Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flying within US while on holiday visa?

Options
  • 18-06-2014 3:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hey,

Can't find the answer to this anywhere. I'm currently in the US on a holiday visa. I'll be here for 2 weeks. After the first week I'd like to fly somewhere else (also within the US) for the weekend and then back to my original location for the second week. Is this allowed?

If so, do I need to notify anyone or apply via something like ESTA again? Or can I just book my flight, arrive at the airport, and go?

Kinda need info on this asap so any would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭biddywiddy

Yes, this is allowed. Bring your passport for ID and you're all set. You won't pass through immigration (so no need to worry about VWP or ESTA) as long as you stay within the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Yup. You just need ID, so bring your passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Not alone can you fly around the US, you're also allowed to travel to Canada, Mexico and the 'adjacent islands' and return to the US within the 90 days you get using the original travel permit. Note that the clock doesn't stop if you temporarily leave the US and return again so trips outside the US to any of those territories count as part of your 90 day permit.

While in the U.S., you may go to Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean and Adjacent Islands and re-enter the U.S. using the I-94 admission notation you were issued on your VWP passport when you first arrived in the U.S., although the time you spend there is included in the 90 days allotted for your visit.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/194/~/visa-waiver-program---eligible-countries

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

^^ is that a new thing? i was sure i heard of people hopping across the border and back in to the US again with a fresh 90 day permit?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Jasonsc

Fantastic thanks for the info!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

^^ is that a new thing? i was sure i heard of people hopping across the border and back in to the US again with a fresh 90 day permit?

Nope not a new thing if you dont give back your I94W then the clock dont stop. If you hand in the I94W then you can get a new one on re-entry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

jjbrien wrote: »
    Nope not a new thing if you dont give back your I94W then the clock dont stop. If you hand in the I94W then you can get a new one on re-entry.

well you don't hand in your i-94w anymore, not even on a visa

We crossed the border into Tijuana last year for the day from San Diego. Our passports were scanned, but not stamped for re-entry, so we never really left the US as far as immigration is concerned. I was less upset about that, than not getting a mexican stamp on my passport :D

They closed that loophole a long time ago about hopping over the border to reset your days.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I was going to include this paragraph in my post above but took it out cause I thought it was giving the OP more info than he needed, here it is with the relevant sentence emboldened by me. It's the paragraph immediately following the one I included in my post above....

If you go to Canada and Mexico or the Caribbean, and while you are there, your initial 90-day period of entry expires, but you need to come back in to the U.S. to fly home, you may encounter a problem. The terms of the VWP are very clear - it is only to be used for occasional, short visits to the U.S. If the CBP Officer thinks you are trying to "reset" the clock by making a short trip out of the U.S. and re-entering for another 90-day period, you can be denied entry. (If that happens, you will have to obtain a visa for any future travel to the U.S.) In order to be re-admitted to the U.S. shortly after a previous admission expired, you will have to convince a CBP Officer that you are not trying to "game" the system

Advertisement