Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

guitarzero wrote: »
    Curious about ppls experience of psychotherapy. I've had my 4th session yesterday, feel I'm going in circles a bit now. I'm still putting faith in it but not experiencing any results through this process, not yet anyway. Hmmm...

I've just had my 8th session. I found them better at the beginning but I think that equates to a sense of initial relief whereas the latter sessions are somewhat harder work.

I think it's early days so am going to try and stick with it a while anyway, this is the first counsellor/psychotherapist I've built some form of connection with and it seems to be helping a bit anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

shezer wrote: »
    That's great to hear. A problem shared is a problem halved.

I'm alright now. A weekend of festivities to look forward to.........anxiously :P. I'm just trying to focus on each day as it comes. I get way too excited about events in advance and I end up doing nothing leading up.

I'm the same. I find focusing on the minutae of day to day tasks and just getting through the day helps with both my anxiety and my depression. It can be hard to do that sometimes though
    fr336 wrote: »
    Feel like I'm going to throw up, so so shivery, so weak...ahh good day....

ETA: Oh and almost certainly caused by a higher than usual few days of anxiety.
    Ugh no the feeling. Had the pleasure of seeing my breakfast in reverse today. Have no appetite and when I do eat my stomach is in such a not it normally comes back up again. *sigh*

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Ugh no the feeling. Had the pleasure of seeing my breakfast in reverse today. Have no appetite and when I do eat my stomach is in such a not it normally comes back up again. *sigh*

:( Hope you're 100% (at least in terms of sickness) asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭fiftythree

my mother is going into hospital. really should go see her, don't know how serious it is.
    but in a pretty bad state myself. no energy and very depressed feeling.
    but she can't know that, was trying to get myself together, one of the reasons is that her
    health was bad for a while and i wanted to be stronger in case anything happened.
    didn't get myself together in time. i will hear soon what is happening.

fiftythree wrote: »
    my mother is going into hospital. really should go see her, don't know how serious it is.
    but in a pretty bad state myself. no energy and very depressed feeling.
    but she can't know that, was trying to get myself together, one of the reasons is that her
    health was bad for a while and i wanted to be stronger in case anything happened.
    didn't get myself together in time. i will hear soon what is happening.

So sorry fifty :(

• Advertisement

So sorry fifty :(

thanks fr336, times like this wish i had a car, bloody annoyed with self for letting myself get into a bad state, other people might depend on me sometime.
    cant get there on public transport now i will try get there tomorrow to the hosp on buses.
    she been in hospital recent and came out ok so i'm hoping not too serious but
    still very worried.

i'm having a bad day, hope you are all ok tonight guys.

Hugs to you fifty. I've got a really bad case of flu I think now (well bad for me) and I'd take anxiety over this any day :D Once I'm over this I'm going to batter the hell out of all anxiety and live my life to full potential.

Hugs to you fifty. I've got a really bad case of flu I think now (well bad for me) and I'd take anxiety over this any day :D Once I'm over this I'm going to batter the hell out of all anxiety and live my life to full potential.

thanks flightplan,
    think i've been a bit cold-y myself last few days. i'm convinced the filthy fly infestation didn't help.they're full of disease them flies.
    yuk.
    great, you get out of that flu and get back to life.
    i'm not sure what will happen tomorrow but i'm not looking forward to it.
    not at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

ah not doin great. Got a free gaff for two nights and usually I'd defo have some sort of mini-rave but feel too cut off from life to even bother.

I haven't looked in the mirror in about 1 week which has happened kind of accidentally, but incidentally it's probably the longest I've ever gone without doing so. Felt like it was having a good effect yesterday but I know the next time I do look will be a nightmare.

• Advertisement

ah not doin great. Got a free gaff for two nights and usually I'd defo have some sort of mini-rave but feel too cut off from life to even bother.

I haven't looked in the mirror in about 1 week which has happened kind of accidentally, but incidentally it's probably the longest I've ever gone without doing so. Felt like it was having a good effect yesterday but I know the next time I do look will be a nightmare.

have that mini rave jimmy. could be fun!
    and avoid mirrors at all times!
    they are terrible at lying.

thanks flightplan,
    think i've been a bit cold-y myself last few days. i'm convinced the filthy fly infestation didn't help.they're full of disease them flies.
    yuk.
    great, you get out of that flu and get back to life.
    i'm not sure what will happen tomorrow but i'm not looking forward to it.
    not at all.

fifty :( (Just so you know, I always spell people's names in the way they've signed up :p Can make it a capital F if you like? :D)

Are there no options on the table to make things better? I apologise for not remember the ins and outs of your case, my memory is very random with the anxiety I can remember silly things as sharp as anything but then when there's a pressure to remember I fail :( It's all in there I'm sure..it's just the memory recall / mental energy more than anything.

fifty :( (Just so you know, I always spell people's names in the way they've signed up :p Can make it a capital F if you like? :D)

Are there no options on the table to make things better? I apologise for not remember the ins and outs of your case, my memory is very random with the anxiety I can remember silly things as sharp as anything but then when there's a pressure to remember I fail :( It's all in there I'm sure..it's just the memory recall / mental energy more than anything.

thanks fr336, there is an option to make things better for me, but now my mother is ill again think i might have to go home for a bit again.
    i don't mind if i could help but i know soon i will leave again like before.
    long story, will just try to get thoughts together tonight.

ps i don't mind what i get called!just a random username

thanks fr336, there is an option to make things better for me, but now my mother is ill again think i might have to go home for a bit again.
    i don't mind if i could help but i know soon i will leave again like before.
    long story, will just try to get thoughts together tonight.

ps i don't mind what i get called!just a random username

Don't think of the past or present, it's all about the future. I know this is easier said than done especially with your mum, sorry :(

Don't think of the past or present, it's all about the future. I know this is easier said than done especially with your mum, sorry :(

i know, trying my best to think on the future, keep ending
    up in the past though. but will try to get more alert and think on a way to link both.successfully.there is always a way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Ecstasy come down. This will work wonders for my anxiety in the morning... not. Why do I do this to myself??

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭cookie24

Morning everyone.

Went to interview yesterday :), however I turned up in the wrong place :p.
    After a bit of panic and brisk walking across the city I arrived at the place all sweaty with fogged up glasses.
    Interview begins pretty much straight away. I apologize for disheveled state and we begin. He didn't even offer me a glass of water :mad:

Anyway, once the sweat settled I think it went OK, and even if I dont get the job this is a step I have put off for about 4 years now.

I will treat myself to some drinks tonight....gotta have a few alone before I join friends in town :(. Will try limit that to 4 bottles

Dont wanna say I'm turning a corner, but baby steps will work for me.

Hope everyone enjoys their long weekend

ETA: didn't reply yesterday as I slept from 2 until 8pm. Then watched TV and went to bed at 10. Must have emotionally drained myself.

Ecstasy come down. This will work wonders for my anxiety in the morning... not. Why do I do this to myself??

Best of luck with that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Laois6556

Does anyone else get mood swings. Like sometimes you can actually feel quite happy, sometimes sad, a frustrated/angry type mood, worried, regretful etc. I've just been on cymbalta a short while and hopefully that sorts it out but I'm really disapointed in myself to be back on medication when I thought I was able to get on without it. The feeling of failure isn't nice.
    Then when I think of others in this World who are worse off, starving children, war, disease etc. What am I complaining about? We get too consumed with our own little worries when it's really not all that bad. Just cop on and get on with it or get out.

Laois6556 wrote: »
    Does anyone else get mood swings. Like sometimes you can actually feel quite happy, sometimes sad, a frustrated/angry type mood, worried, regretful etc. I've just been on cymbalta a short while and hopefully that sorts it out but I'm really disapointed in myself to be back on medication when I thought I was able to get on without it. The feeling of failure isn't nice.
    Then when I think of others in this World who are worse off, starving children, war, disease etc. What am I complaining about? We get too consumed with our own little worries when it's really not all that bad. Just cop on and get on with it or get out.

1st world problems :P

What I get, I dont know if they're mood swings. Its just sometimes my anxiety sort of disappears and I can actually enjoy myself.
    Sometimes lying in bed is when I get down, worried, etc thinking bout where my life is going. Thats not a nice place to be.

With my anxiety I cannot function in front of some people (my close friends) cos I know they know I'm anxious and then I get paranoid about what they may be thinking about me.

I think I may have mild bi-polar along with my anxiety. Not huge mood swings but certainly there are times of levity along with most times of anxiety.

Re your meds: I'm not on that so cant offer any advice

• Advertisement

cookie24 wrote: »
    1st world problems :P

What I get, I dont know if they're mood swings. Its just sometimes my anxiety sort of disappears and I can actually enjoy myself.
    Sometimes lying in bed is when I get down, worried, etc thinking bout where my life is going. Thats not a nice place to be.

With my anxiety I cannot function in front of some people (my close friends) cos I know they know I'm anxious and then I get paranoid about what they may be thinking about me.

I think I may have mild bi-polar along with my anxiety. Not huge mood swings but certainly there are times of levity along with most times of anxiety.

Re your meds: I'm not on that so cant offer any advice

Yeah it's when there's too much time to think that the anxiety grows. Well sometimes when there's no time to think the anxiety grows also. No easy solution to our first World problems. :)

Laois6556 wrote: »
    Yeah it's when there's too much time to think that the anxiety grows. Well sometimes when there's no time to think the anxiety grows also. No easy solution to our first World problems. :)

The thing thats gets me the most (start sweating, shaking, blushing, etc) is when I'm introduced to someone in a pub and I can sense my friends looking to see how I'll react.
    Its that vicious circle.....they're looking at me, I get anxious, anxiety symptoms get worse, now they're looking at me making a fool of myself, anxiety gets worse.
    And thats why I avoid those situations unless I'm at least mildly drunk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

One thing I have a problem with is my manner or how others perceive me. Obviously I am anxious but I'm civil and pleasant around others. But recently I've been observing others in how they react to me, a lot of comments in the vein of "calm down" "why are you angry" etc.. I don't understand it. I'm definitely withdrawn and quiet at times in groups, maybe it comes across as antisocial or aloof. A friend said to me I had an "explosive temper" growing up, which I thought was extremely unfair and inaccurate. Bar a few isolate incidents I would rarely lose my temper. I'm very sarcastic and can be very cutting and curt with comments and while I don't mean any malice by it, it had given me food for thought

cookie24 wrote: »
    The thing thats gets me the most (start sweating, shaking, blushing, etc) is when I'm introduced to someone in a pub and I can sense my friends looking to see how I'll react.
    Its that vicious circle.....they're looking at me, I get anxious, anxiety symptoms get worse, now they're looking at me making a fool of myself, anxiety gets worse.
    And thats why I avoid those situations unless I'm at least mildly drunk

Yeah, thinking about what others are thinking is a major problem for everyone with anxiety. Most of the time others aren't thinking about us at all, they're focused on themselves but when in the moment you don't think like that.
    It's the inner voice that we must defeat, the little bollox is always getting us into trouble. If we could tell him to shut up and let our real selves shine then we would win. He's not easy to kill though.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 br27

If you get anxious about talking to people when you get into a conversation you shouldn't care what people then you won't care how they react to you if people can't see that a person is obviously anxious and can't make you feel comfortable then there obviously not worth your time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 GreenwayM

Hi All:

Is this Thread for Social Phobia as well?

Kind Regards

Miriam

GreenwayM wrote: »
    Hi All:

Is this Thread for Social Phobia as well?

Kind Regards

Miriam

Hi, everyone's welcome! Plenty of us have social anxiety.

plenty of us do have social anxiety but really does the worrying about what people think change the outcome of a conversation if the person who you are talking to can't make you feel comfortable then there not worth talking to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 GreenwayM

I only discovered / put a name on my condition 3-4 Years ago . . .

Big Relief but wondering ( as there seem ) to be conflicting opinions . . Is it curable? What is most effective . .

Not on Meds - Doc said that I am better off not to start . . Has caused me drink problems in the past

• Advertisement

the best way to cure it is to start believing in yourself and getting confident in your own skin try to do things out of your comfort zone if you try and talk to people and it turns into a embarrassing moment forget about it but give yours some praise for trying don't beat yourself up nobody is perfect but you putting people up on pedestal isn't right as people aren't as great as they seem or aren't any better than you

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement