Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fantasy Premier League PreSeason Prep

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭Ziegler1988

Mannone will outscore Foster again this season. Also, saves are now rewarded more in BPS and Don Vito is the king of save points

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭dahat

bodking wrote: »
    Im certainly not expecting miracles from my Defence to be honest , im trying something different this season and going 1-3-5-2 and spending heavy up front .

Rvp and who, Costa?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,668 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Im certainly not expecting miracles from my Defence to be honest , im trying something different this season and going 1-3-5-2 and spending heavy up front .

Cheaping out on defence is a strategy that will more than likely backfire. It's all well and good spending heavy up front but there will be weeks when your big hitters don't perform. Having a strong defence that returns consistent points will help to offset weak returns elsewhere in the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭touts

dahat wrote: »
    Rvp and who, Costa?

I would worry about the performances of both RVP and Costa in the World Cup. RVP was dead on his feet after 60min and faded badly as the tournament went on. Costa never really got going. I can't see either out scoring cheaper strikers by enough to justify the expense on them. I think the game is evolving to a point where strikers act as a platform from which an on rushing midfield can score rather than vice versa. Chelsea, Arsenal, City, Spurs, Everton etc all have fierce midfields and not so fierce attacks. Liverpool were the exception last year but without Suarez I can't see that being repeated. Remy and Lambert are just not at that level yet both are probably as promising as any of the strikers out there at the moment. The only exception is probably Aguero who could really stand out and justify the cost but he has been dogged with injuries and is a big risk. If he proves his fitness then I could see my wildcard being played to bring him in.

I would stick to strikers priced less than 9mil and instead go for all out attack in the midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Had a look at the 4.5m keepers with a view to rotating them. Lot of people here were talking about using Krul and Mannone. Green fixtures are "nice", orange are acceptable, white are ones you probably don't want your keeper playing in.

5xvcw0.jpg

Burnley actually have a nice first half of the season if ya fancy them to keep many CS's, their keeper rotates well with most teams.

The oft-mentiond Krul/Mannone comb will leave you with a decision between Tot(A)/Ars(H) on week 9 and Che(H)/Liv(A) in week 15.

Think I may go with Krul/Foster.

There's no perfect combo unfortunately.

I've currently got Speroni and Green for 9.5. For the first 6 GWs, that means...
    HUL, WHU, SUN, BUR, LEI, STO

It'll do me until I use my WC, probably.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭bodking

Cheaping out on defence is a strategy that will more than likely backfire. It's all well and good spending heavy up front but there will be weeks when your big hitters don't perform. Having a strong defence that returns consistent points will help to offset weak returns elsewhere in the team.

Its not a bad Defence

Mariappa - Chambers - Vlaar - Bruce - Sagna

Its not a bad Defence

Mariappa - Chambers - Vlaar - Bruce - Sagna

Vlaar is the only certain starter you have and Villa are defensively poor. Sagna will be Zab's back up most games, Mariappa and Bruce are unlikely to start every game and Chamber's role is uncertain until we see how Koeman sets up.

Cameron at Stoke is definitely not a guaranteed starter.

Huth, Shawcross and Wilson have all played centre half last season.
    Muniesa and Pieters played left back and covered centre half (and were both signed last summer)
    Bardsley signing makes that back 4 very competitive given that they now have options (in order of likelihood imo)

RB - Bardsley, Cameron, Huth & Wilkinson (shudder)
    CB - Shawcross, Huth, Bardsley, Wilson, Cameron, Muniesa
    LB - Pieters, Wilson, Muniesa, Cameron

That's too many options for me. Shawcross the only guaranteed starter and that's due to the (C).

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭bodking

dahat wrote: »
    Rvp and who, Costa?

Still going with RVP , he is dearer than last year :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Negredo out for 3 months with broken foot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,211 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Negredo out for 3 months the with broken foot.

That would make Dzeko more appealing at 8.5m.

jebforever wrote: »
    Indeed it does, This may stop Jovetic heading back to Italy now though.

I would think Dzeko was ahead of Negredo anyway. Its the fitness of Aguero that is the big uncertainty about the amount of game time Dzeko will get. If Aguero gets fit and starts a good string of games Dzeko will just be picking up 10 or 15 minutes here and there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

touts wrote: »
    I would stick to strikers priced less than 9mil and instead go for all out attack in the midfield.

Yeah I'm thinking this might be my strategy. At least for the first few games. Will also monitor RVP in the friendlies, but it would surprise me at all if he is a bit off form for the first few games of the season. Thinking of 2 strikers around the 8.5 mark, and Jelavic. That allows me have a pretty heavyweight 5 in midfield. Will play 3-5-2.

I'm sure that thinking will change back and forth on a daily basis before the start of the season though!

I think Geoff Cameron could play a lot of games in midfield for Stoke this season.

I think Geoff Cameron could play a lot of games in midfield for Stoke this season.

On the wing, or centrally?

Odemwingie and Arnautovic did a lot at the end of last season, hard to see either of them losing a place.

NZonzi is Stoke's rock, and will start every single game if fit. Around him, Whelan, Wilson, Adam, Sidwell, Walters and Ireland are all going to be competing for 2 spots maximum.

I don't think there's any standout candidates there to lose a race versus a Utility defender for a shirt.

Odemwingie and Arnautovic did a lot at the end of last season, hard to see either of them losing a place.

NZonzi is Stoke's rock, and will start every single game if fit. Around him, Whelan, Wilson, Adam, Sidwell, Walters and Ireland are all going to be competing for 2 spots maximum.

I don't think there's any standout candidates there to lose a race versus a Utility defender for a shirt.
    Centrally. Maybe a lot was an exaggeration but I do think he'll play some games in midfield. He started 37 of the 38 games last season so Hughes clearly like him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

A strikeforce of Rooney/Dzeko/Bony would be very interesting. Maybe a little too expensive if one wants big hitters in defence and all over midfield, but certainly manageable and should provide good returns.

Centrally. Maybe a lot was an exaggeration but I do think he'll play some games in midfield. He started 37 of the 38 games last season so Hughes clearly like him.

They didn't have any other options at right full back though. He had to play that number of games.

Huth was injured for a considerable portion of the season and Andy Wilkinson is an absolute nutcase!

Bardsley and Sidwell are interesting signings for him. In a bad way.

(I do a Rep of Ireland team every season so track Stoke a lot! (Stoke have 4 options) and Wilson is also negatively affected by those two transfers, as it means we see a Pieters - Huth - Shawcross - Bardsley back 4 most often imo. Wilson also played well finishing the season at centre half but started the season playing behind NZonzi. I'd see him as a far more natural candidate for that role than Cameron, but Sidwell is far more likely to hoover up those minutes.)

I think Stoke's midfield is too much of a gamble. None of those would fill you with confidence and it's too hard to say which will get the nod. It could be a horses for courses situation as the team gets rotated depending on the need to be more defensive or attack minded. And it wouldn't surprise me to see a couple of those leave in the next few weeks and some new faces come in.

In that price range I have a sneaking suspicion that Joey Barton at QPR is a better bet. He'll start all their games, has a point to prove and has a good manager with a record of getting the best our of temperamental players. He'll be my 5th midfielder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,211 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Paully D wrote: »
    A strikeforce of Rooney/Dzeko/Bony would be very interesting. Maybe a little too expensive if one wants big hitters in defence and all over midfield, but certainly manageable and should provide good returns.

I have RVP in there currently but may downgrade to Rooney. Will all depend on how van Gaal sets his team up and we may get an indication during the preseason matches. Bony brings back bad memories from last season when I had him for ages and then transferred him out before he ran riot against Newcastle and Villa. :o Rumours about him moving to Spurs and could be in danger of rotation then.

Paully D wrote: »

That's a good lineup alright - but aren't you a little uncertain of where Rooney will play? There's talk of Mata being behind RVP and Rooney deeper than that. Don't know if I have that right, but either way if seems a little up in the air.

I'm considering Dzeko/Bony/Jelavic and playing 5 in midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭Gatame

I'm in the RVP Dilemma at the moment as well. If Giroud gets the game time 8.5 is going to be a steal, think of all the ball he'll be getting - Really looking forward to seeing Arsenal play this year. (I think Hazard over Sanchez is a no-brainer though)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭Annie Oakes

Done my team just now: will def make few changes before league kicks off depending on transfer, injuries, pre-season line ups etc..Last season I was inside the top 3000 in ireland so Im usually pretty useful at the fantasy game. anyway Iv gone for:

Green/Schmichael
    Kompany Debuchy Onouha Dann Bruce

Sanchez Fabregas Mata King Grealish

Rooney Sturridge Ings

GK: Basically try get keepers who will keep clean sheets, Iv gone for two cheaper options who i will rotate rather than a big name like Loris or DDG

For Defence I try stick to players who will keep clean sheets: QPR Hull Crystal Palace are very strong defensively imo

Midfield: Took me a while to realise last season but the midfielders were the winning and losing of peoples team last year, and can see it being the same this season with some quality signings bein made by clubs. Sanchez has a proven track record of goals everywhere hes been , was thinking of maybe erikson of spurs insteas of fabregas and is cheaper , might still do it.

Forwards: Man utds first 6 fixtures are very winnable and could score loadsa goals. Ings is a quality player, anybody been watching championship the last 2 seasons will tell u that and he takes penalties for burnley, reckon he is a cert to get 13/15 goals dis season imo. Sturridge will be the focal point of liverpool attack dis season and can see him doing well. Liverpool created loads chances last season and think danny will easily bag 20

Gatame wrote: »
    I'm in the RVP Dilemma at the moment as well. If Giroud gets the game time 8.5 is going to be a steal, think of all the ball he'll be getting - Really looking forward to seeing Arsenal play this year. (I think Hazard over Sanchez is a no-brainer though)

Can't see Giroud not starting tbh.

Giroud
    Sanchez Ozil Walcott
    Rambo Arteta/New player
    Or

Giroud
    Cazorla Ozil Sanchez
    Rambo Arteta/New player

Bottom one until Walcott's back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭Gatame

Is everybody overlooking Crouch as a third striker? Just lookin at his history and taking into account Stoke home form he could be a consistent choice.

Crouch, Ings, Austin, Jelavic, Long, Wickham.. Can't make my decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

That's a good lineup alright - but aren't you a little uncertain of where Rooney will play? There's talk of Mata being behind RVP and Rooney deeper than that. Don't know if I have that right, but either way if seems a little up in the air.

I'm considering Dzeko/Bony/Jelavic and playing 5 in midfield.

Some media reports suggest that van Gaal may play Rooney in midfield to allow Mata/RVP to take up their preferred roles.

IMO it'd be a wise move. Rooney is the poorest of those three players for me. Mata and RVP should be allowed to play in their best roles.

Lemlin wrote: »
    Some media reports suggest that van Gaal may play Rooney in midfield to allow Mata/RVP to take up their preferred roles.

IMO it'd be a wise move. Rooney is the poorest of those three players for me. Mata and RVP should be allowed to play in their best roles.

Yeah, this is why I'm reluctant to get him.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

I saw on Sky Sports News that if Lovren moves to Liverpool then Koeman could be interested in bringing Vlaar to Southampton. Take it with a table spoon of salt but another thing to keep an eye on.

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/premierleague/status/491213616595861504

Felipe Luis at 6.0m. Hmm, now I'm torn between him and Azpi. Any Chelsea supporter care to weigh in on who's more nailed? Luis created more chances last season but Azpi was out of position.

Evra gone to Juventus so Shaw pretty much guaranteed to start every game at Lb I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,286 ✭✭✭slingerz

4-4-2 is the formation of choice for me this year i feel.

Think the forward options are too expensive really and there is better value in the midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

https://twitter.com/premierleague/status/491213616595861504

Felipe Luis at 6.0m. Hmm, now I'm torn between him and Azpi. Any Chelsea supporter care to weigh in on who's more nailed? Luis created more chances last season but Azpi was out of position.

I'd expect (read hoping) that Luis starts LB, Ivan gets dropped and Azpi gets to play RB. I don't think we'd spend so much on a 29 y/o to sit on the bench... Both good options with the new BPs rules, think I'll be giving Luis a go for 6m

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Yeah I think I'm going to go for Luis as my Chelsea defender, was hoping he'd be 6 if not it'll be Terry but I'm chancing that FB's are able to rival CBs with the dribble stat being added to the BPS.

That 0.5 would be useful too.

I'd expect (read hoping) that Luis starts LB, Ivan gets dropped and Azpi gets to play RB. I don't think we'd spend so much on a 29 y/o to sit on the bench... Both good options with the new BPs rules, think I'll be giving Luis a go for 6m
    Luis had 7 yellows and 1 red last season; Azpi only had 1 yellow! I still can't decide

• Advertisement

Yeah I think I'm going to go for Luis as my Chelsea defender, was hoping he'd be 6 if not it'll be Terry but I'm chancing that FB's are able to rival CBs with the dribble stat being added to the BPS.

That 0.5 would be useful too.
    I'm doubling up on Azpi and Terry right now :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 49 SimplyBlue

Team at the moment is, Begovic, Coleman, Luis, Cahil, Cameron, Boyd, Sterling, Sanchez Hazard, Sturridge & Giroud

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Ferdinand in at 4.5m, any takers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Cameron, Chester or Santon lads?

Cameron has some competition at Stoke with Bardsley coming in.
    Not sure on Chester's situation and Santon is nailed on, albeit in a shaky defence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

i.m.o. Cameron is pretty safe to start ahead of Bardsley. He played nearly every game last season, whereas Bardsley played very little. Cameron impressed in the World Cup also i thought. My opinion is that Bardsley was bought for backup (he can play lb as well as far as i know). we'll see soon, but i'd be quite surprised if a fit Cameron didn't start against Villa.

• Advertisement

manual_man wrote: »
    i.m.o. Cameron is pretty safe to start ahead of Bardsley. He played nearly every game last season, whereas Bardsley played very little. Cameron impressed in the World Cup also i thought. My opinion is that Bardsley was bought for backup (he can play lb as well as far as i know). we'll see soon, but i'd be quite surprised if a fit Cameron didn't start against Villa.
    Meh, as a USA supporter Cameron wasn't that good. Although he did play defensive midfield for a couple matches which didn't help.

Leicester just signed a new striker. Leonardo Ullman for 8m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Leicester just signed a new striker. Leonardo Ullman for 8m.

Leonardo Ulloa I think you mean. Tried googling Ullman and was getting Leonard Altman!

8 million for a 27 year old Argentine who hasn't even a youth cap. Good luck Leicester.

Leonardo Ulloa I think you mean. Tried googling Ullman and was getting Leonard Altman!

8 million for a 27 year old Argentine who hasn't even a youth cap. Good luck Leicester.

Yeah autocorrect must have changed what I wrote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Scored a lot of goals for Brighton in the last 18mths. Not as many as Ings, Austin or Nugent mind. Wouldn't worry about him from FF perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Scored a lot of goals for Brighton in the last 18mths. Not as many as Ings, Austin or Nugent mind. Wouldn't worry about him from FF perspective.

It will probably effect nugents gametime though I see they are also being linked with a 7 million deal for troy Deeney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Reports from Spain that Bojan has accepted an offer from Stoke,could be a hidden gem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Negredo is out for a few months. Dzeko should be a guaranteed start alongside Aguero. Piss cheap at 8.5 IMO.

zerks wrote: »
    Reports from Spain that Bojan has accepted an offer from Stoke,could be a hidden gem.

Interesting but he hasn't been that prolific anywhere he's gone though has he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Anybody else unconvinced by United's defense? I see a lot going for De Gea/Shaw. On one hand I think LVG will get them more organized, as well as having a nice opening run of fixtures, but on the other hand I just can't forget how leaky they were last year, and also Ferdinand/Vidic are both gone, probably the 2 players that were most responsible for all the clean sheets they racked up over the last good few years.

• Advertisement
Advertisement