Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need a quick opinion on a bike

• 18-06-2014 6:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I've just come back from a test ride on this bike: LINK

Just wanted an opinion on a couple of things.

1: The bike doesn't appear to have a manual/service log. The guys at the shop know where the bike was serviced and that garage, using it's records, is happy to get a new log, stamp and sign the kms when the bike was serviced.

2: The bike only appears to have one key. I've asked them to look for the other one.

3: The tires are getting towards the worn side and in particular to my untrained eye there doesn't appear to be much of a 'chicken strip' (I don't know if this really is anything to worry about but suggests it has been potentially driven hard/chucked into corners).

The bike rode well, I was comfortable on it and there doesn't appear to be anything mechanically out of place with it. Given the points above should alarm bells be ringing? I'm concerned that a 2012 bike with circa 5k on the clock is missing it's service paper work and a key.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

Hard to day without seeing it in the flesh, re the tyres, there's not much chicken strip left on my Africa twins but I wouldn't ride that hard, maybe negotiate the price of the tyres into the deal, definitely get the keys you should have got from new, at that mileage I wouldn't worry to much about the service log just make sure you get one that's stamped up to date with the service done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

semi sport motorcycle ridden hard and chucked into corners.. walk away :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I would not be looking to much into the service history TBH, you can get 10 yr old bikes that have been very well looked after and they would run better then new bikes that have been neglected. You will know from the overall look of the bike if it has been looked after, its great if the service history is there but it would not be a deal breaker for me.

Make sure the bike is "Fully Serviced" before you buy it and get an extended warranty for lack of Service History. Take her for another test ride too might show up something you missed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

A 2012 bike with under 6k km without a service history isn't a problem imho. probably had a running in service and isn't even due it's first proper service yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Yeah garage that serviced it is going to stamp and sign a new book to show the services it has had (1k and 5k).

I'm personally a stickler for paperwork. Have all mine safely kept so I guess it concerned me as I don't know how you'd lose them and to be fair, this is the second thing I've ever bought from a dealer so I'm not particularly au fait with the entire process.

I'm going back tomorrow, will give it another going over and I guess as long as the money is right I'll have a nice new shiny bike. I did get a look at the new Vstrom whilst I was there..... Tis a beast of a machine... I'll have a hard time not wanting one once used ones start coming onto the market.

Thanks for the advice lads.

• Advertisement
Advertisement