Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Roquentin wrote: »
    this is the harsh reality. what is basically happening is the mind is getting anxious in situations in which it shouldnt. if you were locked in a room with lions, you would immediately get anxious. Why? because its a defense mechanism designed to protect you. what has happened is this mechanism is defunct in some way and is making you anxious in situations you shouldnt be anxious in.

now is there a drug in the market that can finely tune your mind not to be anxious in some situations but become anxious in another? No, there isnt. if there was, we would all be taking it. can the counsellor say things or suggest things that will alleviate the situation? no. if it were that easy we would all be cured.

The counsellor to a degree is correct. you will always have anxiety no matter what counselling or meds you take. what you do is you learn to cope with it.

My problem is i'm having such intense symptoms which is hard to deal with. The other issue is it's in all different setting like in cars, walking, in closed off places, in wide open spaces ect..

I've literally had panic attacks and i've not even been that far from home.

nightmare!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

be careful as well folks. you hear guys offering these eight week packages to overcome anxiety, whether its gad or ocd. they are scams. it is very hard to treat anxiety. it is rooted in your unconscious mind and one cannot consciously try to not be anxious.

one is programmed this way, just as if one is not anxious, they are programmed not to be.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

carzony wrote: »
    My problem is i'm having such intense symptoms which is hard to deal with. The other issue is it's in all different setting like in cars, walking, in closed off places, in wide open spaces ect..

nightmare!!!

they can give you xanax or rivotrill, but they become addictive. it is very hard to treat anxiety.

its easy for psychiatrists to treat the positive symptoms of schizophrenia or the mania in bipolar. they can control it with anti psychotics. to try and precision engineer when someone should and shouldnt get anxious, is very hard.

the best bet IMO is counselling, where they impart ways to cope and retrain your unconscious.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

nightmare!!!

I am finding life in general hard to deal with right now. I used to think it was things happening around me that were my problem. Yes, I would react to good and bad things in my life, but I have learned that how I feel right now is not necessarily connected to what's going on in my life.

Being upset with stressful situations is understandable. Getting to the agoraphobic stage (that I get sometimes) is not normal and unhealthy. To me it's a warning that something is fundamentally out of sync inside of me. Throw a piece of bad news and/or a dramatic life event on top of that and all of a sudden life feels hopelessly depressing.

It's been a few months since I had a full blown panic attack.

I can't tell you what you should do but I can tell you what actions I am taking to try to improve my mood. I went to my doctor yesterday and we spoke at length about options. He has referred me onto somebody who can perhaps give me professional support that might help.

A superb piece of advice that I got from my doctor is to not dismiss something (like cbt or meditation) if it doesn't work out the first or second time i try it. Perhaps there are times when it's not the right person Doing the training or I am not ready for that method. On the flip side he was saying that because a method doesn't work at that time for me, I shouldn't blame myself ("im useless at trying meditation" etc).

Not all suggestions from doctors are going to work, but by trying the suggestions I get confidence in that I am taking action to feel better. When I procrastinate and agonise over how I feel , I make no progress and feel hopeless. When I take steps and take action in trying to get better I might not feel awesome straight away but I get comfort that I have put in place a plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

The anxiety is a very hard thing to control especially when its a constant thing in your mind. There are certain situations when anxiety is appropriate like life threatening ones but when its there all the time you know theres something not right. I have heard therapists describe it as the flight or fight response which goes back to our ancient ancestors living in caves and going out into the wilds looking for food. They were in danger themselves of predators such as tigers or bears so there fight or flight response had to be switched on in those situations so they had a better chance of survival and being aware of danger. Hope that makes sense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Thanks all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Sorry to hear of your trouble there GG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

Stupid anxiety flared up again yesterday and it was completely predictable. I was at work and we had to go into a meeting, about 20-30 people there and within a few minutes I started to get twitchy and uncomfortable. I start to get hyper sensitive, feel like I'm going to fall over, get really jumpy and fidgety. Within about 5 seconds of leaving environments like that, I'm completely back to normal.

veganrun wrote: »
    Stupid anxiety flared up again yesterday and it was completely predictable. I was at work and we had to go into a meeting, about 20-30 people there and within a few minutes I started to get twitchy and uncomfortable. I start to get hyper sensitive, feel like I'm going to fall over, get really jumpy and fidgety. Within about 5 seconds of leaving environments like that, I'm completely back to normal.

Sorry to hear that VR.

Was there anything stressful about the meeting itself, like what was being discussed?

veganrun wrote: »

Oh god that would be my idea of hell being stuck in a room with 20 or 30 people. In a previous job i had we had monthly staff meetings where we all hat to sit in the one room for half an hour and we were all expected to say something. Deeply uncomfortable experience.

• Advertisement

mg1982 wrote: »
    Oh god that would be my idea of hell being stuck in a room with 20 or 30 people. In a previous job i had we had monthly staff meetings where we all hat to sit in the one room for half an hour and we were all expected to say something. Deeply uncomfortable experience.

Balls to that!

Balls to that!

I could feel the walls closing in around me. If it was up to me staff meetings would be outlawed.

I could feel the walls closing in around me. If it was up to me staff meetings would be outlawed.

Same. I've never spoken at them either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

I have a very similar meeting to go to on Tuesday.. dreading it.....

I have a very similar meeting to go to on Tuesday.. dreading it.....

Sorry to hear that, C.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

Sorry to hear that VR.

Was there anything stressful about the meeting itself, like what was being discussed?

Just talking about this re-org that happened. I only started a few weeks ago so its a little irrelevant for me as I'm not there long enough to know how it was before anyway.

Those type of gatherings seem to be tricky. Plus I was standing the whole time which seemed to make things worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Anyone feel like they're living in a different world to everyone else? That the anxiety is so extreme that people around you couldn't possibly begin to understand?

fr336 wrote: »
    Anyone feel like they're living in a different world to everyone else? That the anxiety is so extreme that people around you couldn't possibly begin to understand?

I do, FR. People just can't understand, and largely don't give a **** either.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

I do, FR. People just can't understand, and largely don't give a **** either.

Of course that doesn't stop them pretending to, when it comes to the right people eh....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭teadrinker96

last night I really thought I was going to end it all. Everything in my life is going right (should be going right)- just got my first choice to study law in college , have loads of great friends , moving out soon- everyone keeps saying 'this is the best time of your life make the most of it'. And yet all I want to do is curl up in a ball and wait for life to end .I don't see the point in living -I mean when you think about it there really isn't a reason to live is there? I can't even tell my mum about how I'm feeling because I don't want her to worry . I guess this forum is all I've got haha sorry for the rant!

• Advertisement

fr336 wrote: »
    Of course that doesn't stop them pretending to, when it comes to the right people eh....:rolleyes:

How do you mean, FR?
    last night I really thought I was going to end it all. Everything in my life is going right (should be going right)- just got my first choice to study law in college , have loads of great friends , moving out soon- everyone keeps saying 'this is the best time of your life make the most of it'. And yet all I want to do is curl up in a ball and wait for life to end .I don't see the point in living -I mean when you think about it there really isn't a reason to live is there? I can't even tell my mum about how I'm feeling because I don't want her to worry . I guess this forum is all I've got haha sorry for the rant!

Sorry to hear that, friend.

Share your worries with us here for the time being. I know you don't want your mum to worry, but I'm sure she'd love to know and help you out.

Thats the thing with depression, Life could be going well on the outside but inside your falling apart and you dont know why. I hope you do get the courage to tell someone because its hard to fight it alone.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,242 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

One of the things you would often hear when discussing depression is "what has s/he got to be sad about" and it pisses me off no end. Things do not equate with happiness, also, depression is not the same as sad. The sooner the larger population understand that, the less we will judge ourselves I hope..

Depression and anxiety have essentially ruined me. Not to be too dramatic about it though!

Depression and anxiety have essentially ruined me. Not to be too dramatic about it though!

Your still a young man Hugo. Plenty of time to turn it around.

Your still a young man Hugo. Plenty of time to turn it around.

Not to be sounding too pessimistic or anything, I don't think I can. It's far too engrained in me at this stage.

How's the weekend treating you there, MG? :)

Thats the thing with depression, Life could be going well on the outside but inside your falling apart and you dont know why. I hope you do get the courage to tell someone because its hard to fight it alone.

That's exactly how I feel :/ I mean some people do know I guess -I've been seeing a councilor for a while and have been on anti-ds for the past 6 or 7 weeks but nothing can or will change the fact that I simply don't want to live anymore

One of the things you would often hear when discussing depression is "what has s/he got to be sad about" and it pisses me off no end. Things do not equate with happiness, also, depression is not the same as sad. The sooner the larger population understand that, the less we will judge ourselves I hope..

exactly! I resent when people think that if you're depressed you're 'just lazy' or going through a phase . But then again I feel ridiculously guilty about feeling depressed when there are people dying throughout the world from poverty etc and here I am with everything I need and I feel selfish

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,242 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I often used to guilt trip myself about things like that too. I make an honest effort not to be so hard on myself now. I believe that we are unique individuals with differing emotional/psychological thresholds if you get me.. Race, creed, class or gender just don't come into it..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Every now and then I get these odd spells of lows and they oddist things trigger it.

Tonight I am at home watching get me to the Greek on TV and seen the year 2010 and it gives me a flash back to when I 1st watched the film and then brings back what happened to me in 2010 when I started college the 1st time around and just gives me these crazy lows and panics as I just get really bad deep breths and shakes and it lasts for a few min's at a time.

Then I end up thinking how much of a disappointment I have been and it just stays with me for the day. It has nearly been 5 years since all this happened to me and I still nearly think about it every day since then and I just don't think it will ever go away

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement