Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I verify employees pps number?

Options
  • 18-06-2014 10:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭

Is there anyway to verify an employees pps number? I want to know whether it belongs to them or not.

I've heard rumours of (foreign) workers working under friends pps numbers. Does their name have to correspond with the pps number or is it possible for them to use a different pps number while still using their own name?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Is there anyway to verify an employees pps number? I want to know whether it belongs to them or not.

I've heard rumours of (foreign) workers working under friends pps numbers. Does their name have to correspond with the pps number or is it possible for them to use a different pps number while still using their own name?

Thanks

Why is it any concern of yours ?

Your not an employer.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

From http://www.revenue.ie/en/business/paye/guide/employers-guide-paye-recommencing.html#section3

3. Personal public service numbers

The Personal Public Service number is an individual's unique reference number and is issued by the Department of Social Protection. It is used for a wide variety of public services, such as Social Welfare, Revenue, Public Health care and Education.

On commencement of employment, the employer must take reasonable measures to verify that the PPS number provided is a valid one and that it refers to the employee who provided it. The employer will be regarded as having taken reasonable measures where they check the PPS number provided against any of the following documents:

A tax credit certificate from a previous employment
    A form P45
    A Social Welfare services card or PPSN registration letter issued by the Department of Social Protection
    A notice of assessment to income tax or capital gains tax
    A form P21 Balancing Statement
    A form P60
    Any other item of correspondence from Revenue which specifically quotes the PPS number
    A pay slip from a previous employer which shows the PPS number

The above is for Employers, if you're not the individuals employer then I doubt you have any right to check.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Young Blood

Graham wrote: »
    3. Personal public service numbers

The Personal Public Service number is an individual's unique reference number and is issued by the Department of Social Protection. It is used for a wide variety of public services, such as Social Welfare, Revenue, Public Health care and Education.

On commencement of employment, the employer must take reasonable measures to verify that the PPS number provided is a valid one and that it refers to the employee who provided it. The employer will be regarded as having taken reasonable measures where they check the PPS number provided against any of the following documents:

A tax credit certificate from a previous employment
    A form P45
    A Social Welfare services card or PPSN registration letter issued by the Department of Social Protection
    A notice of assessment to income tax or capital gains tax
    A form P21 Balancing Statement
    A form P60
    Any other item of correspondence from Revenue which specifically quotes the PPS number
    A pay slip from a previous employer which shows the PPS number

The above is for Employers, if you're not the individuals employer then I doubt you have any right to check.

Thanks for that Graham.

That's interesting enough. I was just curious to know how the system worked. It seems to be the case that a worker could work under some one else's pps number without the revenue or employer knowing if they took the right fraudulent and preventative measure.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Thanks for that Graham.

That's interesting enough. I was just curious to know how the system worked. It seems to be the case that a worker could work under some one else's pps number without the revenue or employer knowing if they took the right fraudulent and preventative measure.

True, although if the real owner of the PPS number was already paying PAYE the fraudulent worker would probably find himself being taxed at full whack on every penny he worked for.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Tow

True, although if the real owner of the PPS number was already paying PAYE the fraudulent worker would probably find himself being taxed at full whack on every penny he worked for.

The fun really starts then 4 or 5 of your Polish employees all use the same bank account, and that employee does a runner...

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭dbran

Who's to say they are working! A few years ago there were cases where the PPS numbers were being sold complete with DSP benifits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

What's the benefit of using someone elses pps number if you're an EU national? Is it dole related?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭dbran

Yes and Tax refunds also.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭wellieboot

Ask if the employee has the new Public Services Card complete with photo and signature. The old one should have a signature also.

Advertisement