Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

banned from UK forum

Options
  • 18-06-2014 9:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭

Thread in question: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=90870659#post90870659

I spoke to the mod by pm after the warning (no response) and after the ban (no resolution).

Could I have someone look into this for me please? I am disputing the ban here.

I don't believe I broke the charter as I did not argue with the mod's decision in thread, I just posted to warn the previous poster that I had been carded and to be careful.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Hi there. Thanks for clarifying that you have already discussed this with the mod.

While you did not argue with the moderator on-thread, you did comment on & question a moderator action on-thread. These are contrary to the site rules as contained I the FAQ (linked at the bottom of each page). Additionally, you attempted to back-seat moderate.

These actions only serve to drag threads further off-topic.

Given your earlier off-topic posts in the thread which resulted in moderator action find the ban appropriate in the circumstances.

You may appeal to an Admin if you wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

I would like to appeal to an admin please.
    Hi there. Thanks for clarifying that you have already discussed this with the mod.

While you did not argue with the moderator on-thread, you did comment on & question a moderator action on-thread. These are contrary to the site rules as contained I the FAQ (linked at the bottom of each page).

No where have I ever read that commenting on a moderator action was against the rules. I did not question the moderator's action.
    Additionally, you attempted to back-seat moderate.

I simply tried to help out a fellow poster on thread warning him that I got carded for a similar post. I don't see this as back seat moderation - I wasn't abusive or aggressive at him nor directing him, just giving him a heads-up!
    These actions only serve to drag threads further off-topic.

Given your earlier off-topic posts in the thread which resulted in moderator action find the ban appropriate in the circumstances.

You may appeal to an Admin if you wish.

Lastly I don't believe nor agree that the earlier posts were off topic as they were fundamental to the question posed by they OP about how to get cheap car insurance. Avoiding penalty points by using a foreign license is one (legal though maybe immoral) way.

enda1 wrote: »
    No where have I ever read that commenting on a moderator action was against the rules. I did not question the moderator's action.
    Not reading the rules is not an excuse. You have been on this site long enough to know that you do not comment on mod action on-thread.
    enda1 wrote:
    I simply tried to help out a fellow poster on thread warning him that I got carded for a similar post. I don't see this as back seat moderation - I wasn't abusive or aggressive at him nor directing him, just giving him a heads-up!
    What you posted was...
    I've gone through this with him already but my posts got deleted and I got carded. Go figure, but thread carefully!
    That is back-seat moderation - plain & simple. You could have PM'd the poster, but by commenting on-thread it was dragging the thread further off-topic.
    enda1 wrote:
    Lastly I don't believe nor agree that the earlier posts were off topic as they were fundamental to the question posed by they OP about how to get cheap car insurance. Avoiding penalty points by using a foreign license is one (legal though maybe immoral) way.
    Raise this via PM with the moderator.

I shall request an Admin review.

Not reading the rules is not an excuse. You have been on this site long enough to know that you do not comment on mod action on-thread.

What you posted was...
    That is back-seat moderation - plain & simple. You could have PM'd the poster, but by commenting on-thread it was dragging the thread further off-topic.

Raise this via PM with the moderator.

I shall request an Admin review.

I raised it, he never responded.

I read the rules, I can not see anywhere in the rules (neither the charter nor the FAQ) that what I did was wrong.

Perhaps that's your interpretation of back-seat moderation. I don't believe so as the spirit of the post was good.

You were telling someone how to behave on-thread. That is Back-seat Moderation.

If your PM went unanswered (some mods have real lives too) you should have PM'd another mod of the forum or brought it to the attention of the CMods.

• Advertisement

You were telling someone how to behave on-thread. That is Back-seat Moderation.

If your PM went unanswered (some mods have real lives too) you should have PM'd another mod of the forum or brought it to the attention of the CMods.

The PM was sent in May, I left it at that but probably shouldn't have.

I wasn't telling someone how to behave. I was acting in the community spirit by trying to help someone out. I was trying to help the guy, not push an agenda.

An Admin review has been requested for you.

Take care,

tHB

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

After your post got yellow-carded and deleted, the moderator posted:
    If you're concerned about trolling, report the post. Do not drag the thread off-topic. Any more off-topic, abusive or argumentative posts will result in disciplinary action.
    The post that earned the ban was:
    I've gone through this with him already but my posts got deleted and I got carded. Go figure, but thread carefully!
    That's off-topic, and it falls under the site-wide rules of not discussing moderator actions on the thread, and of backseat modding.

The ban is upheld.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement