Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

carzony wrote: »
    Doctors IMO try to blame everything for depression/anxiety like diet, exersise, sleep, weight, genetics, traumatic experiences, bullying ect etc.. These things may be important but I don't believe they are relevant for people suffering with high level anxiety like people on this forum.

Many millions of people have bad diets, work night shifts, lack exersize, are overweight, have bad genetics (like me:() ect etc. and never have severe problems like people here.

Maybe i'm the only one but I believe they just wanna blame anything they come up with..

Oh I agree to an extent but just talking from personal experience I got into a right rut (still am) and think a lot of it is down to sleep deprivation over time / bad diet etc. In fact I think I had it in the background for years but difference was I had the basic kind of life a lot of people have just going along with things, only when I started getting a bit ambitious I burnt myself out not being used to it.

For me, having the car limits the amount of interaction while out and about, I'm sure I'd get more abuse otherwise.

Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

fr336 wrote: »
    Why?

Cars go faster so they can't give a long enough look at me.

Cars go faster so they can't give a long enough look at me.

Yes but what do you mean by the abuse thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

Whereabouts do you live, if you don't mind my asking? I'm an invader to Boards not from the island :P

Cork, the south of the island.
    Doctors IMO try to blame everything for depression/anxiety like diet, exersise, sleep, weight, genetics, traumatic experiences, bullying ect etc.. These things may be important but I don't believe they are relevant for people suffering with high level anxiety like people on this forum.

Many millions of people have bad diets, work night shifts, lack exersize, are overweight, have bad genetics (like me:() ect etc. and never have severe problems like people here.

Maybe i'm the only one but I believe they just wanna blame anything they come up with..

I really believe genetics have done this to me. Maybe throw in a bit of bullying and delaying getting treatment. But then I feel the bpd traits did me the most damage. The feckers.

I think the reality is doctors don't know what causes these issues. There is still a lot of research to be done. It seems to vary from person to person according to current research. It can make treatment difficult.

• Advertisement

Yes but what do you mean by the abuse thing?

Like smirking or mean comments.

greenfrogs wrote: »
    Cork, the south of the island.

Oh I know Cork :D, Da's from that way ;) I am Irish in heritage, just living in merry old England all my life (hey it's a good country overall). Is your accent strong? :cool:

Like smirking or mean comments.

Why?!

Oh I know Cork :D, Da's from that way ;) I am Irish in heritage, just living in merry old England all my life (hey it's a good country overall). Is your accent strong? :cool:

No, I've worked hard to give myself a neutral accent. :pac:

A strong Cork accent is painful to listen to.

How do you find England's mental health service?

No, I've worked hard to give myself a neutral accent. :pac:

A strong Cork accent is painful to listen to.

How do you find England's mental health service?

:D:D That must have taken a lot of work ;) I do like all Irish accents tbh, Cork is very hard work to listen to but is also one of my faves for that! My Uncle hasn't lived there for 30 years and has one of the strongest to this day despite being around Londoners all that time.

Hard to comment personally tbh. I think it would vary wildly, especially given the population size compared to Ireland. I've personally had 'counselling' for sleep issues but it's been really poor - one face to face, then phonecalls every fornight with them sending me out leaflets and 'homework' etc. No actual space to talk really though I did think it was just sleep problems so haven't had experience with real mental health assistance so far I don't think.

• Advertisement

Why?!

People are shits.

People are shits.

It's easy to spot the ****s, the normal folk around every corner keeping the place running in all sorts of ways blend in more.

:D:D That must have taken a lot of work ;) I do like all Irish accents tbh, Cork is very hard work to listen to but is also one of my faves for that! My Uncle hasn't lived there for 30 years and has one of the strongest to this day despite being around Londoners all that time.

Hard to comment personally tbh. I think it would vary wildly, especially given the population size compared to Ireland. I've personally had 'counselling' for sleep issues but it's been really poor - one face to face, then phonecalls every fornight with them sending me out leaflets and 'homework' etc. No actual space to talk really though I did think it was just sleep problems so haven't had experience with real mental health assistance so far I don't think.

Cork people can talk very fast as well which make it even harder to understand.

So far I have had mostly good experiences with the mental health services here. It's a completely public system so is free to everyone and waiting lists aren't so long, again depends on the area. The nhs can seem superior but I suppose a large population can make things tough. One face to face meeting is pretty bad. Nothing happens in one meeting. And phonecalls can be awkward.

It's easy to spot the ****s, the normal folk around every corner keeping the place running in all sorts of ways blend in more.

Older folks seem grand. My age and younger don't even try to hide their giggles.

Cork people can talk very fast as well which make it even harder to understand.

So far I have had mostly good experiences with the mental health services here. It's a completely public system so is free to everyone and waiting lists aren't so long, again depends on the area. The nhs can seem superior but I suppose a large population can make things tough. One face to face meeting is pretty bad. Nothing happens in one meeting. And phonecalls can be awkward.

I think the NHS is extremely overstretched and they'll get round to privatising it soon enough.

Older folks seem grand. My age and younger don't even try to hide their giggles.

Are you Father Christmas by any chance?

(Just trying to lighten the mood...)

Are you Father Christmas by any chance?

(Just trying to lighten the mood...)

What an odd redirection! LOL

What an odd redirection! LOL

Sorry man you just seemed to be bigging the thing up and being really paranoid..there are quite a few humans around the place, in all shapes and sizes I doubt everyone is after the great Hugo Stiglitz at all hours..

Have I scared you all away

(If so my anti-insomnia cure seems to work :p)

No unfortunately I'm still awake. Is insomnia your 'only' issue?

Recently I've noticed my spelling is shocking. I rely far too much on spellchecker.

• Advertisement

No unfortunately I'm still awake. Is insomnia your 'only' issue?

Recently I've noticed my spelling is shocking. I rely far too much on spellchecker.

No, general anxiety and very occasionally depression.

Same here, I put it down to the cluttered mind.

No, general anxiety and very occasionally depression.

Same here, I put it down to the cluttered mind.

These things never seem to occur in isolation. Always come in twos or threes.

It probably is down to a cluttered mind. But I have loads of free time at the moment so I'm trying to work on some areas such as my computer skills and punctuation skills. I never really know where to put a comma. :eek:

These things never seem to occur in isolation. Always come in twos or threes.

It probably is down to a cluttered mind. But I have loads of free time at the moment so I'm trying to work on some areas such as my computer skills and punctuation skills. I never really know where to put a comma. :eek:

How old are you again frogs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

Always someone awake on this thread! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

Had a wack of anxiety and stress this morning. Back to work after being off for the weekend. Really bad nights sleep, started feeling tense and stress, then sick.

I've been in my job 4 weeks and I can't work out if I'm going to like it or end up hating it. Each time I've/we have a meeting with our boss I'm worried my stress levels will rise because of something.

veganrun wrote: »
    Had a wack of anxiety and stress this morning. Back to work after being off for the weekend. Really bad nights sleep, started feeling tense and stress, then sick.

The weekends are both great and bad at the same time, sometimes anyway. Like the time off is good to relax and unwind, but it can allow the anxiety to fester.

Hope it has passed for you there now, VR.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

Lately i have been feeling some what stressed and over thinking things a lot - it is hard to explain exactly. Mentally i am usually OK and i don't think it is serious but it feels like i need some sort of relief from over thinking everything. Does anyone have any tips?

I was looking into meditation or even deleting my social media accounts/limiting technology use as i have a feeling they are adding to it somehow but i am not sure how exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Mr_Muffin wrote: »

I was looking into meditation

Meditation is great and actually really works. For me, It's just hard to keep doing it at home. I'd suggest maybe joining soe kind of meditation group if possible..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭timecurve12

I know it's frustrating and annoying when people try to simplify your issues down to one or two problems, and then say, problem solved. But having a good sleeping routine and diet will probably help your anxiety or depression in some way. It's worth a try. I think getting tons of caffiene through coke or coffee or whatever might make you even more anxious than you were in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

I have a lazy eye, and it seems to have had an effect on my face, as in I look kinda like I've had a stroke. My eyes and eyebrows don't match, and it even extends down my face a little. I feel so ugly when I see pictures of myself. It really gets me down. I cannot see how anyone would think I look good. I've done some work on self esteem, but the bottom line is I just think I'm ugly, so I don't see how that's ever going to change.

I started on the lexapro on friday. Felt a little better today I think. My mood was just that little bit lighter. It's a hard thing to explain. While I feel really bad because I've just looked at pictures of myself, I don't feel as bad, as in catastrophic bad. It's so hard to explain but it's like they're two unconnected things.

How do you accept you're ugly, and just try move past it? Because that's pretty much my only option. Accept what you cannot change and all that....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement