Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any guidance or ideas for setting up my house?

• 18-06-2014 10:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭

Hiya all.

I have read the stickies and this appears to be the best place for this. (unless you know better :D)

I am a newbie to this, so please go easy on me !

I will give details of what I have and maybe you could suggest how to join it up.

I have a house. I have two laptops, I have a standard non-smart tv, I have UPC horizon 200 meg internet with plug based wifi extender to the far side of the house. I have a couple of physical hard drives, I have a desktop pc. I have a dvd and video collection built up over a few years. I have hundreds of my favourite files, in various formats, built up over the laptops and desktop.

NOW. Is there a way to centrally store my large collection, which is spread over the entire physical storage range listed above, so I can access it on my tv, a laptop, or phone. Basically, can I get some sort of a central hub where I can link them all/access them all/store them all, so I can maybe watch anything from my collection, in my house.

I am a newbie! I have read about google gizmos, raspberry Pii and iomega media centre things, but am a bit lost.

Many thanks in advance.

superscouse

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Hiya all.

I have read the stickies and this appears to be the best place for this. (unless you know better :D)

I am a newbie to this, so please go easy on me !

I will give details of what I have and maybe you could suggest how to join it up.

I have a house. I have two laptops, I have a standard non-smart tv, I have UPC horizon 200 meg internet with plug based wifi extender to the far side of the house. I have a couple of physical hard drives, I have a desktop pc. I have a dvd and video collection built up over a few years. I have hundreds of my favourite files, in various formats, built up over the laptops and desktop.

NOW. Is there a way to centrally store my large collection, which is spread over the entire physical storage range listed above, so I can access it on my tv, a laptop, or phone. Basically, can I get some sort of a central hub where I can link them all/access them all/store them all, so I can maybe watch anything from my collection, in my house.

I am a newbie! I have read about google gizmos, raspberry Pii and iomega media centre things, but am a bit lost.

Many thanks in advance.

superscouse

Anybody?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Anybody?

Short answer is yes, there are plenty of gizmos to do what you want.
    What is your budget?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

get a nas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Not sure. Maybe 100 euro or so? I have seen adverts for media players, and I have a horizon box with usb ports on the back.

I am completely new to this, the suggestion of a NAS sent me to Wilkapedia!

Is it as simple as dropping the files onto a hard drive and plugging it into the back of the horizon box?

I told you I was new to this...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

This NAS is a pretty easy one to use and is suited as a media store: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056556502

I use this and then my smart TV can play directly from the shared folder. Without a smart TV you'll need another device to play your media on your tv. Not sure if the horizon box will work..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭fuse

Use a NAS as your central hub. Look at Synology or Qnap NAS, they have a good reputation and a wide user base so you can google different setups.

You could find one that you can hold all your media and run Plex (https://plex.tv/) or xbmc to keep it organised.

You could pick up a Chromecast, Apple TV or Raspberry Pi to stream the media on your TV.

Advertisement