Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Yeah it's during the day on a week day and lasts 2 hours. I know, I really think they should have it at a time that's more manageable for people who work full time. I'm going to have to skip lectures in college to be able to attend.

Might be no harm to let the course head know that, just in case attendance is recorded so that you won't get penalised.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭alaskayoung

mg1982 wrote: »
    I actually liked the group therapy when i was doing the mindfullness course. Its just nice to be around people who are going through the same sh1tstorm you are. It just made me feel less alone. I kind of miss it in a way.

I know. Even just seeing them, you feel such an instant connection with them, like they understand you without even knowing you in a way others can't.
    Are there any Aware groups nearby you that you could attend? They're free and supposed to be really good.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,242 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

My dbt is called the solas nua project I believe, also hse run. I think one of the hardest elements is braving up to accept the need for change.. The skills need to become habit so you have to trust them.. It's oh so easy to return to your rut instead of battling on and feeling distressed at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

Was that the life skills course, MG?

It was based around mindfullness meditation and CBT. There was meditation each week i attended and we got lots of paperwork and meditation cds which was good. Really need to go back to meditating because if you stick at it 20mins a day it does really work.

It was based around mindfullness meditation and CBT. There was meditation each week i attended and we got lots of paperwork and meditation cds which was good. Really need to go back to meditating because if you stick at it 20mins a day it does really work.

I think that's a course they wanted me to go on before. I couldn't though.

• Advertisement

I know. Even just seeing them, you feel such an instant connection with them, like they understand you without even knowing you in a way others can't.
    Are there any Aware groups nearby you that you could attend? They're free and supposed to be really good.

There is an aware group in sligo. They meet up every wedensday evening. I did go once but there was only two others there and it felt kinda awkward being a newbie.

There is an aware group in sligo. They meet up every wedensday evening. I did go once but there was only two others there and it felt kinda awkward being a newbie.

I know what you mean man. I tried Aware a couple of times a few years apart. It was good when a big varied crowd but incredibly awkward when a small crowd.

That's a shame. There's one near me too and I was going to go this week just to see what it was like but I'd hate to go if there weren't a fair few other people there too, too much attention on me otherwise! Maybe try it again, you never know that could've just been a quiet day.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,242 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

That's why I like this thread.. I don't think I could bear a group scenario like that.. I don't know how I stuck with dbt sessions early on, I was a wreck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

I think the reason I feel annoyed with the dbt is because the usual therapist has been away the past 3 weeks and it was a different therapist each week. That annoyed me greatly.

Also another thing that annoyed me is the last week I was there 2 people didn't have the previous session handout. As we were looking over the previous session handout I then had to share mine with these 2 people. I thought that was so stupid. I had done the homework sections on the handout which contained information that I may not have shared out loud. I was so pissed off but I didn't say anything. What would other people do in this situation?

• Advertisement

Im thinking of going again. I think the night i was there it was unusually quiet. I did go to a Grow meeting as well but you were reading and rehearsing stuff from the bible and that wasnt my cup of tea. The people were welcoming though.

Im thinking of going again. I think the night i was there it was unusually quiet. I did go to a Grow meeting as well but you were reading and rehearsing stuff from the bible and that wasnt my cup of tea. The people were welcoming though.

Yeah that and the hand holding wasn't for me either. I don't mock or judge them though.

greenfrogs wrote: »
    I think the reason I feel annoyed with the dbt is because the usual therapist has been away the past 3 weeks and it was a different therapist each week. That annoyed me greatly.

Also another thing that annoyed me is the last week I was there 2 people didn't have the previous session handout. As we were looking over the previous session handout I then had to share mine with these 2 people. I thought that was so stupid. I had done the homework sections on the handout which contained information that I may not have shared out loud. I was so pissed off but I didn't say anything. What would other people do in this situation?

I don't blame you, that is annoying. Is it a privately run course? Every therapist will have slightly different teaching methods so it must be hard to adjust to them all.
    Oh God that would really bother me about the handout. I don't know if I'd have the nerve to protest but I'd be really uncomfortable about it. Even just sitting next to a woman the last day in group with my homework out, I was really paranoid that she could read it :P People should really come organised though. It's on once a week, it can't be that hard to remember a folder or a few sheets and kind of unfair on everyone else. It's part of the contract we had to sign at the start that we'd come organised with our homework to every session. Maybe if it happens again, you could go up to the therapist privately afterwards and explain your situation.

I don't blame you, that is annoying. Is it a privately run course? Every therapist will have slightly different teaching methods so it must be hard to adjust to them all.
    Oh God that would really bother me about the handout. I don't know if I'd have the nerve to protest but I'd be really uncomfortable about it. Even just sitting next to a woman the last day in group with my homework out, I was really paranoid that she could read it :P People should really come organised though. It's on once a week, it can't be that hard to remember a folder or a few sheets and kind of unfair on everyone else. It's part of the contract we had to sign at the start that we'd come organised with our homework to every session. Maybe if it happens again, you could go up to the therapist privately afterwards and explain your situation.

I was only there for 2 of the 3 weeks she was missing. The first one wasn't good. The second therapist was better. She usually does the endeavour programme so you'd think she would know better re the handout. It is hse run. To be fair one of the people were missing the previous week and I don't know why the other guy didn't bring it. It pissed me off for nearly an hour. I had such a face on me.

You're right about new people. They will hopefully bring new stories, experiences, and thoughts to the group. I do the homework every week but I dislike seeing people make no effort. It's unfair as there is such a high demand for these programmes.

The different therapists gets to me a lot too. In our one they try to make sure only one changes at a time.. I've attended all but three group sessions thus far and I do get a bit frustrated with others though I kinda understand on the 'homework' front as it's not always easy or desirable to face some truths on your own when you haven't covered the skills stuff. If people forget their sheets in our group we don't tend to share, it's just the way it's gone on since the start.

I'm really tired this morning, the kinda tired that may mean it will be hard to sleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

I know what the previous posters mean about people saying you should be happy. I distinctly remember a few years ago having a trip away planned to a sporting event that I really like. It was abroad so required flights, accommodation, travel and tickets all to be booked. In the lead up to it I was so "meh" about it and couldn't picture myself going. I remember telling someone about my plans hoping their enthusiasm would rub off on me but it didn't.

Sure enough, the morning came and I didn't bother going. Just stayed at home and a few hours later like an idiot started looking at flights to see if I could go after all. I didn't though, I just stayed at home.

It was at this point I knew something was wrong and I needed help and started seeing a psychologist. Although things got worse about 2 months later when I got made redundant out of the blue, just after getting my contract extended. It was a blessing in disguise as I was miserable and stressed in the job and had been for several months at least. But that didn't help as I started to get panic attacks a few days later. I ended up having to go to the GP as I needed something to calm me down. It was shortly after that, that I went onto anti-depressants.

That was a rough year for me as the job was stressful, I was tight for money, there was a death in the family then I got made redundant. Not surprised that I was close to losing it altogether.

I guess what bugs me now is that I feel like I'm permanently broken, that I will never get rid of the anxiety.

veganrun wrote: »
    I guess what bugs me now is that I feel like I'm permanently broken, that I will never get rid of the anxiety.

My therapist was saying that anxiety is part of life. People will lose jobs, family members, friendships etc. However anxiety shouldn't always be at a constant high level. It should go up and down in accordance with life events.

I still don't go too far from home. I have always been within an hour drive of my home for nearly the last year. I can't go too far. The thought of being stuck in a strange place with people in a depressed mood terrifies me. I fear I will ruin their time and my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

greenfrogs wrote: »
    My therapist was saying that anxiety is part of life. People will lose jobs, family members, friendships etc. However anxiety shouldn't always be at a constant high level. It should go up and down in accordance with life events.

I still don't go too far from home. I have always been within an hour drive of my home for nearly the last year. I can't go too far.

Similar to me. Even an hours journey is hard for me now.

carzony wrote: »
    Similar to me. Even an hours journey is hard for me now.

I don't mind the journey. But I have to be the one driving. I hate giving people lifts. I need to know if my mood changes then I can return home asap.

Constant high level anxiety is a bit of a curse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Bad day. Nothing can perk me up. I just feel sick, right up to eating food...eurgh.

fr336 wrote: »
    Bad day. Nothing can perk me up. I just feel sick, right up to eating food...eurgh.

*bro-hugs*

So sorry to hear that, my man. Anything happen there to cause this?

*bro-hugs*

So sorry to hear that, my man. Anything happen there to cause this?

Failed college course, back on the scrapheap for a bit it seems :(

That's rough, sorry to hear that man.

You aren't a scrap heap guy though. I'd imagine if you talk to the retention dept at college, they'll be able to talk you through your options. This isn't a dead end for you.

Sorry to hear that fr. College is hard though so your not the only one to fail a course and the anxiety makes it so hard to focus. What year were you in?

Try not to be hard on yourself. Anxiety and depression affects concentration and motivation so much. These results are not a reflection on you.

Thanks guys, you are right and are a great comfort to people and each other hope you know that :) Tbh I'll probably be able to get back in, was in first year, it's just a lot of road to clear to get to that point again (but hopefully by October I'll be good to go...again)

Thanks guys, you are right and are a great comfort to people and each other hope you know that :) Tbh I'll probably be able to get back in, was in first year, it's just a lot of road to clear to get to that point again (but hopefully by October I'll be good to go...again)

Just remember man, you can do whatever you set your mind to. Sometimes these things are just speed bumps, you'll still get there though.

Just remember man, you can do whatever you set your mind to. Sometimes these things are just speed bumps, you'll still get there though.

I'm just always worried about permanent damage while I fully deal with this. For instance my eyes feel dilated all the time and taking in too much light, even indoors with blinds and then curtains over them the shine rays still shine in brightly at me it's weird to say but it's the truth. They don't feel painful, necessarily, just very awkward and potentially painful.

• Advertisement

I'm just always worried about permanent damage while I fully deal with this. For instance my eyes feel dilated all the time and taking in too much light, even indoors with blinds and then curtains over them the shine rays still shine in brightly at me it's weird to say but it's the truth. They don't feel painful, necessarily, just very awkward and potentially painful.

Would a doctor or optician be able to prescribe you special glasses for that?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement