Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Grain price.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Patrickheg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

micraX wrote: »
    Ok what ever you's say, I'll make sure to bump this trend in a few months or a year or 2, and see how all the boys are doing:)

Hopefully we will all still be here. Sure with the price of veg we wont starve anyway.

The creamerys will take the good out of it. Even if the world market is good as long as they can get enough milk they will pay as little as possible for it. And if lads have signed contracts they can do what they like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭GRASSorMUCK

Patrickheg wrote: »

Nowt new of stores, silo bins don't really work for cereals as inclined to 'sweat' needing alot more care and blowing. Ok for corn maybe?

My boss bought an old factory and warehouse on a buisness park that backs on to the farm gutted them out, re-roofed them and laid new polished floor. then put in pre-stressed pannels around the side to give significant storage as well as built some more stores on the new site with our new drier/cleaner. Problem with huge piles of grain is it's impossible to seperate different quality grains eg high protein wheat vs low with out alot of panels. Rented out extra capacity as commercial store to a company that stores Osr and as a gathering point for exporting crops mainly wheat but they mainly just tip in shed. Farm is due to take more land back over 20yr so future proofed and renting out space will pay off entire build in 12 years.

80ton/hr svegma drier, 60th/ph rotary cleaner with 500ton wet bins, 120t/ph scandia conveyors into store with elevators rated to 200t/ph but never get close really as risk of blocking
    Pic 1

Examle of how we seperate grains
    Pic 2/3

The osr heap :eek:, when full heap reaches roof of shed so we have fun climbing heap and sliding down as osr flows very freely.
    pic 4/5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

Nowt new of stores, silo bins don't really work for cereals as inclined to 'sweat' needing alot more care and blowing. Ok for corn maybe?

My boss bought an old factory and warehouse on a buisness park that backs on to the farm gutted them out, re-roofed them and laid new polished floor. then put in pre-stressed pannels around the side to give significant storage as well as built some more stores on the new site with our new drier/cleaner. Problem with huge piles of grain is it's impossible to seperate different quality grains eg high protein wheat vs low with out alot of panels. Rented out extra capacity as commercial store to a company that stores Osr and as a gathering point for exporting crops mainly wheat but they mainly just tip in shed. Farm is due to take more land back over 20yr so future proofed and renting out space will pay off entire build in 12 years.

80ton/hr svegma drier, 60th/ph rotary cleaner with 500ton wet bins, 120t/ph scandia conveyors into store with elevators rated to 200t/ph but never get close really as risk of blocking
    Pic 1

Pic 2/3

The osr heap :eek:, when full heap reaches roof of shed so we have fun climbing heap and sliding down as osr flows very freely.
    pic 4/5

That's some set up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 752 ✭✭✭micraX

Pic 1

Pic 2/3

pic 4/5

Some set up there:0. Where is that?

That's some set up!

The previous management built the stores on waste ground in the yard, full of springs...... which soaked into grain and rusted out elevators, after heavy rain occasionally the elevator and reception pit filled with water. Wasn't maling same mistake twice

micraX wrote: »
    Some set up there:0. Where is that?

St Noets area, Cambridgeshire uk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭sheebadog

Tucked into proper barley today. Got a demo of this today.
    Moisture = 13.2%
    Bushel = 68.5 kg/hl
    Yield. = 7.6 t/ha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

sheebadog wrote: »
    Tucked into proper barley today. Got a demo of this today.
    Moisture = 13.2%
    Bushel = 68.5 kg/hl
    Yield. = 7.6 t/ha.

Woould ye say that's the minimum yeild ye need to make money from tillage - sfp?
    What ye make if the new Holland. Lad next door here buys new one every 3 seasons. 34ft header on one he has now.

Woould ye say that's the minimum yeild ye need to make money from tillage - sfp?
    What ye make if the new Holland. Lad next door here buys new one every 3 seasons. 34ft header on one he has now.

I work on cost per ton into store.

Wouldn't like the New Holland. It's a CX and a dirty sample.

• Advertisement

I work on cost per ton into store.

Wouldn't like the New Holland. It's a CX and a dirty sample.

Would it still be a viable enterprise for you if Sfp was gone in morn?
    Grain would prob become very dear to compensate?

Would it still be a viable enterprise for you if Sfp was gone in morn?
    Grain would prob become very dear to compensate?

Problem in Ireland is the SFP goes to landlords and machinery dealers.

Have any of ye seen hailstones like these?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭Lambofdave

Much damage done?

Don't get me started on landlords and sfp

Lambofdave wrote: »
    Much damage done?

Don't get me started on landlords and sfp

Plenty. Roof tiles on houses, cars bodywork and windscreens, shed roofs etc.
    Serious crop damage. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

Will you tell the driver to keep a little more to his right or he'll be all day

Will you tell the driver to keep a little more to his right or he'll be all day

Playing with auto steer.

Hail damage to fibrocement sheeting in machinery shed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Hail damage to fibrocement sheeting in machinery shed.

Jesus thats something else :eek: . Is that a complete freak of nature of has anything else happened like it in the last few years ? Did I hear ye got over 2" of rain in an hour aswell ?

• Advertisement

moy83 wrote: »
    Jesus thats something else :eek: . Is that a complete freak of nature of has anything else happened like it in the last few years ? Did I hear ye got over 2" of rain in an hour aswell ?

Happens every 5 to10 years. No such look with the rain here though. We only got 15mm. Better than a kick from a donkey I suppose.

Would you have hail insurance? or would that just be high value crops like veg etc?
    Much yeild lost?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

Happens every 5 to10 years. No such look with the rain here though. We only got 15mm. Better than a kick from a donkey I suppose.

Got more rain than us 10 mm

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭conor t

blue5000 wrote: »

Looks like it could go close to breaking 1200c yet

Wheat yesterday meeting all specs plus now demanding over 11.6% protein = € 161/ton.

• Advertisement

Would you have hail insurance? or would that just be high value crops like veg etc?
    Much yeild lost?

Yes insured. Hard fought to get fair pay though.

Yes insured. Hard fought to get fair pay though.

Based on 5 year average yields or number plucked from the sky job? or head count+grains m2+ average bushel over a few areas of fields?

I spied you have an axial flow in previous pic? good combine very simple but a bugger to change those drum plates iirc? :D. Run the sterio-typical big lexion but some times 2 axial flows going like stink in dry crops is very attractive. Only thing don't always get dry seasons and nowt will touch a lexion in slightly moist/wet crop, others are very comparable in dry stuff mind!

Based on 5 year average yields or number plucked from the sky job? or head count+grains m2+ average bushel over a few areas of fields?

I spied you have an axial flow in previous pic? good combine very simple but a bugger to change those drum plates iirc? :D. Run the sterio-typical big lexion but some times 2 axial flows going like stink in dry crops is very attractive. Only thing don't always get dry seasons and nowt will touch a lexion in slightly moist/wet crop, others are very comparable in dry stuff mind!

Worked out on a sq metre basis but the problem is that the damage is not uniform across the fields. I didn't want to get into a maths type argument but no other choice. I'm after finding out that the best insurers are the ones with the most lenient accessors.

Bang on nothing touches a Lexion for cutting green strawed (lodged?), high moisture wheat. They are in a league of their own at that craic and can't be beaten.
    Harvesting at sub 14 moistures is a doddle and can even make a Laverda look high capacity!

Wheat @ 16% moisture so may get started tomorrow if no more precipitation.

Depressing, of our worst by fields patch where 'someone' missed doing pre-em. I call it a control strip about to be flailed out.

What are wheat yield expectations this year?

• Advertisement

Depressing

Wow! That's really bad.
    Return to spring cropping? Or even return to lea?

Yields I will know in the next few days, but I'm hoping for 8.5 to 9 tons/ha.
    My only concern is the grain is small - it reminds me of the variety Soissons that I used to grow back in the day. Small grains don't bust barns.

Yep will go into ley for few years, that headlands always wet over winter suffered this year but decent crop of feed wheat in it hopefully but basically spent the income on herbicides this year with price as they are iykwim. Guess shows pre ems worth the spend but think need milling/ biscuit wheat premiums to make it pay.
    Good enough yields then, what varieties would ye have in France? Leeds, crusoe, gallant, xi19, Santiago mainly this harvest here. Started rape dessi action only today as waiting for blocks to even up, 10 days maybe

Yep will go into ley for few years, that headlands always wet over winter suffered this year but decent crop of feed wheat in it hopefully but basically spent the income on herbicides this year with price as they are iykwim. Guess shows pre ems worth the spend but think need milling/ biscuit wheat premiums to make it pay.
    Good enough yields then, what varieties would ye have in France? Leeds, crusoe, gallant, xi19, Santiago mainly this harvest here. Started rape dessi action only today as waiting for blocks to even up, 10 days maybe

Varieties I've planted this year are Hystar(hyb), Hyxtra(hyb), Altigo,Scenario, Campero and Rubisko.
    Of all these varieties I really rate Rubisko. Unreal amount of good sized ears and good to stand. You could nearly walk on top of the crop and good on disease too. It's a variety I'd like to see grown in Ireland or the UK.
    The rest are ok for France but would break you further north. Altigo is the worst standing power I've seen since semi dwarf wheats came about.
    Last year on hybrids also.
    I've grown Santiago, Crusoe and Gallant. I wouldn't rate them but Gallant is very useful in a second wheat slot.
    OSR is finished harvest round here with very satisfactory yields at circa 4.4ton/ha.
    OSR in the UK looking promising ?

Will Irish tillage farmers ever so land in grass for a few yrs?
    We get on well with one lad here big operator.
    Wheat/OSR and oats

Will Irish tillage farmers ever so land in grass for a few yrs?
    We get on well with one lad here big operator.
    Wheat/OSR and oats

Greengrass loves grass!!
    There is a new protein top up of €250/ha and maybe this will include lucerne(?).
    With good deep free draining soil lucerne may work in Ireland. He does the producing and you do the feeding..... Just an idea.

That rotation he uses would be a bit tight for my liking.

Greengrass loves grass!!
    There is a new protein top up of €250/ha and maybe this will include lucerne(?).
    With good deep free draining soil lucerne may work in Ireland. He does the producing and you do the feeding..... Just an idea.

That rotation he uses would be a bit tight for my liking.

He wouldn't sow a lot of oats now majority idms wheat and OSR.
    Whear this yr then gets hen maure and into OSR and then into wheat again.
    He would have well over 2k acres.
    Some yrs we swap dung for straw with him if we have too much.
    Be a nice idea if he did put a %in grass for a few yrs

He wouldn't sow a lot of oats now majority idms wheat and OSR.
    Whear this yr then gets hen maure and into OSR and then into wheat again.
    He would have well over 2k acres.
    Some yrs we swap dung for straw with him if we have too much.
    Be a nice idea if he did put a %in grass for a few yrs

OSR wheat OSR. Now that's tight. Could be storing up some future trouble.
    If the protein top up covers lucerne it might be worth mentioning it to him.
    Lucerne puts grass in the ha penny place. It lasts for 4 to 6 years and you get between 4 to 6 cuts p.a.
    Leaves ground very rich also.

OSR wheat OSR. Now that's tight. Could be storing up some future trouble.
    If the protein top up covers lucerne it might be worth mentioning it to him.
    Lucerne puts grass in the ha penny place. It lasts for 4 to 6 years and you get between 4 to 6 cuts p.a.
    Leaves ground very rich also.

What do you mean he might have problems further down the road?
    I was thinking of asking about getting while crop next yr so might ask him about his greening and see what he says

What do you mean he might have problems further down the road?
    I was thinking of asking about getting while crop next yr so might ask him about his greening and see what he says

IMO that rotation is too tight. But that's his own business.
    Greening????

• Advertisement

IMO that rotation is too tight. But that's his own business.
    Greening????

What issue do you think it will cause?
    Its a new yoke come in to Ireland. Effects tillage farmers. Not really concern to grassland farmers.
    Tillage farmers from what I've hears need 3 crops and some grassland.
    Someone else here might have better details on it than me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

What issue do you think it will cause?
    Its a new yoke come in to Ireland. Effects tillage farmers. Not really concern to grassland farmers.
    Tillage farmers from what I've hears need 3 crops and some grassland.
    Someone else here might have better details on it than me

Does wild oats count as one ?

3 crops rule won't affect most lads in Ireland. Not like here we're you could walk into a 1,000 a Acre block of one variety of osr realy.
    The cursed osr/ww rotation is short sighted and stupid to use and the cause of the uk's bg epidemic. My friend does believe he's seen bg in a field after uk purchased linseed seed in Kildare this year. Whole cropped. If you look at those 2 pics I posted greengrass that's a patch of uncontrolled black grass, the entire field would look like that only for I spent over 160 pounds/ha on herbicides.
    Tillage farmers don't want to be ' cow shaggers' and stockmen won't pay enough for forage.

3 crops rule won't affect most lads in Ireland. Not like here we're you could walk into a 1,000 a Acre block of one variety of osr realy.
    The cursed osr/ww rotation is short sighted and stupid to use and the cause of the uk's bg epidemic. My friend does believe he's seen bg in a field after uk purchased linseed seed in Kildare this year. Whole cropped. If you look at those 2 pics I posted greengrass that's a patch of uncontrolled black grass, the entire field would look like that only for I spent over 160 pounds/ha on herbicides.
    Tillage farmers don't want to be ' cow shaggers' and stockmen won't pay enough for forage.
    Seen that photo alright. Big losses I'd say if you lost a considerable area and the cist of spray mist be serious.
    I get what your saying re cow men not wanting to pay. But if I got WC for same price as what it would cost me to grow a crop of silage and then have ground tied up I could graze cows on I'd jump at the chance.
    A lot if guys in my area and I'm sure you remember too grew a lot of sugar beet and most are limited now to what they can grow to get the most money they can

Seen that photo alright. Big losses I'd say if you lost a considerable area and the cist of spray mist be serious.
    I get what your saying re cow men not wanting to pay. But if I got WC for same price as what it would cost me to grow a crop of silage and then have ground tied up I could graze cows on I'd jump at the chance.
    A lot if guys in my area and I'm sure you remember too grew a lot of sugar beet and most are limited now to what they can grow to get the most money they can

With all due respect GG, 125 units/acre N grows silage but that's only for openers for w. wheat. Plus seed, herbicide, fungicide etc.
    Maybe you would like to inherit his land as well?? :)

Just unsustainable and yet guys get big contractors in over here who grow ww osr to make rents pay making the problem worse iykwim. My problem is previous management let a huge seedbank develope without tackling it, but the boss recognises we need to now atleast, costs alot in yield and that also.

I know what your saying i want alot and you want to pay little as possible :D. If you could look at using clover swards and cow poo for straw deals and point out benefits that are there just not in monetary terms like say the yield benefit after a 3 year grass ley and there's more nutrients than just npk in slurry etc as once you get a mineral deficiency you've already suffered lost yield as can happen so fast might go un noticed for a few days/weeks?! even. Another thing is once field over here gets riddled with disease every field down wind will also be riddled where as if you've grass field breaks will help to slow progress of disease... As for money most guys about you grow for malting except your neighbour, don't ask me for their costing etc but as you say greenings will affect some of them so maybe a few black and whites will be appearing in rotation?!

With all due respect GG, 125 units/acre N grows silage but that's only for openers for w. wheat. Plus seed, herbicide, fungicide etc.
    Maybe you would like to inherit his land as well?? :)

Costs me way more than that to grow two crops of silage. Low p and k here (legacy of previous owner) so I need to spread a lot if p and k.
    I'd prefer get my own land in shape before I go grabbing :)

Varieties I've planted this year are Hystar(hyb), Hyxtra(hyb), Altigo,Scenario, Campero and Rubisko.
    Of all these varieties I really rate Rubisko. Unreal amount of good sized ears and good to stand. You could nearly walk on top of the crop and good on disease too. It's a variety I'd like to see grown in Ireland or the UK.
    The rest are ok for France but would break you further north. Altigo is the worst standing power I've seen since semi dwarf wheats came about.
    Last year on hybrids also.
    I've grown Santiago, Crusoe and Gallant. I wouldn't rate them but Gallant is very useful in a second wheat slot.
    OSR is finished harvest round here with very satisfactory yields at circa 4.4ton/ha.
    OSR in the UK looking promising ?

Last season seed was tight in supply again so we grew some reliables realy, they alway did okay for us iykwm. Gallant will be cut in weeks though got hit badly by disease, even though was given a chtl/tebuconazole boost for rust. :rolleyes:

Osr is like the wheat, some crap where sat wet all winter, some very good parts and some places riddled in bg i probably should have flailed as all it did to the kerb was laugh at it.
    I'd reckon overall average of yours would be likely with some highs and lows being honest, alot of thistles in crops this year, must do better next year but overall happy, ish

Just unsustainable and yet guys get big contractors in over here who grow ww osr to make rents pay making the problem worse iykwim. My problem is previous management let a huge seedbank develope without tackling it, but the boss recognises we need to now atleast, costs alot in yield and that also.

I know what your saying i want alot and you want to pay little as possible :D. If you could look at using clover swards and cow poo for straw deals and point out benefits that are there just not in monetary terms like say the yield benefit after a 3 year grass ley and there's more nutrients than just npk in slurry etc as once you get a mineral deficiency you've already suffered lost yield as can happen so fast might go un noticed for a few days/weeks?! even. Another thing is once field over here gets riddled with disease every field down wind will also be riddled where as if you've grass field breaks will help to slow progress of disease... As for money most guys about you grow for malting except your neighbour, don't ask me for their costing etc but as you say greenings will affect some of them so maybe a few black and whites will be appearing in rotation?!

Actually the first year we moved in here and started getting straw off neighbour my father was hard set to bake the 30 ft swards and we used to get enough straw off the sane two 40ac fields every yr but what ever has happened in the last number if years we need to get 120acrrs plus off him to get the 700.
    Maybe he might start his own herd? I don't know about that idea. I'd be as well get my own corner right first but its certenly not been shot down :(

• Advertisement

Offered €156/ton for new crop wheat this morning to meet all the specs and over 11.6% protein.

Advertisement