Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord/Agent Problems

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭willfarmerman

Honestly is it that hard to find a place to rent? Get out of there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Honestly is it that hard to find a place to rent? Get out of there.

Yes in Dublin it is that hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭brannid3

But have you tried to set up a NEW account with Panda? How are you getting your bins emptied now - are you saying you've 8 months of your won rubbish piled up?

No my parents are taking the bins weekly. I've tried but there are 9 bins outside apparently registered to the address. I do not wish to add another 2.

brannid3 wrote: »
    No my parents are taking the bins weekly. I've tried but there are 9 bins outside apparently registered to the address. I do not wish to add another 2.

Are there actually 9 bins outside, as you only mentioned the two full ones. If not, where are all the bins gone?

Are there actually 9 bins outside, as you only mentioned the two full ones. If not, where are all the bins gone?

There are 9 bins outside. Panda said that these are registered to the house. I am only trying to get 2 sorted out, I'm not taking responsibility for 9. Half these bins are full

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Call the HSE and local council. Tell them there are 9 full or partly full bins outside your home that you have no responsibility for but which the refuse company are refusing to collect owing to some sort of payment dispute with a previous tenant/owner of the property

Either that or tell your landlord you will be moving out as soon as you can arrange it as a result of his inaction and the health risk. Log a case with the PRTB to this effect as well.

There are 9 bins outside. Panda said that these are registered to the house. I am only trying to get 2 sorted out, I'm not taking responsibility for 9. Half these bins are full

Are you in a block of flats? Do these belong to other people in the same building? This just keeps getting stranger. Why would someone get 9 bins on the same account?

Are you in a block of flats? Do these belong to other people in the same building? This just keeps getting stranger. Why would someone get 9 bins on the same account?

I live a block of flats, there are 9 bins along a wall at the front of 2 houses (4 apartments). I live upstairs.

So there are 9 bins in front of the wall. I initially thought the others were my neighbours downstairs but they actually drag their bins underneath the stairs when collection is over.

I think she's wrong there can't be 9 bins registered but then again I've never seen anyone using them? She may have meant they are owed for 9 bins.

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Call the HSE and local council. Tell them there are 9 full or partly full bins outside your home that you have no responsibility for but which the refuse company are refusing to collect owing to some sort of payment dispute with a previous tenant/owner of the property

Either that or tell your landlord you will be moving out as soon as you can arrange it as a result of his inaction and the health risk. Log a case with the PRTB to this effect as well.

Thanks for the advice. I believe panda is wrong about the 9 but there are definitely a few bins registered to my flat.

I'm going to call around to my neighbours and find out whose bin is whose. The remainder I'll report to the council. Such a hassle but has to be done.

It's not someone. It's more than likely all the previous tenants that flocked off and didn't close their accounts. It's a years lease with the place so it's had numerous past tenants that did not leave carrying their bins with them. Presumably panda never collected as it costs 80 quid to replace them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I called them! They are owed money so won't really assist. The bins are in previous tenants name as well..

If they told you that they are owed money then get onto the data protection commissioner as they can't discuss any other account with you except your own! Then contact the council and tell them the bins are illegally dumped on the street outside, then write to the ptrb and make a complaint about the landlord.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    If they told you that they are owed money then get onto the data protection commissioner as they can't discuss any other account with you except your own! Then contact the council and tell them the bins are illegally dumped on the street outside, then write to the ptrb and make a complaint about the landlord.

Do you suggest I give agent or landlord advanced warning though?

Do you suggest I give agent or landlord advanced warning though?

I think 8 months has been sufficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

This is disgusting carry on tbh. Your landlord is dragging his heels and presumably expecting you to get so fed up that you just go ahead and deal with it yourself and leave him out of it. It is HIS responsibility and he needs to pull the finger out, stop being an a-hole and get it sorted.

hdowney wrote: »
    This is disgusting carry on tbh. Your landlord is dragging his heels and presumably expecting you to get so fed up that you just go ahead and deal with it yourself and leave him out of it. It is HIS responsibility and he needs to pull the finger out, stop being an a-hole and get it sorted.

See what I hate is that they are all smiles "we're sorting it out don't worry, all will be well soon, they must have come and picked up the wrong bins, I'm ringing them twice a week...".

I feel like I'm the eejit for not being the stronger person initially and allowing them to get the impression they could do this in the first place! Guess I better man the f**k up!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

See what I hate is that they are all smiles "we're sorting it out don't worry, all will be well soon, they must have come and picked up the wrong bins, I'm ringing them twice a week...".

I feel like I'm the eejit for not being the stronger person initially and allowing them to get the impression they could do this in the first place! Guess I better man the f**k up!

Tell him he has till Tuesday next to resolve the situation or you will:

a) Do so yourself, and deduct the cost from next month's rent and log this with the PRTB

(For everyone else - yes yes, I know this isn't "allowed" but the rules only work when EVERYONE plays by them which this lanlord clearly isn't doing - 8 months later!)

OR

b) Be giving your notice and logging the case with the PRTB, local Council and HSE

Then give him till 5PM tomorrow to respond

Time to play hard ball with this guy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

A tenant is allowed to fix things and use the rent to pay for it but only where the landlord or their agents have failed to deal with and resolve the issues.

OP you can give the landlord a final notice to get the washing machine repaired or put him on notice that you will get it done your self and deduct the reasonable cost from your rent. That might get him off his arse!

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Tell him he has till Tuesday next to resolve the situation or you will:

a) Do so yourself, and deduct the cost from next month's rent and log this with the PRTB

(For everyone else - yes yes, I know this isn't "allowed" but the rules only work when EVERYONE plays by them which this lanlord clearly isn't doing - 8 months later!)

OR

b) Be giving your notice and logging the case with the PRTB, local Council and HSE

Then give him till 5PM tomorrow to respond

Time to play hard ball with this guy!

I second this! :)

Advertisement