Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Grain price.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

sheebadog wrote: »
    Greysides. Please close this down. SVP.

Phuckit, he was one of the more enlightened posters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Phuckit, he was one of the more enlightened posters.

He was a she if I remember right FFS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Jesus hardly? I never had an inkling that it was a women.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Never coped that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

He was a red blooded he, not that it matters pity he's gone. I hope
    GrassandMuck stays as he has great info, himself and Sheeba were really interesting and professional

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

He was a red blooded he, not that it matters pity he's gone. I hope
    GrassandMuck stays as he has great info, himself and Sheeba were really interesting and professional

Like ur self frazzled dissapointed to see Sheba gone.a mountain of diverse knowledge on dairy and tillage in praticular but also life experience.

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Like ur self frazzled dissapointed to see Sheba gone.a mountain of diverse knowledge on dairy and tillage in praticular but also life experience.

Knowledge. That's it in a nutshell. The too tillage boys were full of it. Its nice to here about the way there operations work and how things differed in france and England.
    And it was a change compared to grass cows and cattle :)

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Coonagh

The way grain price is shaping up I reckon 2014 will be the death knell of wheat as the dominant winter cereal, way to dear to grow and winter barley is closing the gap in terms of yield potential

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 752 ✭✭✭micraX

Coonagh wrote: »
    The way grain price is shaping up I reckon 2014 will be the death knell of wheat as the dominant winter cereal, way to dear to grow and winter barley is closing the gap in terms of yield potential

Yeah a lot of lads considering growing less weath and more "protein" crops for the money.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

What sort of protein crops?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    What sort of protein crops?

Beans. Looking into others too

It's going to be worth maximum of 250/ha maybe less depending on uptake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭conor t

Coonagh wrote: »
    It's going to be worth maximum of 250/ha maybe less depending on uptake
    Id say with the subsidy is the only way it'd be worthwhile. Soya has dropped a lot in the last few weeks

conor t wrote: »
    Id say with the subsidy is the only way it'd be worthwhile. Soya has dropped a lot in the last few weeks

Well beans is good for the ground too, adds nitrogen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 332 ✭✭merryberry

Anyone with winter barley cut?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

merryberry wrote: »
    Anyone with winter barley cut?

A good bit cut for crimp around here no idea of yields.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 332 ✭✭merryberry

U crimping or around u freedominacup. Bit of winter barley starting to move off the fields in north tipp. Saw first load of straw been carted this morning. Wb on the wrong side of 4t/ ac. Heavy thunder showers aiding crop break down.

merryberry wrote: »
    U crimping or around u freedominacup. Bit of winter barley starting to move off the fields in north tipp. Saw first load of straw been carted this morning. Wb on the wrong side of 4t/ ac. Heavy thunder showers aiding crop break down.

No crimp here for the past few years. I don't think it complements the wholecrop. We fed a good bit of maize meal last year and it worked well with the wholecrop. Should be cutting wholecrop in the next ten days then dd grass seed into the stubble.

Will be cutting winter barley Tuesday or Wednesday, reports are that earlier sown stuff is barely making 3.5 ton/acre

farm14 wrote: »
    What did dairy lads do to you that you'd like to see the price drop on them. What is wrong with expanding or starting up a dairy herd? Demand for dairy produce worldwide is growing at a rate 2% per annum. You are a great lad for coming on here having a go at lads for wanting to grow or start up a dairy business when it is clearly by far the most profitable farm enterprise in this country. Maybe we should all start doing another enterprise sure with the way your talking ,maybe that will be more profitable will it? :D
    So what's this 5 year milk glut about?:D

• Advertisement

micraX wrote: »
    So what's this 5 year milk glut about?:D

Spin

Spin

Spin? As in milk producers are been taken on a spin?

Spin? As in milk producers are been taken on a spin?

nz realising Europe will be competing more and trying to scare

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭trixi2011

No crimp here for the past few years. I don't think it complements the wholecrop. We fed a good bit of maize meal last year and it worked well with the wholecrop. Should be cutting wholecrop in the next ten days then dd grass seed into the stubble.
    how does the wholecrop compare to maize got both wc and maize in nz this year test were very similar on paper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭GRASSorMUCK

Started Friday away all weekend at wedding. Setting up a student tramline busting

trixi2011 wrote: »
    how does the wholecrop compare to maize got both wc and maize in nz this year test were very similar on paper

Wholecrop is much more reliable for us than. Maize on a similar analysis would "feed" better than wholecrop imo but we just can't get the crops. We would only hit the 30% starch in a year like this year or last in an average year we wouldn't get close but the wholecrop hits it 9 times out of 10. We're just too high and too exposed. We have near neighbours getting good maize crops consistently but their land is 150 ft lower. Soils are an issue too. Some of it is too light. We had maize suffering from drought stress in may one year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭trixi2011

Wholecrop is much more reliable for us than. Maize on a similar analysis would "feed" better than wholecrop imo but we just can't get the crops. We would only hit the 30% starch in a year like this year or last in an average year we wouldn't get close but the wholecrop hits it 9 times out of 10. We're just too high and too exposed. We have near neighbours getting good maize crops consistently but their land is 150 ft lower. Soils are an issue too. Some of it is too light. We had maize suffering from drought stress in may one year.
    It was the other way round in nz hard to get harvester at the right stage for whole crop as it is usually at the right stage at xmass time. Maize can be also bought cheaper and be more reliable crop. Autum

I was talking to the guy who cut the wb for crimp. 2.8t at 17% equivalent. He wasn't thrilled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Zr105

Started Friday away all weekend at wedding. Setting up a student tramline busting

That an x-press behind the quaddy?? Looks to be doing a serious job! What's the ride like on the Deere? Looks like it'd be a bit of a nodding dog with the engine entirely hanging out infront of the tracks!

I was talking to the guy who cut the wb for crimp. 2.8t at 17% equivalent. He wasn't thrilled.

That's a disaster!

• Advertisement

Zr105 wrote: »
    That an x-press behind the quaddy?? Looks to be doing a serious job! What's the ride like on the Deere? Looks like it'd be a bit of a nodding dog with the engine entirely hanging out infront of the tracks!

No it's a double press with a quivegone tine master. Had a top down but didn't go on tough ground as that's one of our lighted fields , by Wednesday should be working some reall ****y stuff pulls slabs up. At a bit of a crossroads were to go which is becoming more like a spaghetti junction by the day.
    Honestly haven't even sat on the Deere one of full timers showed the other fella replaced a 8430 just couldn't put the power down /cheaper to hire for season than replace, last time did anything with a crawler was a b series challenger.

Phone left out 2/3 of post, essentially that's heavy nasty clay that was ploughed last week and power harrowed to work cinder blocks a bit smaller, left til sept to let weather work it down by rain then drying as no amount of hp/steel will work it. The quad can struggle in places with that

Ploughing yet another abandoned field due to bg can kind of make out the ****ty stuff in the pic

Ye may bring my neighbour over and shoe him how its done :D
    He'd plough and sow 200ac a day I reckon.
    Supposed to be a field of black grass found in Kildare. Farmer says he had it for yrs and never knew what it was

Ye may bring my neighbour over and shoe him how its done :D
    He'd plough and sow 200ac a day I reckon.
    Supposed to be a field of black grass found in Kildare. Farmer says he had it for yrs and never knew what it was
    Lots of reported cases in Ireland this year, was mentioned a lot in kildalton at the IPM day.

Lots of reported cases in Ireland this year, was mentioned a lot in kildalton at the IPM day.

Black grass or sterile broome? Won't ever be so bad in Eire as bg loves high n use exclusive winter crops and heavy ground

Black grass or sterile broome? Won't ever be so bad in Eire as bg loves high n use exclusive winter crops and heavy ground

I just heard blaxkgrass, what's tge other? Came in in seed from England apparently.

I just heard blaxkgrass, what's tge other? Came in in seed from England apparently.

Very worrying times so, problem with Bg is can germinate anytime of the year, dealing with triple R resistance strains now with the only control in wheats being pre-em's/post'ems and getting the crop to tiller early to shade it out before it can get established. Wosr gives you Kerb but is extremely weather dependent ie. need 1 week of -0 temps over the day.. Beans can be very hit and miss in terms of crop and Wb is not really goer as need to plant as late as you can incl the wheat as can get 2nd generations come through.
    The seeds are extremely viable in years 1-5, in 5-10 has a major drop off but some can last 40yrs and still grow, that's the big problem, putting in grass is not a longterm solution unless 10rs+. Ploughing gives a 70-30 split, bury 70% of seeds bring up 30% but onl at +5 years. Glyphosate does a good job.
    Best control is whole crop before seed head becomesviable to prevent seed return, need to be 100% strict no allowance or if not toooo bad exremely fine rouging then collect and burn the plants.
    Spring crops, lots of them!
    Grass ley before a seedbank can get established.
    Will edit/add to in am when not soo sleepy:)

Very worrying times so, problem with Bg is can germinate anytime of the year, dealing with triple R resistance strains now with the only control in wheats being pre-em's/post'ems and getting the crop to tiller early to shade it out before it can get established. Wosr gives you Kerb but is extremely weather dependent ie. need 1 week of -0 temps over the day.. Beans can be very hit and miss in terms of crop and Wb is not really goer as need to plant as late as you can incl the wheat as can get 2nd generations come through.
    The seeds are extremely viable in years 1-5, in 5-10 has a major drop off but some can last 40yrs and still grow, that's the big problem, putting in grass is not a longterm solution unless 10rs+. Ploughing gives a 70-30 split, bury 70% of seeds bring up 30% but onl at +5 years. Glyphosate does a good job.
    Best control is whole crop before seed head becomesviable to prevent seed return, need to be 100% strict no allowance or if not toooo bad exremely fine rouging then collect and burn the plants.
    Spring crops, lots of them!
    Grass ley before a seedbank can get established.
    Will edit/add to in am when not soo sleepy:)

I was wondering why the other neighbours spray off all the land. They can get into big trouble for doing it I believe. Only aloud spray 30% I think

I was wondering why the other neighbours spray off all the land. They can get into big trouble for doing it I believe. Only aloud spray 30% I think

Il come back to the above but wouldn't think ever get bg on your light ground? Just general weeds to cleanup stubbles? Is it the big neighbour you mean are they min-til or still plough based? Most fields in min til get get burnt off now being honest, just waiting for another problem to emerge but we'll not worry bout that til the time comes.
    Token pic uploads
    Tramline busting of course with the one time machine blocks, got a lot of hardship last year with 84 bouncing under pressure shaking machine to bits but crawler we'll on top of it using less fuel! Just traction.
    Combining

• Advertisement

Il come back to the above but wouldn't think ever get bg on your light ground? Just general weeds to cleanup stubbles? Is it the big neighbour you mean are they min-til or still plough based? Most fields in min til get get burnt off now being honest, just waiting for another problem to emerge but we'll not worry bout that til the time comes.
    Token pic uploads
    Tramline busting of course with the one time machine blocks, got a lot of hardship last year with 84 bouncing under pressure shaking machine to bits but crawler we'll on top of it using less fuel! Just traction.
    Combining
    No min till around here all plough.
    Smaller operation malting barley prob 300 ac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

New arrival in West Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

New arrival in West Cork

That guy really knows his sh1t about combines...he gets very technical from 2.30 to 2.50

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm West Cork eh? Wonder where the minister for da fence farms?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm West Cork eh? Wonder where the minister for da fence farms?

Roberts cove.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

That guy really knows his sh1t about combines...he gets very technical from 2.30 to 2.50

I'm sure most people wouldn't have a clue how to untangle those innards. It doesn't mean you can't admire a nice new piece of kit. I do know it was quite a battle keeping the old combine functioning during harvest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

Sorry, was only kidding about the commentary on the video. Flaking machine, well wear. No doubt about it, serious bit of gear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Dawgsback

I thought that the ministers family sold their farm?

What would lads be making per hactare off grain?
    Couldnt be more than 1300 thus yr with the price?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Dawgsback

What would lads be making per hactare off grain?
    Couldnt be more than 1300 thus yr with the price?[

Not much money made this year as price is shyte. SFP comes in handy in a year like this.

Cutting winter barley at the minute quality excellent, moisture at around 16 and looking like yielding around 3.5t/acre. Lots of straw but I would prefer more grain! Wet spring has robbed yield

• Advertisement
Advertisement