Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭cookie24

GreenwayM wrote: »
    I only discovered / put a name on my condition 3-4 Years ago . . .

Big Relief but wondering ( as there seem ) to be conflicting opinions . . Is it curable? What is most effective . .

Not on Meds - Doc said that I am better off not to start . . Has caused me drink problems in the past

my process...
    went to GP and got prozac. It did nothing and eventually was referred to psych.

he kept me on prozac along with CBT. Did nothing.

Next came hypnotherapty. Did nothing really.

Eventually got prescribed valium and anafril, and soon lithium. They seem to be working for me.

Best of luck :)

ETA: also led me to drink a lot in any social setting

• Registered Users Posts: 23 br27

Do you not think that taking tablets and going to the doctor for social anxiety is just reminding you that you have it everyday you take a tablet you are telling yourself you have it wouldn't it just be better for you to live your life without tablets and try and do what makes you happy

br27 wrote: »
    Do you not think that taking tablets and going to the doctor for social anxiety is just reminding you that you have it everyday you take a tablet you are telling yourself you have it wouldn't it just be better for you to live your life without tablets and try and do what makes you happy

Not for me. Caused me not going to college and failing a masters. Regardless of what I told myself and how irrational I know the anxiety is, it was still there holding me back.

Meds, for me, certainly seem to be working. Different for everyone I suppose.

Perhaps I just have a huge ego and am always concerned about what people are thinking about me, even though I know they're not. Irrational but there you go

What I am hoping for is to take the meds until I feel I can cope without them. Once I get a job my confidence will grow. Meeting new people will also grow my confidence.

I want to start attending public speaking classes to also grow my confidence in front of people. There was no chance of that without meds. Once I can talk in front of more than 4 people I will phase out the meds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 GreenwayM

Yes, I would definitely say that I have completely underachieved in my life - professionally and personally . .

I live with my 14 Year Old Daughter and, every day, I pray that she will not be afflicted with the scourge that is SA

I work mostly alone ( over the phone etc. ) - not nice . . . Family Occasions a nightmare - I mainly avoid . . .

Are meds meant for long term use or as a short term help?

• Advertisement

Yes, I would definitely say that I have completely underachieved in my life - professionally and personally . .

I live with my 14 Year Old Daughter and, every day, I pray that she will not be afflicted with the scourge that is SA

I work mostly alone ( over the phone etc. ) - not nice . . . Family Occasions a nightmare - I mainly avoid . . .

Re the meds: not too sure. I'm sure it depends on circumstance.

I would recommend to get your daughter involved in debating or something that involves speaking in front of people. Thats where my anxiety stems from. Even avoided a debate when I was 14, and downhill from there.

cookie24 wrote: »
    What I am hoping for is to take the meds until I feel I can cope without them. Once I get a job my confidence will grow. Meeting new people will also grow my confidence.

I want to start attending public speaking classes to also grow my confidence in front of people. There was no chance of that without meds. Once I can talk in front of more than 4 people I will phase out the meds.

Thats good to hear getting a job will definitely help lift your confidence learn to love yourself and not care what people think just talk to people that make you happy and you feel comfortable talking to

why do you focus on the past why do you focus on what you haven't done in your life focus on the future and try to achieve your goals it doesn't matter your age or what you have done in your past just be positive about the future

Thats good to hear getting a job will definitely help lift your confidence learn to love yourself and not care what people think just talk to people that make you happy and you feel comfortable talking to

I tried that before...going out with the attitude 'duck this, I dont care about these people think, or what they think about me'. Didn't work. Inner voice got the better of me....'they do care, look at them judging you'

Not for me. Caused me not going to college and failing a masters. Regardless of what I told myself and how irrational I know the anxiety is, it was still there holding me back.

Meds, for me, certainly seem to be working. Different for everyone I suppose.

Perhaps I just have a huge ego and am always concerned about what people are thinking about me, even though I know they're not. Irrational but there you go

perhaps you do have a big ego can i ask what were you studying at college

• Advertisement

perhaps you do have a big ego can i ask what were you studying at college

MSc...dont wanna give too many details. Regarding the ego..that was just a throw away comment. I am far too placid and dont have a big ego (I think!!).

I dont think that led to my anxiety, or perhaps it did. I had an image (in primary school) that was slowly destroyed by all my social faux pas....blushing, shaking voice, stuttering, sweating.

I suppose, looking back, I was popular in primary school. Maybe I didn't deal with the transition to secondary well and led to anxiety to preserve my 'image'

About debating etc. - I can actually remember when I was 3-4 Years of age running out of the house and hiding for, what felt like hours, when ANY visitors arrived . . .

I can still picture myself today - off in the distance hiding in an outhouse, behind a wall and watching the house for when they would leave . . . Things haven't changed much

Thank God - I have never noticed anything remotely like this with my daughter . . . I think she's like her Dad . . .

I tried that before...going out with the attitude 'duck this, I dont care about these people think, or what they think about me'. Didn't work. Inner voice got the better of me....'they do care, look at them judging you'

can i ask are you a boy or girl

Here, here . . . The very same . . . Primary school was good for me . . . I can never remember been anxious in school but secondary school was a night mare . . . Didn't like it at all . . .

About debating etc. - I can actually remember when I was 3-4 Years of age running out of the house and hiding for, what felt like hours, when ANY visitors arrived . . .

I can still picture myself today - off in the distance hiding in an outhouse, behind a wall and watching the house for when they would leave . . . Things haven't changed much

Thank God - I have never noticed anything remotely like this with my daughter . . . I think she's like her Dad . . .

Same. Me and my cousin learned Adelweiss (sp) and our granny asked us to sing it together. I ran away and hid.

can i ask are you a boy or girl

boy. A big burly hard tough-as-nails male

MSc...dont wanna give too many details. Regarding the ego..that was just a throw away comment. I am far too placid and dont have a big ego (I think!!).

I dont think that led to my anxiety, or perhaps it did. I had an image (in primary school) that was slowly destroyed by all my social faux pas....blushing, shaking voice, stuttering, sweating.

I suppose, looking back, I was popular in primary school. Maybe I didn't deal with the transition to secondary well and led to anxiety to preserve my 'image'

i was only joking about the big ego i think most people struggle with secondary school but all the name calling and bitching is all down to teenagers feeling self conscience and i think its the same with adults i mean if your happy in your own life and happy with yourself do you really need to be horrible to anyone else people being horrible to other people is all down to self loathing unless of course if someone actually did do something to hurt someone else.

For how debilitating it is, most of us realise it is completely irrational. Its a pity the inner voice is so strong.

I'm in an apt on my own having a few drinks before I go in to meet friends.

boy. A big burly hard tough-as-nails male

you have a sense of humor then do you know what you need to do go find yourself a lady friend to have some fun with then you won't be worrying about what people think sex solves everything as long as you use contraceptive

you have a sense of humor then do you know what you need to do go find yourself a lady friend to have some fun with then you won't be worrying about what people think sex solves everything as long as you use contraceptive

lets hope I get lucky tonight

• Advertisement

Careful with the drink - it brings its own problems . . .

Voice of experience here . . .

Careful with the drink - it brings its own problems . . .

Voice of experience here . . .

I know. Gonna (try to) limit the drink tonight. At least so I can have a conversation at 2am. Not ducked by 12 when you cant even function

lets hope I get lucky tonight

good luck but i think you should get to know a woman first as the one night stand thing isn't as fun have you ever used sex toys there a lot of fun

Can I ask when do people get most anxious/panic attacks? For me its supermarket queues and public transport is where I'm the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

good luck <snip>
    This is not appropriate for this thread. Please consider deleting your post.

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    This is not appropriate for this thread. Please consider deleting your post.

ok sorry about that just trying to lighten the mood

ok sorry about that just trying to lighten the mood
    and really what i write to someone else isn't your business nosey parker

Can I ask when do people get most anxious/panic attacks? For me its supermarket queues and public transport is where I'm the worst.

eat my cookie cookie cookie cookie

eat my cookie cookie cookie cookie

Go on Br27. May I ask if you have depression/anxiety/something similar?

• Advertisement

Go on Br27. May I ask if you have depression/anxiety/something similar?

i am a sex addict and it makes me very depressed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement