Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭bleach94

Suas11 wrote: »
    I've known her a while. Yeah, we have a few interests and things in common. It's more how she'll react is what I'm worried about. I'm afraid of things being awkward if she says no.

Well do you have any inkling that she might be interested? In my (limited) experience, the best thing to do if you want to go out with her is just pick a day and just ask her is she free Tuesday/Saturday/whatever and would she fancy going for a coffee/drink/see a movie? It seems horrible and daunting (trust me, I KNOW it does, it took me ages to ask my girlfriend out) but it's the best way. Do it over text if you really feel nervous, it's what I did and see no problem with it frankly.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭bleach94

CZ 453 wrote: »
    Oakey Dokey.

1. Living at home vs Not living with students?
    Living at home has the obvious advantage of being way cheaper to live. The upside to that is you can afford to go out every night, if that's your thing. The downside to having to share and rent is that you get very little sleep with all the partying.Partying that you'll benefit from if you just crash the place anyway. And Sex...without having to play ninja getting past your mammy and daddy. There are plenty of horror stories about living with other students.

2.Not connecting with students on Interests/Hobbies?
    Don't just stick to finding friends that are students. There is no need for it. Focus on the hobbies and Join groups in the college or outside it relating to those hobbies. This will give you confidence in college. You'll also find new interests as you go through college and life. So you don't have to box yourself off to the interests you currently have.

3.On peripheral or out groups?
    People love the underdog or the wildcard. Being on the peripheral isn't actually that bad. You can come and go as you please. You don't have to conform. Who doesn't love the fonz??? Be unique. Enjoy it. You'll soon find that groups or gangs fizzle out after college anyway.

4.Frustrated with being quiet?
    You weren't quiet when you met the missus. It's probably not as bad as you think. Do you want to be popular?

5.Nervous with new relationship(first time)?
    Relax with this anyway. She's probably as nervous as you are. It's early days. Wait and see what you've in common. You really don't have to do anything. Just be nice to her regardless of how things go.

6.Not enough close friends to talk about missus to?
    Plenty of people on here. You're anonymous. Say what you can. Close friends(good friends) pop up at different stages of your life. It just happens. No one goes out looking for best friends and finds them.

7. Sister isn't well
    Sorry to hear about this. Talk to her as much as you can. She may have went through the same as yourself. Talk to your parents as well. You're not a problem. That's a part of family life. Trust and Love.

8.Missed chances to talk to peers?
    I think everyone in the world had this at one time or another. I bet you thought you'd speak and a load of gobbledy gook would come out?

A few things..

1. I don't know if it is my thing, I just feel a bit resentful of living so far away from potential new friends and I think my family are starting to bear the brunt of that. 'Alone' time with my girlfriend is tough to come by also as she is in a similar situation.

3/4. I don't mind being on the outside, I think it suits me. But I also feel lonely at times as many people in college seem to have groups to attend things with, plan summers with etc, whereas I don't as much. I don't want to be popular, but I don't want to fade out and be at the back of everyone's mind. Sometimes it'd be nice to be at the front.

Think the relationship thing will be fine, we do love each other and I guess I'm finding that situation overwhelming/overthinking things as its my first proper relationship.

Talking anonymously has helped already. I don't feel I need a whole load of help, just a little.

And yes, I feel fearful of speaking sometimes due to 'gobbledy-gook' syndrome and stumbling over my words/not knowing what to say.

Thanks for your help and advice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,888 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

bleach94 wrote: »
    Well do you have any inkling that she might be interested? In my (limited) experience, the best thing to do if you want to go out with her is just pick a day and just ask her is she free Tuesday/Saturday/whatever and would she fancy going for a coffee/drink/see a movie? It seems horrible and daunting (trust me, I KNOW it does, it took me ages to ask my girlfriend out) but it's the best way. Do it over text if you really feel nervous, it's what I did and see no problem with it frankly.

Well we've talked a bit and she's said stuff like I'm funny and things like that, so I guess she seems to like me as a person. I'll try asking her out for a drink or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭handbagmad

Some gremlin demons in my brain today..

Got pen n paper just started writing stuff down. Non of it makes sense.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

Quotation-Robert-M-Pirsig-mountains-Meetville-Quotes-272303.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

thought i'd join in on this thread..

i'v been having ''breathing difficulties'' for the last few weeks which the doctor thinks may be panic attacks. i'v only realised i'm suffering from anxiety. it's crippling me at the moment. i'm even having panic attacks on my way into college most mornings.. out of the blue like.. watched love/hate tonight and ever since i feel panicked for some reason...

the doctor just told me to go back to him in 2 months time but i think i may need medication.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Caprica6

carzony wrote: »
    thought i'd join in on this thread..

i'v been having ''breathing difficulties'' for the last few weeks which the doctor thinks may be panic attacks. i'v only realised i'm suffering from anxiety. it's crippling me at the moment. i'm even having panic attacks on my way into college most mornings.. out of the blue like.. watched love/hate tonight and ever since i feel panicked for some reason...

the doctor just told me to go back to him in 2 months time but i think i may need medication.

Docters are iffy about medicating people esp young encase of becoming dependent.

I have been denied even basic sleeping pills tis a balls

Also Hey I am kinda new on here and currently going through a black period I guess

Caprica6 wrote: »
    Docters are iffy about medicating people esp young encase of becoming dependent.

I have been denied even basic sleeping pills tis a balls

surely if you need then, you need them.. surely it'd be better than having panic attacks 3 times a day

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Freezing!!

carzony wrote: »
    surely if you need then, you need them.. surely it'd be better than having panic attacks 3 times a day

It's unlikely that you'll be given anything that will have an immediate impact. You'll probably be given SSRIs, which do not act fast but they will help you in the long term.

• Advertisement

Doctors think you need to give it time first, they generally hope it will go away on it own, sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't, they don't like to dole out the meds in the first meeting. They may even recommend breathing exercises for you or use a brown paper bag to help when you having an attack at first

Just depends on the doc and their opinion I am afraid!

Doctors think you need to give it time first, they generally hope it will go away on it own, sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't, they don't like to dole out the meds in the first meeting. They may even recommend breathing exercises for you or use a brown paper bag to help when you having an attack at first

That's what's happened so far mate. Have only met with him once and I was suprised how casual things have been

He took lots of tests to make sure i was healthy. He called me and told me the results were ok and asked how i was. i told him things were worse and he said '' come back in 2 months time''

Well least the tests were ok :) I know your possibly miffed even frustrated but he just doesn't want to give you pill unless its a last resort, I had panic attacks years ago granted I don't think they were cripplingly major and they fecked of after a few years. A lot of people get them.

The more you work yourself up the worse you make it on yourself unfortunately it can't be helped sometimes. Try do what he suggested least you tried if its not for you then go back for the pills.

Well least the tests were ok :) I know your possibly miffed even frustrated but he just doesn't want to give you pill unless its a last resort, I had panic attacks years ago granted I don't think they were cripplingly major and they fecked of after a few years. A lot of people get them.

The more you work yourself up the worse you make it on yourself unfortunately it can't be helped sometimes. Try do what he suggested least you tried if its not for you then go back for the pills.

my problem is battling it for the whole day.. 6 hours trying to stay calm isnt easy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Did your doctor just send you away or did he ask you to try some things in the meantime? Did he give you some exercises or did he suggest going to a counsellor? If he didn't suggest anything else I would consider that irresponsible and I would suggest you go to another doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Got my first meeting with the psychotherapist tonight. A little nervous I guess.

Feel in a bit of a funk today but can't really put my finger on why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

I came off my medication about a month ago. I've been having ups and downs. Some days I feel great, am so glad I'm off my meds n feel really proud of myself and then other days I just get so down about things n can't get back up. Like today, I'm just so so angry and I don't know why. My little girl has been screaming all day n I just want to burst. I can't stand it. I'm going to crack up. I live with my mam so get plenty of help so feel guilty for even feeling like I'm struggling. I hate that they come in from work n can make her smile n laugh when she just cries around me. My step father makes me feel extra guilty for the help i get. My job is really really getting me down but I'm a single mother so I need to work. I don't know if the anger and low mood is a sign of my moods or if it's just now and again. I can't distinguish if it's because I've come off my medication. I have no money for the doc, I'm just over the threshold for medical card n tbh the reason I stopped my meds was because I couldn't afford them. I would like to use exercise as a stimulant for serotonin but it's so exhausting to even get through a day sometimes that I have no extra ambition to exercise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

Hi. Thanks for posting.
    What age is your little one? I have a small girl who is 2 and I mind her on my own for three days. I would get the same way sometimes as she is very busy. Best bet is to just take little time outs. If i'm upset or feeling down she picks up on it. I suspect that's the same for you. The bond between a mother and child being even closer. I'd bet she'd be a lot different with you if you felt a bit better in yourself.

Have you tried counselling? How's your diet?
    Could you start with some light walks?

She's 15 months. She's starting to defy me and it's so frustrating because she's still young enough that she doesn't fully understand but I feel like tearing my hair out. I try and take time out but she just screams n that makes me more tense. The only time out I get is when she sleeps n a lot of the time I feel I'm watching the clock waiting for nap/bed time :(

I'm currently in cbt, I have been for the last 2 years. I've cut it down to once a month as I thought I was ready but maybe I'm not. Feel like a failure for still needing it. There's a lot of stuff going on for me at the moment.

My diet is awful. That's another thing that gets me down - n I'm terrified my little girl is gonna end up obese because of me. Even though I do cut her up fruit, n rarely give her junk, I just wish I could put the same care into my own diet.

I walk nearly every day but I feel I need to get fit. I'm very overweight so another thing to make me too reluctant to do some exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭CZ 453

loubian wrote: »
    She's 15 months. She's starting to defy me and it's so frustrating because she's still young enough that she doesn't fully understand but I feel like tearing my hair out. I try and take time out but she just screams n that makes me more tense. The only time out I get is when she sleeps n a lot of the time I feel I'm watching the clock waiting for nap/bed time :(

I'm currently in cbt, I have been for the last 2 years. I've cut it down to once a month as I thought I was ready but maybe I'm not. Feel like a failure for still needing it. There's a lot of stuff going on for me at the moment.

My diet is awful. That's another thing that gets me down - n I'm terrified my little girl is gonna end up obese because of me. Even though I do cut her up fruit, n rarely give her junk, I just wish I could put the same care into my own diet.

I walk nearly every day but I feel I need to get fit. I'm very overweight so another thing to make me too reluctant to do some exercise.

Can you ask your family to take over for a day. Just enough to get some rest. You sound like you really need a break. Maybe go for a swim and clear your head.

No harm in still doing CBT. No failure in it. You're grand there.

If you're walking everyday then your diet is the main problem at the moment. Have you tried doing a plan or motivations or something like that? A little weight loss would be a great kick start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭fiftythree

hello, loubian, hope you can work things out,
    it seems to me a sorry state of affairs that the cost of medication would stop someone from being able to get help.
    but it is the current state of affairs no matter what i think.
    good luck to you.

not a reference to me once having a woman or anything like that...
    i just love the particular sound of this slow blues track.
    just on the off chance that anyone reading this thread might listen to it and enjoy it.
    it's not really that slow, which is what i like about it, but the vibe is slow.
    enjoy, or disgard, at your leisure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭CZ 453

What's the story 53?

What's the story 53?

i'm ok cz.
    awful situation with accommodation.

otherwise quite complicated too to be honest.

listen to that tune if you can, even a minute of it, it's truly beautiful:)
    i love it:D

been reading over the rental agreement for my house in which there are problems.
    just met another flatmate on the stairs now on the way from the bathroom.
    he and eveyone else feels intimidated by the still present
    heroin addict(only 1 left now) in the living room.
    i reckon from the lease i can not pay rent for 3 weeks and just sacrifice deposit. looks like my best option.

there is all sorts of talk like the houses etc belong to underground organisations.
    you know how it can be in the north. they tell you stuff to intimidate you.
    i reckon if i give them notice i will never see deposit back so tell them eg
    my money is late coming through, will pay you in 3 weeks...then disappear.
    it is dishonest yes but christ this kind of thing doesn't deserve honesty.
    people are frightened to go into the kitchen with an addict shooting up in there.

rent was due today but didn't pay as stipulates in contract,
    mine is til april, that if early termination then no deposit returning will be going on.
    sorry guys don't want to make this a rent law thread, just replied in bits to cz

Why stay where you are(in the city)? Are you from there?

Some lovely places up North- Banbridge, Derry, Newcastle and Enniskillen(bit quiet but nice).

i am very very far from being from here.
    was a means to an end.
    i got very unlucky with where i lived.
    not the location so much, more the other tenants and landlord.
    looking into in the future living in derry and commuting.
    this place is a bloody joke.
    at least 8 people to a 5 person max house. by law.
    a lad doing heroin and coke and god knows what else in
    the living room oftentimes with his mates asked around.
    hanging around with the blessing of the landlord.
    how do i know who else seemingly at random has a key?
    people who don't know how to use a western lavatory.
    so as it stands the kitchen, living room, bathroom,
    all are out of bounds for me.
    sorry about the rant guys.

listening to the blues this evening.
    give this a minute...see if you like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭handbagmad

Hi 53
    was just thinking how were you. Didn't see U post for a bit.

• Advertisement

handbagmad wrote: »
    Hi 53
    was just thinking how were you. Didn't see U post for a bit.

thank you.
    i didn't post for a while alright was quite sick,
    been in bed for a few days. think i just felt a bit run down with all the stress
    really. family stuff and my accommodation nightmare:eek:
    you ok handbag. go listen to that jimi hendrix track it's beautiful:)
    hope you are alright.how's things?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement