Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Grain price.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

What would lads be making per hactare off grain?
    Couldnt be more than 1300 thus yr with the price?

It is somthing that often interests me is margin/profit levels on grain.
    Coonagh wrote: »
    Cutting winter barley at the minute quality excellent, moisture at around 16 and looking like yielding around 3.5t/acre. Lots of straw but I would prefer more grain! Wet spring has robbed yield

From this you be talking about turnover of 1390/HA (140/ton for grain and straw 55/acre on the ledge). As a lot of grain grown on conacre would 400/HA in rental charge be correct(150/acre). Seed would it cost 65/HA(26/acre). Fertlizer depending on availability of slurry 150-280/HA (50-90/acre). Tilling. spraying and harvest costs 350-450/ha. Costs in the region of 1050-1100/HA. And winter barley is suppose to be one of the more profitable crops.

So this year 120-150/acre margin. Was 175/ton best price over last five years. that would be 130/acre higher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭nashmach

What would lads be making per hactare off grain?
    Couldnt be more than 1300 thus yr with the price?

Damn all on owned ground. Lucky to have the price of a few IFJ's per acre this year.
    It is somthing that often interests me is margin/profit levels on grain.

From this you be talking about turnover of 1390/HA (140/ton for grain and straw 55/acre on the ledge). As a lot of grain grown on conacre would 400/HA in rental charge be correct(150/acre). Seed would it cost 65/HA(26/acre). Fertlizer depending on availability of slurry 150-280/HA (50-90/acre). Tilling. spraying and harvest costs 350-450/ha. Costs in the region of 1050-1100/HA. And winter barley is suppose to be one of the more profitable crops.

So this year 120-150/acre margin. Was 175/ton best price over last five years. that would be 130/acre higher.

Grain is not near €140 yet though and your rent is on the low side for any of the main growing areas. Seed around €32/acre unless home saving.

Fertiliser will be a tad more this spring - around €110/acre.

You wouldn't be spraying much at those prices! Machinery costs alone would be close to €150/acre.

So you can quickly see that in a year like this you are in loss making territory very quickly and no contribution towards fixed costs.

Busy fools we are buring diesel this year :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

nashmach wrote: »
    Damn all on owned ground. Lucky to have the price of a few IFJ's per acre this year.

Grain is not near €140 yet though and your rent is on the low side for any of the main growing areas. Seed around €32/acre unless home saving.

Fertiliser will be a tad more this spring - around €110/acre.

You wouldn't be spraying much at those prices! Machinery costs alone would be close to €150/acre.

So you can quickly see that in a year like this you are in loss making territory very quickly and no contribution towards fixed costs.

Busy fools we are buring diesel this year :(

I have often wondered are lads that are at tillage and contractors suffering from machinery disease or just want to be seen as tractor jockeys. Why be a busy fool. I would like to see costings broken down a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭nashmach

I have often wondered are lads that are at tillage and contractors suffering from machinery disease or just want to be seen as tractor jockeys. Why be a busy fool. I would like to see costings broken down a bit.

What is in this document is not that far off in my experience:

http://www.teagasc.ie/publications/view_publication.aspx?PublicationID=3100

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭GRASSorMUCK

Token upload of the day, any osr cut in Ireland yet?

We have a neighbour we move his osr up the store for, suits us job creation before the wheat and he wouldn't have space

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

Love the photos GrassorMuck - Keep em coming

So how do Irish tillage farmers compare to their british Counterparts? Obvioiusly the scale is much bigger over there - but in relation to yields, crop husbandry and i suppose most importantly Profit - how are our lads doing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Dawgsback

Two Axial flows tucking into wheat hard as here. Two crews 24hrs.
    Wheat now down to 11.4% moisture.
    Panic. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

Dawgsback wrote: »

Welcome Dawg. Love the name. You'd be farming around fexford,, non?

Panch18 wrote: »
    Love the photos GrassorMuck - Keep em coming

So how do Irish tillage farmers compare to their british Counterparts? Obvioiusly the scale is much bigger over there - but in relation to yields, crop husbandry and i suppose most importantly Profit - how are our lads doing?

I'll need to give some background to the farm before i reply, don't go thinking our place is the standard uk estate as it isn't it's the result of 2 decades of miss management finally all falling apart like a deck of cards. My boss is an extremely wealthy member of the landed gentry over here who inherited the farm/wider estate in the late 80's with no interest in it other than a week end retreat from london, so in 1989 he got a certain farming company (eg velcourt{not the actual company mind!}) in to review the farm to run as cheaply as possible and so they took it over to farm it, the farm is cropping 4,200 acres with some 1,500 acres on longterm leases due to end over the next 5-20 years at the time they had 15 farm workers, 2 dairy herds of around 300 cows each and kept all the calves as beef cattle. By 1993 the farm had cut to all arable and 5 full timers. By 2009 the farm had a seriou BG problem as the then manager was completely restricted in what he could do as some crops guru advised all the managers in a form of calender farming eg, you plant these varities then spray this chem we bulk purchase cheaper than all the peasants who have no idea vs what each farm/Field!! needed... The only machine was either a brand new quadtrac 535,8430,2x6930's and a 2007 530/70 jcb, or atleast 10 years old and done a death of work poorly maintained because 'this was an efficient farm' they also built a new grain store unit in 1992. The grain stores were completely under sized poorly built ie concrete on clay!! all the elevators flooded from spring and were rusted out etc They replaced all the tractors in one go vs now everythings on a 5 year rotaton change quadtrac next year, then sprayer etc etc.. kit like drill cultivations equipment are about 5-10, basically when fairly worn but we are at a big cross roads where to go now. Then in mid-late 09 the boss had someone come and look at his 'farm' told him what a joke it was and since then took an interest in it. Hired my previous boss, who only for i wouldn't have learned/ benefited from at all came as a summer casual with plans to go to Oz combining etc never left!:D This account i inherited from my uncles nephew from the other side of the family iykwim who wanted to work in uk but i can't stand but had to seen to help so forgetting exact details he set up on here with my bloody email account. :confused:. Anyway after re building the store, starting to modernised how the farm worked and spending alot of money and here we are.

Now as for uk farmers,some are addicted to crops, others are spread sheet farmers counting the cost of every m2 grown on the farm some are addicted to kit others are like children if you buy a new tractor i need something bigger better some are full of shyte talking how they grow their crops so well no one else could possibly do nearly as well, like ireland really the accents the only difference! :D. I find they like every technology fad going and will talk down any one elses argument, generally to re-assure them selves it's the right thing to do, if they are so much more agronomicaly superior and have access to so much more tech due to scale why are yields no different and the wheat producers now full of BG which is spreading W and N and now starting to export it even!. I'm sure if Ireland had 1/3 less rain the crops would also be alot less disease prone eg. Septoria/Fuarium you would also grow lots of milling wheats also? They have spent too much time watching sky news believing their own hype personally :D:pac::)

Eg the farm now is 4,100 acre as we sowed 100 aacres of water meadows to a variety of wild flower, old meadow pasures bird feed mixes as too wet to work really and paid alot for environmental schemes. Last year/pring gone by was the first year in 5 we managed to work and sow the full acerage and have since lost 12% of that to Bg/ diseasse etc.. be it whole cropping wheat in early june for free before it set seeds 120 acres of the bad strips in feed wheat ground don't bother grow milling where expect bad BG, various patches of other crops burnt off , alot of osr as kerb had no effect last year.... :( We have a full time agronomist in at a set rate fee per acre sown 1-1.5 days week as just couldn't look after the crop and do everything else aswel, our 2 main men the cultivations/ drill man and sprayer/combine driver are paid well above the norm but are extremely good can work with out instruction just say what needs doing let them at it.. saying all that we've made more mistakes than would care to mention, hindsights 20/20. Most the crops are not as good as know you can get them, just always playing catch up regards in-puts/Bg , reckon loose 5-10% yield on average across all wheats due to Bg competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

Good man G&M, really interesting evolution. Lots of messages there for us all no matter what enterprise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Is there a minimum moisture level you can harvest at? #idontdotillage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

I'll need to give some background to the farm before i reply, don't go thinking our place is the standard uk estate as it isn't it's the result of 2 decades of miss management finally all falling apart like a deck of cards. My boss is an extremely wealthy member of the landed gentry over here who inherited the farm/wider estate in the late 80's with no interest in it other than a week end retreat from london, so in 1989 he got a certain farming company (eg velcourt{not the actual company mind!}) in to review the farm to run as cheaply as possible and so they took it over to farm it, the farm is cropping 4,200 acres with some 1,500 acres on longterm leases due to end over the next 5-20 years at the time they had 15 farm workers, 2 dairy herds of around 300 cows each and kept all the calves as beef cattle. By 1993 the farm had cut to all arable and 5 full timers. By 2009 the farm had a seriou BG problem as the then manager was completely restricted in what he could do as some crops guru advised all the managers in a form of calender farming eg, you plant these varities then spray this chem we bulk purchase cheaper than all the peasants who have no idea vs what each farm/Field!! needed... The only machine was either a brand new quadtrac 535,8430,2x6930's and a 2007 530/70 jcb, or atleast 10 years old and done a death of work poorly maintained because 'this was an efficient farm' they also built a new grain store unit in 1992. The grain stores were completely under sized poorly built ie concrete on clay!! all the elevators flooded from spring and were rusted out etc They replaced all the tractors in one go vs now everythings on a 5 year rotaton change quadtrac next year, then sprayer etc etc.. kit like drill cultivations equipment are about 5-10, basically when fairly worn but we are at a big cross roads where to go now. Then in mid-late 09 the boss had someone come and look at his 'farm' told him what a joke it was and since then took an interest in it. Hired my previous boss, who only for i wouldn't have learned/ benefited from at all came as a summer casual with plans to go to Oz combining etc never left!:D This account i inherited from my uncles nephew from the other side of the family iykwim who wanted to work in uk but i can't stand but had to seen to help so forgetting exact details he set up on here with my bloody email account. :confused:. Anyway after re building the store, starting to modernised how the farm worked and spending alot of money and here we are.

Now as for uk farmers,some are addicted to crops, others are spread sheet farmers counting the cost of every m2 grown on the farm some are addicted to kit others are like children if you buy a new tractor i need something bigger better some are full of shyte talking how they grow their crops so well no one else could possibly do nearly as well, like ireland really the accents the only difference! :D. I find they like every technology fad going and will talk down any one elses argument, generally to re-assure them selves it's the right thing to do, if they are so much more agronomicaly superior and have access to so much more tech due to scale why are yields no different and the wheat producers now full of BG which is spreading W and N and now starting to export it even!. I'm sure if Ireland had 1/3 less rain the crops would also be alot less disease prone eg. Septoria/Fuarium you would also grow lots of milling wheats also? They have spent too much time watching sky news believing their own hype personally :D:pac::)

Eg the farm now is 4,100 acre as we sowed 100 aacres of water meadows to a variety of wild flower, old meadow pasures bird feed mixes as too wet to work really and paid alot for environmental schemes. Last year/pring gone by was the first year in 5 we managed to work and sow the full acerage and have since lost 12% of that to Bg/ diseasse etc.. be it whole cropping wheat in early june for free before it set seeds 120 acres of the bad strips in feed wheat ground don't bother grow milling where expect bad BG, various patches of other crops burnt off , alot of osr as kerb had no effect last year.... :( We have a full time agronomist in at a set rate fee per acre sown 1-1.5 days week as just couldn't look after the crop and do everything else aswel, our 2 main men the cultivations/ drill man and sprayer/combine driver are paid well above the norm but are extremely good can work with out instruction just say what needs doing let them at it.. saying all that we've made more mistakes than would care to mention, hindsights 20/20. Most the crops are not as good as know you can get them, just always playing catch up regards in-puts/Bg , reckon loose 5-10% yield on average across all wheats due to Bg competition.

Fair knowledge there. I think some of those English farmers can relate back to some Irish farmers.
    Keep up the good work. A lot even us dairy men can learn from ye

Is there a minimum moisture level you can harvest at? #idontdotillage

15% moisture. Then you go like feck.
    Combine drivers tell me we will be finished wheat next Thursday.

Did anyone here know Mr. Stephen Price? RIP.

"Carpathian cropper", "Danube" or "Elmsted".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

Did anyone here know Mr. Stephen Price? RIP.

"Carpathian cropper", "Danube" or "Elmsted".

I remember him from when BFF was going strong. Wandered into TFf last week when this place was having some "issues". Shocked to hear of his death. Even though I'm not into tillage, he provided some very interesting reading and debates. When I saw he had passed away, just reminded me that we are all on borrowed time. Puts our farming problems into perspective.
    Elmsted RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭conor t

I remember him from when BFF was going strong. Wandered into TFf last week when this place was having some "issues". Shocked to hear of his death. Even though I'm not into tillage, he provided some very interesting reading and debates. When I saw he had passed away, just reminded me that we are all on borrowed time. Puts our farming problems into perspective.
    Elmsted RIP

+1 always intresting to read his posts, knew his stuff

Elmsted RIP

I remember he had great fun arguing with the 'professionals' with his broad acre Eastern block farming methods... Sad to hear that.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Cow Porter

Forgive my ignorance, what was his handle / username on bff?

@GrassorMuck. Excellent post above.
    That's a project I would have given my eye teeth for 20 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Cow Porter

Cow Porter wrote: »
    Forgive my ignorance, what was his handle / username on bff?

sounded like a great character going by the thread on TFF

@GrassorMuck. Excellent post above.
    That's a project I would have given my eye teeth for 20 years ago.

Thanks for the nice comments folks, ment to say have let about 300 acres also to a 'grazier' they call stock farms taking grass over here, started with nothing now he finishes about 30 cattle per week and has a lot of breeding ewes

Rotor belt blown on one of the Axials.
    39 degrees now. Wonder what's the temp in the engine bay?
    Big weak point in them. Wheat now 10.2% so it's my fault pushing too hard.

Rotor belt blown on one of the Axials.
    39 degrees now. Wonder what's the temp in the engine bay?
    Big weak point in them. Wheat now 10.2% so it's my fault pushing too hard.
    * cough, il be back in a minute lads just answering the phone moment?!
    Big job replace?
    Mind sending both on a lorry over here then? Seems all the wheats gone be fit about 7th august!

Lads started at oats here beside me today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

Yeah, some winter oats being harvested around here today as well. Super day, some heat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

I'll need to give some background to the farm before i reply, .................

Fascinating stuff GrassorMuck, thanks for the detailed reply

Keep up the good posting!

* cough, il be back in a minute lads just answering the phone moment?!
    Big job replace?
    Mind sending both on a lorry over here then? Seems all the wheats gone be fit about 7th august!

45 mins start to finish but it's in the engine bay and it must be 70 degrees in there.
    Sounds like you may need them. 4k acres of combineables and one combine? Surely need two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

+1

+1

Some gear. 34ft NH combine. And 4 fendts in the field. Also has new 7616 MF And a valtra and a couple of big loaders

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,498 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Some gear. 34ft NH combine. And 4 fendts in the field. Also has new 7616 MF And a valtra and a couple of big loaders

Yeah but he has to pay for them tho

• Advertisement

What was he doing, mining the field?

What was he doing, mining the field?

He'll be sowing next week so there will be 3 tractors at that

45 mins start to finish but it's in the engine bay and it must be 70 degrees in there.
    Sounds like you may need them. 4k acres of combineables and one combine? Surely need two.

Being honest it's more like 3,500 on average and have the logistics to keep combine rolling once it starts rolling ie wide gaps no header changing for fields 3x16 ton trailers big reception pit etc. keeps things going and put everything mostly over the grain cleaner aswel so not worried about the sample just keep loses down as can clean it out in cleaner

Lads were late last night so was on bowser duty this am
    Can see size of the cat converter/ ad~blue injection unit must be huge in side.
    The rads sit horizontal now with a huge fan that then is meant to blow up through the engine, works to keep it cool but let's a lot of dust sit on the hot bits. Older machine stayed a lot cleaner in the engine bay.

Being honest it's more like 3,500 on average and have the logistics to keep combine rolling once it starts rolling ie wide gaps no header changing for fields 3x16 ton trailers big reception pit etc. keeps things going and put everything mostly over the grain cleaner aswel so not worried about the sample just keep loses down as can clean it out in cleaner

Lads were late last night so was on bowser duty this am
    Can see size of the cat converter/ ad~blue injection unit must be huge in side.
    The rads sit horizontal now with a huge fan that then is meant to blow up through the engine, works to keep it cool but let's a lot of dust sit on the hot bits. Older machine stayed a lot cleaner in the engine bay.

I might aswell be looking into a Furze bush haha

I might aswell be looking into a Furze bush haha

Don't worry I'm no better just what been told by driver! He's worried member of traveling community might have a look in the big shiny box part in the right hand side! :D
    The fan pulls in air from on top of the machine which is in theory cleaner but not working out. Problem dust gets in around engine bay, nice hot turbo etc then goes on fire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,498 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

This is the reason we need a crawler just to pull out some tram lines, for reference they're size 11's..... :(
    Wet spot and sprayer is just too heavy

That's a fair rut

Edited!#
    This is the reason we need a crawler just to pull out some tram lines, for reference they're size 11's..... :(
    Wet spot and sprayer is just too heavy

Clay? Deep clay?

Clay? Deep clay?

Deep heavy nAsty stuff yep, for reference

Had some good photos but can't upload. Harvest etc.

Then again mostly dust!!

• Advertisement

Finished selling osr this am, will sell whole lot essentially average at 252/ton, no drying costs so not too bad. Not great either

Finished selling osr this am, will sell whole lot essentially average at 252/ton, no drying costs so not too bad. Not great either

Would you sell Pre harvest or do you wait for harvest end?

I'd imagine some forward sold would be the way, certainly the way with barley here ATM

Would you sell Pre harvest or do you wait for harvest end?

I'd imagine some forward sold would be the way, certainly the way with barley here ATM

Yep bout a 1/3 sold foreword but then often only moved over winter so still need stores, just not worth it in Ireland unless one of the few big growers to put in a store, but then hard to sepperate different grades of crop if stored in too big of heaps. Ie different protein contents of milling wheat
    It's good this year most crop went in very dry so only need to run fans a little to keep it cool over winter where as from a drier you have extra diesel costs but then find needs to be cooled in the heap because we can't cool hot crop from the drier unless circulate back to a wet bin or put in a few extra pedistals blowing abit more than needed in heap so all adds few extra quid per ton of cost

Yep bout a 1/3 sold foreword but then often only moved over winter so still need stores, just not worth it in Ireland unless one of the few big growers to put in a store, but then hard to sepperate different grades of crop if stored in too big of heaps. Ie different protein contents of milling wheat
    It's good this year most crop went in very dry so only need to run fans a little to keep it cool over winter where as from a drier you have extra diesel costs but then find needs to be cooled in the heap because we can't cool hot crop from the drier unless circulate back to a wet bin or put in a few extra pedistals blowing abit more than needed in heap so all adds few extra quid per ton of cost
    From what I can gather forward selling isn't practiced her to any large degree. I think the concept got a real kicking in harvest 12 I think. Loads of lads forward sold early and grain kept rising leaving them feeling unhappy. This combined with lower than expected yields left them not filling contracts. They of course sold 100% forward instead or being cute and selling portions.

From what I can gather forward selling isn't practiced her to any large degree. I think the concept got a real kicking in harvest 12 I think. Loads of lads forward sold early and grain kept rising leaving them feeling unhappy. This combined with lower than expected yields left them not filling contracts. They of course sold 100% forward instead or being cute and selling portions.

Pretty much it above! Just your like a fish over a barrel to the merchant but then not much else choice! Just had an offer of £112/ton feed wheat at 15% load out soon as harvested.... Ooooooh dear!! :(

Dug this sheet out, this is a map of the seed rates needed across a block of wheat to grow to a stand. It's made by getting the soils mapped for nutrient contents /then cross referenced from yield monitor on the combine over the years. Has a plug in box to download the data that plugs into the drill control box to vary the rate and then plugs into the gps which tells it where it is in the field... The used to be one block but now has a main road going through it so we got a large underpass we share with 5 or 6 other farms.

Do you also fert referencing this map?

We use grass yield and soil samples, not in as grand a scale though

Can't beat good records

Do you also fert referencing this map?

We use grass yield and soil samples, not in as grand a scale though

Can't beat good records

Yep for p/k. Just flat rate n then as variation should be taken out. Not overly convinced of it my self, but got an agreement that lasts 2 more years so we'll see then

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Grass or muck would you notice any physical difference relating to the map? Like if you were ploughing are the 142 bits lighter than 87?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭conor t

grass or muck
    is it different fertility levels that require different seeding rates, or does it take other factors into account to

Advertisement