Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

Well here's one for you.. I met up with a this girl that I like on Friday and she actually said she could feel the anxiety and negative energy emanating from me.. How do you respond to that?? I tried to play it all down with humour but she saw right through it. I really like this girl and was exceptionally nervous before I met her. Sometimes I can t explain my incredibly ridiculous behaviour and i very much dislike myself at the moment. I've been actively trying to control y anxiety but nothing is working, in fact it's actually getting worse

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Well here's one for you.. I met up with a this girl that I like on Friday and she actually said she could feel the anxiety and negative energy emanating from me.. How do you respond to that?? I tried to play it all down with humour but she saw right through it. I really like this girl and was exceptionally nervous before I met her. Sometimes I can t explain my incredibly ridiculous behaviour and i very much dislike myself at the moment. I've been actively trying to control y anxiety but nothing is working, in fact it's actually getting worse

I've been 'seen through' sometimes, i go with it generally, some people are quite sensitive to how you are and the vibes emanating from you. Turns out that i made two good friends from admitting that i was really anxious and down..

I now think it's probably a good thing to embrace the people who are sensitive enough to see how you are instead of considering you snobby or stand offish because you find it nerve wracking to engage.. :o Hope i haven't waffled too much here..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Am in a "what's the point" kinda mood here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

I agree, if someone else brings it up then it's okay to admit it. You don't have to tell them everything but you could just say you've had some recent issues with anxiety. Like Gremlin I've found admitting it can actually work out for the better. Was seriously uncertain about telling people at work about my depression but one day I had it so bad I had to tell people because it was affecting my performance and also because I just felt like I would explode if I did. It was actually a brilliant idea, I'm closer to both people because of it and I felt so cared for and looked after for the rest of my shift. Also by confiding in them they both confided in me since about personal problems/their own mental health issues so we're all able to help each other on several occasions and are all closer because of it. Also if you really like this girl and things progress it's going to have to come out eventually, probably better sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

Am in a "what's the point" kinda mood here.

Hate that mood.

• Advertisement

guitarzero wrote: »
    Hate that mood.

It seems to strike me most weekends now.

It seems to strike me most weekends now.

Haha, yeah, I'm the exact same, hangovers are a big culprit too. I get it early in the day, horrible existential thoughts etc. Good company is often the best cure if you are lucky enough to have that.

Haha, yeah, I'm the exact same, hangovers are a big culprit too. I get it early in the day, horrible existential thoughts etc. Good company is often the best cure if you are lucky enough to have that.

No company and nothing to do here lol :-/

No company and nothing to do here lol :-/

That's pretty heavy man, dont you have a skype/google+ to contact friends? (btw I'm fully aware of the precarious nature of friends and depression)

That's pretty heavy man, dont you have a skype/google+ to contact friends? (btw I'm fully aware of the precarious nature of friends and depression)

You know that kinda loneliness where you desire the company of peers. Like there are family in the house here too thankfully so I'm not totally alone but want more of a peer connection. If you get me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭CZ 453

You know that kinda loneliness where you desire the company of peers. Like there are family in the house here too thankfully so I'm not totally alone but want more of a peer connection. If you get me.

Are you on the Book of the Face? Have you hobbies?

shezer wrote: »
    Are you on the Book of the Face? Have you hobbies?

Yeah I'd like have chats with people on FB and Boards.

No hobbies really to be brutally honest. Having some would make it easier to go out and about in real life but I wouldn't even know where to begin about getting a hobby.

The Facebook can be dangerous enough all the same for us anxiety fiends. Scrolling down through the news feed showing others happiness or apparent happiness can put you down if you are already feeling low. The chat on it is a great service.

The Facebook can be dangerous enough all the same for us anxiety fiends. Scrolling down through the news feed showing others happiness or apparent happiness can put you down if you are already feeling low. The chat on it is a great service.

I'm prone to looking up people that I formerly associated with on FB and lamenting at how great things are for them. Hits the blues hard I must say.

I'm prone to looking up people that I formerly associated with on FB and lamenting at how great things are for them. Hits the blues hard I must say.

The future is where the party is at Hugo.

I'm just feeling a bit mopey is all. Thanks for the kind comments guys. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

What are they doing that's so great? My opinion of the average Joe is very low - papering over the cracks, keeping up appearances being order of the day. I'd guess that a lot of trying to impress others and sniping at others gets many people up in the morning...oh and going through the motions to too large at extent. I don't think many people around actually care about what they're doing, very sad.

I want to burst and scream everything is getting on my nerves / upsetting them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭handbagmad

Seems fcuk the world humour is the order of the day today.

Hugo, I hate Facebook.

To me people posting every little details of their so called perfect lives and their "perfect" relationships is just fueling their egotistical view of life.
    It's just shallow, or maybe im just a sour aul biatch.

handbagmad wrote: »
    maybe im just a sour aul biatch.

I'm a sour yoke myself H! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭handbagmad

I'm a sour yoke myself H! :D

bahh feicin happy people...said in a fr.jack voice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Feelin' rotten today too.. All anxious and definitely not helped by hangover still ongoing from Friday night.. Dreading work tomorrow and all the week will bring with it..

handbagmad wrote: »
    Seems fcuk the world humour is the order of the day today.

Hugo, I hate Facebook.

To me people posting every little details of their so called perfect lives and their "perfect" relationships is just fueling their egotistical view of life.
    It's just shallow, or maybe im just a sour aul biatch.

No, it is in fact true for the majority of people. And by that I mean a good 70% of people. The other 30% are out there and are great in various ways while still being human...sadly sometimes you have to explore an awful lot to find such people as they tend to flock towards nicer areas (and in my case countries) :D

A life spent trying to impress others, especially in most cases others you apparently don't even like, is no life at all. People who live their lives through Facebooks don't just make me feel embarrassed, I feel rather sick.

northgirl wrote: »
    Feelin' rotten today too.. All anxious and definitely not helped by hangover still ongoing from Friday night.. Dreading work tomorrow and all the week will bring with it..

Hope it passes soon there NorthGirl

I'm having one of those days too, feel like there's some people picking on me and it's hard for me not to react to it. So close to just leaving here to avoid it, to be honest.

Cheers Hugo S :) Likewise.. At least I know I am not alone with much of these feelings... not to wish them on others but it kind of helps a bit..

Ice cream for everyone. It's the only thing for the blues folks.

Ice cream for everyone. It's the only thing for the blues folks.

I had some vanilla ice cream, apple tart and sliced banana 15 mins ago, dont wanna brag or anything..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

i think though a lot of people do a cosmetic job on the FB pages......they make themselves look good on them. i remember i college a lecture saying he pisses his hole laughing at the ****e students type on linkedin pages

a lot of these social media pages are how people wish to look rather than how they actually look and i wouldnt pay too much attention to them

id say if you looked into the lives of others they would all have problems some way or another

edit: i remember a lad who was unemployed saying he was working in some place just so employers would see it and be impressed

• Advertisement

Malteser McFlurry...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement