Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭timecurve12

How do you calm yourself down when you can't relax, thinking like crazy? Went for a walk, had something to eat ( resisted the urge to stuff my face). Still can't wind down. Thank you brain, you're the best sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭alaskayoung

How do you calm yourself down when you can't relax, thinking like crazy? Went for a walk, had something to eat ( resisted the urge to stuff my face). Still can't wind down. Thank you brain, you're the best sometimes.

Maybe try having a bath or shower or even a hot cup of tea with a book? I don't know why but hot things always seem to relax me and make me a little drowsy and a book is a good distraction without being as stimulating as a computer or the tv. I'm sorry, that feeling sucks. Fair play to you for really trying to combat it in healthy ways like that though! I'm so useless at using any sort of positive coping mechanisms when I get agitated, I just dive straight into self destruct mode :P I hope it passes for you soon and you get some sleep tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

I downloaded the Headspace app a while back and while I don't still use it regularly, I found it very good for forcing your mind to stop, or at least slow down. It's a meditation thing. I think you should give it a try. It's very relaxing. Though I am with alaska young on the hot drinks thing, they always make me think of comfort.

Just got a letter from my landlord, he's increasing the rent. I'm dublin city centre, and it's pretty good what I have, but at the same time, my washing machine is outside, and my roof leaks, and in the winter (or even autumn) my room is absolutely freezing, so I'm pissed at the wanting more rent. Whatever about that, it's weird how much it's gotten to me. I feel the catastrophic feeling about it. Like, why is this happening to me...now, I can't afford it (though I kinda can), etc. I actually feel like crying. Guess my uplifted mood was short lived.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

Gongoozler wrote: »
    I downloaded the Headspace app a while back and while I don't still use it regularly, I found it very good for forcing your mind to stop, or at least slow down. It's a meditation thing. I think you should give it a try. It's very relaxing. Though I am with alaska young on the hot drinks thing, they always make me think of comfort.

Just got a letter from my landlord, he's increasing the rent. I'm dublin city centre, and it's pretty good what I have, but at the same time, my washing machine is outside, and my roof leaks, and in the winter (or even autumn) my room is absolutely freezing, so I'm pissed at the wanting more rent. Whatever about that, it's weird how much it's gotten to me. I feel the catastrophic feeling about it. Like, why is this happening to me...now, I can't afford it (though I kinda can), etc. I actually feel like crying. Guess my uplifted mood was short lived.

Maybe you could negotiate with the landlord. Say you are willing to pay the increased rent but you want the matters you named above addressed. A leaky roof is not on. You have a right to be upset. It's annoying to see bills increase when you are technically not gaining anything. However try to not let it get you down. Focus on the positives you have in life such as you have the money for the increased rent, you have been feeling better recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭timecurve12

Thanks guys. Hot drinks work great for me too. I like meditation so will download the app. Alaska, don't put yourself down for not coping well when you're in a difficult place. It's hard. I used to SH myself.

Sorry to hear that. It's so tough right now with renting. It actually causes me major anxiety too. I would feel really upset too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

GG,

That rent increase is taking the piss given the conditions of the place you've mentioned there. :mad:

It's still a good deal though for the location. The thing that bothers me about the place is the cold in the winter. I'm a cold person but I have to have two heaters on just to take the sting out, and then we have massive bills for months. It's just a bit of a kick now is all.

It's still a good deal though for the location. The thing that bothers me about the place is the cold in the winter. I'm a cold person but I have to have two heaters on just to take the sting out, and then we have massive bills for months. It's just a bit of a kick now is all.

Shur have a talk with him and see. Who knows, he might be reasonable and not increase the rent.

I doubt it, it's being done through a letting agent, but yeah I'll consider talking to him.
    I'm all worked up now. Last thing I need

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

I'm a terribly cold person as well. It's hard to be in good form when you are freezing. However the other side of that is increased heating bills. Maybe this is why the rent is good for the location. The 'saving' you are making on a lower rent is actually not a saving at all as you have high heating bills. It would be something to either bring up with the landlord or consider moving to a more expensive place with better insulation.

• Advertisement

I doubt it, it's being done through a letting agent, but yeah I'll consider talking to him.
    I'm all worked up now. Last thing I need

So sorry to hear that, GG. I hope it passes for you soon there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭freudiangirl

Was discharged from hospital today.
    Am back in Cork. Weird tbh. Still very disassociated but hoping it will pass.

Meeting gp tomorrow and have assessment in pieta house too. So.hoping it will help.
    Still struggling to see point of existance and still having really bad thoughts.

Roquentin wrote: »
    also, the real world is much harder. college doesnt prepare you for work. in the real world you are dealing with people not books.

True but college is also great fun so embrace it. Do your best and that is all that matters Alaska.

Meeting gp tomorrow and have assessment in pieta house too. So.hoping it will help.
    Still struggling to see point of existance and still having really bad thoughts.

*hugs* Hang on in there, FG. We're all here for ya if you need to talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Really struggled with the meeting today but got through it. Luckily it was no longer than 20 mins. I was thinking it was my first time i've been in a group of people since my anxiety got to it's worst stage.

I have to say getting through the meeting gave me a great feeling and my anxiety liteally dissapeared for the rest of the day. I've not had this kind of freedom for weeks.

Makes me realise how bad things have actully gotten..

carzony wrote: »
    Really struggled with the meeting today but got through it. Luckily it was no longer than 20 mins. I was thinking it was my first time i've been in a group of people since my anxiety got to it's worst stage.

I have to say getting through the meeting gave me a great feeling and my anxiety liteally dissapeared for the rest of the day. I've not had this kind of freedom for weeks.

Makes me realise how bad things have actully gotten..

Well done on getting through the meeting, Carzony. Little victories are still victories. :)

I know this sounds cliché and all but it's true. You can do this FG, you've gotten this far, you're clearly a really strong person despite all the hardships you've had. Believe in yourself but also don't expect too much of yourself over the next while. After all you've been through, it's going to be baby steps that get you better, things won't get easier all at once. Someone told me before that it takes 10 times longer to put yourself back together than it does to fall apart. I know what you mean about struggling to see the point of existence, I really struggle with that thought too. Even if I'm doing things that are really productive, they feel like a waste of time. I guess all that we can do is hope that in time, things will change. If we're not here though, they'll definitely never have the chance too!

Good luck today with your assessment with Pieta House. I've never had any experience with the organisation but I've heard so many good things and I pray to god that you find someone you can trust and build a strong connection with. I'm not sure if you said if you are or you aren't still part of the mental health services in Cork because of that psychiatrist but if you are, you never know, even if you don't like her, don't right the entire team off, there could be some really great psychiatric nurses part of it too that you could rely on more.

Oh and take it really easy on yourself over the next few days especially. It can take quite a while to adjust to the "outside world" after being in hospital for so long x

Had to take a tablet on daytime as anxiety is through roof. Feel totally spaced now. Waiting in pieta now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

Yesterday went ok. I got an email from my manager today with my list of objectives etc. Kind of daunting to see it written down starts triggering doubts. My job is quite technical and all the stuff here is new to me so I have frequent concerns that I won't be up to the job.

My brain annoys me at times. I was on the train this morning thinking to myself "Is any of this real? Are we just living in some sort of simulation and I've become aware if it.".

On the plus side my anxiety is generally lower now compared to how it was but its not completely gone. Certain social situations still trigger it so I'm not at the point where I feel free to do whatever I want.

Need to go back to the GP sometime next month to check in and see how things are going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

Had to take a tablet on daytime as anxiety is through roof. Feel totally spaced now. Waiting in pieta now

Good luck, hope it goes well for you!

• Advertisement

veganrun wrote: »
    Yesterday went ok. I got an email from my manager today with my list of objectives etc. Kind of daunting to see it written down starts triggering doubts. My job is quite technical and all the stuff here is new to me so I have frequent concerns that I won't be up to the job.

I'm in a similar boat, VR. It's not good as it totally fuels my insecurities and anxiety. Have to deal with some shitty people too about it at times which definitely doesn't help.

How do you deal with it there, VR?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭scrimshanker

Well done on managing it and getting out and to Pieta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

Dealing with a fair bit of suicidal thoughts today. Just have an overwhelming sense that life is pointless and not worth living. My brain doesnt seem to function properly anymore. I often think of what kind of future i will have and it scares me tbh. The present is hard enough as it is.

Sorry for being depressing just had to get it off my chest.

Good luck, hope it goes well for you!

Thanks. Will have 15 sessions with Pieta.

Had awful day with my ex.
    He was so cautious and watching me about kids.
    I pulled him on it and was accused of jumping to conclusions.

Well done on managing it and getting out and to Pieta.

Well I feel a bit of a failure having to take the meds. But if I cope with it, it has to be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭scrimshanker

Well I feel a bit of a failure having to take the meds. But if I cope with it, it has to be done.

That's not a failure, that's taking control of the situation. Well done fg, sounds like you're holding up like a trooper :). You must be glad to see your kids again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Feeling a bit depressed about my lack of work experience the last few days. Talking to old friends makes thing worse when you realise your miles behind them in terms of education and experience.. ffs

That's not a failure, that's taking control of the situation. Well done fg, sounds like you're holding up like a trooper :). You must be glad to see your kids again.

Well I have recognised that seeing my ex with kids at home won't work.
    I took a double dose of my normal prn, I had to.
    I hate this.

I don't even understand what you're supposed to DO with suicidal thoughts, well actually suicidal urges. For me there's a huge difference between the two. Thoughts are more just wishing I were dead or planning how I'd kill myself etc etc but urges you've got all this fxcking desperation and urgency and just wanting to DO something about it right now and like what the hell am I supposed to DO and the only answer that my mind throws at me is klil yourself kill yourself but no according to my pdoc or psychologist or nurse or I don't even care that's not an option as if they the slightest notion what this is like to endure.

• Advertisement

mg1982 wrote: »
    Dealing with a fair bit of suicidal thoughts today. Just have an overwhelming sense that life is pointless and not worth living. My brain doesnt seem to function properly anymore. I often think of what kind of future i will have and it scares me tbh. The present is hard enough as it is.

Sorry for being depressing just had to get it off my chest.

*bro-hugs*

I feel very much the same, MG.
    We can't give in to such thoughts though. We have to believe that things will improve.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement