Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord/Agent Problems

Options
  • 18-06-2014 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

I moved into a rented apartment in November and I'm having issues with the agent and landlord of the property.

The previous tenant left 2 full panda bins outside the apartment upon leaving and we have been told numerous times that they will be collected - it's June now. The smell of built up rubbish in the hall is terrible and we would often leave a window open to air it out. We've had to drop bins off at our parents homes and recycling centre because out of principle - we refuse to pay for those bins to be removed.

When we raise the issue - the landlord says that he is trying to track down the previous tenant to bill them however I believe he is liable for this. It is not our problem he gave their deposit back to them without the agent checking the property.

The washing machine has now broken and it's been a week and I'm being left in the dark. He had someone look at it yesterday but he was a repair man and we needed a plumber. I raised this issue with him yesterday and he replied that he would get someone (would not give a time) and then took issue with me cause a window was left open (to air the hallway from the smell of bin on the hottest day of the year)

I want to write to him formally and tell him that the cost of removing the bins and laundry will now be deducted from next months rent. Give him the opportunity to sort both out before actually going ahead with it though. What to you guys think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭debabyjesus

You could just pay for the bins to be emptied and move on with your life.

On the washing machine id just get in touch with the landlord and tell him you need it fixed or replaced today and if its not you'll get it fixed or replaced yourself and send him the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭brannid3

You could just pay for the bins to be emptied and move on with your life.

On the washing machine id just get in touch with the landlord and tell him you need it fixed or replaced today and if its not you'll get it fixed or replaced yourself and send him the bill.

Using that logic, why shouldn't I send him the bill for the bins?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

You've had the previous tenant's bins for 8 months?

You've had the previous tenant's bins for 8 months?

Yip, outside on the road. Landlord keeps saying the agent is sorting it and visa versa.

Ah that's not on. If they haven't tracked down the tenant in a week, it's been too long, never mind the best part of a year. Regardless, could you suggest they remove the bin and deal with at their convenience, rather than have it sitting outside your place.

I'm sure there's a public health problem here. Have the neighbours not been complaining?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Are these regular wheelie bins or some sort of larger one?

I'd just pay it and deduct from next month's rent (with landlords approval of course)

Ah that's not on. If they haven't tracked down the tenant in a week, it's been too long, never mind the best part of a year. Regardless, could you suggest they remove the bin and deal with at their convenience, rather than have it sitting outside your place.

I'm sure there's a public health problem here. Have the neighbours not been complaining?

I think the guy is too mean/cheap to clear it himself. He refuses to clear it till he can re coop the cost of paying panda off.

The neighbours are tolerating it only because I've apologised to them several times to be honest. They are being really decent about the whole thing.

I was thinking of contacting the council and advising them that there's basically an illegal dumping issue in the estate?

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Are these regular wheelie bins or some sort of larger one?

I'd just pay it and deduct from next month's rent (with landlords approval of course)

I think seeing approval from him will be difficult..

brannid3 wrote: »
    I think seeing approval from him will be difficult..

Is this over the sake of < €20 (wheelie bins are about €8/9 a lift right?)

I'd just pay it to get rid of the health hazard/smell but before doing so I'd tell him in writing (text should do) that you plan to do this within 5 days and will be deducting the cost from the rent unless he offers an alternative to remove the health risk within that timeframe

Is this over the sake of < €20 (wheelie bins are about €8/9 a lift right?)

I'd just pay it to get rid of the health hazard/smell but before doing so I'd tell him in writing (text should do) that you plan to do this within 5 days and will be deducting the cost from the rent unless he offers an alternative to remove the health risk within that timeframe

It's possible there's an outstanding debt owed to Panda. Is that the case OP? Otherwise for €20 I'd bite the bullet to be rid of the bins.

• Advertisement

It's possible there's an outstanding debt owed to Panda. Is that the case OP? Otherwise for €20 I'd bite the bullet to be rid of the bins.

There seems to be some outstanding debt from the previous tenant. They agent says that new replacement bins are needed altogether at that's 80 squid - this is what they are trying to recover from the previous tenant.

However I'm sure and if I explained to panda, they'd remove the crap for 20 quid? Let them stress over replacement bins?

There seems to be some outstanding debt from the previous tenant. They agent says that new replacement bins are needed altogether at that's 80 squid - this is what they are trying to recover from the previous tenant.

However I'm sure and if I explained to panda, they'd remove the crap for 20 quid? Let them stress over replacement bins?

Why are replacement bins needed? Surely the bins are still there and functional. If not, then Panda won't lift them anyway.

Why are replacement bins needed? Surely the bins are still there and functional. If not, then Panda won't lift them anyway.

To me, it looks like replacement bins aren't needed. The landlord just said to me "we can't clear the bins until the previous woman has paid, when the account closes they take the 2 bins away and replace, otherwise if outstanding debt, they leave them till paid".

I have no idea if there is any truth in that to be honest. To me they just need to be emptied.

I'll ring panda though and will pay for them to take and let him know what I intend to do.

To me, it looks like replacement bins aren't needed. The landlord just said to me "we can't clear the bins until the previous woman has paid, when the account closes they take the 2 bins away and replace, otherwise if outstanding debt, they leave them till paid".

I have no idea if there is any truth in that to be honest. To me they just need to be emptied.

I'll ring panda though and will pay for them to take and let him know what I intend to do.

OK the replacement bins thing just sounds like administrative red tape because they're linked to the previous tenants account. Same as how Sky for example insist on supplying a new box even if there's one in place.

Call them, tell them you've moved in and would like to setup an account. The previous debt is the last tenant's/landlords problem really but if it's €20 or less to lift the bins I'd pay and proceed as I suggested above

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

Personally, I would email the landlord first and say that you are giving him 10 days to get the bins collected and that you are giving him formal written notice that if the bins are not collected, that you will settle the bill yourself and will deduct the amount from the rent. (As far as I know, each landlord must get the house cleaned before the next tenant comes in anyway....obviously your landlord didn't do this).

I would also mention in the email to your landlord that if this does not get sorted in the next 10 days that you will bring this matter to the Private Residential Tenancies Board to make a complaint about the landlord.

Also Threshold.ie offers free advice to tenants to maybe give them a shout and they can give you some properly informed advice!

Good luck!

Ashbx wrote: »
    Personally, I would email the landlord first and say that you are giving him 10 days to get the bins collected and that you are giving him formal written notice that if the bins are not collected, that you will settle the bill yourself and will deduct the amount from the rent. (As far as I know, each landlord must get the house cleaned before the next tenant comes in anyway....obviously your landlord didn't do this).

I would also mention in the email to your landlord that if this does not get sorted in the next 10 days that you will bring this matter to the Private Residential Tenancies Board to make a complaint about the landlord.

Also Threshold.ie offers free advice to tenants to maybe give them a shout and they can give you some properly informed advice!

Good luck!

Thank you, sound advise.

You are in no way legally allowed to deduct money from the rent without the landlord's consent. By all means, threaten a PRTB complaint and follow through on it if the landlord doesn't do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

You are in no way legally allowed to deduct money from the rent without the landlord's consent. By all means, threaten a PRTB complaint and follow through on it if the landlord doesn't do anything.

I do agree with that but if this has been going on for 8 months, and in the OPs last email they have given him written notice that they will deduct the amount if they haven't heard from him, then I dont see what other choice they have. They have given plenty of notice at this stage. And the landlord CANNOT leave a person to live with 8 months of rubbish in their hall....its completely out of order!

OP, you could even put a note in the mail saying "if I do not receive an email reply from you within 10 working days, I will take the silence to be consent to do this". That way you are giving them full opportunity to oppose to this. If you threaten to inform the PRTB, I have no doubt you will get a response pretty smartly!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,454 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I had a tenant that hadn't settles their bin charges so i rang the company and explained it they just cleared the account and set it up for the new tenants
    So I would just ring them and say you have moved in and just set up a new account

Skerries wrote: »
    I had a tenant that hadn't settles their bin charges so i rang the company and explained it they just cleared the account and set it up for the new tenants
    So I would just ring them and say you have moved in and just set up a new account

I called Panda, she said that there were 9 bins registered to the apartment a large outstanding bill but could not discuss the details. She said that it was the landlords problem and I can't take over the account..

• Advertisement

See this is where the whole process falls down in this country.

In the real world we have a landlord dragging their heels and the tenant is the one suffering the consequences - and in this case, potential health hazard

So the tenant should go to the PRTB, log a dispute, wait a year and maybe it'll go in their favour? What do they do in the meantime? OK in this case it's a fairly simple issue that can likely be resolved for €20 (or free based on Skerries reply) but there's countless similar - and more serious - incidents reported on this forum daily.

It's always funny how landlords object to the idea of hitting them where it hurts when they've sat on/ignored the problem after being given ample opportunity to resolve it (as in this case), and they'll point to the PRTB being the solution and how it protects tenants etc etc - but they're not the ones affected by the problem are they? Nope, they'll still be secure at home free to wash their hands of it because in the REAL world very little is likely to happen to them.

Interesting that! As I've said before.. too many landlords out there that want all of the reward and none of the work/risk.

See this is where the whole process falls down in this country.

In the real world we have a landlord dragging their heels and the tenant is the one suffering the consequences - and in this case, potential health hazard

I'm not advocating the system, only explaining it. Unpaid rent can be used against a tenant if a PRTB case does come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

It's always funny how landlords object to the idea of hitting them where it hurts when they've sat on/ignored the problem after being given ample opportunity to resolve it (as in this case), and they'll point to the PRTB being the solution and how it protects tenants etc etc - but they're not the ones affected by the problem are they? Nope, they'll still be secure at home free to wash their hands of it because in the REAL world very little is likely to happen to them.

Interesting that! As I've said before.. too many landlords out there that want all of the reward and none of the work/risk.

As a bit of a balance to the landlord bashing, remember that this issue has arisen on account of the actions of irresponsible tenants walking away and leaving unpaid bills

As a bit of a balance to the landlord bashing, remember that this issue has arisen on account of the actions of irresponsible tenants walking away and leaving unpaid bills

Yes but it's the landlord's job to sort it out as the property owner, not the OP - especially as (based on the OP's last post) the waste company won't deal with him anyway.

The landlord is free to pursue the last tenant through the PRTB or courts if they wish. The OP shouldn't have to put up with it or be out of pocket as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Ashbx wrote: »
    I do agree with that but if this has been going on for 8 months, and in the OPs last email they have given him written notice that they will deduct the amount if they haven't heard from him, then I dont see what other choice they have. They have given plenty of notice at this stage. And the landlord CANNOT leave a person to live with 8 months of rubbish in their hall....its completely out of order!

OP, you could even put a note in the mail saying "if I do not receive an email reply from you within 10 working days, I will take the silence to be consent to do this". That way you are giving them full opportunity to oppose to this. If you threaten to inform the PRTB, I have no doubt you will get a response pretty smartly!

Silence does not constitute consent.....so don't do that.

Any and all deductions from the rent must be pre-approved by the landlord or an agent working for him.

OP I would ring Panda and explain to them that you are living in a house and that there seems to be abandoned bins belonging to them left outside and can they remove them as you don't know who they belong to.
    Are you obliged to have Panda as your bin company? Can you get your bin services from another company?

Silence does not constitute consent.....so don't do that.

Any and all deductions from the rent must be pre-approved by the landlord or an agent working for him.

OP I would ring Panda and explain to them that you are living in a house and that there seems to be abandoned bins belonging to them left outside and can they remove them as you don't know who they belong to.
    Are you obliged to have Panda as your bin company? Can you get your bin services from another company?

I called them! They are owed money so won't really assist. The bins are in previous tenants name as well..

I called them! They are owed money so won't really assist. The bins are in previous tenants name as well..

But are you obliged to use them as a service provider? If you have your own bins (fully operational, no arrears etc) then you could report to the council that Panda are refusing to collect their bins which are full and a health hazard.

But are you obliged to use them as a service provider? If you have your own bins (fully operational, no arrears etc) then you could report to the council that Panda are refusing to collect their bins which are full and a health hazard.

I think I might just have to do that with the council to be honest. Absolutely fed up. Just hope they don't fine the landlord and fine the previous tenant! People are such lazy gits sometimes!

I think I might just have to do that with the council to be honest. Absolutely fed up. Just hope they don't fine the landlord and fine the previous tenant! People are such lazy gits sometimes!

Let them fine the landlord, it's not your debt or your account.
    With the weather as it is now, I'd be getting onto the council pronto.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

I called Panda, she said that there were 9 bins registered to the apartment a large outstanding bill but could not discuss the details. She said that it was the landlords problem and I can't take over the account..

But have you tried to set up a NEW account with Panda? How are you getting your bins emptied now - are you saying you've 8 months of your won rubbish piled up?

Advertisement