Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is comptia a+ a good course to do if interested in repairing computers

Options
  • 18-06-2014 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

I'm interested in repairing laptops/pc's on the side as I already have a full time job. was looking at different courses, which there aren't too many of, and any I saw are very expensive and also I need to do night classes or online because of my job.came across comptia a+ with fas which is 120e it sounds good but would it be a good course to do for repairing computers?
    Thanks for any responses!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭STEINBERG

Honestly if you have a full time job doing it then im pretty sure the course wont teach you anything new. How long have you been doing it in your current

Go to the Comptia website and download the exam objectives and you will see what you can possible be tested on during the day.. The exam is easy enough to be fair.. i would just buy a good reference book and try some exam dumps to see how you get on...

• Registered Users Posts: 14 emho14

STEINBERG wrote: »
    Honestly if you have a full time job doing it then im pretty sure the course wont teach you anything new. How long have you been doing it in your current

Go to the Comptia website and download the exam objectives and you will see what you can possible be tested on during the day.. The exam is easy enough to be fair.. i would just buy a good reference book and try some exam dumps to see how you get on...

No sorry I mean I have a full time job, not computer related!I'm looking to do this on the side and then maybe eventually change jobs!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Yeah its a good course. Covers the Windows operating systems and is definitely a good starting point for PC assembly and understanding how a PC works. There's no substitute for messing around with computers yourself though, so get a PC to practice on and take it apart and reassemble it. Thats how I learnt most of the relevant stuff that you need to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

you want to check the fine print with FAS
    there is no way you get the official comptia A+ for €120
    these are two exams and would expect to be around 300 mark from an authorized vendor if not more.

The course could well be 120 but the exams would be separate I'd have thought. I paid 150 for each exam I think.

• Advertisement

Laviski wrote: »
    you want to check the fine print with FAS
    there is no way you get the official comptia A+ for €120
    these are two exams and would expect to be around 300 mark from an authorized vendor if not more.

Yeah that's just the course the exams are separate!but fas are definitely the cheapest

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Yeah its a good course. Covers the Windows operating systems and is definitely a good starting point for PC assembly and understanding how a PC works. There's no substitute for messing around with computers yourself though, so get a PC to practice on and take it apart and reassemble it. Thats how I learnt most of the relevant stuff that you need to know.

That's good to know.Yeah I have an old pc that I've been taking apart and I'll be getting a new laptop soon so will use my old laptop to take apart and reassemble! Did you do the a+ ?

emho14 wrote: »
    That's good to know.Yeah I have an old pc that I've been taking apart and I'll be getting a new laptop soon so will use my old laptop to take apart and reassemble! Did you do the a+ ?

Yeah I enjoyed it I must say. Its a good starter course for a career in IT. Make sure you spend time on the practical side though. The exams are multiple choice, there's no actual practical work involved. So its important to take the time to learn practical stuff yourself. Makes some of the theory make a lot more sense when you see the stuff in action!

Yeah I enjoyed it I must say. Its a good starter course for a career in IT. Make sure you spend time on the practical side though. The exams are multiple choice, there's no actual practical work involved. So its important to take the time to learn practical stuff yourself. Makes some of the theory make a lot more sense when you see the stuff in action!

What might the practical questions involve?so do you think this would be a good start if I was looking to repair computers myself?

What might the practical questions involve?so do you think this would be a good start if I was looking to repair computers myself?

Yeah its definitely a good course if you want to get into PC repair. The best thing to do would be to have a look at some sample questions on the CompTIA website to see what they look for.

http://certification.comptia.org/getCertified/certifications/a.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

You could get the Mike Meyers Book and self study instead. Comes with some sample exams (or the version i got did anyway). Not sure if things have moved on since (2011)

Lu Tze wrote: »
    You could get the Mike Meyers Book and self study instead. Comes with some sample exams (or the version i got did anyway). Not sure if things have moved on since (2011)

Yeah I saw the book and study guide online.and do you mean get those aswel as do the course yeah?

Yeah its definitely a good course if you want to get into PC repair. The best thing to do would be to have a look at some sample questions on the CompTIA website to see what they look

Would you recommend anything to do after I complete the course and exam?or would passing the exam and then getting hands on experience be enough?

Would you recommend anything to do after I complete the course and exam?or would passing the exam and then getting hands on experience be enough?

Well it depends on what you want to do really, do you just want to be able to repair computers as in set up a business doing that, or do you want to branch out into areas such as networking?

Well it depends on what you want to do really, do you just want to be able to repair computers as in set up a business doing that, or do you want to branch out into areas such as networking?

Well at the moment I just want to repair computers in my spare time for extra cash on top of my normal wage then seeing how things go think about starting up my own business!

Well at the moment I just want to repair computers in my spare time for extra cash on top of my normal wage then seeing how things go think about starting up my own business!

Yep then the A+ would be a very good course for you. If you enjoy that and want to go further, maybe check out the Network+ or a Cisco qualification. But really, the A+ is the best if you just want to do repairs.

Yep then the A+ would be a very good course for you. If you enjoy that and want to go further, maybe check out the Network+ or a Cisco qualification. But really, the A+ is the best if you just want to do repairs.

Ok so.hey thanks a lot for answering my questions.I've been unsure wether I was doing the right course for what I wanted to do but you're after clearing things up for me.sound man

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭jos22

the time I did the A+ I just use the mike myers book and watch a couple of these free videos https://www.youtube.com/user/professormesser

and use this site for some practice exams there study guide not bad either.

But you can't go wrong with Mikes book

Ok so.hey thanks a lot for answering my questions.I've been unsure wether I was doing the right course for what I wanted to do but you're after clearing things up for me.sound man

No hassles at all dude. Good luck with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

instead of paying fas i would go with
    http://www.measureup.com/

very good practice tests if you do these to 100% you will walk through the exam.

there are other free ones but i found that site to be very helpful.

and as mentioned already
    mike myers book
    and professor messer videos.

• Advertisement

CBT Nuggets videos are also good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭yawhat!

90% of what you need to cover related to fixing computers and problems you won't find in a book!

List below should cover your average home user!

Learn about testing ram, hard drives, video cards, motherboards etc.
    Learn about removing viruses.
    Learn how to put a PC and laptop together.
    Learn about formatting and re installing windows

Wallah your there basically!

Doing it for businesses is a different story altogether and would need a lot lot lot more knowledge!

Advertisement