Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dogs sleeping in porches/conservatories

• 18-06-2014 1:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭

We are hopefully moving soon to a house with a large porch/small conservatory and my husband suggested that the dogs would probably enjoy it if we set up a bed for them in it. Is this safe or is it the equivalent of being in a car? Obviously we'd leave them a big bowl of water there but I'd worry that if the door accidentally got locked and they couldn't get back into the house, they'd die a very uncomfortable death. (It's brick wall at the bottom and has a slate roof, so it wouldn't be a complete hothouse.)

Even if we didn't set up a bed for them, the odds are that they'll take to lying out in it anyway as they tend to move around the sittingroom, following the light in the windows from the sun. I'd imagine that in this weather they'd avoid it but for most of the year, if it's not very hot but there is some sun, it will be their favourite part of the house. But I'm not sure if I should encourage/discourage them from lying in it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Before he goes in, monitor how hot it gets. You can get a thermometer that'll show the max.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭pawrick

I usually leave my cat in the conservatory during the day but have stopped doing it since the weather picked up. It can get incredably hot in an enclosed space under direct sun light. As the other poster said, monitor how hot it gets as there could be a lot of differences comparing your specific one to someones elses with shade levels etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

my dogs favourite room in the house is the conservatory! (Glass roof) - there is a door into it, which is ALWAYS propped open (with an armchair) - they spend most of their day in there either on a bean bag, or on the 'dog armchair' - they can watch the world (glass floor to ceiling one wall). Its always bright, and its warmer usually too. Yesterday & today they havent been out there though, too hot - they're half dead with the heat :cool: so as long as they cant get stuck in your conservatory - i.e. safe prop to ensure the door cant close - I'd say let them at it

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ms.Sunshine

I keep my dog in the front porch as it is more of a room then a small area. It doesn't get as warm as our conservatory.. It is a serious sauna when the smallest bit of sun comes out!!

Advertisement