Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf moderation gone crazy

Options
  • 18-06-2014 2:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭

I received a warning and had the following post deleted from the golf forum.
    SnowDrifts wrote: »
    Rory finally decides on who he will play for at The Olympics. Hopefully that is a weight off his shoulders. Good news.

Brian Keogh ‏@IrishGolfDesk
    "Rory McIlroy decides Olympic future: "I'm going to play for Ireland.""

Please note that nowhere did I mention the players' Nationality or whom he should play for.

The over reaching charter states the following...
    Discussing Players Nationalities
    It is forbidden to post discussions about what Nationality a player is or who they should play for. This is purely the players decision and does not belong on this forum

I have PM'd the moderator in question and he replied saying there was nothing he can do and that his hands were tied. I asked him to look at the following post after his warning and reconsider with the will of the golf forum community.

311299.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

Sorry, I forgot to post a link to the thread in question - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057038840&page=13

Mick's post above has been deleted and had some 30+ thanks the last time I checked.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

If I was looking at this purely from the post that got you your first yellow card of the day I may have had some sympathy. However your subsequent behaviour within the forum has been very poor.

You received another yellow for stating in the thread
    That's an absolute disgrace. I posted a post saying that Rory was going to play for Ireland at the Olympics and I get a warning. I never mentioned his Nationality. It's running every media outlet in the world right now. Terrible moderation
    You have confirmed via PM that you are not disputing that yellow, which uis fully understandable as I would have upheld a red card for challenging a mod action like that
    Then this commenting negatively on moderation in-thread and specifically mentioning your earlier card and dispute thread. This particular comment does not do your cause any good:
    hopefully something will come of this quasi dictatorship
    That post certainly warranted another card and probably a ban. There were other posts that the mod responded to in thread but remained in the vein of arguing with a mod in-thread. Now just to be clear, site and forum rules are not suspended for forum-specific Feedback threads and you were very lucky to escape further action from the mod.

So here's my proposal - you can have the initial yellow lifted, and I will then discuss with the mod appropriate further action in connection with your follow-up posts, or we can simply leave it there with the 2 yellows standing.

I will have my initial yellow lifted and my post re-instated because it is clearly not a breach of the stated charter and then you can wave your ban wand. If you are not going to re-instate my conforming post, then I will opt for the later proposal.

I'm still waiting for my post to be re-instated. Obviously if you have already said you will lift the initial yellow, you naturally can see that my post was not in breach of the stated charter. Please re-instate my post and lift the first yellow.

Thanks,

Snowdrifts

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

It is entirely up to the local mods as to whether they re-instate that post. They have already pointed out a thread dedicated to the Irish Olympic chances where discussion of the team is permitted (but not the choice by McIlroy to opt for Ireland discussion of which remains prohibited in the forum)

I am still considering what further action to take in connection with a number of posts I have seen from you over the past day or so

• Advertisement

So you admit I should not have got the initial yellow but still my post will not be re-instated?

Again... I will post my comment and the charter for clarity...
    SnowDrifts wrote: »
    Rory finally decides on who he will play for at The Olympics. Hopefully that is a weight off his shoulders. Good news.

Brian Keogh ‏@IrishGolfDesk
    "Rory McIlroy decides Olympic future: "I'm going to play for Ireland.""
    Discussing Players Nationalities
    It is forbidden to post discussions about what Nationality a player is or who they should play for. This is purely the players decision and does not belong on this forum

It's blindingly obvious that my post should not have been deleted and I should not have got a warning for it. Again, I did not discuss his nationality or say who he should play for. Please advise the forum mods to re-instate my post.

OK, I've been speaking to the local mods and they have agreed to the withdrawal of the yellow. I was far from happy with some of the in-thread comments you made yesterday both within the forum and elsewhere. However the mods have actually spoken up for your general behaviour and wider contributions to the forum. I am therefore not going to take any further action against those posts, but would re-iterate that if you have issues with moderation or problems with a decision such as this, you should either report the relevant posts or take it to PM as a repeat of such comments within the forum can be expected to result in a ban so please take care not to make such comments gouing forward.

I appreciate you did approach me via PM, but simultaneously you started this dispute thread and were making comments about the dispute in a couple of open forums. The only place to discuss your dispute in the open forums is within Dispute Resolution. Adopting a three-pronged approach to your appeal did not do you any favours, although the major issue was your decision to make various in-thread comments

As I've already said it's up to the local mods as to whether they re-instate your post. The fact that McIlroy has opted for Ireland has been mentioned in the Rio Olympics thread and the mods have now confirmed they are happy for the fact to be stated there. Either way this particular point is not the sujbect of your appeal. The subject is the yellow card and as already stated the mods have agreed to rescind that, so as far as I am concerned this resolves your appeal

Well I still think my post needs to be re-instated considering it is now established that the warning for my post was erroneous. The local mods unfortunately will not do so which is a shame.

With that in mind, you can mark this as resolved. Thanks for your time.

Snowdrifts

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement