Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Life in Cavan

• 18-06-2014 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi there

I know this topic has been covered many time before but I would like to ask again.

I currently live in dublin with my husband and 3 kids. we are considering moving to cavan for a better live with the kids. The main benefit would be that as our mortgage would be lower only one of us needs to work and other can stay at home with kids. I would like a simplier live for the kids growing up. I am orginally from Mayo and husband is from dublin.

I am very nervous abou the decision as I would be giving up a permenant job and we have a nice house here. But at the same time I am sick of the rat race.

My husband works right in the centre of dublin just off o'connell street so any advise on what commute would be like would be helpful

I would like to know about community live there is there activities clubs for the kids to get involved it. Are there rough areas in cavan to avoid.

I have been reading through the posts here relating to cavan and I cannot help but notice a small resentiment towards all things dublin - hopefully I am misreading. Just wondering is this was the case.

Thanks
    J

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Hi,

We where both from Dublin and moved to Cavan 10 years ago. We both commuted for a while before I gave up and got a job in Cavan. SHe continued to work in Dublin. At 1st its easy enough but as time goes on the commute is not easy wither by car or bus. Its a loooong drive in the winter. Motorway has helped but the traffic into the city centre depending on which route you take eventually brings you to lots of traffic.

So, if you can leave/start earlier its a plus.

As for lifestlye, it is different. Unless you move in the middle of a town a car is essential as there is no public bus system thats worth anything.

What part of Cavan are you thinking off? CAuse there is of course bad bits in any town in Ireland and just so you know Cavan is a rather large place :-)

As for the "they hate dubs" thing, no. If your not a a**hole then you will not have any problems and tbh any issues (not many) I've had where from other Dub's.

GAA and Farming are a big thing so be careful to understand that these things happen. If you live in the country side parts, yes you will have the odd live stock in your garden, yes you will meet tons of farm machinery on the roads, yes it can be smelly when they spread **** in the field beside you. I am pretty sure this would go for any other rural place in the country but it was something that took me a while to get use too.

On the plus side. You can see the stars, the walks are great, the lakes are class, the peace at night time is something else, the locals beside me are 100% amazing folks.

I'd not move back ever. I did go to Dublin alot at the start and now its only when I have to and the difference is huge IMHO.

As for things for kids. Schools are great, things to do at the weekends are numerous.

Lets know what part and I can give you more information.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 JKSSS

Thanks a million for the reply.

I was intially thinking of Mullagh or Virgina as they are on the dublin side no other reason really. If you have any insight or suggestions. I am going to rent somewhere for a week and travel around a bit and see what I make of it.

I am looking forward to space around me and not feeling like you have an audience everytime I play with the kids in the garden.

I think I can like with the farming bit and like the fact that GAA is huge

Not up to much on Mullagh.

Virginia is very nice imho. Plenty of housing estates around with cheap rent. 400-500p/m rent for a 3 bed semi. Of course there is numerous single house with some land around them for about the same or a little more.

I lived outside Virginia for 2 years at 1st. Commute is about 30-40 mins to the M50/N3 Junction. The road is tolled at 2.20(van) per toll, of which there is 2 of them. Virginia itself has everything in it, shops, pubs, post office etc. Has a kids play centre and lots of nice parks/lakes etc.

Its only 25 mins from Cavan Town which has lots of the big shops etc. Also 20 mins from Bailieborough which as a rather large Tesco's and possible a new Aldi/Lidl going in too.

Nearest cinema/swimming pool is Cavan Town or Navan (30+mins).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,600 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Not up to much on Mullagh.

Virginia is very nice imho. Plenty of housing estates around with cheap rent. 400-500p/m rent for a 3 bed semi. Of course there is numerous single house with some land around them for about the same or a little more.

I lived outside Virginia for 2 years at 1st. Commute is about 30-40 mins to the M50/N3 Junction. The road is tolled at 2.20(van) per toll, of which there is 2 of them. Virginia itself has everything in it, shops, pubs, post office etc. Has a kids play centre and lots of nice parks/lakes etc.

Its only 25 mins from Cavan Town which has lots of the big shops etc. Also 20 mins from Bailieborough which as a rather large Tesco's and possible a new Aldi/Lidl going in too.

Nearest cinema/swimming pool is Cavan Town or Navan (30+mins).

I'd say for OP Virginia is as far into Cavan as you should go.. I commuted from Bailieborough to Dublin for 13 years which would be a little longer commute.

Just a technical point but the closest swimming pool to Virginia is Bailieborough leisure centre.. 15/20 minute drive.
    There's also a cracking theatre in Virginia.

Cavan town is out as your talking a staggering commute to O'Connell bridge. Ballyjamesduff is rough and not recommended, Mullagh is a nice little village but not much of anything happening there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 JKSSS

Thanks for the replies. I usually would have driven to swimming etc in dublin so that is not a major issue I suppose what you are missing to buggy friendly roads where you can pop to the park or the spar around the corner.

I think I am going to look into finding somewhere to rent there over the summer.

• Advertisement

Yes, my bad forgot about that swimming pool.

I'd not agree with the BJD comment. I'm pretty close to it, now they call it Ballyjamesdublin or Ballyjamesbrazil depending on who you talk to, so make of that what you will.

I would agree on the travel thing. Its easy during the summer but its a complete mind **** during the winter. And just cause its only an extra 20 mins does not make it fun. Virginia can be a complete bottle neck as there is no real handy way around it, so the dublin side of it is grand.

Advertisement