Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice on training goals

• 18-06-2014 2:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭

Hey all, looking for some advice on training and goals.

About me:
    5ft 9" tall, weigh 82kg and 18.5% body fat.

PB's so far:
    Squat 157.5kg
    Deadlift 170kg
    Bench 97.5kg
    OH press 65kg

Been training for roughly 14 months and about 3 months ago I started stronglifts 5*5 to increase strength. Lately I've been adding in accessory exercises because 5*5 wasn't doing enough. My goal is to reduce bodyfat to 12-14% and keep my weight at 82kg or increase slightly to maybe 84/85kg. I know diet is critical and this is where I think I fall down as I'm not sure whats the best way to lose body fat while retaining muscle. I don't do cardio anymore as I will also lose muscle. (I find a good squat session to get the cardio system going anyway).

So I suppose what I'm asking is how do I reduce bodyfat but keep my weight or increase it slightly. Do I need to increase protein in take and reduce carbs and fat or change my training routine? Cheers guys in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Calorie deficit. More protein and fat in your diet. Less carbs to accommodate the first two. Keep lifting heavy, increase intensity and lower frequency - 3 or 4 times a week is optimal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

82kg @ 18.5% to 85kg @ 13% is a muscle mass gain of over 7kg... that's a pretty big and unrealistic goal (and unless you're thinking 18+ months)

short term if you get your bodyfat% down, you'll actually look a lot bigger

it's weird - people always ask me if I've gotten bigger when I start dropping fat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Hanley wrote: »
    82kg @ 18.5% to 85kg @ 13% is a muscle mass gain of over 7kg... that's a pretty big and unrealistic goal (and unless you're thinking 18+ months)

short term if you get your bodyfat% down, you'll actually look a lot bigger

it's weird - people always ask me if I've gotten bigger when I start dropping fat

I dono I've lost 8-9kg in the last few months and I think I look a lot smaller. Not much comments from others cause well I'm not really around a lot with the work situation at the moment but damn am I looking forward to my bulk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Blacktie. wrote: »
    I dono I've lost 8-9kg in the last few months and I think I look a lot smaller. Not much comments from others cause well I'm not really around a lot with the work situation at the moment but damn am I looking forward to my bulk.
    Your perception is probably different as your clothes are going to be looser, physically smaller etc. but other people will equate definition with size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Mellor wrote: »
    Your perception is probably different as your clothes are going to be looser, physically smaller etc. but other people will equate definition with size.

Yeah true enough. Just reminds me of Don. The day you start lifting is the day you're forever small.

• Advertisement
Advertisement