problems IMO.

Return to your GP and ask him what the next step is. Tell him what the counsellor said and how you are anxious every time you leave home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

I'm in a foreign country and my boyfriend just walked out.

I've been in a depression for I don't know about 3 months now. I haven't been able to get excited or happy about anything, no interest in just about anything. I went to the doctor, and he gave me lexapro. I haven't taken it yet because I don't want to be on them. I also don't have any experience of them working. Plus my boyfriend seemed really opposed to me going on them. Honestly that's probably the main reason I haven't yet.

I have been fairly uninterested in doing anything on holiday. been going along with things to do. Been having an ok time, though it has rained the entire time. I woke up today the same as the others, but he's in a mood. which feeds into my mood. He asked do I want time to go off by myself, I would never want to do that on holidays with a boyfriend. I said no I just want you to be in a better mood. So he just walked out, said if I want to talk to him to text.

He knows that I'm in a depression, I've been the same in the time we've been here.
    Now I'm by myself, no one to talk to, upset, what a **** thing to do to someone feeling like this. I'm being punished for the mood that I can't control. I wasn't even doing anything. What a **** thing to do

Now I'm going to be left by myself for the day. I don't even feel like I can go outside

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

That's ****e Gongoozler. :( I know all to well how it feels when someone who you care the most about, and who you trusted to care the most about you, just walks out when you're at a really low point. :( It's a horrible feeling.

At least it sounds like he's not gone for good? Maybe just needs some space?

I don't know, I wish I could give you some advice. xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

He made out like he was doing me a favour. Yeah he probably wants space, **** way to go about it. I don't know how much more of this I can deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Gongoozler wrote: »
    He made out like he was doing me a favour. Yeah he probably wants space, **** way to go about it. I don't know how much more of this I can deal with.

When I was a younger chap (before I met my wife), I flew over to visit my then Girlfriend in Germany. We had an argument (my fault, most definitely) the first night and I ended up going home the next day (was supposed to be there a week). I went through some awful anxiety/depression and insomnia in my teens and early twenties.

In that scenario, my girlfriend sent me home and its just as well because I wouldn't of made any decision. I wasn't in the right frame of mind to make a good decision for myself. If I had any sense I would of gone home and gotten some professional support but I didn't. I booked a holiday immediately to visit my sister in Belgium and that worked out badly.

Without knowing anything else about your relationship, I empathise with anybody (my wife included) who is a partner of somebody who suffers from depression/anxiety. We are not easy people to live with and we can drain the happiness out of partners whether we mean to or not. It doesn't mean that we should feel completely responsible for their moods, they have chosen to remain with us. However, it does explain when our partners lose their patience with us.

Unless your boyfriend is a certified professional, I personally wouldn't factor in his OPINION on whether or not you should take prescription drugs. I am not a fan of anti Depressants, but they do serve a role for some people. If a doctor recommended them and you are unsure, get a professional second opinion.

Sometimes what I want to do is in conflict with what I should do. I had a long conversation with my GP (whom I trust) yesterday and we both agreed that medication is not right for me at this stage of my rehabilitation (depression/anxiety).

If your partner cant deal with your pain and does not know how to support you, why would you remain on holidays? Its a rhetorical question, I am not suggesting that you should come home.

You are uninterested in doing anything on holidays and now have fallen out with your boyfriend. How do you feel he would react if you said you wanted to come home? Depending on how bad your mood is should determine how serious you are about coming home.

Would it be fair on your boyfriend? That's a tough one to answer, but I would refer back to asking you what, if any, benefit are you getting from this "holiday"? General consensus might be to ride it out because the holiday will be over soon, but I believe when I make decisions and take action (on my mental health) I feel better then when I just wait for things to improve.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

carzony wrote: »

this is the harsh reality. what is basically happening is the mind is getting anxious in situations in which it shouldnt. if you were locked in a room with lions, you would immediately get anxious. Why? because its a defense mechanism designed to protect you. what has happened is this mechanism is defunct in some way and is making you anxious in situations you shouldnt be anxious in.

now is there a drug in the market that can finely tune your mind not to be anxious in some situations but become anxious in another? No, there isnt. if there was, we would all be taking it. can the counsellor say things or suggest things that will alleviate the situation? no. if it were that easy we would all be cured.

The counsellor to a degree is correct. you will always have anxiety no matter what counselling or meds you take. what you do is you learn to cope with it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement