Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employee Benefits

Options
  • 18-06-2014 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what sort of employee benefits are on offer in smallish software development companies (< 10 employees) around the country - no company names please, just an indication of the norm, e.g. health insurance, PRSAs, shares (which IMO aren't much of a benefit) etc. Looking to negotiate a few so please let me know what's out there.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

Just wondering what sort of employee benefits are on offer in smallish software development companies (< 10 employees) around the country - no company names please, just an indication of the norm, e.g. health insurance, PRSAs, shares (which IMO aren't much of a benefit) etc. Looking to negotiate a few so please let me know what's out there.

Thanks

Generally small companies will provide little to no benefits. The only context where shares would be offered would be very senior positions or an early stage start up. Paying your VHI would generally the standard, not much other than that in my experience, its large companies that have pension scheme's etc as these have an economy of scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Aswerty

I'm in a fairly young SME at the moment and our lead engineer had to fight with management just for them to buy kettle for the office. We buy our own tea and coffee. So my example would agree with ChRoMe on the lack of benefits in small buisnesses.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

You would probably get a lot more benefits from a company a little bigger. You'll have to push it I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Yeah, the benefits are generally rare, although in Ireland theres few tax free benefits anyway, so I would imagine its often less hassle to give a straight salary. For example the benefit in kind on a company car is pretty high and you loose milage on top of it. Shares could be good if the company is ever likely to expand, but your playing a long term game for sure. I'm not sure what share schemes are likd now but they used to be decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Aswerty wrote: »
    I'm in a fairly young SME at the moment and our lead engineer had to fight with management just for them to buy kettle for the office. We buy our own tea and coffee. So my example would agree with ChRoMe on the lack of benefits in small buisnesses.

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Thanks for all the replies - there goes the dreams of a company car!

• Administrators Posts: 53,843 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Thanks for all the replies - there goes the dreams of a company car!

You're better off without a company car anyway for tax reasons. :)

Advertisement