Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Grain price.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭conor t

From what I can gather forward selling isn't practiced her to any large degree. I think the concept got a real kicking in harvest 12 I think. Loads of lads forward sold early and grain kept rising leaving them feeling unhappy. This combined with lower than expected yields left them not filling contracts. They of course sold 100% forward instead or being cute and selling portions.

the cute lads are the lads who follow the markets closely and aren't afraid to buy back their grain and sell again when the prices are on the rise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭GRASSorMUCK

conor t wrote: »
    grass or muck
    is it different fertility levels that require different seeding rates, or does it take other factors into account to
    125kg/ha was thebase rate but can be adjusted on the computer which would slightly alter the rates, you would so to adjust for field conditions as normal or thousand grain weight etc
    Fertility levels build the base for the map in the software, then using the yield map from the combine, basically tells how the different areas perform relative to nutrient availibilty in the area given. Using the combine then helps to give environmental feed back like one headland never yields anyway because s by a row of trees that shades out the crop or might be wet due to poor drains so cut back on inputs to match the yield more commonly got iykwim. Also handy to give specific areas to inspect in better detail as to whats the problem. Not 100% convinced in it but it does help in some places, biggest flaw was on the software as alsways thought old combine had a full bite when cutting but on new machine had to get slightly more sophisticated software/high accuracy gps that could mark out any un croped areas on the field from what the crop sprayer burnt off or didn't spray or could tell if combine was only taking half heder width finishing a run. I suppose it'll take a good few harvests to get the best out of the theory. If you keep the combine calibrated ie cut a specific area weigh it then program that back in very accurate, was only 2% off the total crop that weighed INTO the store last year. Then again all the above needs scale to justify it unfortunately:(.
    blue5000 wrote: »
    Grass or muck would you notice any physical difference relating to the map? Like if you were ploughing are the 142 bits lighter than 87?
    Seems to have missed half the pic out must been a problem uploading?!
    Definetly can tell where there's a big variation in rates sometimes it's lighter usually!, driven by previous records rather than by soils but alot of the in between is much more subtle iykwm. on the pic if you see on the 'east' side of the road the 2 fields have an elevated rate joining them, that because the lnd there is fairly flat but drops into a valey but still yields where as in the bottom of the 1st field also drop into the same valley edge but is shaded out by a mall wood and just doesn't do as well

Will re do that pic in am, might dig out the p/k map also to show what was put out and also yield map of final result in few weeks

Must add for nitrogen we just use 2 rates yield or not yield, have tried to use crop N sensors but the tech is not there yet, similar with fungicides but then you can't afford to cut back really letting disease in.
    Spot what's wrong with the sprayer and you get a cookie :( :pac: tried some gallant wheat the burned in on some light ground partly due to rust getting in from the neighbours crop which went rotten with it one month ago, agronomist saved rest of the block by forcing to go with some tebuconazole, 13.8% moisture 82-84 bushel!!! Just hope hasn't diluted protein content as haven't seen quality like it since 2011 but got rained off due to 15min cloud hrs that flash flooded London in parts. Driver went to putters elements snake oil on beans as very good looking crop try keep green for few weeks more got a bad phonecall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

G&M,

How did you generate map? Is it based on yield mapping and then follow with soil sample or is it from soil samples?

I'm very interested in this as I put all soil test results on an 8*4 map in the office, hard to carry around though!!! Sorry just thought, why not take a pic with phone???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

a spin in the cab.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

a spin in the cab.

Is it your neighbours?

Hi sorry frazzled bit all over the place ATM, will pm later but we use the company soyl to make up the maps and they take a copy of the combine data to revise it al every year.
    In milling wheat ATM yielding too well as has brought proteins just below the big cash at 13%, 12.7- just 13, variety gallant bushel avg 83 yielding 9.5-10.4t/ha so very happy. Been onto our grain buyer and he has some very high protein wheat to blend with ours and move ASAP for full premiums if he can use our shed space as over flow if(when) needed as contract wasn't due to be honoured until nog/dec . All about give and take. As Sheba/dawg will say should have put nufol/protein head app of nitrogen but didn't expect such good quality rather sell it with some claims. It's like milk and milk contents and cattle dealers buying and selling just a bit more paperwork :pac: :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

Is it your neighbours?
    No my friend helps shooting the pigeons and crows and has been on daily patrol for the past few weeks. There seem to be a lot of big flocks around. I love the place and it's so peaceful and beautiful. I take a great interest in nature and wildlife so I try to visit year round to see the changes and photograph the wild flowers and walk my dog. I also am a closet farmer and if only I'd won that lotto.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

a spin in the cab.
    That the one with the big roller thingy on the front?:pac:

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Zr105

Must add for nitrogen we just use 2 rates yield or not yield, have tried to use crop N sensors but the tech is not there yet, similar with fungicides but then you can't afford to cut back really letting disease in.
    Spot what's wrong with the sprayer and you get a cookie :( :pac: tried some gallant wheat the burned in on some light ground partly due to rust getting in from the neighbours crop which went rotten with it one month ago, agronomist saved rest of the block by forcing to go with some tebuconazole, 13.8% moisture 82-84 bushel!!! Just hope hasn't diluted protein content as haven't seen quality like it since 2011 but got rained off due to 15min cloud hrs that flash flooded London in parts. Driver went to putters elements snake oil on beans as very good looking crop try keep green for few weeks more got a bad phonecall

Front axle gone bye bye :( fairly common fault on the Deere sp sprayers isn't it?

• Advertisement

Have this guy in clearing straw due to be delivered to a neighbour on a new straw for muck deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Have this guy in clearing straw due to be delivered to a neighbour on a new straw for muck deal

Say he'd clear the field in no time

They are the only way to clear straw. Neighbour uses one and have the field cleared in no time

Zr105 wrote: »
    Front axle gone bye bye :( fairly common fault on the Deere sp sprayers isn't it?

Think so yeah.... Steering unit seemed to give and flop about mangling the axel at that side abit the way it mounts/does suspension is abit poorly done :( .
    One of the hire tractors that came has also sh@ it's brakes with fillings into the backend. It's an 11 plate 7530 that's like a machine that's done 20khrs not 3.7 just been abused.
    Will need to come to an agreement with hire company because when arrived backend oil was like burnt engine oil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

I worked with a guy near Wisbech, Cambridgeshire for a few months. He had 6 big square balers and had 3 jcb tele handlers with artic trailers on dollies and 2 selfloading truck that tip up like your picture.
    Baled and collected between 8000 and 9000 acres straw. Some operation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Zr105

Think so yeah.... Steering unit seemed to give and flop about mangling the axel at that side abit the way it mounts/does suspension is abit poorly done :( .
    One of the hire tractors that came has also sh@ it's brakes with fillings into the backend. It's an 11 plate 7530 that's like a machine that's done 20khrs not 3.7 just been abused.
    Will need to come to an agreement with hire company because when arrived backend oil was like burnt engine oil
    Thats some rough treatment on the 75 alright, ya'd wonder how some lads do it.....

G&M,

How did you generate map? Is it based on yield mapping and then follow with soil sample or is it from soil samples?

I'm very interested in this as I put all soil test results on an 8*4 map in the office, hard to carry around though!!! Sorry just thought, why not take a pic with phone???

We get a company(soyl) in our case(i think brett brothers or could be quinns now offer the same in ireland?) to come out and take alot of core samples(upto8/acre in a variable field) and then using some electromagnetic process to work out the areas of that soil type on the back of a gps guided quad. They process the results and send it out to you then with the initial recomendations, then as you get more data from the crops performance in the field from the combine the maps are revised every year to take account for nutrient off take, performance of the field etc... They can make up variable fert/seed/cultivations depth:rolleyes: control and a few other services...
    I find it's very useful to help getting to know unfammiliar ground but am startng to question does it promote yield or just hold everything where it is iykwim...
    We use gatekeeper because means sprayer driver can log what he does with the field as he goes with an ipad, can look up how a field has done over last few years at the push of a button, takes alot of the admin work out of the job!. It also has the fields saved and allows you to plan what work you wat to do, ie if mole ploughing chooses the direction etc make a print out for the driver etc.. to follow
    The big issue is it's not really affordable for smaller cereal farms as need alot of electronics what i would term arable spec fert spinners with vari rate control going to widths beyond what most livestock farms would be

Zr105 wrote: »
    Thats some rough treatment on the 75 alright, ya'd wonder how some lads do it.....
    Yep, mechanic reckoned been done at least once before as paint had been burnt off the brakes housing and was well rusted. /Probably from one of the veg farms with an eastern european driving with of two mode of driving right foot on acceleraor or hard on the brakes
    I worked with a guy near Wisbech, Cambridgeshire for a few months. He had 6 big square balers and had 3 jcb tele handlers with artic trailers on dollies and 2 selfloading truck that tip up like your picture.
    Baled and collected between 8000 and 9000 acres straw. Some operation.
    would that hav been for the power station at ely or gong on trucks west wards? some big farms around there!
    They are the only way to clear straw. Neighbour uses one and have the field cleared in no time
    Reggie. wrote: »
    Say he'd clear the field in no time
    Good job very fast if not too long of a cart, once you need to travel bit like a silage wagon output dies away. That guy usually bring straw to a central stack in farms yard and has a few lorries running to clear them then. Alot of bales can fall over and burst going to waste if poorly done by inexperienced guys will see occasional stack that's gone over.

So far cut all osr, yielded on avrage about 4.2/t/ha bout average in the area this year.
    Sbarley variety was tipple will go for feed of low grade malting for whiskey yielded 7.4/tha extremely happy as was poor looking crop on heavy not really spring cropping ground but got lucky as heavy ground kept it green for another week or two which filled the fewer grains more.
    Cut gallant milling WWheat yielded better than could have ever thought at 10.5t/ha has us very excited about feed wheats on heavier ground, biggest supprise was the proteins remained high.
    Will have a few pics of a new toy i've waited for 4 years for, been on back order for 15 months and reason hired in a crawler for pressing next week :D.

Yep, mechanic reckoned been done at least once before as paint had been burnt off the brakes housing and was well rusted. /Probably from one of the veg farms with an eastern european driving with of two mode of driving right foot on acceleraor or hard on the brakes

would that hav been for the power station at ely or gong on trucks west wards? some big farms around there!

Good job very fast if not too long of a cart, once you need to travel bit like a silage wagon output dies away. That guy usually bring straw to a central stack in farms yard and has a few lorries running to clear them then. Alot of bales can fall over and burst going to waste if poorly done by inexperienced guys will see occasional stack that's gone over.

So far cut all osr, yielded on avrage about 4.2/t/ha bout average in the area this year.
    Sbarley variety was tipple will go for feed of low grade malting for whiskey yielded 7.4/tha extremely happy as was poor looking crop on heavy not really spring cropping ground but got lucky as heavy ground kept it green for another week or two which filled the fewer grains more.
    Cut gallant milling WWheat yielded better than could have ever thought at 10.5t/ha has us very excited about feed wheats on heavier ground, biggest supprise was the proteins remained high.
    Will have a few pics of a new toy i've waited for 4 years for, been on back order for 15 months and reason hired in a crawler for pressing next week :D.

Heard stories of lads in louth getting 10t/ha in s barley

Heard stories of lads in louth getting 10t/ha in s barley

Is that a about 30% moisture?! :pac: crops not in the ground 20 weeks!!
    I'm sorry but i think those lads tell everyone they plant English acres and harvest Irish ones...

• Advertisement

Is that a about 30% moisture?! :pac: crops not in the ground 20 weeks!!
    I'm sorry but i think those lads tell everyone they plant English acres and harvest Irish ones...

Never heard of it myself now either. Oceans of winter wheat and s barley still to cut around here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Never heard of it myself now either. Oceans of winter wheat and s barley still to cut around here

I was speaking to the guy who does our tillage work on Friday. He has around two thirds of his harvest cut. A lot of crimp wheat and w . barley done, waiting on oats and wheat for the mill.

I was speaking to the guy who does our tillage work on Friday. He has around two thirds of his harvest cut. A lot of crimp wheat and w . barley done, waiting on oats and wheat for the mill.

Be a good bit further down the country. Weather been on and off here and the big lads next door don't work on Sundays unless its really necessary so that cuts down the days.
    Lot of spring stuff will be cut from now on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

Not for a power station. He uses loads of it himself for bedding. Sells straw west along and he told me he has sold straw as far as Ireland and Holland
    Located between Wisbech and Peterborough. Big operations in that area and dead flat land.

Good bit of crops lodging around these parts

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Harrier1980

That is going to be a problem everywhere with these heavy showers!

Early spring barley cut in south kilkenny near me is yielding fantastic 3.8t to the acre.

Early spring barley cut in south kilkenny near me is yielding fantastic 3.8t to the acre.

Greenes from glenmore/tullagher?

Greenes from glenmore/tullagher?

No flies on you boy!

No flies on you boy!

Was in school with some of them, they have seriously early ground!
    Look far and wide to find sounder family

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭nashmach

More pub yields so and of course no mention of what moisture it is at...

nashmach wrote: »
    More pub yields so and of course no mention of what moisture it is at...

Sorry your highness.
    18% moisture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

Same around here the last few days, gotta feel sorry for sum of these guys. One guy near me has a 15ac field and id say half of it is down.

Same around here the last few days, gotta feel sorry for sum of these guys. One guy near me has a 15ac field and id say half of it is down.

Serious patches forming in fields here. Are them crops now wasted or will the combine get to pick them up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

Serious patches forming in fields here. Are them crops now wasted or will the combine get to pick them up

Think they have sum sort of bar that can pick them up but it's slow going and chockes the harvester. Is say when it's down for a week or so it's fcked to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭nashmach

Sorry your highness.
    18% moisture.

No need for the smartness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

Anyone planting osr?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Dawgsback........

Dawggone wrote: »
    Anyone planting osr?

Plenty of this going on around here

Plenty of this going on around here

What's the deutz doing...ripping?

What's the deutz doing...ripping?

Disking. Some power in her. 8/9 sod plough and furrowpress

• Advertisement

Anyone planting osr?

Have this machine in on demo, not so keen.. Glad not our drill being slowly snapped in half 0_o
    Got my dream press eventually after many years! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Anyone planting osr?

The guy who's going to dd our grass seed this week is doing a bit for another neighbour before he comes to us.

Have this machine in on demo, not so keen.. Glad not our drill being slowly snapped in half 0_o

Is she an air seeder

Is she an air seeder

It's a standard 8m vaddy rapid drill with a tool bar bolted on the front with sub soiling legs on and a liquid fert tank with starter feed on sprayed behind the leg... Drills aren't built for heavy work.. But company is eager to sell.
    Not interested. Drilling a little osr with it

It's a standard 8m vaddy rapid drill with a tool bar bolted on the front with sub soiling legs on and a liquid fert tank with starter feed on sprayed behind the leg... Drills aren't built for heavy work.. But company is eager to sell.
    Not interested. Drilling a little osr with it

Looks waaaaaay to complicated for my liking

Looks waaaaaay to complicated for my liking

It's not toooooo bad, took 3.5hrs to set up but then just case of flick 3 switches setting off and 2 at other end of field, still not something you'd let a novice out on. The liquid fert was playing up as couldn't match speed to pressure yesterday as nozzles were to big letting off the pressure iykwim so was putting out too high a rate, the bloody quad boosts to near 600 hp and could barely reach 8km/hr at 7" inches I don't know what they usually use!? On the front

Is that the new Vaddy?
    My family ordered one in January but told none available until November.

I love the press! What width? Are the paddles hydraulically adjustable on the move?
    With paddles down it will take a bit to pull. What make and in what slot will you be using it?
    Sorry for all the questions but I've one on my wish list. Saying that I reckon I've €100k on my wish list every day.

Is that the new Vaddy?
    My family ordered one in January but told none available until November.

I love the press! What width? Are the paddles hydraulically adjustable on the move?
    With paddles down it will take a bit to pull. What make and in what slot will you be using it?
    Sorry for all the questions but I've one on my wish list. Saying that I reckon I've €100k on my wish list every day.

Drill is a standard 8m with cultivation solutions tool bar on front. Not a good idea as pick up wrong will snap drill in half ie lift up with leg still in ground. Legs are on a parrAlel linkage pulled in pushed out but stil drills not a subsoiler!! Drills owned by demo dealer.

The press is all adjustable on the move, been on a wish list for 5years he'll of a piece of kit. Plan is press osr ground with jd the on quad for wheat ground drill with jd crawler. Have a 50 quid bet the 8m rexius will stall the quad on the nasty heavy ground waiting on vaddy demo man to come out and set up will have better knowledge then but at 14tons bloody heavy bit of kit should be a one pass opperation over culti-press 6m at 9 tons but poor tines/ paddles could be 2/3 passes in places and always struggled for out put ahead of drill so increased rain risk as had to keep day/half ahead sowing wheat over the drill at 80ha/day. Not drilling until last few days sept/1st week coy as difference in early vs late drilled crop for bg is huge but on this ground miss your gap with the weather just close the gate til march regards field work
    Ps... No change for 8m rexius twin out of 100k€

Drill is a standard 8m with cultivation solutions tool bar on front. Not a good idea as pick up wrong will snap drill in half ie lift up with leg still in ground. Legs are on a parrAlel linkage pulled in pushed out but stil drills not a subsoiler!! Drills owned by demo dealer.

The press is all adjustable on the move, been on a wish list for 5years he'll of a piece of kit. Plan is press osr ground with jd the on quad for wheat ground drill with jd crawler. Have a 50 quid bet the 8m rexius will stall the quad on the nasty heavy ground waiting on vaddy demo man to come out and set up will have better knowledge then but at 14tons bloody heavy bit of kit should be a one pass opperation over culti-press 6m at 9 tons but poor tines/ paddles could be 2/3 passes in places and always struggled for out put ahead of drill so increased rain risk as had to keep day/half ahead sowing wheat over the drill at 80ha/day. Not drilling until last few days sept/1st week coy as difference in early vs late drilled crop for bg is huge but on this ground miss your gap with the weather just close the gate til march regards field work
    Ps... No change for 8m rexius twin out of 100k€

Impressive.
    Would agree that having to be half to full day ahead of the drill is pushing it. Waiting until October for drilling makes things a little bit frantic if you've got a few acres to cover. Are you sticking to the same acreage of osr? I'm dropping osr this year even though it's a good year to plant as regards earliness and ground conditions. Will try some second wheats instead.

€100k goes nowhere nowadays:).

Impressive.
    Would agree that having to be half to full day ahead of the drill is pushing it. Waiting until October for drilling makes things a little bit frantic if you've got a few acres to cover. Are you sticking to the same acreage of osr? I'm dropping osr this year even though it's a good year to plant as regards earliness and ground conditions. Will try some second wheats instead.

€100k goes nowhere nowadays:).

The difference in late vs early drilled stuff is just too big being honest, as in being able to crop the field and getting in a forager to take strips out all over the field big difference! I will beg borrow or steel another drill if needed and put them on 24hrs, neighbour I get on well with has a 750a jd that could be hungry for a few extra acres! If needed..
    Dropping some osr for spring cropping, have a few things want to try and got that neighbour to dd some osr on a lighter out block of ground don't think the Nasty clays will dd as not self structuring soils, just try add more organic matter but will try on the other block
    Same wheat average , in theory!

We traded a late 08 plate 8430 3700hrs auto-steer setup/ 09 6930 4900hrs barely covered an admittedly FULL spec 6210r but still. Money involved gone crazy

• Advertisement
Advertisement