Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

fiftythree wrote: »
    understand that totally. in a way i feel becoming depressed has made me a better person, as in the frustration i felt by people telling me to get over it, for god's sake, etc, people who think it is the same as having a bad day, has made me question my views on a lot of other things, and become, hopefully, a more understanding person.
    at least a person i am "happier", and more comfortable to be.
    i'm looking up ships now, loads of them are just parked.
    dammit i'm going to be looking up ship and planes all night now....thanks!
    having said that i started it:mad:

Following the planes on the map and air traffic control frequencies should be interesting as the winter comes more and more...trouble with wind, snow and general bad weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

shezer wrote: »
    The best bet is the counsellor for someone you want to hear you out. If you want to get something from your GP then keep it medical.
    Example-I'm feeling really sad the local cat is missing and I loved that cat. I don't think i'll be able to sleep for a month. As opposed to what should be said to the GP- Local cat is missing. I'm losing sleep,I can't eat right, I have tremors and palpitations and my skin has broken out in a rash.

The GP isn't trained to discuss the Cat, the GP is trained to prescribe or advise for the sickness that comes with the disappearance of the cat.

This is why you feel rushed in the GPs office(and especially if you're up the north where the waiting time for a GP can be ridiculously long).

Oh i know and it was the GP who referred me to the counselor. However as GP appointments are only 10 minutes or so here (at least in my practice) she wanted to see me every few weeks to 'get to know' me as she put it and sort out treatment for all my various mental maladies. Want to get a definitive diagnosis for my OCD as well and get on the waiting list for CBT and can't do that without her anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭fiftythree

fr336 wrote: »
    Following the planes on the map and air traffic control frequencies should be interesting as the winter comes more and more...trouble with wind, snow and general bad weather.

imagine the boats are similar.
    i used to use the ferries in scotland and that was a nightmare in winter
    does flightradar do only commercial, like passenger, or everything?
    what if it was say a top secret political prisoner flight?
    or does it show up and people just speculate as to its cargo?
    sorry didn't mean to hijack the thread for plane stuff but its interesting..

imagine the boats are similar.
    i used to use the ferries in scotland and that was a nightmare in winter
    does flightradar do only commercial, like passenger, or everything?
    what if it was say a top secret political prisoner flight?
    or does it show up and people just speculate as to its cargo?
    sorry didn't mean to hijack the thread for plane stuff but its interesting..

Almost all commercial flights will show up, yes. Few exceptions might be smaller planes without the right equipment but this is now extremely rare - if anything they are just intermittent in their communication. It's more about the aircraft than anything, I've seen flights on fr24 in and out of SNN that are used by the US - people speculate what for.

Oh i know and it was the GP who referred me to the counselor. However as GP appointments are only 10 minutes or so here (at least in my practice) she wanted to see me every few weeks to 'get to know' me as she put it and sort out treatment for all my various mental maladies. Want to get a definitive diagnosis for my OCD as well and get on the waiting list for CBT and can't do that without her anyway.

good idea seeing the GP every few weeks. hope you stick at it, i'm booking an appt monday witha GP too and will take it from there. very little time is 10 minutes to get to know somebody but better than no time at all. hope you get on ok, let us know, best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

I wish I could say that depression made me a better person or that it showed me that life is to be lived. No, it just made me twisted and bitter. No to be moaning or anything! LOL :D

Almost all commercial flights will show up, yes. Few exceptions might be smaller planes without the right equipment but this is now extremely rare - if anything they are just intermittent in their communication. It's more about the aircraft than anything, I've seen flights on fr24 in and out of SNN that are used by the US - people speculate what for.

SNN is shannon?
    so is shannon less rigidly monitored than dublin?
    and could i buy some cheap 2nd hand plane and fly "under the radar" if they can't track it from the tech they have...ok better stop soon but this plane stuff is great interesting stuff!
    kind of why i like being awake nights, in towns anyway, just knowing there's
    whole stories, lives, subcultures, gong on, outside your window.
    secret and private all at once. partial knowledge.
    same with the skies. you hear the noise of the plane but you have no idea what stories are on board.
    this actually is in a way related to anxiety...
    sort of the feeling of not being alone, that in a busy space, with so many human lives going on around you, flying about and colliding, that at least some of them must resemble you. have similar experiences, insecurities.
    gives me a feeling i am part of a huge world, not a small one,
    and that everythng is possible.:)

I wish I could say that depression made me a better person or that it showed me that life is to be lived. No, it just made me twisted and bitter. No to be moaning or anything! LOL :D

sometimes i feel that hugo.
    other times i totally agree with you. all depends on my outlook on the day:confused:

Anything can happen...a year, month or day after today....you never know how good things can get......Trust me on this

SNN is shannon?
    so is shannon less rigidly monitored than dublin?
    and could i buy some cheap 2nd hand plane and fly "under the radar" if they can't track it from the tech they have...ok better stop soon but this plane stuff is great interesting stuff!
    kind of why i like being awake nights, in towns anyway, just knowing there's
    whole stories, lives, subcultures, gong on, outside your window.
    secret and private all at once. partial knowledge.
    same with the skies. you hear the noise of the plane but you have no idea what stories are on board.
    this actually is in a way related to anxiety...
    sort of the feeling of not being alone, that in a busy space, with so many human lives going on around you, flying about and colliding, that at least some of them must resemble you. have similar experiences, insecurities.
    gives me a feeling i am part of a huge world, not a small one,
    and that everythng is possible.:)

SNN is Shannon yep, sorry. What do you mean more monitored than Dublin?
    Erm I think ATC and the authorities can track all aircraft :D It's just on fr24 that there may be some issues.
    Indeed, and you are, and lots is possible, in all sorts of different ways. Sometimes you just need to jump into life and see what happens, you might be amazed you waited this long since you can learn so much from day 1.

• Advertisement

salivating for a cheeseburger here...the mcdonalds is a mile away and i've no coat, thanks to thieves..and it's wet and cold:eek:
    went for a coffee earlier in a starbucks...yes i love multinational chains.
    got 3 coffees, 1 paid for and 2 refills.
    it was brilliant. just a few hours away from the house helped me gather the old thoughts.

SNN is Shannon yep, sorry. What do you mean more monitored than Dublin?
    Erm I think ATC and the authorities can track all aircraft :D It's just on fr24 that there may be some issues.
    Indeed, and you are, and lots is possible, in all sorts of different ways. Sometimes you just need to jump into life and see what happens, you might be amazed you waited this long since you can learn so much from day 1.

sorry i meant less monitored not more, and is that why these USA rendition flights land in shannon? like there is less rigid monitoring?
    i have jumped in and out of life a lot in the past,
    might be better off starting from scratch and sliding in at the shallow end and swimming about a bit. thanks. but yes i'd love to jump in, i know life can be lovely and hopefully when come out of this bad patch i will appreciate it more.
    hope tomorrow is good for you and everyone on here.

sorry i meant less monitored not more, and is that why these USA rendition flights land in shannon? like there is less rigid monitoring?
    i have jumped in and out of life a lot in the past,
    might be better off starting from scratch and sliding in at the shallow end and swimming about a bit. thanks. but yes i'd love to jump in, i know life can be lovely and hopefully when come out of this bad patch i will appreciate it more.
    hope tomorrow is good for you and everyone on here.

I think they use SNN because that's so often used as a stopover for US bound flights. You probably have a great point and the slightly less congestion both with traffic and attention does play a big part too though.

I think I absolutely know what you're going through as I've never lived life to the full at all (not intentionally). But there have been bursts of brilliance both in terms of what life can offer me and what I can offer. One step at a time...build a castle over the duration...and see just what amazement is possible. Because staying put is only to get more and more distressing and potentially even worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Anything can happen...a year, month or day after today....you never know how good things can get......Trust me on this

Trust is earned Fr336! :p:D Only joking sir :)

Things just don't seem to get much better here but then again I don't really try either. :o

Trust is earned Fr336! :p:D Only joking sir :)

Things just don't seem to get much better here but then again I don't really try either. :o

Distractions.

I think they use SNN because that's so often used as a stopover for US bound flights. You probably have a great point and the slightly less congestion both with traffic and attention does play a big part too though.

I think I absolutely know what you're going through as I've never lived life to the full at all (not intentionally). But there have been bursts of brilliance both in terms of what life can offer me and what I can offer. One step at a time...build a castle over the duration...and see just what amazement is possible. Because staying put is only to get more and more distressing and potentially even worse.

just thought regional airports may get away with a lot more than big ones...
    i've totally no idea though.

god i know what you mean..the glimpses that you could do brilliant stuff, even be content, or more.
    sometimes selfishly, sometimes when i'm on form i think i could do nearly anything. that has been a while though. more recently i think i could at least be a better human all round though. but i think when you get that feeling you can lift yourself and others around you. i can potentially be alert, intelligent, caring, confident, compassionate, and just an all round nice guy,
    and i love it when i have been like that, though it has never lasted long.
    i think there is a way to get that, or get that back, for all of us,
    it just can get lost like a rendition flight:pac:

just thought regional airports may get away with a lot more than big ones...
    i've totally no idea though.

god i know what you mean..the glimpses that you could do brilliant stuff, even be content, or more.
    sometimes selfishly, sometimes when i'm on form i think i could do nearly anything. that has been a while though. more recently i think i could at least be a better human all round though. but i think when you get that feeling you can lift yourself and others around you. i can potentially be alert, intelligent, caring, confident, compassionate, and just an all round nice guy,
    and i love it when i have been like that, though it has never lasted long.
    i think there is a way to get that, or get that back, for all of us,
    it just can get lost like a rendition flight:pac:

Totally agree, I'm the same, Rome wasn't built in a day though - we've got to start somewhere and build up.

Totally agree, I'm the same, Rome wasn't built in a day though - we've got to start somewhere and build up.

it was dreamt up in a day though:D
    know what you mean though. i'm a dreamer and always will be i think.
    only difference is some of those dreams are in fact nightmares and not dreams at all. think i need to get a balance between good and negative thoughts, i mean
    unrealistically good thoughts, not so good. general feeling of contentment good!
    similarly with negativity. bit of worry is ok, it's life, dread of everything, not.
    need to somehow find a middle ground.

it was dreamt up in a day though:D
    know what you mean though. i'm a dreamer and always will be i think.
    only difference is some of those dreams are in fact nightmares and not dreams at all. think i need to get a balance between good and negative thoughts, i mean
    unrealistically good thoughts, not so good. general feeling of contentment good!
    similarly with negativity. bit of worry is ok, it's life, dread of everything, not.
    need to somehow find a middle ground.

Indeed, positivity to giddy levels is generally not good as there will always be a comedown. Likewise no to extreme negativity. A middle, realistic outlook is best.

apologies for anybody regulars or otherwise reading this and finding my references to aviation as going off topic and silly.
    my fault entirely, i always found it hard to be totally direct on depression/anxiety in real life and
    i tend to do that, even in here i find it a bit hard to talk and although i am genuinely interested in what's going on in the air i sometime like to talk in stuff in sort of code like the mixed up flight paths in the sky we sort of are, avoiding each other in a centrally controlled way.
    more comfortable sometimes talking like that i suppose. having said that i'm genuinely going to start tracking planes now after tonight!

• Advertisement

You sound like a clever one with great potential fiftythree, don't waste it

You sound like a clever one with great potential fiftythree, don't waste it

cleverness did used to be my forte fr336, bit different now. back when i had no idea it was.
    lost some intelligence, that much is for sure. a lot. literally lost it, in cellular matter!
    gained some understanding, if there is a difference, so hopefully balance is restored at least in some absolute terms. the energy must have gone somewhere. somebody has it so they can dispose of it as they see fit.
    that's why i am on here, and going to a doctor next week.
    i'm not perfectly well but i know i am reparable.
    right lets start building our respective Romes:D

cleverness did used to be my forte fr336, bit different now. back when i had no idea it was.
    lost some intelligence, that much is for sure. a lot. literally lost it, in cellular matter!
    gained some understanding, if there is a difference, so hopefully balance is restored at least in some absolute terms. the energy must have gone somewhere. somebody has it so they can dispose of it as they see fit.
    that's why i am on here, and going to a doctor next week.
    i'm not perfectly well but i know i am reparable.
    right lets start building our respective Romes:D

May I ask your age fiftythree?

May I ask your age fiftythree?

my username reversed. i asked a RNG, random number generator and it came up with 53 and the name was available!slight coincidence..so i am 35.

my username reversed. i asked a RNG, random number generator and it came up with 53 and the name was available!slight coincidence..so i am 35.

A fine age to start again.

A fine age to start again.

maybe, not the first age i started again though.
    bit like a continuous restart every few years but i have started so i will....eventually...finish.

maybe, not the first age i started again though.
    bit like a continuous restart every few years but i have started so i will....eventually...finish.

Well whatever age someone is, I say don't waste another second. To be cliched, life is a gift, not a test. There are no rules either way, it is what it is. Not for you, not against you. Things just happen. Just do it.

Well whatever age someone is, I say don't waste another second. To be cliched, life is a gift, not a test. There are no rules either way, it is what it is. Not for you, not against you. Things just happen. Just do it.

i will, thanks..
    by starting things off monday morning. i think life is everything, gift, test, you can call it anything, different word for each moment, it just is. all words, all combinations of words, a lot more than a word. no combination of words will describe it no matter how many of them monkeys you fit in your room.
    get back to you guys on monday. enjoy your weekends, fr336 and the rest of you. goodnight, 53;)

i will, thanks..
    by starting things off monday morning. i think life is everything, gift, test, you can call it anything, different word for each moment, it just is. all words, all combinations of words, a lot more than a word. no combination of words will describe it no matter how many of them monkeys you fit in your room.
    get back to you guys on monday. enjoy your weekends, fr336 and the rest of you. goodnight, 53;)

Goodnight, good relatable convo thanks :)

• Advertisement

Goodnight, good relatable convo thanks :)

thank you too, was great. talk soon buddy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement