Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Grain price.

1171819202123»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,273 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Base price wrote: »
    WBS straw has been baled in the best possible conditions this year. Some of our younger suppliers have never seen such perfect conditions.

In Ireland bales of straw/hay are not usually sold by weight so unless you have a supplier willing to sell by weigh then you just have to judge the density of the bales as best you can. I would assume that the drier the straw the more compact it will bale but it also depends on if it is a belt or roller baler.

Here is a link to bale weights as per Teagasc guidlines - https://www.teagasc.ie/media/website/animals/dairy/Bale_size.pdf

Local contractor bales a great bale but I cant seem to get bales that have even 75% of the straw from dealers.....don't know how they even keep them on the lorries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

wrangler wrote: »
    Local contractor bales a great bale but I cant seem to get bales that have even 75% of the straw from dealers.....don't know how they even keep them on the lorries

When we were selling straw a few years ago we had a local lad who used to do the straw baling. He usually wanted payment in straw which was handy. He ran a three quarters fcuked Krone. Great sellers bale from it though.
    Another neighbour who ran his own baler bought straw on the flat by the bale iykwim. Should have seen it coming. He was getting 7 bales where anyone else would get 10. All you could do was laugh at it. Got completely turned over on that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,273 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

When we were selling straw a few years ago we had a local lad who used to do the straw baking. He usually wanted payment in straw which was handy. He ran a three quarters fcuked Krone. Great sellers bale from it though.
    Another neighbour who ran his own valet bought straw on the flat by the bale iykwim. Should have seen it coming. He was getting 7 bales where anyone else would get 10. All you could do was laugh at it. Got completely turned over on that one.

even for storage in sheds these fluffy bale are non runners, sometimes my contractor couldn't give me enough and it used to break my heart to deal with these guys so I just give the local guy what he asks....loyalty might pay off this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

wrangler wrote: »
    even for storage in sheds these fluffy bale are non runners, sometimes my contractor couldn't give me enough and it used to break my heart to deal with these guys so I just give the local guy what he asks....loyalty might pay off this year

There's an inverse relationship there between how well made bales are and how good the buyer tells you they are. If he volunteers at the start of the "where did you get the straw" conversation that "they're great bales fierce well made" you can be sure he bought them over the phone and you'd put your fist through the middle of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭st1979

The cheaper the bale the better the bale in my experience. A lad who sells cheap doesn't put huge value on the Straw crop.
    The ones who always want near top of market are too cute to make a heavy bale

Advertisement